We are the best neighborhood but sometimes shit happens. Here is the worst of Greenpoint 2013 in no particular order. We are saving the best for last of course so don’t get all down in the dumps because 2013 did rule.
• HOMELESS FAIL. After a meeting at Greenpoint Church with angry residents opposed to the homeless respite and those in support, it moved to Ascension Church. After closing for the warm weather, it did not reopen this winter and a man died in McGolrick Park. Then this woman got KICKED by a homeless man on Manhattan Ave.
• And let’s not forget the walk-thru at the Greenpoint Hotel.
• HOLIDAY FAIL. First there is NO HALLOWEEN at this elementary school, then local biz orgs can’t get their shit together in enough time to make EVERYONE happy, so no one enjoys holiday lights on Manhattan Ave.
• WATERFRONT FAIL. Greenpoint Landing‘s promise of a “new community” by Bloomberg, 77 Commercial St. rises to 30-40 stories for “affordable” housing and an already failed park promise, plus feeling like our local politicians really don’t give a shit about what we have to say despite letting them ramble on and on made the waterfront developments a shit show nightmare this year.
• WINNING FAILURE – Greenpoint had the MOST complaints for public drinking and public urination. Don’t judge…
• Horrifying Crimes. Rape on Java St + sexual assault spree + pistol whipping + peeping Tom returns to Humboldt St + lots of businesses robbed + possible hassidic on black hate crime so we looked at Crime Stats.
• WORST BLUNDER – we reported someone was dead – who was really alive. Shame but at least it’s actually good news (wrapped in super crappy reporting).
• JUST BULLSHIT. Punks in McGorlick Park vandalize, set fires and mess with dogs… Kids these days.
• FAIL LIC. RIP 5 Pointz.