Ahead of the June primary election for the New York State Assembly’s 50th District (which includes sections of Greenpoint and Williamsburg), incumbent Joe Lentol and challenger Emily Gallagher will both hold petitioning launch events this weekend with supporters in order to get on the ballot. Continue reading
Sicilian Dinner, Nobody’s Hosting Drag Race, Bern Fest, Art of SPAM, What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/26-3/4)
* Meet two of the NYC Comptroller Candidates! @ ABC Child Center (109 Nassau Ave), 6pm, both Council Member Helen Rosethal and State Senator Kevin S. Parker will be available to meet local community members and share their experiences, More Info
☺ Star Wars A Free Comedy Show @ Kinfolk (90 Wythe Ave.), 730pm, FREE, More Info
♫ John Zorn’s Stone Commissioning Series presents: Miles Okazaki and Dan Weiss @ National Sawdust Tracks (80 N 6th St.), 7pm, $25, RSVP
♫ Alice Cohen + Ch 14 Weather Team, Andy Aylward, Transistor Ray @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave.), 8pm, $10, More Info
♦ First Gallery Opening @ Shop Small Home (100 Freeman St), 7pm, FREE, cartoons done (by your talented, local USPS deliveryman, Carl) w/ marker + paint on canvas, ACCESSIBLY PRICED, More Info
* Parenting in the Age of Climate Change @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St.) 630pm, FREE, how do we talk to our children about climate change? How do we incorporate climate activism into the busy routine of parenting? More Info
# The Art of SPAM @ MOFAD – Museum of Food and Drink (62 Bayard St.), 7pm, $25, an interactive discussion about the history of SPAM, the canned meat, in the Asia-Pacific and its connection to war, class, and nostalgia, Buy Tix Continue reading
North Brooklyn residents and community groups are holding a rally outside of a fundraiser for Governor Andrew Cuomo at Giano On The Water (400 Kent Ave.) in Williamsburg to protest National Grid’s fracked gas pipeline, known as the Metropolitan Reliability Infrastructure Project, that is making its way toward Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint.
Brownsville saw the start of the 6.8-mile-long pipeline’s construction in 2018, and the project quietly progressed toward North Brooklyn where local residents say that they were only recently informed of the plan.
Small businesses in East Williamsburg have reportedly taken a massive hit from the construction and road closures, and critics say that a $185 million rate hike is anticipated for National Grid customers in New York over the next three years to cover the pipeline’s costs. Continue reading
Debate Watch Party, Outlaw Wrestling, Democratizing Design, Trip N’ Draw — What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/19-2/25)
* Debate Watch Party @ Magazine (130 Franklin St), 9pm, FREEE, beer pizza and debate watch party, More Info
* Debate Watch Party with Senator Julia Salazar @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 730pm, Donation-based, Buy Tix
♫ Sonoscopia (Phobos), Crystal Penalosa, Ed Bear @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, More Info
☺ Hey! It’s a Comedy Show! @ Silver Light Tavern (689 Lorimer St), 630pm, $5, one of the country’s hottest headliners as well as the cities best up-and-comers, admission includes a free beer, RSVP
* Outlaw Wrestling presented by NYWC @ Our Lady of Mount Carmel Gym (275 N 8th St), 8pm, $20, Outlaw Wrestling in Williamsburg! Buy Tix
# An Evening with Lukas Volger of JARRY Magazine + Start Simple @ Archestratus Books & Foods (160 Huron St) 630pm, $10-$35, a conversation, Q + A, and signing, Buy Tix
☺ Green Series: Artist Talk @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 630pm, FREE, Join ecological artist Mary Mattingly in a talk where she explores the notion of “the commons” as it has informed her artistic practice and her ways of engaging with other citizens through public art projects, More Info
# Nourishing Japan: Food Education & School Lunch in Japan @ MOFAD Lab (62 Bayard St), 7pm, $25, Embark on a delicious journey from farmer’s field to school classroom that celebrates how one country has re-imagined school lunch and food education, Buy Tix Continue reading
Greenpointers really showed the love this past Sunday at our Valentine’s Day Market. From a luscious floral-filled “Love Lounge” to swoon-worthy handcrafted goodies–the Greenpoint Loft was brimming with SO much local support it made our little hearts sing. Check out our photobooth and see if you can spot yourself!
The Love Lounge—a candy-colored confection of roses and sweetheart sayings, was the crafty creations of the wildly talented, women-owned businesses Something Taylored Rentals, Modern Rebel event planning, Little Sister Creative and Ars Poetica. Visitors snuggled up to get personalized poems and play relationship guessing games. The Wizard of Greenpoint brought some magic to the lounge with his tarot card readings. Continue reading
Another public meeting with local elected officials in regards to real estate development in the neighborhood is scheduled for later this month.
Phil Collins Day 2020, Valentine’s Karaoke Party, River Street Master Plan Meeting — What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/12-2/18)
Restaurant Week is back on Grand Street for its 7th Winter Edition from February 18th to March 1st. 15 of the best eats in Williamsburg are offering 3 course prix fixe dinners at discounted rates from $12 to $35 as Brooklyn’s annual answer to Manhattan’s pricier Restaurant Week. (Sponsored)
* Man-Eater: Cannibal Women in Film @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave), 7pm, $12-$15, this lecture focuses on women cannibals in films from the past fifty years. These women devour – sexually, metaphorically and, sometimes, literally, Buy Tix
* Rep Your Block Meetup @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 6pm, FREE, Want to join the campaign to change the Democratic Party in Brooklyn? Come and meet your neighbors who are talking about “County Committee” and how we can become voting members of the Democratic Party in our borough, More Info
♫ Rocky and The Pressers + Brother Jerome @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $10, More Info
☺ Funhouse Comedy @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 630pm, $5, stand-up comedy showcase hosted by Brooklyn stand up comedians, Buy Tix Continue reading
A discussion on the River Street Mater Plan and the environmental review process known as ULURP will be discussed at a community meeting hosted by the North Brooklyn Neighbors this Thursday at the Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave.) at 6:30 p.m.
The Two Trees Management project calls for 1,000 residential units (250 affordable) between two buildings with a new 47,000-sf YMCA and 30,000-sf of retail space. Bjarke Ingels Group revealed the design and renderings last December. Continue reading
Greenpoint’s very-own undefeated heavyweight boxing contender Adam “Babyface” Kownacki is returning to the neighborhood this weekend for a meet and greet with fans ahead of his big fight scheduled for next month in Brooklyn.
Your chance to meet Kownacki will be this Saturday at Dunne’s Polemost Liquors (698 Manhattan Ave) at 430 p.m.
Kownacki, who has an impressive 20-0 record with 15 KOs, was born in Poland and grew up in Greenpoint where he has a large support base.
The hometown hero will return to the ring in a main event title elimination match vs. Robert Helenius at Barclays Center on Saturday, March 7th that will also be aired on Fox.
View this post on Instagram
The day you plant the seed is not the day you eat the fruit. MARCH 7 FOX BARCLAYS CENTER • • • 🧢 👕 AK Gear/T-Shirts 👕🧢 www.akbabyface.com 10% Off Promo Code- GOBABYFACE 🎫 🥊Tickets/Bilety 🥊 🎫 NJ: Eryk- +1 (908) 400-4019 ❌ Maspeth/Ridgewood/Queens: Oskar- (646) 778-2777 Wojtek- +1 (347) 499-2556 Martyna- +1 (347) 357-8753 Lukasz- 347-556-0089 Johnnys Cafe (tylko $117) 60-39 Fresh Pond Rd, Maspeth, NY 11378 Pewex 60-49 Fresh Pond Rd, Maspeth, NY 11378 ❌ Greenpoint/Brooklyn: Music Planet 649 Manhattan Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11222 Dunne’s Liquor Store 698 Manhattan Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11222 ❌ Connecticut: Podlasie Meat Market 188 High St, New Britain, CT 06051 ❌ Long Island: Crumbs Bakery 1020 Montauk Hwy, Copiague, NY 11726 ❌ Online: www.akbabyface.com
At age 30, Kownacki is fighting to become the first-ever Polish heavyweight boxing champion, and the March 7th fight will be his 10th at Barclay’s, the boxer tells ESPN:
It’s great to be fighting in Barclays Center for the 10th time,” Kownacki said. “The last nine bouts ended in victory for me, and March 7 won’t be any different. I’m happy that Fox is showcasing the fight on free television like it was back in the old days, and with the action my fights bring, it’s definitely must-watch TV. I know Helenius will be looking to pull an upset and take my place in the rankings, but I won’t let that happen. I’m already in camp with my trainers Keith Trimble and Chris Carlsen getting ready. After this fight, I want the winner of [Deontay] Wilder vs. [Tyson] Fury II.”
Greenpointers Valentine’s Market, North Brooklyn Pipeline Info Session, Vegan Shabbat Dinner — What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (2/5-2/11)
Literary vibes and local roots are budding at this year’s A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-themed Greenpointers Valentine’s Market! On Sunday, Feb 9th, 1-7pm, under the rustic wooden beams of the restored Greenpoint loft (67 West St 5th Flr), we’re celebrating our love of local with 60+ of Brooklyn’s best indie crafters. Sip on seasonal brews and shop your heart away from a curated selection of swoon-worthy treasures and tasty treats. There will be lots of FREE activities including face painting, henna tattoos, massages, tarot card readings and a special Valentine’s scratch-off station for kids. This year we’ve put together an epic tree-filled 3D photo booth to capture those awesome selfies! FREE gift bags of art supplies by Blick Art Materials for the first 100 guests! RSVP today and join us for the most unique shopping experiences in Brooklyn!
* Info Session on National Grid Pipeline in Greenpoint/Williamsburg @ Polish and Slavic Center (176 Java St), 630pm, FREE, National Grid is expanding a fracked gas transmission pipeline in Williamsburg and Greepoint, hear from Sane Energy Project on how, More Info
* 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ St. John’s Lutheran Church (155 Milton St), 7pm, FREE, join Captain Kathleen Fahey and the 94 Precinct Community Council at the monthly public meeting, More Info
♫ Dervisi @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More Info
* The Method: Artist Development Workshop @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 630pm, FREE, bring your assets (music, video, social media) and walk through ways to take your career to the next level, followed by a Q&A, More Info
♫ Com Truise (DJ Set) @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave) 10pm, $20, Buy Tix
☺ Keeping it Fresh! @ Easy Lover (790 Metropolitan Ave), 9pm, FREE, a stand-up comedy show with NYC talent, More Info
* Behind the Scenes at the City Reliquary @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 630pm, $25, during a private tour with the founder, explore obscure ephemera from past and present daily life in New York, Buy Tix
♫ Big Huge, Brower, Sweet Baby Jesus, Pink Mexico @ Saint Vitus Bar
(1120 Manhattan Ave), 7pm, $10, Buy Tix