Stop by Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) tonight for the opening of Self-Distributed: a new photo series by Matt Coats, local photographer and beer consumer, who spent his summer vacation tracking down and photographing craft brewers in NYC that self distribute their wares. For many small breweries, self distribution is a critical business move. While extremely physical and time consuming, small breweries can gain an extra 25-30% income that they would otherwise be yielding to distributors. On top of the percentage cut, self-distribution methods harken back to an old-timey era of business, when manufacturers and retailers connected on a more neighborly level.
Check out the opening tonight, Sept. 18, 7 pm-close, at Brouwerij Lane, and try some of the beers made by the makers in Matt’s work! The show will be up all month long. Some of the breweries on tap tonight include: Singlecut Beersmiths, Gun Hill Brewing Company, Finback Brewery, Transmitter Brewing, Dirck the Norseman(aka Greenpoint Beer & Ale Co.), Rockaway Brewing Co., and Other Half Brewing Company.
WEDNESDAY 3/19 ♦ BiblioCraft Book Launch Party @ Brooklyn Craft Company (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7–8:30pm, FREE, Celebrate the launch of BiblioCraft: A Modern Crafter’s Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects by Jessica Pigza, with craft projects and pink sugar cookies, RSVP ☺ The Cause B Show VII: Bushwick Bound @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8–10:30pm, FREE (plus free beer with donation), this monthly comedy series raises money and awareness for Make The Road, a Bushwick organization that serves and engages New York communities facing shared hardships and injustices, RSVP Continue reading →
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
(sponsored) Carnival Concert @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) Sunday 2/23, 3pm, $25/$15 students/seniors. If you’re into classical music at an authentic Greenpoint venue, then don’t miss this! String players from the NY Philharmonic & international opera soloists perform the music of Lehar, J.Strauss, Donizetti, Verdi, Mozart, Rossini, Oginsky and Jotejko, not to mention a 30 voice choir sings Handel’s “Hallelujah,” PLUS Polish American Folk Dancers, in traditional costume perform “Oginski Polonaise,” Buy Tix
* Pop Your Cherry with Sailor Jerry @ Passenger Bar (229 Roebling St) Sunday 2/2, 8pm, FREE, Celebrate the birth of Steve Lewis of BlackBookMag with Sailor Jerry drink specials all night, and complimentary cherry tattoos (from Mehai of Fineline Tattoo) for those of you who always want to pop your cherry tattoo cherry (got it?), With DJ Steve Lewis and Special Guests
THURSDAY 1/30 # Breuckelen Distilling @ Duke’s Liquor Box (170 Franklin St) 6pm, Sample some gin and whiskey, made with locally grown grains ☺ Split Personality: Storytelling & Character Open Mike @ Over the Eight (592 Union Ave) 7-8pm, Free, put your name in a hat for a chance to perform a 5 min sketch or comedy routine, with special guests Frank Garcia Hejl (UCB) / Laura Wilcox (MTV’s Hey Girl) / DJ 106 & Clark, More Info ♦ Dylan J Clarke Opening @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway) 7-10pm, FREE, Revel in Clarke’s explorations of color and space as he transforms the gallery into an experience of geometric psychedelia, with music from KEN South ROCK, RSVP * BARC Fundraiser & Trivia Night @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, $10, revenues donated to the Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition, Hosted by Gusty Winds with a bonus segment entitled, “Are you smarter than a drag queen?”, we don’t know what that question means exactly, but hey, it’s for a good cause Continue reading →
THURSDAY 1/23 • The Loaded Canon @ Brooklyn Oenology (209 Wythe Ave #106) 7pm, FREE, hear the latest works-in-progress from NYC’s rising generation of writings, while savoring drinks inspired by the words you’re hearing, live music from Teen Girl Scientist Monthly, RSVP • Greenpoint Designers January Meet Up @ The Pencil Factory (122 West St) 7pm, FREE, sip hot toddies and get cozy with fellow local designers, RSVP ♫ 5th NYC Busker Ball @ Spike Hill (184 Bedford Ave) 7:30pm, FREE (w/ Suggested Donation), Listen to the musical stylings of this curated bunch of subway buskers featuring Gabe Royal / Blueberryseason / Theo Eastwind Band, More Info
*♫ Johanna Samuels / Lip Talk / Lazer Cake @ Cameo Gallery (93 N6th St) 8pm, $8, BUY TIX ♫ Guilty Pleasures: Music You Hate to Love @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, listen to all the songs that make you nostalgic for the times you hated them, More Info ♫ Kiss & Tell 8 Year Anniversary @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 9pm-4am, $12, with performances from The Crystal Ark / THe Neurotic Drum Band / Analog Soul, BUY TIX Continue reading →
(Sponsored) * Natural Makeup Class @ Brooklyn Groove (102 B Nassau Ave) 6-8:30pm, Wednesday 1/15, FREE, Let’s be real, no one wants a face caked with makeup. It’s not a good look, unless your a drag burlesque performer (in which case, we’ll make an exception). Lucky for us, professional makeup artist, Tara Schwartz is hosting this workshop to share her insider tips and tricks to create flawless makeup, using special natural color cosmetics. Bring your ladiez and perfect that glowing, swoon-inducing au natural look, More Info
♦ #SELLOUT @ Reverse Gallery (28 Frost St) 1-4pm (and Friday 1/10 opening party 8-11pm), FREE, This five-day event will feature artists who aim to take on the fine art world, showcasing the artistry of selling out, featuring a specialty sellout cocktail (made of money and shame?), with free mimosas on 1/11 & 1/12 from 2-4pm, More Info, RSVP ☺ Abemixture’s Fancy Four Year Anniversary Soiree @ Legion (790 Manhattan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, AbeMixture is celebrating its 4th Bday with music, comedy and free pizza, wear your fanciest duds for a chance to win best dressed (= free booze), RSVP ♫ Big Ups LP Release with Flagland / Mannequin Pussy / Washer @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, RSVP ♫ The Shondes supportingAgainst Me! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St) 8pm, $20, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading →
• Pictures With Santa @ Community Garden near the McCarren Park Dog Run, SATURDAY (12/21), 12-4pm, FREE, put your furry friends in their best seasonal sweaters (ideally you have one to match) and get your family photo snapped with Santa! Holiday card, complete.
WEDNESDAY 12/18 • How Metal Stole Christmas Trivia Extravaganza @ Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 7:30-10pm, FREE, Grinch it up at this black Christmas revelry, with cheap drink specials and bonus points to any team who comes dressed in leather or as a grumpy cat ♫ BestNewBands.com Showcase with Honduras / Shy Hunters / The Wendigo / Spirit Plate / Jumpers @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $7, RSVP ♫ Every Time I Die / LetLive / Code Orange Kids / Angel Du$t @ Saint Vitus Bar (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, SOLD OUT, RSVP # Rarities from the Cellar @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 8pm, $20, Sample craft beers from the hidden Diamond vault, while munching on smoked schevre and aged cheddar (drool), More Info ♫ Lilith Velkor / Larp / Dirt Bikes / (E) Motion Picture @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, FREE, RSVP
♦ The Shape of Control @ Java Studios Gallery (252 Java St, Suite 308) FRIDAY (11/8) 7-11 pm, FREE, Group show featuring paintings, photographs, and sculptures that depict human interaction with nature, exploring the way in which reality is preserved and/or distorted through documentation and storytelling, includes work from artists Robby Rose (paintings of defaced sculptures of ancient Greek heroes)/ Nathalie Shepherd (paintings of idealized female muses) / Vriginia Ines Vergara (photographs wilderness dioramas through multiple lenses) / Divya Anantharaman (brings the animal into our environment with Black Bear Taxidermy), on view through December 6, RSVP, Catalog
WEDNESDAY 11/6 • Muchmore’s Free Poker Tournament @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 7-8:30pm, FREE, ok gamblers, this one’s for you… except instead of losing money you get to play for free and potentially win a $25 bar tab (!!), RSVP
* GCEF Networking Event @ Polish Slavic Center (176 Java St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, network with community members who are applying for grants from the Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund ♦ Opening: John F. Moore Jr. @ The Habitat (998 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Moore exhibits his abstract, trippy paintings, RSVP * Greenpoint Designers MEET UP @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7-9pm, there’s a lot of you design-y folks around here (I see you lookin’ all cool, working on your typography), how about you meet each other and talk about it over drinks and prizes and form a community, or whatever RSVP ♦ Daniel Johnston: here @ Reverse Space (28 Frost St) 7-9pm, Opening for a traveling exhibition of images taken of the iconic singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston by documentary/portrait photographer Jung Kim, capturing his life on the road and at home in Waller, TX, More Info * Everyday is Like Sunday @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, Catch a special screening of this Toronto film about “being young and getting older/drinking too much,” co-starring Nick Thorburn of the band Islands and formerly The Unicorms, the theme hits a little close to home, but hey, the Toronto Star called it “Scrappy but endearing,” RSVP ♫ Heliotropes / Flown / Black Lagoon / Beech Creeps @ The Acheron (57 Waterbury St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10 (I must be tired because I read Beech Creeps as “Beach Crepes” and got really excited/hungry), RSVP
WEDNESDAY 10/23 • Bear Republic Brewing Night @ The Exley (1 Jackson St) 8pm, buy a beer, keep the glass. Flights, pairings, and great company. • Poker Philanthropy Fundraiser @ t.b.d. Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30pm, FREE, 20 seat Texas Holdem tournament to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, RSVP to pokerphilanthropy [at] gmail [dot] com for a guaranteed seat, More Info • Storytelling with Barry Gifford @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7-8pm, FREE, Author of Wild at Heart celebrates his new short story collection, The Roy Stories, with a reading accompanied by jazz guitarist, Miles Okazki, RSVP ♫ New Year World Rock Festival 2013 with SKATERS / Hunters / Teen / Free Time / DJ Vapors @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $12, BUY TIX, RSVP Continue reading →