Literary vibes and local roots are budding at this year’s A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-themed Greenpointers Valentine’s Market! On Sunday, Feb 9th, 1-7pm, under the rustic wooden beams of the restored Greenpoint loft (67 West St 5th Flr), we’re celebrating our love of local with 60+ of Brooklyn’s best indie crafters. Sip on seasonal brews and shop your heart away from a curated selection of swoon-worthy treasures and tasty treats. There will be lots of FREE activities including face painting, henna tattoos, massages, tarot card readings and a special Valentine’s scratch-off station for kids. This year we’ve put together an epic tree-filled 3D photo booth to capture those awesome selfies! FREE gift bags of art supplies by Blick Art Materials for the first 100 guests! RSVP today and join us for the most unique shopping experiences in Brooklyn!
* Citywide Open Waters Long Term Control Plan Public Meeting – Recommended Plan @ CUNY School of Law (2 Court Square W), 630pm, FREE, DEP (NYC Water) will be presenting plans to address the ongoing billions of gallons of Sewage Overflow that pollute the East River, Hudson River, Harlem River, Upper and Low Bay and Staten Island waterway every year,More Info * North Brooklyn Extinction Rebellion Planning Meeting @ PencilWorks (61 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, FREE, Buzz 954 & come up to the 6th floor. Head through the doors to the back of the floor, More Info ♫ Anjali Rose Ariah & RainJohannes Eva LoVullo San Dellla @ 66th Congress (66 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, $10 (door), More Info * Comm Comm 2020 @ Bushwick Inlet Park Community Building (86 Kent Ave), 630pm, FREE, join the Comm Comm, an open forum and independent entity that acts as a platform for information sharing, networking, in accordance with the North Brooklyn Parks Alliance, RSVP
*♫ 1st Annual Concert to Benefit City Harvest @ The Gutter (200 N 14th St) 8pm, $10 (door), celebrate with live music and help us reach the goal of $30k for City Harvest! More Info * Environmental Justice & Health Working Group @GreenDesk (240 Kent Ave), 630pm, FREE, North Brooklyn Neighbors bring neighbors together to develop community-based strategies to combat issues of air pollution, legacy toxins, toxic sites, and trash & waste, More Info ^ Art & Story Series @ The Moore Street Market “La Marqueta de Williamsburg” (110 Moore St), 430pm, FREE, come learn about the Three Kings and participate in an art activity! More Info # Black Rabbit Review Issue 2 @ Black Rabbit (91 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, FREE, featuring music, readings and more! More Info ♫ Changing the Narrative with Monument @ Getaway Brooklyn, (158 Green St), 8pm, $8, a special panel on how we can open up the conversation about alcohol addiction and recovery, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Thanksgiving Eve Dance Party! @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, FREE, The world’s greatest Thanksgiving Eve party returns to Union Pool on Wednesday night!, More Info * Game Night – Thanksgiving Edition @ Getaway Brooklyn (158 Green St), 5pm, FREE, BYO Board game or play one! Scrabble, CODENAME, Exploding Kittens, Spaceteam, Time’s Up, Splendor, UNO, and MANY MORE, More Info ♫ Thanksgiving Eve Karaoke/Drive @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave) 8pm, FREE, bring a can/ cans of food, item or coat to donate to charity. Your hosts will be giving away prizes all night to those who donate and sing their butts off, More Info ♫ Vintage Trouble – Chapter II World Tour w/ Hollis Brown @ Rough Trade NYC (64 N 9th St), 9pm, $25, Buy Tix
THURSDAY 11/28 – Happy Thanksgiving!
Dance with the sugar plum fairies inside our dreamy Nutcracker-themed Holiday Market on Sunday, Dec 8th, 1-7 pm. Located inside the gorgeous Greenpoint Loft (67 West St, 5th Flr.), our highly-curated selection of indie makers will be selling irresistible handcrafted gifts and tasty treats. Warm your cockles with FREE fun activities including Acupuncture Treatments, Tarot Readings, Face Painting, Nail Art, Holiday Ornament Making and more!
* Transportation Committee Mtg — Community Board 1 @ Swinging 60’S Senior Citizens Center (211 Ainslie St) 630pm, FREE, monthly public transportation committee meeting, Calyer triangle intersection safety proposal and Maspeth Ave improvements to be discussed, More Info * Black and Pink Mail Processing @ Sunview Lunchnet (221 Nassau Ave), 6pm, FREE, meet to read and respond to letters; snacks provided, More Info ♫ Dervisi @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, FREE, More Info ♦ Spider-Man: From Amazing to Spectacular @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 7pm, $5+, an animated discussion about everyone’s favorite web-slinger, Buy Tix
* North Brooklyn Development Meeting – Revisiting the Rezoning of 2005 @ Polish and Slavic Center (177 Kent St), 7pm, FREE, Join local politicians and the Dept. of City Planning to discuss where new affordable and market-rate housing is being built, jobs, and open green space, More Info * Brooklyn Bus Network Redesign Open House @ Williamsburgh Library (240 Division Ave), 6pm, FREE, an open house session hosted by the MTA to gain community input on the bus network redesign, More Info * Change Our Air-Community Forum (Foro Comunitario) @ El Puente (211 S 4th St), 5pm, FREE, artists, youth activists, help advocate for the right to clean air and green open spaces through art and activism, More Info ☺ Hey! It’s a Comedy Show @ Villain (307 Kent Ave), 8pm, 730pm, $5 door, a stand-up comedy show featuring Aparna Nancherla this week, More Info
♦ Bad Theater Fest 2019 @ The Brick (579 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $20, a collection of low-budget, eclectic, unusual, different, fantastic short plays, Buy Tix *World Food Day Celebration @ FREEHOLD Brooklyn (45 S 3rd St), 530pm, FREE, Help raise awareness for World Food Day and learn about food sustainability. Canned food donations will be accepted to benefit Los Sures, More Info ♫ Taylor McFerrin w/ Raia Wash @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St) 8pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ Low Light, Herjaza, Indisposed, On Better Terms, granite to glass @ Kingsland (269 Norman Ave) 7pm, $8, Buy Tix
* Communities Resist Launch Party @ Carneval (507 Grand St), 6pm, $25-$30, Open bar, hors d’oeuvres, raffle, free prizes and more! Learn how you can help keep families in their homes, Buy Tix ♫ Goldie Awards @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 7pm, $25, 3rd Annual DJ & Beat Battle is a new type of competition for DJs and producers that recognizes the endless creative nature in music, Buy Tix * Outlaw Wrestling @ Our Lady of Mount Carmel Gym (275 N 8th St) 8pm, $25-$30, Buy Tix ♫ The Revolution Volume 43 @ National Sawdust (80 N 6th St) 8pm, $15, performance series highlighting Brooklyn & Harlem based artists + musicians, Buy TixContinue reading →
# Ambient Lullabies @ Areté Venue and Gallery (67 West St #103), 730pm, $20 suggested, the audience is invited to bring journals, sketchbooks, paintings and any silent creative work that compliments listening to music, More Info ♫ Salsa by the Water @ Domino Park, 6pm, FREE, lessons followed by open dance, with a live DJ, More Info ♫ Stone Series @ National Sawdust (80 N 6th St) 7pm, $25, a performance by improvising guitarist, banjo player, vocalist, and poet Wendy Eisenberg, Buy Tix # Pumping 101 @ The Wild BK (272 Driggs Ave), 1pm, $45, learn all you need to get pumping off to a good start!!! Come pregnant or with baby! Buy Tix
☺ Summer Soundwalks “Walkie Talkie Dream Garden” @ East River State Park (90 Kent Ave), 6pm, FREE, a very special guided soundwalk on the Williamsburg waterfront, RSVP * Outlaw Women’s Wrestling @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $30, Buy Tix ♦ Block Printing on Textiles @Better Than Jam’s (20 Grattan St) 630pm, $65, a quick carve “Block” all tools are provided, as well as textiles sample pieces and papers. Students are welcome to bring your own materials to print on too, Buy Tix ☺GHOST TOWN Comedy @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St), 630pm, comedy, culture, dating (and failing at it) all intersect at this hilarious stand-up showcase, More InfoContinue reading →
# 18th Ward Brewing Soft Opening @ 18th Ward Brewing (300 Richardson St), 4pm, FREE,More Info ♫ Salsa by the Water @ Domino Park, 6pm, FREE, lessons followed by open dance, with a live DJ, More Info ♦ Opening Art Experiments Session for Kids @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St) 3pm, FREE, children are invited to use the materials in the studio to create ideas at their own pace, RSVP ♫ Koffee @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 7pm, $35 (suggested), Buy Tix
☺ Forward Union Presents Cry Until You Laugh @ Kickstarter HQ (58 Kent St), 630pm, $10-$25 suggested, enjoy a stunning Brooklyn rooftop (thanks, Kickstarter HQ!) for a night of sadistic comedic relief, Buy Tix * Debate Watch Party w Senator Julia Salazar @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 6pm, FREE, a watch party of the third Democratic Debate More Info ♦ Taste of Iceland in New York City: “Shortfish” Screening @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave) 7pm, FREE, a film from an up-and-coming Icelandic filmmaker, More Info ♦ A Theatrical Poetry Event by Open Heart Surgery Theatre @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 6pm, $5, live music and excerpts from the US premiere of “This Is Why We Live,” opening September 19th at La MaMa, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Salsa by the Water @ Domino Park, 6pm, FREE, lessons followed by open dance, with a live DJ, More Info ♫ Dervisi @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE,More Info ☺ Funhouse Comedy @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3 St) 830pm, FREE, stand up comedy show with rotating guests, More Info ♫ Limited Resources 33 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 9pm, $10 (suggested), More Info
♦ Movies Under the Stars: “Rushmore” @ Bushwick Inlet Park (50 Kent St. Pop-up Park), 730pm, FREE, movie screening outdoors with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop (the movie is rated R), More Info ♫ All Robyn Everything – Detox’s Drag Con Pre-Game Edition! @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 6pm, $15, Buy Tix # Le Dîner de Dali @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $50, a gustatory and visual dining experience inspired by Dali’s Surrealist approach to food and pleasure,Buy Tix ♦ Cande Aguilar: barrioPOP – Opening @ 81 Leonard Gallery (81 Leonard St), 6pm, FREE, a collection of multimedia artworks focusing on the experience of living in a bilingual border culture, RSVPContinue reading →
* Compost Workshop @ Domino Park, 6pm, FREE, learn the full life cycle of organic waste. Get your hands dirty and see how dinner scraps get turned into a vital nutrient-rich soil amendment, More Info ♫ Stone Series: Fred Frith and Heike Liss – Drawing Sound @ National Sawdust (80 N 6th St), 7pm, $25, Buy Tix ♫ Open House & Rooftop Drinks @ Dobbin St (64 Dobbin St), 630pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Chakra Balancing Kundalini Workshop @ HumanAEase (31 Nassau Ave), 7pm, $35, a journey of chakra balance and mindfulness to the tune of live music, Buy Tix
♦ Free day! Beyond The Streets NYC @ Beyond The Streets (25 Kent Ave), 11am, FREE, over 150 Artists displaying, last entry at 7pm, More Info # NBXR Potluck Picnic @ McCarren Park, 6pm, FREE, Bring a dish or snack and come out and mingle. More Info ♫ New Moon, New Energy @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 8pm, $15-$30 an evening of cosmic performances, other worldly DJ sets, Buy Tix ♫ Good Times House Party @ Kinfolk (94 Wythe Ave), 9pm, FREE, West Indian Pre-Parade Party, RSVPContinue reading →
* A Benefit for “Freedom For Immigrants” @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 8pm, $20, performances by Nat Baldwin (Dirty Projectors) + special guest Buy Tix ♫Bone Thugs-N-Harmony @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 6pm, $35, Buy Tix ♫ Brooklyn Women’s Film Festival 2019 Launch Party @ The Counting Room (44 Berry St), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix # A Sumac Soirée, A Themed Community Potluck, A Summer Journey @ Archestratus Books (160 Huron St, 7pm, FREE, bring a dish with a personal story, share the story behind the dish and eat, RSVP
*Sketch the View @ Domino Park, 630pm, FREE, Equipment provided. All levels welcome. Make something new with new friends, More Info ♫ Spank!//Lena Fjortoft//Euge//Elda @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $10, More Info ☺ PILAS Comedy Show @ Geraldines’ (198 Union Ave) 730pm, FREE, comedy show in a speakeasy behind a Brooklyn Pizza Shop, RSVP ♫ Stupid Beach: @ Magazine Bar (130 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE, LGBTBBQ summer party with DJ Mr Twin Sister, More Info
♦ The Mark of Its Tooth | Opening Reception @ Yashar Gallery (276 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, featuring artists: Kelly Olshan, Andrew Schwartz and Michael McHale, More Info ♦ SummerStarz Free Movies in the Park: “Peter & The Wolf” (Piotrus I Wilk) @ Transmitter Park (2 Greenpoint Ave), 6pm, Polish night with storytelling, music and film screening More Info ♦ Movies Under the Stars: “Adventureland” @ 50 Kent Pop-up (50 Kent Ave), 745pm, FREE, More Info ♦“For Paint’s Sake”| Opening @ Java Studios (252 Java St), 6pm, FREE, featuring abstract paintings by Kristyn Watterworth, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Elgin Marbles and Psychic Lines @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More Info ☺ Limited Resources @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $10 suggested,More Info ♫ Drum Spiral @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 730pm, $15-$20 suggested, learn drum techniques that will help to travel more freely through soundscapes, More Info ♦ Surprise Great Movie – Cinema unter National @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave), 645pm, $12, trust the judgment of the curator, who merely promises it’ll be a movie you may not have heard of but one you’ll not easily forget, Buy Tix
* Stargazing on the Transmitter Pier @ Transmitter Park, 830pm, FREE, a tour of the world beyond the nocturnal skyline. Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the Moon are possible sightings, More Info ♫DJ Eric Umble and DJ Despina @ National Sawdust (80 N 6 St), 5pm, FREE, Happy Hour jam sessions featuring craft cocktails, drink specials and live performances, More Info * Women’s Networking Bottle Share @ Threes (113 Franklin St), 8pm, $15, Poke around in your beer fridge, find that bottle you’ve been stashing for the perfect occasion and join Hop Culture for a night of networking, learning, conversing, and (of course) drinking, Buy Tix ♫♦ Community Art Show + Dance Party @ Magick City (37 Box St), 7pm, FREE, More Info