Can Release @ Greenpoint Beer (7 North 15th St),Saturday (2/22), 5pm, FREE, Releasing 2 killer new IPA’S with Dankonia & Apply Formula. Dankonia showcases pine, resin, sap and citrus with an earthy, dank, coniferous and cannabinous finish. While Apply Formula is soft, hazy and tropical with highlights of juicy fruit stripe gum and raspberry. Hop heads unite, you’ve landed in sticky, fruity, earthy IPA heaven! More info
♥ SPARK: a dating workshop not for the faint of heart @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St)) 6:30pm, $40-55, Get constructive feedback from a group of your peers – your very own singles focus group. Energizeyourvoice.net founder, Minna Taylor, will facilitate a structured analysis to get to the root of what’s holding you back, Buy tix ♫ Sound Art Performance: Bad Jazz @ IDIO Gallery (976 Grand St) 7pm, FREE, Improvised auditory journeys that defy the normal explanations of musical theory. Their music is a stream of consciousness, ebbing and flowing from one texture to the next, More info ♦ Luce Guilbeault, Nicole Brossard, and Margaret Wescott’s Some American Feminists @ Light Industry (155 Freeman St) 7:30pm, $8, Shot in NYC in 1975 and 1976 by an entirely female crew, the film serves as a record of political awakening, both personal and collective, with subjects describing childhood stirrings of radical consciousness, More info ♫ An ACLU Benefit with Sam Cohen, Scully, Dark Tea @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 8pm, $14, A Song A Day presents an ACLU benefit showcase featuring Sam Cohen, Scully, DARK TEA to continue fighting the good fight, Buy tixContinue reading →
Local writers: Greenpoint Writer’s Group is hosting an event this Saturday, August 13 at WORD Brooklyn (126 Franklin St.) and you are cordially invited!
The Greenpoint Writer’s Group was founded in 2010 and has since workshopped the hell out of everything from stage to screen works and aspires to foster and maintain a creative collaborative environment for local writers. If you’d like to learn more about attending a workshop, drop them a line here. Continue reading →
On Saturday, September 20, the Rebel Alliance – and their friends and foes – will converge for a night of fun and debauchery at t.b.d. brooklyn (224 Franklin St). The huge lounge will be kitted out in Star Wars theme, including a full-sized Han Solo carbonite (see video), Salacious Crumb figure, Sith and Jedi light sabers, Mandalorian warrior probe and more. Original Star Wars artwork will be featured on the walls. Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 3/19 ♦ BiblioCraft Book Launch Party @ Brooklyn Craft Company (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7–8:30pm, FREE, Celebrate the launch of BiblioCraft: A Modern Crafter’s Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects by Jessica Pigza, with craft projects and pink sugar cookies, RSVP ☺ The Cause B Show VII: Bushwick Bound @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8–10:30pm, FREE (plus free beer with donation), this monthly comedy series raises money and awareness for Make The Road, a Bushwick organization that serves and engages New York communities facing shared hardships and injustices, RSVP Continue reading →
Not sure if you’ve noticed but cats are everywhere! Big cats, little cats – they are the new spirit animal of this here Brooklyn life. It’s because they are the coolest – even cooler than hipsters. It’s nothing new; Ancient Egyptians sweat the shit out of cats, too.
Maybe we idolize them because we know if they had a choice they wouldn’t participate in our fur ball schemes. Did you see this? 500 Years ago cats were depicted wearing futuristic jetpacks in old drawings. I know my cat would NOT like a jetpack, or a tiara.
Another glorious cat events around town worthy of your attention (even though your cat would definitely be like, “no thanks loser – I’d rather stay home and puke on your computer cables “) – is Brooklyn Craft Company’s “Cat Lady Craft Night” on 4/5.
We chatted with Brett Bara of Bk Craft Co. about why cats are just too cool for school and everything else. Continue reading →
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
♦ People and Places @ Evil and Love Tattoo (211 Franklin St) 7-10pm, Friday 2/7 FREE, Check out this photo exhibit featuring works by Czech skateboard photographer, Hona Zima, a 25-year-old born in a small city near Prague, see his images here, RSVP
* Picture Farm Film Fest @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 2-7pm, FREE, First ever PF Film Fest running Saturday 2/8 through Sunday 2/9, opening & closing receptions, Q&As w/directors and writers, a Sat. afternoon shorts, Sat. night documentaries, & Sunday Brunch. All Screenings FREE! Check the website for the full schedule & film details, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 2/5 • 94th Precinct Community Council Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7-8pm, FREE, ask questions & chat with local police officers & community members ♥ Save Room For Dessert! @ Brooklyn Brewery (8-10pm) $5, Join an expert panel curated by Edible Brooklyn for demos, tips, samples, and a Q&A covering everything you need to know about sweets just in time for V-Day, More Info ♫ Young Yeller (LP Release Party) / Moon Bounce / Kazimier / AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (289 Kent) 8:30pm, $10, RSVP Continue reading →
* Daddy’s Handmade Treasures @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) SATURDAY 11/16, 1-6pm, FREE, Shop for gifts from 13 local and national vendors at this love-filled pop-up shop, while enjoying spiced drinks, tarot readings, and hot dogs from the shiny new stand, highlights include jewelry made from real fruit and candy (yummm) from Glitterlimes BK , laser cut textile kits & designs from Flowerclouds , gorgeous hand-made knits from Liz Collins, silk cashmere and wool scarves from J VanSuch, recycled fingerless gloves from Elisabethan, handsome men’s ties from Sovereign Bech, and DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s all day (plus many, many more), RSVP
WEDNESDAY 11/13 ♦ Digital Arts Lecture Series: R. Luke DuBois “Sex, Lies, and Data Mining” @ Pratt (Myrtle Hall Lecture Rm 4D-3, 4th Fl) 12:45-1:45pm, FREE, DuBois (composer, artist, & performer) will discuss his ongoing project, which culls data from online dating profiles and maps it according to geographic location, RSVP * HOW LITTLE BIG IS Kickstarter Wrap Party @ In God We Trust (70 Greenpoint Ave) 6-9pm, Celebrate the success of this local documentary project on kickstarter with original artwork from the subject of the film as well as Amelia Bauer / Tracy Trimmins / Dan Funderburgh / Debra Mintz, with an open bar from BK Brewery and Thorny Rose Winery, RSVP • GCEF Public Workshop @ Dupont Street Senior Center (80 Dupont St) 6:30-8:30pm, FREE, learn about the GCEF application process for environental improvement projects, while networking with other applicants, don’t forget to sign up in advance,More Info ☺ Heavy Metal Laser Plane @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 9pm, FREE, Stand up from Seaton C SMith / Michelle Wolf / Lucas Connolly / Nate Fridson, RSVPContinue reading →