# Pantry Party: PRESERVING CITRUS, a class @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 6pm, $35, Learn about fermentation. Go home with a new recipe, and a jar of something delicious, Buy Tix ♫ Spring Equinox Supermoon Sound Bath @ Magick City (37 Box St.), 7pm and 9pm, $21-$33, Buy Tix ♦ Vimeo Staff Picks with Live Director’s Commentary #2 @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Avenue), 7pm, $18, Buy Tix ♫ Purim: Night Of A Thousand Faces @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, $30, Buy Tix
# Between Two Whales: Chinese/Japanese Influence on Korean Cuisine @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $35, Buy Tix ♦ A Collection of Shorts: The Illusionist’s Reality @ Transmitter (1325 Willoughby Ave.) 7pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Godcaster/ Starla/ Great Crane/ Buka/ In Spirit @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $10, More Info ♫ Gui Boratto (live), Gilles Wasserman, L&L&L Record Club @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 10pm, $20, Buy TixContinue reading →
♦ Outside the Lines: A Monthly Artmaking Program for Adults @ Bushwick Library (340 Bushwich Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, looking to create and connect with other artists in a relaxed setting? Brooklyn Public Library’s Bushwick branch is proud to bring you a brand new, therapeutic, and fun artmaking program just for adults. More Info ^ WORD Presents Hampton Fancher and Mary-Beth Hughes @ Word (126 Franklin St.), 7:30pm, $5, a guide to the craft of screenwriting and an evening with the screenwriter of Blade Runner, Buy Tix ♫ Ilegal Wednesdays: Night Powers, TaDA!, China Wyte @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Avenue), 7:30pm, $10, More Info ♫ Paul Arámbula, Kindnεss, Basil Leaf, Mitchell Keaney @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $7, More Info
# Timballo Dinner @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 6:30pm, $30, Buy Tix ♫ Alex Zhang Hungtai (fka Dirty Beaches) @ San Damiano Mission (85 N. 15th St.) 8pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ Frank/ieConsent Album Release w/Holy People,Cal Fish,Boiled Wool @ Rubulad (Secret Location), 8pm, $8-10, More Info ♫ Tropical Past & Future Residency @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10pm, $10, More InfoContinue reading →
* Parks & Waterfront Committee Mtg — Community Board 1, Brooklyn @ CB1 District Office (435 Graham Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, More Info ♦ An Evening with Craig Baldwin @ Light Industry (155 Freeman St.), 7pm, $8 suggested, found-footage filmmaking, More Info ♦ An Evening with Morbid Anatomy: Carnival of Souls @ Nitehawk (136 Metropolitan Ave.), 7pm, $18, Buy Tix ^ WORD + the William Vale Present Amber Tamblyn and Uzo Aduba @ The William Vale (111 N 12th St.), 7:30pm, $29, includes signed copy of Era of Ignition, Buy Tix
* 25th Anniversary Screening: The Break with Q&A @ Stewart Cinema (79 West St.), 8pm, $5 suggested, Greenpointers and present a 25th Anniversary Screening of The Break! We’ll be joined by Ben Jorgensen aka ‘Monk,’ who will be taking questions regarding his upcoming book, he may even read a chapter; More Info ♫ Aurora @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.) 7pm, $25, Buy Tix # Puerto Rican Dinner with Chef Ana Ortiz @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $65, Buy Tix ♫ Jorge Ben vs Willie Colón @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10pm, FREE, dress to sweat, Buy TixContinue reading →
♫ What Would Tilda Swinton Do, Sean Spada, BackUp @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 6pm, $5, More Info ♫ Stone Series: Peter Evans @ National Sawdust (80 N. 6th St.), 7pm, $25, Buy Tix * Scent + Sound Bath With Sara Auster & Alex Falk @ The William Vale (111 N. 12th St.), 7pm, $40, Buy Tix ♫ Starla/ Agua Viva/ Sammy Weissberg + Hillai Govreen /SylbieShade @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $10, More Info
# Learn Fondue BK @ Le Fond (105 Norman Ave.), 6:30pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Cat Empire @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.) 7pm, $29.50, Buy Tix # Eggplant Parm Dinner @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 6:30pm, $30, Buy Tix ♫ Project Pablo x Beto Cravioto ~all night long @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10pm, $10, Buy TixContinue reading →
* TRIVIA Night! Teach Me Sweetheart @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, Hey Friends and (Trivia) Lovers! Join me for Valentine’s Day Trivia at Archestratus. Swing by Solo or with a team of up to 4, RSVP ♫ V-Day Glitterthon w/ Darkwing, Daddies, Low Anxiety Nevva @ Gutter Bar (200 N. 14th St.), 8pm, $7, More Info ♫ The Jones Family Retro Show Presents: Valentines Day 1976 @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Tropical Past & Future x Noche Romantica @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10pm, FREE, More Info
^ Brooklyn Poets Reading Series @ 100 Bogart (100 Bogart St.), 7:30pm, FREE, poetry, wine and light refreshments, More Info ♫ H8BB V-Day Blood Harvest // Haybb&BSteel&STD&MeanSiders&Tetchy @ Rubulad (Secret Location) 8pm, $10, Buy Tix ♫ Live at Muchmore’s! w/ Eric Benoit and Friends @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 8pm, FREE, Buy Tix ♫ The Rigors of Love // Tablopan @ Scholes St. Studio (375 Lorimer St.), 8pm, $15, More InfoContinue reading →
Prepare to fall in love!The Greenpointers Vintage Rose Valentine’s Market is happening THIS Sunday, February 10 from 1-7pm at The Greenpoint Loft (67 West Street), and there’s going to be plenty of fun things to do including getting TWO FREE drinks courtesy of Cinch! Be transported to a simpler time (before swiping right) with 60+ vendors, live music, locally made refreshments, and FREE activities for (literally) everyone including henna tattoos, nail art, poetry, flower crown making, dream catcher workshops, 3D avatar creation, and more~ Whether you need a gift to sweep that special someone off their feet or just want to get your DIY on, mark this on your calendar and don’t miss it! Free to enter! RSVP HERE!
# Zaitoun: A Conversation with Yasmin Khan and Kerry Diamond @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $35, Olives, peace and Palestinian cooking. Book signing and small bites to follow, Buy Tix ♫ Limited Resources 26 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 9pm, $10 donation, Monthly experimental series, More Info ☺ “Hey” Comedy Show @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ DatKat ◡ Lostcat ◡ Lilei ◡ xxx1990 @ Jupiter Disco (1237 Flushing Ave.), 10pm, FREE, More Info
♦ Line & Label x Moon Void Tarot Card Readings! @ Line and Label (568 Manhattan Ave.), 4pm, FREE, More Info ♦ RISO PRINTING WORKSHOP @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 6:30pm, $85, make custom prints using A/D/O’s in-house Risograph printer. Buy Tix # Dinner with Sohui Kim of Korean Home Cooking @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $50, Brooklyn restaurateur Sohui Kim of The Good Fork and Insa is cooking up a large Korean famliy style meal from her new cookbook KOREAN HOME COOKING: Classic and Modern Recipes, Buy Tix ♦ Triskelion Arts Presents: Mei Yamanaka @ Triskelion (106 Calyer St.), 8pm, $18, an evening of dance, Buy TixContinue reading →
♦ Katya Grokhovsky: Bad Acts @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE w/ RSVP, video, live performance and Q+A part of the Wythe Hotel Artist Residency Series, more info * VOCÊ episode 4: real talk, realpolitik @ Bar Uni (674 Manhattan Ave.), 7pm, FREE, poetry, music, meditation, comedy and politics, More Info ♫ Bot Garden, The Big Net, Hard Pass, **Secret Set** at SPR @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 7:30pm, $8, rock, Indie and punk, More Info * Late Nights On Air / mayday heyday parfait / Landing Sites @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave), 7:30pm, $10-12, Buy Tix
* Intro to Dream Interpretation @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.), 7pm, $15, Buy Tix ^♫ Houston Rap Tapes: Lance Scott Walker and Jacques Morel @ McNally Jackson Williamsburg (76 North 4 St.) 7pm, FREE, an oral history of Bayou City Hip Hop, More Info ♦ The Image You Missed @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave.), 7:30pm, $10, Personal history interspersed with the history of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, Buy Tix ♦ Opening Reception: Self-Indulgence VS Subtexture @ Sage Brooklyn (299-301 Graham Ave.), 8pm, FREE, More InfoContinue reading →
# New Year Cacao Ceremony @ Anima Mundi Apothecary (31 Noble St.), 7pm, $45, come together in circle to reflect on the year and create clarity and space for what is to come in 2019, buy tix * TRIVIA Night! Deck the hall, Drop the ball! @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, SANTA! SNOW! JINGLE BELLS! RESOLUTIONS! PRESENTS! CHAMPAGNE! TINSEL! Alright! Please join me for holiday trivia!!! Expect categories to be various, beer innumerable, arancine aplenty. There will be three rounds + a lightning round, but only one epic trophy. Win Beer! Win Rice Balls! Win Cookies! Study up Renaissance man style!!!!!!!! RSVP ♫ Bradley Zero, Toribio, Darker Than Wax @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 10pm, FREE before midnight w/ RSVP, $10-$20 without, RSVP ♫ Dirty Thursday: Ugly Sweater Party @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
♦ Meet the Confetti King! @ City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave.), 7pm, FREE w/ admission, The biggest confetti event in the country is New Year’s Eve in Times Square. Did you know that all the confetti is tossed by hand? The man who makes it all happen is Treb Heining. He’ll be in New York to run the confetti operation at Times Square for the 27th consecutive year, and will make an appearance at the City Reliquary to talk about his work! Learn what it takes to be the Confetti King! More Info ♫ Autograf @ Schminanski (54 N. 11th) 9pm, $12-25, Buy Tix ♫ Loveless Records and Friends Holiday Spiral @ Kinfolk 90 (90 Wythe Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Nevermind – ’90s Alternative (& Pop) Nite @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 11pm, FREE w/ RSVP, RSVPContinue reading →
Hey Greenpointers! Are you ready to deck the halls…with History?
Holiday History runs deep in this town, since Santa is a Native New Yorker. It’s true! Saint Nick is the Patron Saint of New York City, and New York’s writers and artists were the first to describe and depict Santa as we know him. He even got his sleigh in Chelsea! Add to this the fact that New York retailers invented holiday window displays, the original yule log footage was filmed here, and we’ve even got the original manuscript of “A Christmas Carol,” and it’s clear New York is a veritable holiday hot spot.
If you’d like to hear more about New York’s holiday history, please join me around town this month for my Hometown Holiday History event series!
New York’s Holiday History from George Washington to Andy Warhol @ QED Astoria (27-16 23rd Avenue), 3pm, $10, Buy Tix
Santa’s from West 23rd Street and other Secret Histories of New York Holidays @ Caveat (21A Clinton St.), 7pm, $15, I’m so thrilled to be joined by two incredible storytellers who will add to the historic holiday fun with tales of the ancient roots of the Winter Solstice, and the origins of Santa’s reindeer! Buy Tix
Thursday 12/ 27
TRIVIA Night: Deck the hall, drop the ball! @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, you know the drill for this one, Greenpoint! This month’s Trivia will be Holiday/New Year’s themed. Feel free to swing by solo, or with a team of up to four, to strut your stuff, win wonderful food and drink, and claim the title of Greenpoint Trivia Champ! RSVP
♫ CELEBRATE YOUR CITY: HOLIDAY PARTY + COHORT 05 LAUNCH @ Urban X (29 Norman Ave.), 6pm, FREE, drinks, hors d’oeuvre’s, dancing and surprises! RSVP ♦ Girls on Film + Mavi Phillips present: Dangerous Flowers @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave), 7pm, $19.50, An evening of self-empowered sexuality through short films, art, panel discussion + speakers, Buy Tix # Unearthed: Dinner and Performance @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7:30pm, $75, Price includes a 5-course dinner, cocktails, wine, and after dinner drinks, Buy Tix ♫ Hot Mess: Hanukkah + Drag Competition @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, $10-20, Buy Tix
* Rebels for a Reason Launch Party @ Diviera Drive (131 Berry St.), 7:30pm, FREE, local clothing, jewelry and art, More Info ♫ The Lot Radio presents: Daniel Aged // Debit // Tak @ San Damiano Mission (85 North 15th St.) 8pm, $15, Buy Tix ♫ Marissa Nadler w/ Johanna Warren @ Rough Trade (64 N. 9th St.) , 9pm, $15, Buy Tix ♫ Rompe Cabeza with Uproot Andy All Night @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl), 10pm, FREE, More InfoContinue reading →