* NAG’s Community Mapping Series: Air Pollution @ MS 50 Auditorium (183 South 3rd St) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn about local air-pollution-reduction campaigns in the neighborhood (BQE decking, trucking, garbage equity), More info
♫ Education Through Music Benefit @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 7pm, $65, With Jennah Bell / The Dust Rays / J. Period, More info
* Color Series: Blue But Not Dead @ Wendy’s Subway (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, The second installment of the “Color in Film” series, featuring Malá Mořská Víla, the Czech Little Mermaid, and Marguerite Duras’ short film “Les Mains Négatives,” RSVP Continue reading
Death By Art, Comic Arts Brooklyn, Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival, – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (11/05–11/11)
* Free Training Tips for Rescued Dogs @ Empire of the Dog (415 Grand St) 7:30pm, FREE, Discuss the typical issues that may arise in newly adopted dogs and how to navigate the first several months with your new pet, More info
♫ Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival Pre-Party @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $15, With Move D / Reagenz / Forma / Bryan Kasenic, Buy tix Continue reading
Haunted Canoe Rides, Death By Halloween, Cartoon Carnival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/29–11/04)
“Personal Truths” Opening Reception @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) THURSDAY 10/30, 6-10pm, Is there such a thing as an objective shot? Or is all photography fiction – a carefully framed version of the Truth? Personal Truths : Photo Stories That Help Us Find Ourselves, previously shown at 71A Gallery, in London, features the photographers Jonathan Mehring, Krisanne Johnson, Matt Eich, Guy Martin, Harold Feinstein, Shannon Jensen, Jason Andrew, Andrew McConnell
Halloween Bash NEW VENUE! @ A.K.A. Bar (759 Grand St) Friday, October 31st , 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music). Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm. Get your tickets now!
* Bon Voyage Party @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, An evening to honor Colette Lumiére and experience a mise-en-sceéne inspired by her incomparable installations, More info
* Obscura Society Presents New York City Bodysnatchers @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd) 8pm, $20, Author Bess Lovejoy discusses the city’s early medical industry, cadavers, and a controversial past, Buy tix
♫ Ho_sacalypse @ The Ho_se (28 Lawton St) 8pm, FREE, With O’ Great North / Kneeling Bus / BRAT PIT / Florida / lots more, RSVP
Sugar Sweets Festival, Howl-O-Ween, Ken’s Satanic Circus – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/22–10/28)
Sky Bar & Grill, 804 Grand St
October 31 & November 1, 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix
For two nights, you’re allowed to party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music).
Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm.
What are you waiting for? Get your tickets now and come join us in the night!
* Weird Tales & Scary Stories @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Christopher Buehlman / Tobias Carroll / Michael Cisco / Katherine Howe, RSVP
♦ Lone Stars @ 7 Dunham (7 Dunham Pl) 7pm, FREE, An exhibition highlighting four unique perspectives from young artists born and raised in Texas who have recently relocated to New York, plus free beer & wine all night, RSVP
♫ Rhythms of Africa @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, #G1) 7:30pm, FREE, Explore the rhythms of Africa through traditional music and dance, RSVP Continue reading
Kings County Fall Carnival, Tinnitus Music Series, Treehouse of Horror – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/15–10/21)
* Elysian Urban Pumpkin Bar Crawl @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 4pm, FREE, Start your crawl at Brouwerij Lane and move on to the Diamond, Spuyten Duyvil, and Barcade, tasting different Elysian Pumpkin beers at each bar, More info
☺ Cause B Show to Benefit Books Through Bars @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8:30pm, $donation, With Will Miles / Robyn Schall / Gabe Morales / Tom Cowell / Adam Palmeter / Corinne Fisher, More info
Open House NY, Rothtoberfest, Beatboxing Championships – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/08–10/14)
* Urban Existentialists @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, With Justin Taylor / Brian Morton / David Ryan, RSVP
* Debut @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave) 7:45pm, $35, Merging independent music, contemporary dance theater, and large-scale art installation, Debut tells the story of a group of teenagers who break into an abandoned building on the night of their senior prom, Buy tix
Greenpoint Open Studios, Funky Warsaw, Oyster Festival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/01–10/07)
Michael Hambouz’ “Factory Made” Artist’s Reception @ Lobby Gallery (1133 Ave of the Americas)
10/02, 6pm, FREE
Presented by the Durst Organization and chashama. For his “Factory Made” series, Greenpoint artist Michael Hambouz hand-cuts paper stock from his hometown’s French Paper Company to create vibrant, abstracted scenes of the very factory where the paper is produced. The exhibition includes 18 new large-scale works, providing a glimpse into the operations of the 140-year-old paper mill by showcasing the production process and machinery. The resulting works celebrate small manufacturing, a geographical sense of home, and the simple, elegant beauty of cut paper collage. More info
Oktoberfest @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave)
10/04 and 10/05, 12pm to 11pm
Celebrate Oktoberfest with two days of beer drinking and German food specials! Beers include Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss, and Reissdorf Kolsch. Plus bratwurst and Bavarian pretzels all weekend long! More info
Horror Movies in the Garden @ Milk & Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave)
10/07, 8pm, FREE
Watch Night of the Living Dead while sipping on some spiked hot cider. Bring a blanket & a cuddle buddy. More info.
* Craft Supply Swap @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, Clean out your craft stash and take home some new goodies, More info
* PUJA for Peace on Earth @ The Ark (107 Green St) 7pm, $20, In this ancient ritual we will use sanskrit mantra, meditation, breath, and song for the purpose of activating peace within our own beings to be shared with all beings on planet earth and beyond, More info
♫ MeanRed’s Flex @ Villain (50 North 3rd St) 8pm, $10, With Lil Silva / Waldo / Tim Vocals / Neuport / Jason Scott, Buy tix
* Financial Planning Workshop for Parents @ Caribou Baby (272 Driggs Ave) 6:30pm, FREE, For new and upcoming parents to learn how they can provide a secure financial future for their families, More info
☺How Do I Get There? @ The Creek & the Cave (10-93 Jackson Ave) 8pm, FREE, With Ashley Bez / Shakir Standley / Erin Gloria Ryan / Eric Grundhauser, RSVP
☺Jeff & Buttons @ The Brick Theater (579 Metropolitan Ave) 8:30pm, $15, This two-man comedy duo is like Laurel and Hardy on a bender with the Marx Brothers, drunk dialing Beckett, Buy tix Continue reading
Stop by Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) tonight for the opening of Self-Distributed: a new photo series by Matt Coats, local photographer and beer consumer, who spent his summer vacation tracking down and photographing craft brewers in NYC that self distribute their wares. For many small breweries, self distribution is a critical business move. While extremely physical and time consuming, small breweries can gain an extra 25-30% income that they would otherwise be yielding to distributors. On top of the percentage cut, self-distribution methods harken back to an old-timey era of business, when manufacturers and retailers connected on a more neighborly level.
Check out the opening tonight, Sept. 18, 7 pm-close, at Brouwerij Lane, and try some of the beers made by the makers in Matt’s work! The show will be up all month long. Some of the breweries on tap tonight include: Singlecut Beersmiths, Gun Hill Brewing Company, Finback Brewery, Transmitter Brewing, Dirck the Norseman(aka Greenpoint Beer & Ale Co.), Rockaway Brewing Co., and Other Half Brewing Company.
Greenpoint Film Festival, Rock the Pulaski, Animamus Art Salon – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (9/17–9/23)
* War Correspondents @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30pm, $25, New Yorker staff writer Philip Gourevitch will be interviewed by Brooklyn Brewery founder and former AP Middle East correspondent Steve Hindy, More info
* Wunderkind Trivia Night @ Verboten (54 North 11th St) 8pm, FREE, A heated, team-based battle of wits that will test both your brain and your liver with challenging questions and cool prizes, More info