(sponsored) Youngman Grand @ The Grand Victory (245 Grand St) 7pm, $10
The five members of Youngman Grand all live and work in Greenpoint (Variety Cafe, Cafe Grumpy, Achilles Heel, and Budin). They will be bringing their colossal rock sound to a headlining show at The Grand Victory featuring a line-up of great local bands: Forts, Dead Letters, and Sand Mansions. Buy tickets here.
WEDNESDAY 8/20 * Crochet Metal Jewelry @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6:30pm, $55, Make mixed-media statement pieces that combine chunky metal with simple crochet trimming, More info
* Outdoor Gallery @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Learn about the vibrant outdoor art culture of NYC with an interactive presentation from author and photographer Yoav Litvin and artist Jilly Ballistic, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 8/13 # BBQ Blowout @ Good Co. (10 Hope St) 7:30pm, $10, New York Sushi Ko doing some Japanese-inspired wizardy on the grill; YOUSS and his CPH crew will work the decks, Buy tix
* Style Wars Championship @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Rising designers face off in head-to-head fast-fashion battles, with 5 minutes to rock a look from whatever gets thrown at them, More info
WEDNESDAY 8/06 * SummerScreen Presents The Big Lebowski@ McCarren Park (Bedford Ave & North 12th St) 6pm, FREE, With live music before the film presented by Showpaper, More info
* Rooftop Films Presents Forest of the Dancing Spirits @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 8pm, FREE, Filmmaker Linda Västrik provides a glimpse at a culture so ancient that its denizens still inhabit the mythic world, More info
* Arrested Development Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 8:30, FREE, Come as a “never-nude” and get a free drink and a frozen banana, More info
WEDNESDAY 7/30 ♫ Rhythms of Africa @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, #G1) 7:30, $15, Roots trance / dance music with the Peace Department, featuring Kevin Nathaniel, Evan Worldwind, and special guests, RSVP * Entranced: Comedy Hypnosis Show @ Standard Toykraft (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $15, Watch volunteers from the audience act out hilarious situations based on Max Kovins hypnotic suggestions, More info
♫ Nicholas Nicholas @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, $7, With Will Stratton / Kieran Blake / M A R T H A, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 7/23 * SummerScreen @ McCarren Park (North 12th & Bedford Ave) 6pm, FREE, John Waters’ cult classic Cry-Baby, with music before the film from Man Forever and White Suns, More info * International Film Fest @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Screening of Umberto D., a neorealist masterpiece from De Sica, More info
* Poker Philanthropy @ TBD Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30, FREE, Twenty-seat Texas Hold ‘Em tournament to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project, More info
WEDNESDAY 7/16 * Family Day @ The Cliffs LIC (11-11 44th Dr) 10am, FREE day of climbing at one of the largest gyms in the country if you bring children age 6 to 16, More info * The Deadly Ponies Gang @ Socrates Sculpture Park (21-01 Vernon Blvd) 8pm, FREE, Rooftop Films presents this docu-comedy’s international premier, More info Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 7/09 * SummerScreen: Back to the Future@ McCarren Park (North 12th & Lorimer St) 6pm, FREE, With pre-movie music by Tonstartssbandht and The Dreebs presented by Showpaper, RSVP ♫ Mark Kraus @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 10pm, FREE, In his first show in three years, Mark will play songs from his upcoming record “The Depths,” RSVP
Some of you have already resolved to spend the weekend by the barbeque. But for those of you commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in an art gallery, we have your weekend exhibitions right here. This Friday, July 4, the Brooklyn Night Bazaar is showcasing art from multiple north Brooklyn artists (8pm-1am). This Saturday, July 5, Odetta Gallery has an opening called “Eden,” featuring five NY/Hudson Valley artists (6pm). Also, this Saturday, July 5, the Bishop Gallery is having a closing reception for “Girl on Fire” (6pm). And then, of course, this is the last weekend to see Kara Walker’s work at the Domino Sugar Refinery (Sat & Sun 11-7pm). Go! Go! Go!
WEDNESDAY 7/02 ♥ The Great Reissdorf Kölsch-Off @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, Watch bartenders compete to see who can pour the fastest Kranz and enjoy all the complimentary Kölsch, More info * Stargazing with the Tipi Project @ Havemeyer Park (South 4th btw Kent & Wythe) 8pm, FREE, See the stars from the park with members of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York, More info
* House of Screwball’s Circus of Dreams @ Bizarre Bushwick (12 Jefferson St) 9pm, $5–$15, Acrobats, magicians, burlesque, and more, RSVP Continue reading →
(sponsored) • Le Ferre Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tasting @ The Tasting Room (108 Dobbin St) FRIDAY, 6/27, 12-6pm, Come taste Italian at Greenpoint’s newest specialty food shop that is proud to welcome Luca & Giuseppe Esposito, owners of Le Ferre Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for a special in-store olive oil tasting and demonstration.