* ¡Pa’lante Puerto Rico! Happy hour benefit @ Mcondo Los Tacos (502 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, All proceeds raised at the bar will go to benefit front-line efforts in Puerto Rico! Every $1 raised will be multiplied and matched by $8!, More info ^ Matthew Weiner presents “Heather, the Totality” @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 6:30pm, $32, From the creator of Mad Men, “Heather, the Totality” examines power, privilege, and family and will provide fascinating fodder for the discussion between Weiner and Bailey Prize-winning novelist A.M. Homes, Buy tix * Sacred Tantric Sound Healing @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 8pm, $40, Enjoy sacred sound mantras to clear and open chakras, be present in the moment through journey via senses and connect our hearts and spirits, RSVP ♫ Canticum Interruptus? @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $8, Canticum Interr_ptus? new breeds in music and media performance, More info
# Timballo Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $18-ish, An evening of Sicilian-style timballo, (a highly theatrical savory multi-layered pie). Beer, wine & Uncouth Vermouth for sale, RSVP ♦ CPR Presents: Fall Movement Festival 2017 @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave), 7:30pm, $10, The Fall Movement series includes works-in-progress, finished pieces, and premieres of creative and unique collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, and visual artists, Buy tix ♫ The Bloody Beetroots, Rituals of Mine, Hiyawatha @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $25, Buy tix ♫ Ekstatik: A New Jack Witch Ritual Dance Party @ Tilt BK (248 McKibbin St), 10pm, FREE, Featuring dark electronic, freestyle, 90s rave, and more. Dancing is witchcraft, More info Continue reading →
We are sad to learn of Manny Franquinha’s passing via the Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) Facebook Page. Crest has been open since 1962, and as a mom and pop harware store, they’ve been able to truly bring the community together over the years. Crest has an annual art show, and is also known for Franklin the potbelly pig, who often makes an appearance in their back garden. Crest is more than a neighborhood hardware store, and whenever you go in there to buy anything at all you feel personally attended to—something that was important to Manny when he founded the shop many years ago. Funeral service details from Crest’s Facebook page: Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/19 ☺ Stir Crazy Wednesdays @ Slick Willie (179 Meserole Ave) 8pm, FREE, A weekly comedy show hosted by Aldo Marachilian, More info * Final Presidential Debate @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 9pm, FREE, With free popcorn both to eat and to throw at the screen, More info
* Damn Good @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St) 8pm, $16, A performance art series that brings together artists whose work resists categorization and invites experimentation, Buy tix
* Pat October @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 10pm, FREE, With Ani Klang / Adam Radakovich / Volvox / JD Samson / OLIVE T / Amber Valentine, RSVP * Dragnet Halloween @ The Metropolitan (559 Lorimer St) 11pm, FREE, With Maddelynn Hatter / Crystal Mesh / Zenobia / Merrie Cherry / Francesca, More info
WEDNESDAY 10/15 * Elysian Urban Pumpkin Bar Crawl @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 4pm, FREE, Start your crawl at Brouwerij Lane and move on to the Diamond, Spuyten Duyvil, and Barcade, tasting different Elysian Pumpkin beers at each bar, More info ☺ Cause B Show to Benefit Books Through Bars @ Cobra Club (6 Wyckoff Ave) 8:30pm, $donation, With Will Miles / Robyn Schall / Gabe Morales / Tom Cowell / Adam Palmeter / Corinne Fisher, More info
Who likes Short Shorts? Crest likes Short Shorts! Crest Hardware is proud to announce the Quickie Crest Film Fest, a celebration of local film talent with a fast-paced twist.
They want to see what local movie makers have to offer in the playful, “short short film” format. Participants submit on the theme of “community” – be it personal community, local community, or universal community for the truly ambitious. Any genre will be accepted as long as it can reasonably be tied to the theme.
It’s that time of year again. One of the most fun art festivals in North Brooklyn is accepting artwork from now until May 5, 2013. All mediums are accepting as long as they pertain to hardware. Crest Art Show will take place on Saturday June 8, 2013.
It’s that time of year again! Crest Hardware (536 Metropolitan Ave) is hosting the 3rd Annual Pumplin Carving Contest on Saturday October 20, 2012 from 7-11pm. What better way to kick start your Halloween!
Admission to attend the event is FREE. There is only a charge to enter the contest (see rules below)
This is an ALL ages event! Attending in your Halloween Costume is encouraged (and more fun!) but is not required.
– $5 to register with up to 4 pumpkins.
-All pumpkins must be carved and completed upon arrival.
-Registration to enter the Crest Arts 2012 Pumpkin Carving Contest will take place at Crest Hardware from 7:00pm to 8:00pm, on October 20th.
-Voting will take place from 8:15pm to 9:00pm on October 20th, 2012.
A free, self guided tour of private gardens in Willamsburg. On Saturday afternoon, September 15th, from 2-5pm, 7 households will open their doors and invite you to see the green spaces they’ve created and lovingly tend. All the gardens are within walking and biking distance of Crest Hardware and Urban Garden Center. More info.
• Collaborative Means@ Flux Factory (39-31 29th St, LIC) 7pm, FREE, A series of artists working collaboratively and collectively, relying on cooperative strategies for the realization of ambitious projects. Talks, screenings, and live performances. More info
• Smiths Karaoke@ Black Rabbit (91 Greenpoint) 8pm, 2 mics & some Cure songs available, too.
• Public Hearing: Open Space Alliance@ Swinging Sixties Senior Center (211 Ainslie) 6:30-8pm, discuss relocation East River State Park Concerts
• Pretty Things Babayaga Launch Party @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint) 7-10pm, Jim Garnes spins you favorite soviet hits
• The L Mag & Northside Festival’s A Very Unofficial CMJ Party @ Cameo Gallery (93 N 6th St) 1:30pm-4:30pm, FREE, performances by Hunters, PUJOL, Widowspeak, Forest Fire & Heavenly Eat
• Supper Club @ Greenpoint Reformed Church (106 Milton) 6:30pm, $20, 4 Course Vegetarian Meal with Cocktails, plus performance by Holler, Benefits Soup Kitchen, RVSP annefay (at) gmail.com. More info
• Open Call Show @ Greenpoint Gallery (390 McGuinness) 8pm, Open Call for Artists in all Mediums, win $200 & solo exhibition, More info
• Ugly Art Room Presents All That Remains @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe) Opening Reception 7-9pm, An International Collage Exhibition of Epic Proportions, Sponsored by Narragansett beer, Music by DJ Ning Nong RSVP
• BK Diggers 150th Anniversary Celebration @ McGolrick Park, 1-4pm, a collective of activists, artists and historians whose aim is to reclaim the psycho geography of our neighborhoods and expose ignored perspectives in history
• Vibes to Touch Open Mic & Art Show @ TBD (224 Franklin) 9pm, FREE, Performance by Aisling Peartree, Artwork by Rico Tomas, Poetry By: Fiya, Ada Reyes, Bert Tejeda, D.Limones, Jendog LoneWolf RSVP
• 48 HRS @ Camel Art Space (722 Metropolitan) 12pm-12am, artists meet for a marathon art-making session, sleep over in the space and exhibit their work the next day. The entire event will take place over a 48-Hrs, RSVP
• Newtown Creek Boat Tours @ Pier 17 South Street Seaport, 10-12/1-3, $10. Charter tours the length of the Newtown Creek. Buy Tickets
• Brokelyn.com’s Brokedown Throwdown @ Public Assembly (70 N6) 3-7pm, $5, Sixpoint Open Bar 3-4pm, “Yo Momma So Broke” Contest, Costume Contest, Mushroom Ride
• Carve for Farms Benefit @ Warsaw (261 Driggs) 4-8pm, $10 Kids/$12 Adults, a Greenpoint-Williamsburg CSA pumkin carving and food fest benefit for farms devastated by Hurricane Irene. Pumpkin Pierogis!
• The Mac Off @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand) 5-8pm, $10 to judge & eat, Free to compete: email info (at) theclaque.org, proceeds benefit The ClaqueRSVP
• County Fair Opening Party @ Orange Marmalade (421 Graham) 6-9pm, Vintage Men’s & Women’s, Kitchenware, Oddities, Whisky! More info
• Momofuku Milk Bar Book Event with Christina Tosi @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost) Christina will show you some of her sweet and savory recipes and you can get a signed copy of the book at a discount, RSVP
• EPA Newtown Creek Superfund Public Meetings @ St. Nick’s Alliance (2 Kingsland, Garden Level) 20m, 4pm, 7pm, 9pm, An informal public info session hosted by the EPA to discuss upcoming field work at the Newtown Creek Superfund site as part of the first phase of the remedial investigation. EPA representatives will be available to answer questions.