McGolrick Park is a hidden gem on the other side of McGuinness Blvd (#OSOM) but many local residents feel the park needs some major love, like updates to the playground and repair to the pathways. It doesn’t help that neighborhood punks have no respect, either; last year they set fire to benches and vandalized the statue.
On Tuesday night (8/27), the Greenpoint Safety Meeting was held at the Polish Slavic Center. The speakers were Assemblyman, Joe Lentol, Captain James Ryan of the 94th Precinct, Executive Assistant District Attorney, Nancy Laxer, Executive in charge of Sex Crimes, Louise Cohen, Chief Assistant DA, Amy Feinstein, and local Council Member, Stephen Levin.
The meeting was organized by local resident, Jamie “James” Hodge, to bring the community together, concerning the rise of crime in Greenpoint. Hodge called the meeting when she learned that her friend had been assaulted in her doorway and had to defend herself against the intruder before the police came to her aid.
It’s alarming and disheartening to receive daily emails, tweets and facebook messages from Greenpoint residents who are scared because of the recent violent events that have taken place in the area, including a rape, a missing woman and yesterday’s pistol whipping in broad daylight.
AVP’s “trainings and workshops provide participants with information on the impact of hate motivated violence, safety planning strategies, tips on preventing or reducing the impact of violence, information on how to create LGBTQH [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV+] inclusive organizations, and how to support the needs of LGBTQ survivors of violence.”
For more information visit www.avp.org and feel free to email cb at greenpointchurch.org with any questions about the event.
They can’t promise dolphins, but the North Brooklyn Boat Club is launching into 2013 and urging YOU! “land-lubbers,” to learn what will be happening both, on the water, and ashore, like: open paddles, intensive stroke instruction, safe boating practices, bird watching trips, building oyster and filter feeder habitats, organic gardening, urban camping, boat building and boatyard barbecues!
They had me at birds and barbecues…
Interested? Join NBBC on April 2nd, 8-10pm at Brooklyn Rod & Gun (59 Kent Ave) for a public meeting open to all.
“…the single most important piece of unfinished business that lies ahead of us in 2013: rebuilding the communities hit hardest by Hurricane Sandy – and creating a more resilient and sustainable city.” – Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s State of the City Address, February 14, 2013
The Special Initiative for Rebuilding and Resiliency (SIRR) addresses how we rebuild New York City to be more resilient in the wake of Hurricane Sandy but with a long-term focus.
We invite you to join us for a facilitated conversation about how to rebuild Williamsburg, Greenpoint, DUMBO, Long Island City and surrounding communities. We are looking for participants who are invested in this neighborhood now and for the next generation.
SIRR Williamsburg/Greenpoint/DUMBO/LIC Public Workshop
March 14, 2013
P.S. 132 (320 Manhattan Ave)
We begin with a brief introduction of SIRR and will have break-out sessions to discuss priorities for rebuilding Northern Brooklyn and Long Island City to be more resilient in the face of future storms and long-term climate change.
RSVP by email: RSVPWaterFrontMarch14 (at) nycsirr.org.
Include the full name and email (if available) of each guest.
RSVP by phone: (212) 618-5745 – Leave the name of each guest and say “for March 14 Waterfront”.
FRIDAY 11/30 ♥ Sandy Benefit Photo Pin-up Show @ Meble Studios (340 Morgan Ave, #7) 6:30-9pm, affordable art, drinks and snacks, 100% of all print sales will be donated to Occupy Sandy, More info ♫ Brooklyn Night Bazaar @ 45 N. 5th St, 6pm-midnight, Free, 200 of the borough’s most creative independent vendors, musicians, chefs, artists, breweries and wineries, More info ♫ Walter Schreifels @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm ♫Hilly Eye / Waxahatchee / Corita @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $8
SATURDAY 12/1 • Handmade Holiday Cavalcade @ The Space (50 No. 3rd St) 11am-11pm, Etsy NY Team shares its hand-crafted artistry with perfect gifts: handmade clothing, jewelry, accessories, paper goods, bath and body treasures, toys, and housewares. * Greenpoint Handskills Presents: Garlands @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman Ave) 12-2pm, get in the handmade holiday spirit with us over doughnuts and coffee, learn how to make garlands, bunting, pom poms, and paper chains from yarn, felt, and paper, RSVP ♦ Holiday Art & Editions Sale @ Fourth Estate (272 Morgan Ave #F) 12-9pm, first annual holiday sale of prints by a small artist-run art print publishing company in Bushwick, buy artist books, ceramic multiples, band merchandise, albums, jewelry among other things such as popcorn… *Rolling Jubilee Open House @ Judson Memorial Church (55 Washington Square South, NYC) 6pm, Learn how this amazing project has bought and erased over $8.6 million in debt ♦ Lena Henke @ Real Fine Arts (673 Meeker Ave) Opening Reception 7-10pm ♫ Brooklyn Night Bazaar @ 45 N. 5th St, 6pm-midnight, Free, 200 of the borough’s most creative independent vendors, musicians, chefs, artists, breweries and wineries, More info ♫ Hard Nips / Animal Tropical / The Roulettes @ Backroom at The Gutter (200 No. 14th St) 9pm, $5
SUNDAY 12/2 • Handmade Holiday Cavalcade @ The Space (50 No. 3rd St) 11am-11pm, Etsy NY Team shares its hand-crafted artistry with perfect gifts: handmade clothing, jewelry, accessories, paper goods, bath and body treasures, toys, and housewares. • Slovak Club Ladies Auxiliary Penny Social @ (619 Manhattan Ave) 1pm, $5, Win terrific prizes like a flat panel TV, 50/50 Raffle, Coffee & cake served. ♫ Kimya Dawson / Rob Sonic / Sir Jarlsberg @ Europa (98 Meserole Ave) 7pm, $12
MONDAY 12/3 • THE WORST! @ Good Bye Blue Monday (1087 Broadway, Bushwick) 8-9:30pm, $5, a hilarious evening of writers, musicians, and other weirdos telling stories about the worst jobs, roommates, and dates they’ve ever had, RSVP
TUESDAY 12/4 ♥ Big Brooklyn Holiday Toy Drive @ Red Star (37 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $20 donation or a new, unwrapped toy, valued at $20, food, open bar, DJs, raffle, door prizes, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 12/5 • Subjectified: Nine Young Women Talk about Sex, A Documentary @ YWCA (30 3rd Ave, BK) 7pm, FREE, Screening a cutting-edge documentary that lets women define sexuality on their own terms, RSVP • 94th Precinct Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7pm ♫ Miniboone / Leapling / Quiet Loudly / Wilder Maker @ Death By Audio (49 So. 2nd St) 8pm, $7
* Greenpointers’ Pick ♫ Music ♥ SANDY BENEFIT ♦ Art Event
• Thurs-Sat. 9/27-9/29: Nothing Lasts Forever, Nothing is Lost Forever @ The End (18 Kent St) 7:30pm & 9:30pm, In a world of archaic beasts, wandering girls, and the last bird on earth, ‘Nothing Lasts’ is a roving performance installation that rages against the dying of the light. Buy Tickets
• Weatherization Workshop @ Greenpoint Library (107 Norman Ave) 5pm-7pm, FREE, hosted by the People’s Firehouse and Community Environmental Center, to help home owners apply for no-cost or low-cost weatherization
• Newtown Creek Alliance Meeting @ Vander-Ende Onderdonk House (1820 Flushing Ave) 6pm, a short tour of the house then meeting dedicated to review of mission, fall programs and vision for the creek.
♦ The Beginning Opening Reception @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) 7-10pm, the first group show, a gorgeous catalog of nearly thirty artists, travelling the underground and overground international ley lines.
♦ Dead Dudes Done Right Opening Reception @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose St) 7-11pm, monumental portrait extravaganza and live music, RSVP
♦ ”Exhibit A” Opening Reception @ Calico Gallery (67 West St) 7-9pm, the first of two inaugural group shows at the new gallery space located within the historic Greenpoint Terminal warehouse building, RSVP
* Greenpointers Big Fat Blawg Birthday @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 9pm, Cake by Ovenly, $2 Beer 9-10pm, RSVP, VIDEO INVITATION
♫ Brooklyn Bass Presents: Das Moth with Cooper Saver and Ex Ex Ex @ Bellwether (594 Union Ave) 9pm-4am, Free, More info
♫ Tony Castles / Backwords / Zula / Ancient Sky @ Delinquency (1031 Grand St.) 9pm
♦ Newtown Creek Armada @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (Paidge Ave & Provost St) 1-4pm, FREE, an art installation that invites the public to explore the creek, visitors will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-control boats along the creek’s surface, More Info
• Field Trip day Greenpoint, Meet @ Transmitter Park, 2pm, FREE, Explore until 6pm, learn to tie nautical knots, launch miniature boats on Newtown Creek, solve the riddle of the two-faced jewelers clock, interview 1880′s oil industry workers, play with electricity under the guidance of the inventor who sealed Edison’s fame, Afterparty 6pm @ Brooklyn Rail Office (99 Commercial St), More info
♫ Japanther / Team Spirit / Unstoppable Death Machines / Cool Serbia / Malcolm @ The Paper Box (17 Meadow St) 9pm, $10
• Adopt NY’s Pet Adoption Event @ McCarren Park, 12-4pm, More info
• Water Quality Event @ North Brooklyn Boat Club (49 Ash St) 3-7pm, an afternoon dedicated to stewardship for our local water bodies, the event will feature presentations from a number of local organizations including the Newtown Creek Alliance, Riverkeeper, Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance and New York City Water Trails Association. Also elebrate the arrival of the Capital to Capitol by Canoe expedition in NYC, More info
• Sewing Class @ Kill Devil HIll (170 Franklin St) 5-7pm, $30, basics in fitting, altering, and hand sewing, RSVP: 347.534.3088 or email killdevilhill (at) gmail.com, mention Greenpointers for $5 off!
• Gunk Under Greenpoint Bike Tour @ NAG (110 Kent Ave) 12pm, Come and tour industrial North Brooklyn and learn about “black mayonnaise” and the other nastiness that lurks beneath the surface of Newtown Creek and discuss the future of this rapidly developing neighborhood, RSVP
♫ Dum Dum Girls @ Europa (98 Meserole Ave) 7pm, $15
• 94th Precint Meeting @ Church of the Ascension (122 Java St) 7pm
FRIDAY 8/10 ♫ An Evening with Cake @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Avenue) 6pm, Buy Tix
• GymD8ter Speed Dating @ Human@Ease (31 Nassau Ave) 7pm, $35, spend the evening working out and getting to know someone new before we head next door for drinks and a late happy hour, h’orderves & drinks all night
♦ Amanda LaMarco Artist Opening @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, live music by Baba Yaga (unplugged), local fine art, and delicious wine & cheese, RSVP
♦ Kickoff Party for the Fall Fundraiser @ Vaudeville Park (26 Bushwick Ave) 7:30pm, FREE, super fancy cocktails, live DJ sets by Baby Copperhead, Blake 0, and Joey Johnson
♫ Cruel Summer 80s Dance Party @ Bell House (149 7th St., Gowanus) 8am-2pm, $10, More info ♫ Darlings, Sundelles, Automotive Highschool @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $8
SATURDAY 8/11 * Open Canoe Paddle @ NBBC Boatyard (49 Ash St) 4:30-7:30pm, More info ♫ Chappo / The Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt @ Delinquency (1031 Grand St.) 8pm
SUNDAY 8/12 • Monthly Meeting for Friends of McGolrick Park @ (McGolrick Park Pavilion) 1pm, decide how we’re going to spend our Exxon money and raise some more, RSVP
MONDAY 8/14 • Words by the Water: Melville House Night @ East River State Park (Kent Avenue at N. 9th St) 7-8pm, Free, outdoor reading series, More info
TUESDAY 8/15 * The Last Bohemia with Robert Anasi @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Anasi lived in Williamsburg from the early ’90s to the late 2000s and witnessed first-hand the rapid changes in the neighborhood. Come talk local history with him as he presents his memoir. ♫ Publicist, Free Blood, TV Baby, DJ DirtyFinger @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7 • Dalaga What Not To Wear Viewing Party @ TBD (224 Franklin St) 10-11pm, watch the premiere of Dalaga on What Not To on their amazing big screen TVs and projection screen! ♫ Zebros @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 11pm, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event