• On Greenpoint’s art scene, Calico Brooklyn’s Scott Chasse comments: “Greenpoint’s art scene is a sleeping giant,” in an article about the gallery in Art File Magazine.
• BUG OUT! Become a Brooklyn Urban Gardener (get it?) at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.
• Cafe Grumpy opening in Time’s Square? Yes. (Brokelyn)
• BK Flea shut down last week, “because the edge is a poorly constructed piece of garbage.” (Free Williamsburg)
• We are in the siding capital of the world, but if you so have a Brownstone, find out if it’s a wood frame.
• Another cafe is coming to Greenpoint in the fall, and you can also buy a Nordic sweater there. (Village Voice)
• Don’t worry the Sunday Night Liquor Curfew is not happening in Greenpoint! (Bushwick Daily)
• But Silent Barn got a liquor license (Brokelyn)!
• MoMA PS1 has installed a temporary geodesic dome in the Rockaways to serve as a center for culture, education, and community.
• My Free Concert & Brooklyn Vegan are psyched about Brain Cave Festival – so are we!!!
• Girls is missing out on some sweet spots in Greenpoint (Brooklyn Magazine)
• Go Monsanto! “Congress passed a bill last week that included a provision which “protects genetically modified seeds from litigation in the face of health risks.” (GOOD)
• Half of Brooklyn’s most styish women live in Greenpoint (Brooklyn Exposed)
• Stop-Motion video of Domino Sugar Factory stars a package of Domino sugar (Animal NY)
• Vinnie’s Pay tribute to Game Of Thrones (FreeWilliamsburg)
• Gay marriage as measure on Facebook “when this movement goes down in the history books, it won’t just include photos of Harvey Milk, but screengrabs of fuzzy viral jpeg artifacts, too.” (Fast Company)
Category: News, The Hook-Up
Tags: Brooklyn, gay marriage, Greenpoint, links, monsanto, news, style, the hook-up, weblinks, website, week in review
• Sad News: Gowanus Dolphin Dies (HuffPost) and jokes on twitter (you know who you are) were not funny
• Sandy Soil Contamination Study Begins via GWAAP
• NYShitty’s Milton St Respite Meeting Recap
• Condom Sex is Good Sex (Brokleyn)
• Eagle St Rooftop Farm on GOOD
• Bushwick Attacks Follow-up via Bushwick Daily
• #Not In Greenpoint (Thank God!), Bushwick Leads The Rat Race, in real rats! (NY Mag)
• Our upcoming (and sold out) Sunday Supper on Grub St
• Pay What You Wish Vendor Space Across From Domino (Brokelyn)
• Too lazy to drop your compost off at McCarren Park? Vokashi Can Pick It Up for $40/mo (Brooklyn Based)
• Does Your Kitchen Need Help? 15 Tips For A Tidy Kitchen (theKitchn)
• Do You Bus It? New Routes & Restored Line (Brooklyn Paper)
• Brooklyn Brewery … Wait For It: In Sweden! (Gothamist)
Hooking you up with some links you might find interesting and useful:
• E Cook Book For Red Hook Relief (Brokelyn)
• New Paulie G Joint in Baltimore (Serious Eats)
• Last Minute Brooklyn Gifts (Brooklyn Based)
• Residents Say No To Big Chains For New Mall in Bushwick (DNA Info)
• Map of the Villages of Brooklyn 1827 (Brooklyn Historical Society)
• Lost Streets Of Greenpoint (Forgotten NY)
• Fire on Norman and Jewel Leaves Eight Injured (DNAinfo)
GREENPOINT FOOD NEWS
• Exciting! Owners of Matchless to ReOpen Park Luncheonette (Eater)
• How can one chose? The 7 Best Brunches in Greenpoint according to Brokelyn.
• On the scene: Paulie Gee on Heritage Radio
• Brooklynites like to Throw Around Their Cash More Than Voting (Animal)
• Bushwick Daily has a sex advise column. So Jealous!
• Greenpoint’s Duke Riley is a
pirate alternative sailor on a waterway near you! (Vice)
HOLY SHIT HALLOWEEN
• Get Your Ghoul On (Brooklyn Based)
• 50+ Free & Cheap (The Skint)
• Paranormal Brooklyn (Brokelyn)
• Halloween Pranks On Your Neighbors That Save Toilet Paper (Gizmodo)
• Pretty scary: Pregnant Mom Mugged At Gunpoint While Pushing Stroller In McCarren Park (Gothamist)
• A Brewery / Restaurant is coming to the Greenpoint Waterfront from our friends at Brouwerij Lane (DNA Info)
• Would it be cool to have osprey platform’s on the East River? Jamaica Bay has Ospreys (Queens NYC)
• Domino Sugar Sold, Affordable Housing in Question (Gothamist)
• Marketing Stunt By Hipster Haters Doesn’t Result in Hipster Beating (Brokelyn)
• Hipster Coloring Book – Really (Brooklyn Paper)
• Backwords Video from Greenpointers CMJ Showcase (Free Williamsburg)
• Golly We Need a Greener City; Green City Design Competition (Good)
• We don’t get usually get all gaga over social media attention but we were majorly honored when Audubon Society retweeted Greenpointers’ recent story on Birds of McGolrick Park!
North Brooklyn News
• DNA Info: Williamsburg Antique Store Owner Arrested for Alleged Sexual Assault: Greenpointers had a lot to say about “this guy” Joseph Loiacono (left) on our Facebook page.
• ABC Local: Vehicle hits woman, 2 children in East Williamsburg - Neighbors literally pulled victims from underneath the crash.
• Fire on Dupont Results in Tragic Death of Greenpointer
• Running red lights ain’t worth it, according to Gothamist Cyclist Slapped With $1,555 In Fines During A Single Traffic Stop
• Grub Street: Greenpoint’s No Name Bar Swaps Out Ramen for Thai Fishball Noodle Soup. Food service starts at 4pm; we cannot wait to try the new menu (above).
Greenpoint Real Estate Development
In Response to Our Story “Huge Greenpoint Development Underway?”:
• Curbed: Plans For Greenpoint’s 10 Luxury Towers Moving Forward
• Gothamist: Greenpoint Developer Wants to Build 10 Huge Towers, Giant Bridge
• Free Williamsburg: Goodbye ‘Boardwalk Empire Set’, Hello Trashy Miami Style Condo Complex?
• Queens NYC: East Rockaway Inlet to be dredged this Fall, Rockaway Beach gets that sand to help with beach erosion
• These movie lists via Brooklyn Based rule! Netflix Instant Movies from Paste and HTML Giant
• Greenpointers’ upcoming show at Delinquency was listed on Brokleyn’s Your Complete Guide to Free Shows at the CMJ 2012 Music Marathon!
• Ed Notes: Parents Sue SUNY Over Charter School Authorization
• Mommy Poppins: List of Indoor Play Areas in Greenpoint
•Brooklyn Rail: I Was A Brooklyn Townie
• Capital New York: A skeptic calls for speed-camera experimentation on McGuinness Boulevard
• Bushwick Daily: Local Musician Killed on Bike
• BK Mag: Have Hipsters and Gentrification Ruined Brooklyn?
• Gizmodo: How to Beat Time Warner’s Bullsh*t Modem Rental Fee
• Hyperallergic: See GO Brooklyn’s Top 10 Artist Nominees
• Edible Communities: A Sneak Peek at M. Wells Dinette | World’s Fare
• Die Hipster: Glow Necklace Kidult Kickball! Like Yah!!!
• A Walk in the Park: Oil Released Into Jamaica Bay
• Animal NY: “Feral Diagram 2.0″ Maps the Graffiti Genome”
• Bushwick Daily: 11 Bars/Restaurants that Opened in Bushwick Within Past Six Months
• Free Williamsburg: Italian Restaurant Fabricca Has Soft Opening in Williamsburg