Lucie Levine is the founder of Archive on Parade, a local tour and event company that aims to take New York’s fascinating history out of the archives and into the streets. She’s a Native New Yorker, licensed New York City tour guide, and freelance writer with a passion for the city’s social, political and cultural history.
^ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn | 75th Anniversary Party @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St.), 5pm, FREE, Special guests Amy Lyons, artist of the HarperCollins 75th Anniversary edition cover, and the family of Betty Smith–along with contemporary authors–help celebrate a book that, according to The New Yorker, “deserves to be thought of as one of the greatest American novels,” RSVP * An Ecological History of the Bushwick Inlet and its Environment @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 7pm, FREE, With the continued development of Williamsburg and Greenpoint along the East River shore, it’s hard to imagine that Brooklyn was once a thriving wetland, with winding streams carrying freshwater running right below our feet, More Info ♦ Machine//Body @ Arete Gallery (67 West St. #103), 8pm, $10-15, sound and movement, space and architecture, More Info ♫ How To Dress Well, Baltra @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, $20, Buy Tix
* Los Sures Thanksgiving Dinner @ First Spanish Presbyterian Church (157 S. 3rd St.), 6pm, FREE, communal dinner and turkey raffle, more info ♦ Advent Kickoff | Potluck Supper + Opening Reception @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 6pm, FREE, art exhibit and potluck, More Info ♫ The Travelin’ McCourys @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Mercury Program and Square Peg Round Hole @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $12-15, Buy TixContinue reading →
* URBAN-X Panel Discussion: Exploring The Future of Affordable Housing @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, RSVP * 94 Precinct Community Council Meeting @ St. John’s Lutheran Church (155 Milton St.), 7pm, FREE,More Info ♫ Afroperuano Group (Live Recording Video) Free Pisco Tasting @ Scholes St. Studio (375 Lorimer St.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ C Z A R I N A, Bunny X, Turbo Goth, Valentine @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix
♫ Goldie Awards 2nd Annual DJ & Beat Battle @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 6pm, $25, Buy Tix ♦ Art Opening: Brett Satterlund & Friends @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) 6pm, FREE, Photography Exhibit, More Info ^ An Evening with Michael Lally & Lonely Christopher @ Brooklyn’s House of Kava (238 Central Ave.), 7pm, FREE, an evening of poetry and chatting, more info ♫ BRIC After Dark: Gala After Party @ Brooklyn Navy Yard (63 Flushing Ave.), 9pm, $75+, Buy TixContinue reading →
#♫ A Costume Dinner Party with Salt Cathedral @ Le Fanfare (1103 Manhattan Ave.), 7pm, $50 includes food and beer, Music presented by Wild Honey Pie, Buy Tix * TRIVIA on Halloween Night! @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, Join me for a Halloween Trivia and Costume Party EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! Win food, drinks, cookies, bragging rights!!!RSVP ♫ Twerk or Treat @ El Cortez (17 Ingraham St.), 8pm, FREE, RSVP ♫ Horrorscope Halloween Party @ Wayward Social (35 Ingraham St.), 8pm, $5, Buy Tix ♫ Godmother: Halloween Trina!!! X AJA X Valentina DJ Brooke Candy @ 3 Dollar Bill (360 Meserole St.), 8pm, $25-35, Buy Tix ♫ The Crystal Method – Halloween Party! @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, $20-25, Buy Tix ♫ Gala of the Gone Halloween @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 9pm, FREE w/ RSVP, $10 at the door, RSVP
* 50 Kent Ave Design Presentation @ Bushwick Inlet Park (86 Kent Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, NYC Parks will be presenting their permanent design concept for the 50 Kent Ave section of Bushwick Inlet Park to the Parks & Waterfront Committee of Community Board #1. Your input is valuable! More Info ♫ King Buffalo, The Golden Grass @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.) 7pm, $10-12, Buy Tix ^ Hope Ewing In Conversation with Natalka Burian @ WORD (126 Franklin St.), 7:30pm, FREE, An evening on writing and drinking, More info ♫ PROF @ Rough Trade (64 N. 9th St.), 7:30pm, $15, Buy TixContinue reading →
Next Thursday, November 8th, NYC Council Member Stephen Levin will hold a community meeting at the Dupont Senior Center (80 Dupont St.) for concerned parents to discuss the proposed site for Greenpoint’s newest K-8 school.
Levin stipulates that this meeting will not focus on the Superfund site so much as on the school itself. He said in a Facebook post: “We would like to meet with Greenpoint parents to discuss the school that will be getting built in the area. We have had several meetings about the Nuhart site but would like to concentrate the school and what people need to know and have questions about regarding the school itself.”
This graffiti is one example of the ways in which the ugly core of our national discourse has emboldened groups and individuals who revel in the pain and disenfranchisement of those they hate and fear. One way to impact that national conversation, and make your voice heard amidst the chaos, is to vote. You can find your polling place here!
See you at the polls on November 6th, Greenpoint! Your voice matters.
Williamburg’s Kadampa Meditation Center brings a mindful approach to dealing with anxiety. Learn how to focus the mind on the internal causes of peace and happiness and explore the nature and causes of anxiety, how to let go and respond positively and discover your actual nature from which our true potential arises. Wednesday, (October 24, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM) @ Meditation Center Williamsburg (119 North 11th St.). $15 for the Special Event, followed by $15 per class, or sign up for all five follow-on classes in advance for $50 (save $25). [Sponsored]
♦ Movies Under the Stars – Fear(s) of the Dark @ Bushwick Inlet Park (50 Kent Ave.), 6pm, FREE, 2007 French black and white animated horror movie, More Info ♫ THOTITE IN THE FRIDGE HALLOWEEN PARTY@ Rubulad (Bushwick), 6pm, $22-150, Buy tix ♫ Moon Taxi @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 8pm, $35, Buy Tix ♫ FULL FLEX with Khalil & Minderella, Ra Mico @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More info
♦ ESS Community Projects ART Party! @ New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd.), 7pm, $50+ enjoy food, drinks and art in support of Eckford Street Studio. All proceeds benefit Eckford Street Studio, Buy Tix ♫ Spotlights, The Life And Times, Geometers @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.) 7pm, $12-15, Buy Tix * Watery Worlds: Our Solar System’s Hotspots For Life @ The Evergreens Cemetery (1629 Bushwick Avenue), 7pm, $20, Explore the Universe with Atlas Obscura and Scientific American, More info ♫ Rosehardt w/ duendita, DJ set by No Intimate @ Rough Trade (64 N. 9th St.), 10pm, $10, Buy TixContinue reading →
♦ Halloween Pumpkins with Lillian Farag @ The Hoxton (97 Wythe Ave.), 7pm, $20, learn to paint pumpkins1 Buy Tix ^ Extraordinary Deaths Book Launch@ WORD (126 Franklin St.), 7:30pm, $5 voucher, Buy tix ♫ Three Nights of Gutterween! @ Gutter Bar (200 North 14th St.), 8pm, FREE, Cover bands all night long! More Info ♫ Holy Ghost! DJ set, Paul Raffaele & Barbie Bertisch, Spicy Boys @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 10pm, $15, celebrate the Good Room’s 4th Anniversary Halloween Weekend! Buy Tix
* Fascination Street Halloween Market 2018 @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 6pm, FREE, Punk, rock n roll, goth, kawaii, Lolita fashion/jewelry/art, oddities and MORE. More Info ♫ Halloween 2018 w/ Evolfo, Night Powers, Six Time Users @ Rubulad (Bushwick) 9pm, $15, email [email protected] for address, More info ♫ The Haunting in Brooklyn @ Lot 45 Bushwick (411 Troutman St.), 10pm, FREE w/ RSVP before 11, More info Continue reading →
With some turf and a table, the Pulaski Bridge pedestrian lane just got a little greener. A small “park” installation has been slotted into the span’s scenic-overlook which offers unobstructed views of Newtown Creek. Continue reading →
Greenpoint Beer& Ale and Knick Knacks Brooklyn are teaming up one more time before the year is over and they’re going all out on October 21st for #crabfest#round3! They will be offering UNLIMITED SNOW CRAB LEGS with an order of SHRIMP, POTATOES and CORN for 75 MINS! ($65 per ticket – drinks a la carte) Get your fill, you don’t want to be the one left out! Check out the ticket link and pick your session. See you there! Buy tix [Sponsored]
♫ The O’My’s @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St.), 8pm, $15, Buy Tix ♫ Big Thief@ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 8pm, $22, Buy tix ♫ Sontag Shogun, Christopher Tignor, Anastasia Clarke @ Arete Venue and Gallery (67 West St. #103), 8pm, $15, An evening of abstract sentimental music (for lovers and loners alike). All artists performing new music from forthcoming releases and improvisation, More Info ♫ ALBERICH, Geography Of Hell, DJ Becka Diamond, DJ JonBenet, DJ Guilt Attendant @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 11pm, $10, Buy Tix
♦ Nicolas Holiber: Birds on Broadway Audubon Sculpture Project @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Ave.), 5:30pm, $15 suggested, Learn about an ambitious public-art project set to line Broadway with 12 larger than life bird sculptures next year, more info * Pints for Paws @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) 6pm, $5 raffle ticket, hourly raffle to benefit BARCS Animal Shelter, More info # COPENHAGEN FOOD with author Trine Hahnemann @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, FREE, Get a free glass of Glögg with the purchase of the new cookbook Copenhagen Food: Stories, Traditions and Recipes, More info ^♥ The Poetry Brothel: Season of the Witch @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 7pm, $50+, immersive cabaret featuring poetry, burlesque, live music, vaudeville, aerials, visual art, magic, and mysticism, with newly integrated themes, performances and installations at each event. Buy TixContinue reading →
♫ Busty and the Bass @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Midnight @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 8pm, $26, Buy tix ♫ Lost Girls (Jenny Hval & Håvard Volden – North American Debut) @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ Exek / Richard Papiercuts / Orion / DJ Zack Lipez @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 11pm, $12, Buy Tix
* 2018 NAG Gala @ BIBA Brooklyn (110 Kent Ave.) 7pm, $125+, the evening will recognize NAG’s history, activism and advocacy, and share the future of their work in Greenpoint and Williamsburg, Buy Tix ♫ Material Support & Namatay Sa Ingay record release/benefit show @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 7pm, $10, more info ♫ AcousticaElectronica with ToUch Performance Art @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 7pm, $29-49, Buy Tix ♫ Quantic with Underground System (live) plus The Funky Seshwa @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 10pm, $15-20, Buy Tix
♦ Williamsburg Special Gallery Evening @ Williamsburg, 6pm, FREE, Williamsburg second Fridays are back. Six galleries will stay open late, expect art, music abd events, More Info ♫ The Roller Wave: Roller Disco @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 6pm, $10 Buy Tix ♫ Luna Fox: Phases 4@ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 8pm, $6-8, Buy Tix ♫ Dance With The Dead, Daniel Deluxe, Valentine @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 9pm, $20, Buy Tix
# CLASS: No Doubt Sauerkraut for Oktoberfest @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 10am, $50, Each student will learn three different ways to make kraut and create their own jar to take home to enjoy later. Plus, in the spirit of Oktoberfest, share a meal of local polish kielbasa smothered in ferments, mustard, and drink seasonal beer (yes, for breakfast-ish.) Buy Tix * Plant Daffodils in Transmitter Park Fall 2018 @ Transmitter Park (Greenpoint Ave.), 10am, FREE, Tools & refreshments will be provided, More Info ♦ Shorts Block: FEMALE CINEMATOGRAPHER | #Bushwick2018 @ LightSpace Studios (130 Thames St.), 2:35pm, $13, Buy Tix ♫ Synthesis by Undermind @ Bogart House (230 Bogart St.), 10pm, FREE, Join Undermind for its launch party: Synthesis by Undermind. The night will be divided into three chapters, each with custom vibes and visuals, More Info
* Get to the Point 5K Run @ St. Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Academy (12 Newel St.), 10:30am, $20-45, children’s races at 10:30, 5k at 1, pre and post-race party! Buy Tix ♦ The Addams Family with Wednesday’s Lemonade @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave.), 5pm, $22,Buy Tix ♫ CALLS, Coastlands, Akari, Corpse Meditation @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave.), 6:30pm, $8, Buy Tix ♫ Love & Respect V: A Funky Soul Rebellion @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 7pm, $5 before 8pm, $10 after, More Info
♫ Terror Harms Way Backtrack Year Of The Knife Candy and Ekulu @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 6pm, $14-16, Buy Tix # Case Vecchie Riunione with Fabrizia Lanza, David Tanis and Maira Kalman @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $25, join the empress of Sicily’s most famous cooking school, Fabrizia Lanza of Case Vecchie di Regaleali, for a rare “Riunione” with her former students and brilliant friends David Tanis and Maira Kalman, Buy Tix ♫ Speakeasy Streets + The Nevermind Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave.), 7pm, $8, Buy tix ♫ Told Slant + Lily Konigsberg + Felicia Douglass + Franz Charcoal @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 7pm, $12-15, Buy Tix
♫ The Milk Carton Kids @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 7pm, $30-125, Buy Tix ♦ Reconstructing the 1938 International Amateur Movie Show @ Light Industry (155 Freeman St.), 7pm, $8, presenting 6 films originally shown in 1938, More Info ♫ ASTOR (UK/Aus), Lary 7, Spencer Herbst, Skydiver @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix
* Greenpointers Pick ♫ Music ^ Literary Event ♦ Art & Film ☺ Comedy Event # Foodie Event ♥ Pheremones Likely