Crowned “a genuine rock goddess” by the Associated Press, MegMyers is a singer songwriter with cathartic and healing music. The Tennessee native takes her most recent release, Take Me To The Disco — a dark-pop effort at reclaiming her painful past through menacing tunes — on the road for her national tour. Hit songs include “Lemon Eyes,” “Desire,” and the newly released “Numb.”
“I came from this grunge, punk-rock background, but I always wanted to write catchy pop songs,” Myers says. “I just didn’t have the technical knowledge to make them work. But I grew up listening to well-crafted songs. I loved Sting, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, James Taylor and Fleetwood Mac. That’s what I was drawn to. I love the simplicity of a great song, I just didn’t realize how hard that was to capture in a recording. That’s why working with Rosen is so great. It was like, ‘Okay, I found this guy I can write songs with and who is really good at turning everything into pop, while still letting me be myself.'”
You can catch Myers at the Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 North 6th Street) on October 1. Doors open at 7:30; concert starts at 8:30 with Adam Jones opening. Tickets are just $20!
* F-Valentine’s Day! @ Bushwick Country Club (618 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, Free BBQ! Free raffles! Come drink with us on “singles awareness day,” More info ♫ Queers <3 Covers – Valentine’s Day Punk Cover Show @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave), 7:30pm, $7 – $10, Come celebrate the love that will never leave you, music, with a night of cover bands. All proceeds donated to Direct Relief for Puerto Rico, More info ♫ Valentines Village of Love Show & Dance for Planned Parenthood! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 7pm, $25, More info ♫ Deep Space Love Night | DJ Spinna b2b François K. @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Deep Space celebrates Valentine’s Day with a special night celebrating love, by any definition, with DJ Spinna back-to-back with Francois K. all night, Buy tix
^ John Yau & Barry Schwabsky @ Spoonbill Studio (99 Montrose Ave), 7pm, FREE, John presents “The Wild Children of William Blake” and Barry presents “Heretics of Language,” More info ♫ Show with Van Goose, Violets are Wet, Petal Crush @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 8pm, $10, More info ♫ ShowYourNice X ONLY WAVE ENT Present Antics & Fiends @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8:30pm, $7, More info ☺ Call Your Dad: Bitcoin, Cash and Wallstreet Baby @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Money Money Money Money. Bit Coin Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Neoliberal. Cash cash captialism, big buildings fast cars money and cars. 80s, 08, 2015-2018. Satire? No-tire, More infoContinue reading →
* Day of the Ancestors (Dead) Celebration w/ Maestro Manuel Rufino @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 6pm, FREE, Come and make PEACE with your ancestors, heal old relationships, make peace with the ones that left before us, reprogram your DNA. Forget, forgive, let go, More info ♫ Boris w/ Mutoid Man, Endon @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $22, Buy tix ☺ Bazaar Comedy ft. Josh Johnson, Janelle James, Mookie Thompson and more! @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $8, Hosted by Mookie Thompson and featuring nationally recognized acts with no drink minimum and no absurd ticket price. This is the real deal, More info ☺ Parks and Recreation Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 9pm, FREE, Watch for things like the Snakehole lounge, breakfast food, and portraits of Hillary Clinton. Listen for mentions of “Tammy,” “Duke Silver,” and “Mouserat.” Get a BINGO and you’ll win a free drink! More info
♫ Día de Los Muertos Happy Hour and Dance Party @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 6:30pm, $50, Join Mixteca Organization for a celebration of life and the Day of the Dead. Mexican food and drinks and music by DJ Geko Jones! Proceeds will benefit Mixteca Organization’s legal and emotional health services for recently-arrived immigrants, Buy tix ♫ AVERSED/Circuitry/Dead City Crown/Animist/Suaka @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 7pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ CF25: Kicking Giant, Pacific Ocean, Bridget St John, Honeybunch @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $15, Buy tix Continue reading →
Brooklyn-based singer songwriter, Josh Ritter and his Royal City Band, provided safe harbor from the storm at Brooklyn Steel (309 Frost St) during Sunday’s torrential downpour. The weather was a nice touch for a show supporting Ritter’s ninth full-length studio album, Gathering, an album Ritter has described as a “record full of storms”.
This is Ritter’s 20th year of playing and recording music and his latest album, while marking a departure from some of his more traditional folk roots by incorporating aspects of rockabilly and gospel, remains original, fresh and an organic next step. His songs across these nine albums span the full spectrum of the human experience, allowing his listeners to reach for one during a break up, one when experiencing the giddiness of new love, another when at a crossroads, but all with an undercurrent of optimism that leads you to believe that even when your heart is breaking, there’s a silver lining you just haven’t uncovered yet. It is likely that this is the reason that Sunday’s audience clearly felt such a strong connection to each word and poetic turn of phrase he performed on stage. Returning to Ritter’s music often feels like an old friend draping a warm and comforting blanket around your shoulders.Continue reading →
**Looking for all the Halloween parties? Check out our roundup. Looking for anything non-Halloween? Keep on scrolling!**
♫ Maryla Rodowicz @ PSFCU (100 McGuinness Blvd), 5pm, FREE, Legenda polskiej muzyki rozrywkowej spotka się ze swoimi fanami/The legendary Polish singer & actress is stopping by Greenpoint to meet her fans, More info # White Wine + Cheese @ Bedford Cheese Shop (265 Bedford Ave), 6pm, $60, An educational adventure into the practice of pairing – and an introduction into how milk makes cheese, how grapes make wine, and how to make the most of the pairing possibilities, Buy tix ♫ Cocomo Presents: Noia / Elsz / Evan Ønly @ North Brooklyn Farms (320 Kent Ave), 7pm, $5-$10 suggested, More info ♫ Willie Watson and Colter Wall @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 8pm, $20, Buy tix * Alotta Trivia & a Movie – Hocus Pocus @ Metropolitan Bar (559 Lorimer St), 9pm, FREE, Watch a screening of Hocus Pocus with trivia right after with Alotta McGriddles!!! Win Pitchers or Wells for every round and Free Pizza!!!, More info
♦ PAFF x Alexi Lubomirski Present: Young Poland @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave), 6pm, FREE, Curated by Alexi Lubomirski, Young Poland will serve as an insight to the next generation of accomplished photographers born in Poland in the 1980s and ’90s, More info ☺ Sad, Sad 🙂 – Talking Comedy and Depression @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 6:30pm, FREE, Gregory Uzelac moderates an inciteful and darkly funny discussion with fellow NY comedians to talk about their own experiences with mental illness and how that translates into humor on stage, More info * Medicinal Mushrooms: Healing Body, Soul, & World @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $20, Fungi are the web that weaves us all together! Join us to learn about the amazing, multi-faceted healing aspects of mushrooms and fungi, considered by many to be our most intimate allies, Buy tix ♫ Stefan Zeniuk and Green Mambo @ Threes Franklin + Kent (113 Franklin St), 8pm, FREE, A steamy, goofy, and fun night of old-school mambos, with the occassional cha cha cha, rumba, and psychedelic jungle trance, More info ♦ Independent Women: The Babadook @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 9:30pm, $12, A widowed mother (Essie Davis), plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son’s fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her. Costumes are strongly encouraged, Buy tix Continue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/11 ♦ Annie Novak’s Illustrations on Birds @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Ave), 6pm, FREE, Author Annie Novak’s new work explores animal migration with history, humor, curiosity, and a vibrant visual imagination, prompting the reader to look at the skies above in a new light, More info * Sacred Song School Fundraiser for Puerto Rico @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, FREE, Class dedicated to raise funds for the purchasing & distribution of food & water. We are in direct contact with a group of people who are working to supply those in need, RSVP ♫ Moses Sumney w/ Xenia Rubinos @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix
THURSDAY 10/12 * Hurricane Maria Relief Drive @ The Living Gallery BK (1094 Broadway), 4pm, FREE, Hey There Beautiful Inc, Queens of Abundance and The Trap are collaborating to support relief efforts in Puerto Rico, More info ♦ Labyrinth Coloring Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 6:45pm, $22, Each ticket includes a copy of Jim Henson’s Labyrinth Adult Coloring Book and a set of colored pencils so you can color along to the film! Buy tix ♫ OxenFree (Record Release), Vassals, The Royal They @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ BEMF Presents: DJ Marky, Reid Speed, Kellam Matthews @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 9/27 ♦ Crenius Presents: The Portal @ Kinfolk Store (94 Wythe Ave), 4pm, FREE, Art Exhibition • Live Music • Good Vibes, More info ♫ Nosaj Thing / Jacques Greene, Jim-E Stack @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $22, Buy tix * Pole of Fortune @ Velvet Brooklyn (174 Broadway), 8:30pm, $5, Watch 10 dancers put their luck to the test by spinning our wheel of 12 musical genres and dancing it out completely freestyle, More info ♫ Kings of Karaoke – Heavy Metal Karaoke @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 10pm, FREE, More info
THURSDAY 9/28 * Taste of Iceland in NYC: Cocktail Class @ Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave), 5:30pm, FREE, Join Brennivin cocktail champion Kári Sigurðsson and National Reyka Vodka Brand Ambassador Trevor Schneider for an Icelandic cocktail class, More info ♫ Emarosa w/ A Lot Like Birds, Jule Vera @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, $12, Buy tix ☺ Let’s Get Physical @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 7pm, FREE, Sweet, sweaty improv with a buncha fellow gym rats followed by some even sweatier sketch comedy and stand up, More info * Miss Subways Extravaganza 2017 @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $20, In a night of performances spanning the classy, the trashy, the weird, and the whimsical, contestants will demonstrate their love, frustration, and ultimate devotion to their subway line of choice, More info Continue reading →
Greenpoint Beer & Ale has a bigger than big Oktoberfest for Sept. 23rd through Oct. 1st! Tapping 2 super rare gravity kegs from Franconia and featuring 4 guest drafts from Munich, Mahrs Saphire Weisse, Monchshof Festbier & Ayinger Oktoberfest. Mug holding contest at 5 PM each Saturday! Come dressed in an Oktoberfest costume and receive a complimentary beer. Oktoberfest food specials include Sausages with Red Cabbage and Schnitzel. (sponsored)
WEDNESDAY 9/20 * Chuffed.org Crowdfunding for Social Causes Workshop @ New Woman Space (188 Woodpoint Rd), 6pm, $65, Get an intro to Crowdfunding & learn the secrets of what it takes to run a successful campaign on Chuffed.org, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Virgo @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, The New Moon traveling through Virgo urges us to reactivate or restore something through practicality, sensibility, and stability, Buy tix ♫ Little Gorgeous (Bee-Bop) @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info
* Bowl Hashanah: Rosh Hashanah with Rabbi Dan Ain and The Sway Machinery’s Jeremiah Lockwood @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 10am, $90, Morning services, Torah reading, Shofar blowing, prayer, meditation,& vegetarian/dairy lunch from Blue Ribbon, Buy tix ^ Where the Animals Go: Tracking Wildlife with Technology in 50 Maps and Graphics @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, “Where the Animals Go” investigates and illustrates the intersection of data technology and animal migration, revealing the natural world as never before, RSVP * Green Witch: Herbs & Ritual for the Autumnal Equinox @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St),Practice rituals in grieving what/who we have lost, in an effort to compost with love and start fresh, 7:30pm, $20, RSVP ♫ Cold Beat, War Bubble, Liberation @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $12, Buy tix Continue reading →
TASTE Williamsburg Greenpoint 2017 is back in its 8th year for another block-party-style event in East River State Park (90 Kent Ave), featuring tastes from over 40 of the neighborhood’s best spots, live music, demonstrations and much, much more! Greenpointers get 40% off tickets!
WEDNESDAY 9/13 ♫ Wilder Maker // Big Search // Jesse Harris @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 7pm, $10, Wilder Maker’s songs keenly observe landscapes of desire and abandon, filled with colorful characters and street revelations, Buy tix ♦ MAG Exhibition Opening Reception @ C’mon Everybody (325 Franklin Ave), 7pm, FREE, Molly Goldfarb’s is filling C’mon Everybody’s renovated gallery space for a solo show full of brand new works, More info ♫ NE-HI, Honduras, Gymshorts @ Alphaville (140 Wilson Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix
THURSDAY 9/14 ^ Ben Blum presents Ranger Games with Matt Gallagher @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE, In his final hours of leave, Alex Blum, with two fellow soldiers and two strangers, drove to a local bank in Tacoma, and committed armed robbery, More info # Pizza Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $19, Pick your toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! We have gluten-free crusts, too!, More info ♫ The Meadows Official Afterparty ft. Big Wild @ Schimanski (54 N 11th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix * Pop-up Ironing @ Brooklyn Safehouse (120 Franklin St), 9pm, FREE, Jeremy Hook is setting up a ironing board and wants to help you fix your rumpled duds. Continue reading →