It’s another weekend packed full of cool shows. Here are some I’ve got my eyes and ears on. Continue reading
Greenpointers Spring Market, Hey Bartender, Equinox Solstice – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (4/09–4/15)
* Agatha et les Lecture Illimitées @ Spectacle Theatre (124 South 3rd St) 7:30pm, $5, Marguerite Duras’ 1981 minimalist French classic, More info
♫ New Music @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, $5, With Celosa / MARTHA / Yaman Palak / Aircrafting, RSVP
♥ Hey Bartender! @ The Graham (151 Meserole St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the release of the 2014 Brokelyn Beer Book, RSVP
♫ Welcome Back @ Body Actualized Center (143 Troutman St) 9pm, $10, With analogue oil projections and digital light displays, plus ARP / Mary Lattimore / Georgia Sounds / Blazer Sound, RSVP
♫ KSCS “Ethereal Dance” Release Party[email protected] Hive NYC (20 Cook St) 8pm, Post-punk electropop from Kiss Slash Crooked Smile, RSVP Continue reading
Soul Imperial is starting a new party series tonight Saturday 3/1 at Broken Land (105 Franklin St) from 10pm-2am. They will be playing a mix of throwback hits from all decades with some current tunes as well. This is a continuation of the party they used to have at K&M for over 5 years (and another 3 years at Royal Oak before that). They sent us this mix to give us an idea of what to expect at this hopefully regular party night in Greenpoint. Loving it! Continue reading
In anticipation of our Phil Collins Day Dance Party TONIGHT at Matchless, I chatted with founder of the holiday, Heather Louise Kramer, whose passion for Mr. Collins is unwavering and frankly, inspirational.
Prepare yourself for the tale of deep love, true admiration, and police intervention that is the history of Phil Collins Day. Just look into those soulful eyes…
GP: How did Phil Collins Day become a thing?
Heather: Phil Collins Day started in High School with some friends and myself. We had grown tired of the production surrounding Valentines Day, especially since it seemed to only celebrate one kind of love, so it was decided that we make a holiday that was more inclusive and could celebrate the multifarious nature of love– heartbreak, crushes, unrequited, longing, etc….for everyone or anyone who has ever felt anything or everything–Balloons, t-shirts, cards, the whole deal.
When I moved to New York, it grew with each celebration, slowly becoming what it is today. My ultimate goal is that people will make this holiday their own.
GP: If I recall, didn’t you and some friends almost get arrested for posting Phil Collins signs around Greenpoint a few years ago? Can you regale us with the story? Continue reading
When this world makes you crazy /
And you’ve taken all you can bear /
You call me up /
Because you know I’ll be there Continue reading
If prix fixe New Year’s Eve dinners are not for you, we have PLENTY of less (BUT STILL) fancy parties you can attend FOR FREE!
• Boulevard Tavern’s New Year’s Eve Bash (579 Meeker Ave) had me at “the greatest pop music you’ve ever heard”…
December 31, 2013, 9PM, FREE
Boulevard’s New Year’s Eve Bash promises to “deliver the goods.” Champagne at midnight, FREE buffet aka “munchies all night,” DJ “H” spins the greatest pop music you’ve ever heard, party hats & favors + good old Times Square ball dropping!
<<< Look at dem arm tats!
No Light No Lycra, the weekly dancing in the dark party at Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) is having a special group show benefit on December 14th, 2013 to benefit Common Ground, a homeless outreach program. Tickets are only $7! (in advance), $10 at the door.
100% of ticket sales will be donated!
Luke Temple (of Here We Go Magic)
Jo Schornikow (of Phosphoresent)
Laura & Greg
& DJ Pumpkin Patch
Beer lovingly supplied by Brooklyn Brewery
An empty parking lot on the Williamsburg waterfront with dramatic, unobstructed views of the New York City skyline. Hundreds of dancers wearing glow in the dark gear, keeping cool with frozen cocktails as the sun sets. A battle of the DJs featuring top spinners from around the city. Partying outdoors until two in the morning, with no visit from the cops or complaints from the neighbors.
The event is Quiet Clubbing Outdoors, and the Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce is bringing it to CitiStorage (5 North 11th Street) on Saturday, June 29th from 8pm-2am.
As party-goers arrive, each will receive a pair of high quality wireless headphones. They can adjust the volume and choose between three DJs, with just a flick of a switch. Blue, red, or green indicator lights on top of the headphones let everyone know what others are listening to. “It’s an exhilarating, fun and unifying experience,” said Will Petz, founder of Quiet Events, who is presenting the event on behalf of the Chamber. “To onlookers, it appears as if people are crazy, dancing and singing to nothing. For those with headsets, it’s party time!”
Top DJs Repete, David Martinez, JVC and Izzy E will be pumping a mix of Rock, Hip Hop, House, 80’s, 90’s and Techno into the headsets from 8PM – 2AM. Red Star Bar will set up a full cash bar and snacks like Italian ices will be available from Grandma Rose’s.
Proceeds from Quiet Clubbing will go to the Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce, which relaunched in late 2012 to support North Brooklyn’s small businesses. “This event is such a great representation of our members,” said Chamber President Jeff Mann. “It’s innovative, creative and fun, like so many of the community’s businesses. Serving the nighttime crowd without disturbing our residents is a huge bonus for us.”
For a preview of Quiet Clubbing, check them out on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/quietevents.
Additional information and tickets are available at http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6301430749?ref=ebtnebtckt.
The Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce presents Quiet Clubbing
Saturday, June 29th – 8PM – 2AM
5 North 11th Street
Sponsored post courtesy of Greenpoint Chamber of Commerce.
Twin Sister, Greenpoint Gallery Night, Earth Day Festival, Collateral Glamage, Public Paddling: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (5/8-5/14)
* Let’s Build A Garden For Greenpoint @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 7-10pm, FREE, Join the 61 Franklin St Garden for a fundraiser to build a community garden, bring donations – including tools, 20% of the bar sales donated, RSVP
♫ YVLTRS / Black Salad / Del Guapo @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* Brooklyn Brewery Night @ Barcade (388 Union Ave) Starting at 4pm, Celebrate Brooklyn Brewery’s 25th Birthday with a very special tap lineup, RSVP
♦ Q and Y: A Brief Comedy About Death @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $8, Play written and directed by Theresa Buchheister, after/during the show you can drink, get haircuts, buy records, look at art, hang out in the garden, make out in the corner!RSVP
♫ Height / Eze Jackson / Handjob Academy / Zebra Baby @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $7, More Info
♦ Greenpoint Gallery Night[email protected] Galleries, 6-9pm, FREE, As art fairs bustle away at opposite ends of the East River, over a dozen galleries open their doors, After party 9pm at Coco 66, RSVP, download map HERE
♦ Portals: A Series @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave), 7-10pm, FREE, The One Well & HollyBear present a collection of mixed media works for your viewing pleasure, More Info
☺An Evening of Music & Comedy @ Death by Audio (49 S.2nd St) 8pm, $10, Comedians Chris Gethard & Dave Hill, music by Shellshag / Swearin’ / Black Wine, RSVP
♫ Heaven / Tennis System / Nightmare Air / Dead Leaf Echo @ Union Pool (484 Union) 8pm, $8, RSVP
*Greenpoint Earth Day 2013 Festival @ McCarren Park (766 Lorimer St) 11am-5pm, FREE, Recycle your electronic waste, eco-friendly and educational displays, health & wellness tips & demos, arts & crafts, children’s activities, live music, More Info
• Vegan Shop Up @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St) Noon-6pm, FREE, Vegan Shop-Up is NYC’s only all vegan pop-up market featuring the best small businesses around, More Info
• Public Walk Up Paddling @ Broadway Stages Boatyard (49 Ash St) Noon-4:30pm, FREE, Short Canoe & Kayak paddles in Creek, More Info
♦ 2013 Arts Happening Series: A Guest In The Cavern @ Northside Town Hall (132 Wythe Ave) 6-10pm, FREE, A multi-media installation by Jesse Gelaznik, featuring video art by Rachel Blackwell, Dirty Churches will perform Music for Mirrors, RSVP
• 5 Boros Basketball Fundraiser @American Legion 1771 (519 Leonard St) 7-11pm, $30, Great food, Live entertainment and dancing plus raffles! More Info
♫ Twin Sister / Empress Of / RElyse @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, $10,
♫ Charlie Nieland / Oh Halo / Hard Plastic Buttons @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $8, RSVP
♥ Collateral Glamage @ Legion (790 Metropolitan) 9-4am, FREE, favorite local bands and dj’s for this monthly all night dance party, rock and roll, cheap drinks! RSVP
• Roots 66 @ Coco66 (66 Greenpoint Ave) 4-11pm, DJs Autovac & Subtexture will be spinning Roots, Rockers and Rocksteady, happy hour until 8pm, RSVP
• Greenpointers Terrarium Class with Claire @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 5-7pm, $50, all supplies are provided to make a gorgeous terrarium to take home, plus a Sly Fox beer! Buy Tix
♫Marissa Nadler/Guy Blakeslee/Jozef van Wissem @Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $12, RSVP
•Bad Movie Brooklyn presents They Live @ Berry Park (4 Berry St) 8pm, FREE, a fun, totally kickass John Carpenter flick packed with social commentary that’s just as relevant today as it was in 1988, RSVP
☺Broken Comedy @ Bar Matchless (577 Manhattan Ave) 8:30pm, FREE, Tevor Noah / George Gordon / Danny Kallas / Rob O’Reilly, More Info
* Bootleg Cinema – The Great Silence w/live set by Morricone Youth @ Brooklyn Rod & Gun (59 Kent Ave) 8pm, One of the best and most unusual spaghetti Westerns ever made accompanied by a live musical performance, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
The Other Kind, We Hug Wood, Naked City, Brunchtacular,Vintage Crawl: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (4/24-4/30)
☺Big Terrific Comedy Show @ Cameo Gallery (93 No. 6th St) 8pm, FREE, Roger Hailes/Kate Berlant/Shelby Fero and Melinda Hill, More Info
♥ Planned Parenthood Dance Party @ Public Assembly (70 N.6th St) 9pm, $10, Shake your booty and raise some money for Planned Parenthood of New York City, 100 % donated, RSVP
♫ Sky White Tiger @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave.) 10pm
• Midwest Beer Night @ Barcade (388 Union Ave) Starting at 4pm, Celebrate the brewing process of the majestic Midwest, RSVP
• Victory Brewing Night[email protected] Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 6-10pm, Welcome the great Victory Brewing Company, includes a few special Craft Brewer’s Conference beers, More Info
# Yummy Eats Mexican @ Diamond Bar (43 Franklin St) 7pm, $8-10 Ala Cart, See Menu
• Repo Man @Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 8:30pm, FREE, Screen a quintessential 80s cult film, Brooklyn Vegan’s Bill Pearis hosts, drink specials, trivia, giveaways, RSVP
♫ Ice Choir / Eraas / Heavenly Beat / Tempers / Horoscope @285 Kent Ave, 8pm, $10, More Info
FRIDAY 4/26 (ARBOR DAY!)
♦ The Other Kind @ Pierogi Gallery (177 No. 9th St) Opening Reception 7-9pm, FREE, Artist Tony Fitzpatrick crafts relatively small works to hold a world of information, More Info
• Don’t Have Red in Sight @ Janet Kurnatowsky Gallery (205 Norman Ave) Opening Reception 7-9pm, new paintings by James Biederman
☺Abemixture: We Hug Wood @Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, In celebration of Arbor Day & National Hugging Day embrace the comedy of Sara Roan/Erin Lennox/Matt Ruby/Ross Hyzer/Mollie Roth/Corey Reppond and Chris Gardner, RSVP
♫ Weekend/Slander/Napoleon/Lodro @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St)8pm, RSVP
• Fake French Presents: Clinical Trials / Claire’s Diary / Boy Toy / Big Quiet @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm, RSVP
♥ Naked City w/Andy Pry + Keith Edward @ Over The Eight (594 Union Ave) 10pm-4am, FREE, Celebrate the opening of Over the Eight, dance, drink and be merry, RSVP
*2013 Brooklyn Skillshare @ Gowanus Ballroom (55 9th St, Gowanus) 9:30am-10pm, $10 (suggested donation), sample clasess: Japanese Bookbinding / Make Your Own Ricotta / 596 Acres: How to Reclaim Vacant Public Land / Intro to Juggling / Bike Mechanics 101! RSVP
#Brunchtacular @ T.B.D (224 Franklin St) Noon-3pm, $30, 10 restaurants sample dishes, vote on who serves the best brunch in Brooklyn, unlimited mimosas, supports Greenpoint Reformed Church Food Pantry! More Info
* Brooklyn Vintage Crawl +After PArty @Various locations, Noon-8pm, A Shop and Bar Hop through Williamsburg & Greenpoint More Info
♫ If These Trees Could Talk / Signal Hill / No Grave Like The Sea @ Public Assembly (70 No. 6th St) 8pm, $10, RSVP
♫ The Hairs / Olson / Rydholm / and Forester / Pale Lights / Sapphire Mansions / Calico Cat @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm
• Zaarly Bazaar @(50 No. 3rd St) 3pm, free foods, drinks, and $20 credit to use towards purchases with your favorite amazing storefront owners on Zaarly, More Info
• Cooperative Economic Exchange: Game Day @ NUTUREart (56 Bogart St) 3-6pm, Join The Brooklyn Torch and TimeBanksNYC for an afternoon of play exploring cooperative exchange, RSVP
• Greenpoint Pre-Apocalyptic Theatre Festival Preview Party @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm-12am, FREE Start the night with an ace pair of subway troubadours and fall forward into a sea of performances by brilliant local artists, More Info
# The Masters of Social Gastronomy Meet Their Sweet Tooth @ Public Assembly (70 N6th St) 7pm, FREE, Brooklyn’s had a long relationship with sugar, from Domino Sugar Factory to the Navy Yard’s love child Sweet n’ Low, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event