Happy Friday Greenpointers! It’s feeling frigid out there, but if you venture out of the apartment then you might want to visit the opening reception of the exhibition Weird Nature at Greenpoint Terminal Gallery (67 West St. #320) open from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Over at the Greenpoint Gallery (90 McGuinness Blvd) tonight from 8 p.m. to midnight, two floors of gallery space will display local art for the gallery’s first salon show of the year, along with live music.
If you couldn’t make it to the monthly Brooklyn Community Board 1 meeting last Tuesday where the local National Grid pipeline project was debated, video of the entire meeting is available here.
* CB1 Land Use Committee Meeting @ Swinging 60’S Senior Citizens Center (211 Ainslie St), 6:30 pm, FREE, Two Trees will present their plan for the buildings and park at Metropolitan Avenue on the East River to the CB1 Land Use committee, More Info *♫ The Method: Artist Development Workshop @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 630pm, FREE, bring your assets (music, video, social media) and walk you through ways you can take your career to the next level, followed by a Q&A, More Info ♫ Wale @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St) 8pm, $30, Buy Tix ^ At The Ink Well Reading Series @ WORD Brooklyn (126 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE – $20, More Info
# Re-Setting the Table: The Future of Chinese Food and Drink in America @ MOFAD Lab (62 Bayard St) 7pm, $25, explore the traditional role of food and alcohol in Chinese culture, and how social and historical circumstances have shaped the way diners encountered it, Buy Tix ☺ Everyone’s A Critic @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 730pm, $10, an improv show based on Yelp reviews, Buy Tix ♦ Stereopanorama Returns! @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $15, immerse yourself in the 1950s through incredible Midcentury 3-D photographs — taken mostly by amateurs with the Stereo Realist Camera system, Buy Tix ♫ Agnes Obel @ National Sawdust (80 N 6th St,) 730pm, $25, Buy TixContinue reading →
* Kristina Naplatarski 2020 Kickoff and Fundraiser @ Casa Publica BK (594 Union Ave), donation-based, support a Greenpoint natives’ campaign to bring effective, new leadership to the District Leader role in Assembly District 50, More Info * 94 Precinct Community Council Meeting @ St. John’s Lutheran Church (155 Milton) 7pm, FREE, Join Captain Kathleen Fahey, the 94 Precinct Community Council, and members of the 94th Precinct for their monthly public meeting, More Info ♫ Sacred Song School with Ixchel Prisma @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St. #G55) 7pm, $10 – $20 (donation), a floating comedy show, Buy Tix ☺ How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fundraising @ Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 7pm, $25, a Comedy Benefit for Emily Gallagher, Candidate for NYS Assembly, 50th District, Buy Tix
♫ The Dead South – Served Cold Tour @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave) 8pm, $25, Buy Tix ♫ Deli Girls @ Saint Vitus Bar (1120 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, with NAH, Dreamcrusher, Shawty, Ghösh, Dj Skyshaker, Buy Tix ♫ ‘NEVER BEFORE NEVER AGAIN’ @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St), 8pm, $18, improvisation-based performance artists, to cross-pollinate audiences, and to highlight the awesome and varied possibilities improvisation has to offer, Buy Tix ♫ Dream Seed featuring Fernando Lechón @ Golden Drum (97 Green St, # G1) 730pm, $25, participants are led through guided meditations and sound healing practices designed to harmonize body, mind, and spirit. Some blankets and yoga mats will be provided, Buy TixContinue reading →
This Sunday, December 15th (11AM-7PM) at The A/D/O Shop (29 Norman Ave) Super Market, stock up on gifts for the design lover in your life as well as a few things for yourself this Holiday season! The A/D/O Shop Supermarket features unique giftable objects, prints, as well as limited-edition apparel and artwork from Actual Source, The A/D/O Shop, and select vendors. There will be live screenprinting and Risograph printing throughout the day and complimentary refreshments at The Shop after 1:00 pm. RSVP! [Featured]
♦ Women’s Weekend Film Challenge Fund Raiser @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave), 730pm, $50 – $100, Celebrate the 2-year anniversary of Women’s Weekend Film Challenge with a fundraiser screening hosted by Stranger Things’ Catherine Curtin, Buy Tix ♦ THE LIGHTHOUSE @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave), 9pm, $15, two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s., Buy Tix ♦☺ Title:Point Presents: Sleeping Car Porters @ The Brick (579 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $20, a pitch black comedy that explores western masculine myth through a phantasmagoria of power, violence, and mystery, Buy Tix ☺ Funhouse Comedy @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 8pm, $5, a collective of the best stand-up comics from around the world, Buy Tix
THURSDAY 12/12 –
♦ Green Series: Film Screening: Anthropocene: The Human Epoch @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 630pm, FREE, A cinematic meditation on humanity’s massive re-engineering of the planet, RSVP * Outlaw Wrestling @ Our Lady of Mount Carmel Gym (275 N 8th St), 8pm, $25+,LAST PARTY OF THE YEAR! Buy Tix ♫ Dauwd and friends @ Magick City (37 Box St) 8pm, $10, Dauwd, Heathered Pearls, Sekou, w/ Live Visuals by Meshakai Wolf, More Info ♫ Omar Apollo @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 8pm, $20, Buy Tix
* North Brooklyn Meeting & Action Prep @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Ave) 6pm, FREE, help prepare for an upcoming local action, More Info * Brooklyn for Bernie Debate Watch Party @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 8pm, FREE, watch the fifth 2020 Democratic Primary Debate, More Info ♫ E-Town Concrete @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, $25, with Lion of Judah, Hangman, Combust, Buy Tix ♫ Debate Watch Party @ Magazine Bar (130 Franklin St), 8pm, $10+, watch the debate in Greenpoint with the Democratic Socialists of America, More Info
*♫ MUNCHIES Guide to Dinner @Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $10 -$33, a mingle and conversation with MUNCHIES culinary director plus a Q + A, and snacks, Buy Tix ☺ 35s & 45s Exhibition #9 @ Ponyboy (632 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $12.50, some amazing talent from behind the camera & undeniable skill on the turntables, More Info ♫ Emerald Quintet @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $20, feat. Stanton Moore, Scott Metzger, Robert Walter, Andy Hess & Skerik, Buy Tix ♫ A is for Apple: Ciderfest @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave), 6pm, FREE, ciders from some of the most prominent cideries from NY and the world, meet cider makers and try a sample, More Info
VENDOR CALL! Talented crafters, creators, designers, food purveyors, and small businesses … Do you have items to sell or promote? We are talking to YOU!
Apply here to be part of our Holiday Market on Sunday, December 8th (1-7pm) for a dreamy “The Nutcracker” themed festival of local shopping from a specially curated selection of indie makers at our annual Greenpointers Holiday Market! As always, we will have a full day of free fun activities and our take on the magical Land of Sweets will come alive inside the gorgeous Greenpoint Loft (67 West St)!
♫ Barba Yiorgi And The Collective Unconscious @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Magos Herrera Presents: A Tribute to João GIlberto @ National Sawdust (80 N 6 St), 730pm, $20, bossa nova classics with a multicultural crew of New York musicians, Buy Tix * Light Flow Yoga @[email protected] (31 Nassau Ave) 645pm, $17, connect breath to movement & soothing beats in this gentle Vinyasa class, Buy Tix ♫ Drum Spiral @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 730pm, $15 -$20 suggested, learn drum techniques that will help us travel more freely through soundscapes, Buy Tix
* Tidal Toast 2019: A Newtown Creek Celebration @ Broadway Stages (520 Kingsland Ave), 530pm, $75, tours of the green roof, local food and drinks, silent auction, and presentations about NCA’s innovative projects and programming, Buy Tix ♦ Steve Wasterval – Art Opening @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave), 6pm, FREE, hyper-local, handcrafted art and beer by Greenpoint Beer & Ale Co., More Info ♫ Cumbia Night @ Kingsland (269 Norman Ave) 7pm, $8, Latinx beats and music all night with accordion-based Cumbia band from the US/Mexico border, Frontera Bugalú, Buy Tix ♫ Johnny Dwyer: “The Districts” @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $5+, an unprecedented plunge into NYC’s federal court system that gives us a revelatory picture of how our justice system really works, More InfoContinue reading →
# 18th Ward Brewing Soft Opening @ 18th Ward Brewing (300 Richardson St), 4pm, FREE,More Info ♫ Salsa by the Water @ Domino Park, 6pm, FREE, lessons followed by open dance, with a live DJ, More Info ♦ Opening Art Experiments Session for Kids @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St) 3pm, FREE, children are invited to use the materials in the studio to create ideas at their own pace, RSVP ♫ Koffee @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 7pm, $35 (suggested), Buy Tix
☺ Forward Union Presents Cry Until You Laugh @ Kickstarter HQ (58 Kent St), 630pm, $10-$25 suggested, enjoy a stunning Brooklyn rooftop (thanks, Kickstarter HQ!) for a night of sadistic comedic relief, Buy Tix * Debate Watch Party w Senator Julia Salazar @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 6pm, FREE, a watch party of the third Democratic Debate More Info ♦ Taste of Iceland in New York City: “Shortfish” Screening @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave) 7pm, FREE, a film from an up-and-coming Icelandic filmmaker, More Info ♦ A Theatrical Poetry Event by Open Heart Surgery Theatre @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 6pm, $5, live music and excerpts from the US premiere of “This Is Why We Live,” opening September 19th at La MaMa, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Elgin Marbles and Psychic Lines @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More Info ☺ Limited Resources @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $10 suggested,More Info ♫ Drum Spiral @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 730pm, $15-$20 suggested, learn drum techniques that will help to travel more freely through soundscapes, More Info ♦ Surprise Great Movie – Cinema unter National @ Film Noir Cinema (122 Meserole Ave), 645pm, $12, trust the judgment of the curator, who merely promises it’ll be a movie you may not have heard of but one you’ll not easily forget, Buy Tix
* Stargazing on the Transmitter Pier @ Transmitter Park, 830pm, FREE, a tour of the world beyond the nocturnal skyline. Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the Moon are possible sightings, More Info ♫DJ Eric Umble and DJ Despina @ National Sawdust (80 N 6 St), 5pm, FREE, Happy Hour jam sessions featuring craft cocktails, drink specials and live performances, More Info * Women’s Networking Bottle Share @ Threes (113 Franklin St), 8pm, $15, Poke around in your beer fridge, find that bottle you’ve been stashing for the perfect occasion and join Hop Culture for a night of networking, learning, conversing, and (of course) drinking, Buy Tix ♫♦ Community Art Show + Dance Party @ Magick City (37 Box St), 7pm, FREE, More Info