Greenpoint’s own (and totally adorable) craft destination, Brooklyn Craft Company (165 Greenpoint Ave), is hiring for Pattern Makers and Workshop Instructors. Read more for full details on the gigs and how to apply: Continue reading
brooklyn craft company
♫ Momentum/Rite of Wed: Bodywork / Hunter Vita / Nathan Kersaint @ TBA Brooklyn (395 Wythe Ave), 6pm, FREE, More info
* Kokrobitey Institute Talk @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave), 7pm, FREE, Elise McMahon and Sekou Neblett discuss their work together in Ghana surrounding how art and design play a role in the midst of a global discourse around sustainable development, RSVP
* Kundalini Flow with Dani Katz @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $20, Exercise your body, mind, and spirit, open your channels, and live in a state of flow, RSVP
♫ Limited Resources 13 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $6, Our one year anniversary show! Featuring the soothing sounds of Chris Pitsiokos (Sax Destroyer), Tim Dahl (Bass Wrangler), and Kevin Shea (Drum Machine), More info
^ “The Woman in the Window” Book Launch @ Space Ninety 8 (98 N 6th St), 6:30pm, FREE, “The Woman in the Window” is a twisty, Hitchcockian psychological thriller about an agoraphobic woman who believes she witnessed a crime in a neighboring house, More info
☺ Branded Content Presents: PETCO @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, We’ll be wearing Louis Vuitton Leashes, serving complimentary milk bones, and presenting comedy, More info
♫ Frendzone! // Dorisburg (live) / Octo Octa / Kellam Matthews @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $10, Buy tix
♫ The Juan MacLean & Friends January Residency @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, $10, Buy tix
♫ An All Star Tribute to ACDC at Brooklyn Bowl @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $12, Buy tix Continue reading
Goldeneye Tournament, Nobody Pageant, Roller Disco Party, Pussy Power Art Show — What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (8/2–8/8)
Join Brokelyn for boozin’ and beachin’ this Saturday (August 5) @ Coney Art Walls (3050 Stillwell Ave)! Unlimited drinks for three hours, games and more summer fun than you can stuff into your Speedo! Use discount code “GREENPOINT” for $14 off tickets.
♦ SummerScreen: I Know What You Did Last Summer @ McCarren Park, 6pm, FREE, Let’s toast … to us, to our last summer of immature, adolescent decadence. Gates open at 6pm, Sammus performs at 7:30pm, and the film starts at sundown, More info
* Trivia Night @Archestratus (160 Huron St), 8pm, FREE, Categories various, beer innumerable, arancine aplenty. There will be three rounds + a lightning round, but only one epic trophy, RSVP
* Goldeneye Tournament @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 11:30pm, FREE, 4 Fresh Controllers, 8 characters, But only one Oddjob. Martinis at Happy Hour prices and $3 beers, More info
# Long Island Breweries Night @ Barcade (388 Union Ave), 4pm, FREE, Bevy of breweries for a night celebrating all things Long Island, More info
# Lust, Brains, and Taste @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $30, Titillating evening exploring how taste, smell, and all of our other senses drive attraction and desire, Buy tix
* The Mx. Nobody Pageant @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, FREE, The Nobodies are back with the second year of their signature un-pageant. Competitors throw down the Newness, Outlook, Passion, and Eeugh it takes to make us scream NOPE, More info
It’s a new year, which means it’s a good time to reset with new career goals and aspirations. If you’re handy with a needle and thread or a paintbrush, you may be in luck—Brooklyn Craft Co. (165 Greenpoint Ave.) is seeking some new instructors.
Per Brooklyn Craft Co: “If you teach crafts / DIY and you’re based in the NYC area, we want to hear from you. We are seeking paid instructors in the following subjects:
- Garment Sewing
- Painting & Art
- Loom Weaving
- Cross Stitch
- Drop Spindle Yarn Spinning
TO APPLY: Please email hello [at] brooklyncraftcompany.com with the following:
- Tell us about yourself, including your background in the area you want to teach, and online links to your current work (such as your blog, Etsy shop, Instagram, etc).
- A brief description of 1-3 workshops you would like to teach with us, including a description of what you would cover in class and the finished project students would make.”
Brooklyn Craft Company, a DIY class and event space, is hosting a Catlady Craft Night and we have a free ticket to giveaway ($95 value)! Catlady Craft Night is a big crazy cat-themed DIY party for the modern catlady (cat gents are welcome, too)! Attendees can look forward to making several cat-themed craft projects including wire cat rings, painted cat figurines, cat-shaped leather change purses, canvas totes, and needle-felted cats made from wool and — yes, they’re going there — cat fur!
You can also look forward to cocktails, music, a cat meet-and-greet hosted by Brooklyn Animal Action, where attendees can snuggle with actual cats and even adopt them if they make a love match, a raffle to benefit Brooklyn Animal Action (a portion of event proceeds benefit them as well), and the sparkling company of Brooklyn’s raddest catladies!
How to enter: In the comments below, answer the question “True or False: A cat, standing in a still position, can jump more than 3 times its own length.” Continue reading
Greenpoint Open Studios, Funky Warsaw, Oyster Festival – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (10/01–10/07)
Michael Hambouz’ “Factory Made” Artist’s Reception @ Lobby Gallery (1133 Ave of the Americas)
10/02, 6pm, FREE
Presented by the Durst Organization and chashama. For his “Factory Made” series, Greenpoint artist Michael Hambouz hand-cuts paper stock from his hometown’s French Paper Company to create vibrant, abstracted scenes of the very factory where the paper is produced. The exhibition includes 18 new large-scale works, providing a glimpse into the operations of the 140-year-old paper mill by showcasing the production process and machinery. The resulting works celebrate small manufacturing, a geographical sense of home, and the simple, elegant beauty of cut paper collage. More info
Oktoberfest @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave)
10/04 and 10/05, 12pm to 11pm
Celebrate Oktoberfest with two days of beer drinking and German food specials! Beers include Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss, and Reissdorf Kolsch. Plus bratwurst and Bavarian pretzels all weekend long! More info
Horror Movies in the Garden @ Milk & Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave)
10/07, 8pm, FREE
Watch Night of the Living Dead while sipping on some spiked hot cider. Bring a blanket & a cuddle buddy. More info.
* Craft Supply Swap @ Brooklyn Craft Co. (61 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, FREE, Clean out your craft stash and take home some new goodies, More info
* PUJA for Peace on Earth @ The Ark (107 Green St) 7pm, $20, In this ancient ritual we will use sanskrit mantra, meditation, breath, and song for the purpose of activating peace within our own beings to be shared with all beings on planet earth and beyond, More info
♫ MeanRed’s Flex @ Villain (50 North 3rd St) 8pm, $10, With Lil Silva / Waldo / Tim Vocals / Neuport / Jason Scott, Buy tix
* Newtown Creek Community Advisory Group Meeting @ LaGuardia Community College (31-10 Thomson Ave, E Building, Room E501) 6:30pm, FREE, NYS Department of Health will present on the final health assessment for Newtown Creek, give an update on the health outcomes review, and describe work to educate the public about fish consumption advisories in the creek, More info
* Trivia Night @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 6:30pm, $25, WNET celebrates the upcoming documentary Brooklyn Best with THIRTEEN-themed trivia, More info
☺ Comedy Night @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10pm, FREE, With Malwina Andruczyk / John Mahone / Brian McDonald / Alan Yaspan, RSVP
* Terrariums & Tastings @ Brooklyn Craft Co (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $70, An evening of terrarium-making sampling Brooklyn-made spirits and snacks, More info
* Chez Bushwick Presents Artists-in-Residence Two-Night Show @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave) 7:30pm, $12, Four local emerging and established choreographers: Effie Bowen, Gabrielle D’Angelo, Mei Yamanaka, Nicole Roerick, and Stuart Shungg, Buy tix
* Steady Running of the Hour Party @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 7:30pm, FREE, A reading / reception / potluck / party / salon in honor of Justin Gakuto Go’s book release, RSVP
♫ RAW: Natural Born Artists @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar (165 Banker St) 8pm, $17, A multi-faceted artistic showcase featuring local, hand-picked talent, More info Continue reading
Not sure if you’ve noticed but cats are everywhere! Big cats, little cats – they are the new spirit animal of this here Brooklyn life. It’s because they are the coolest – even cooler than hipsters. It’s nothing new; Ancient Egyptians sweat the shit out of cats, too.
Maybe we idolize them because we know if they had a choice they wouldn’t participate in our fur ball schemes. Did you see this? 500 Years ago cats were depicted wearing futuristic jetpacks in old drawings. I know my cat would NOT like a jetpack, or a tiara.
What about beards?
Another glorious cat events around town worthy of your attention (even though your cat would definitely be like, “no thanks loser – I’d rather stay home and puke on your computer cables “) – is Brooklyn Craft Company’s “Cat Lady Craft Night” on 4/5.
We chatted with Brett Bara of Bk Craft Co. about why cats are just too cool for school and everything else. Continue reading
When I met with Brooklyn Crafting Queen Brett Bara in her newly occupied sub-level HQ in Greenpoint Ave’s Pencil Factory studios, the space was empty and Brett was diligently working on her laptop, planning away, at a folding table near the space’s generous wall of windows. Despite its lack of stuff, the large venue was filled with Brett’s enthusiastic energy in anticipation of her soon to debut Brooklyn Craft Company. Continue reading