What’s Happening? (8/1-8/7) August is happening!
It’s August everyone! That means savor the rest of what’s left of the summer. Watch an outdoor movie. Get out of town. Hit the beach. Take an evening bike ride or how about a canoe paddle? Because before you know it, we’ll be snowed in. Unless this global warming thing turns NY into Florida. Fingers crossed.
* Princess Bride @ McCarren Park (Bedford & No. 12th St) 6-10pm, Free, Music by Extreme Animals / Soft Circle / PC Worship
♫ Family Band / Jennifer Castle / El Dorado @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, $8
♫ Big Black Cloud / Girls of Porn / Trabajo, Necking @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) 8pm, $7
♫ Thursday 8/2 – Monday 8/6 – Do The Reggae @ BAM (30 Lafayette Ave) Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Jamaican independence at BAMcinématek with this 14-film series dedicated to the country’s unique and widely influential musical tradition, More info
♦ Where We Are @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Opening Exhibition of paintings by Josh Goldberg, RSVP
♫ SUMMERSTARZ 2012 (for kids) @ East River State Park (North 8th St & Kent Ave) 6:30pm, FREE, music from Brooklyn Wind Symphony, screening of Kung Fu Panda 2
• Hearken: A Reading @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, an evening with Karolina Waclawiak, James Yeh, and Tobias Carroll. Three of North Brooklyn’s finest writers. Shooting from the hip, RSVP
♫ Washed Out / Chairlift / Lemonade @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 7pm, Free, All ages
♦ Summer Small Works Show & Doggy Wedding @ Greenpoint Gallery (390 McGuinness Blvd) 8pm, More info
♫ Splash / Friends / Janka Nabay / Helado Negro / Uumans @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $10, all ages
♫ Arbitration Rock Festival @ Onderdonk House (1820 Flushing Ave., Ridgewood) Noon-10pm, $10, rain or shine, Live Music: Winter Ring / Activists/Dictators / Uzuhi / Springs / Gunfight! / Katie Mullins / Bad Credit No Credit / Backwords / Not Blood Paint / PassKontrol, RSVP
♫ Warm Up w/ Jamie XX / Pearson Sound / Lemonade / Sinjin Hawke / Zora Jones @ PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC) 2pm, $15
* Open Canoe Paddle @ NBBC Boat Yard (49 Ash St) 5:30-8:45pm, $5 insurance fee, an open canoe paddle along the North Brooklyn shoreline to Bushwick Inlet, More info
♫ Miniature Tigers / French Horn Rebellion / Joywave @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N. 6th St.) 8pm, $13
* Tour “The Insalubrious Valley” with NCA Historian Mitch Waxman @ (Meet: the corner of Grand St and Morgan Ave) 11am-2pm, $20, the currently undefended border of Brooklyn and Queens, and the place where the industrial revolution actually happened, provides a dramatic and picturesque setting for this exploration. Visiting two movable bridges, the still standing remains of an early 19th century highway, and a forgotten tributary of the larger waterway, BUY TIX
♫ DIY Jam – BBALL Tournament w/ CSC Funk Band @ Cooper Park, noon, FREE, BBQ
♫ Rock-a-way Summer: Celebrating 50th Anniversary of Jamaican Independence @ Beach 96th St (Rockaway, Queens) noon-9pm, FREE, music, food, water balloon fight!
♫ Mad Decent Block Party w/ Major Lazer / Erol Aikan / Bonde Do Role / Lunice / Riff Raff / Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire & more @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Ave) 2pm, FREE
♦ Comics Jam with Michel Levesque @ Word (126 Franklin St) 3pm, Attendees will create a collaborative comic together, led by Levesque, and will discuss storytelling and the art form, RSVP jenn (at) word brooklyn.com
• Words by the Water @ East River State Park (Kent @ No. 9th St) 7pm, outdoor reading series featuring Soho Crime authors James Benn, Henry Chang, and Timothy Hallinan, More info
• 94th Precinct’s National Night Out @ 94th Precinct (Lorimer St betw. Calyer St and Meserole Ave) 6-9pm, Free food, police displays, music, fun for all!
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event