Our lips are chapped, our winter coats on, and our hearts and tummies are ready for some holiday treats and cheer – it must be time for the annual Greenpointers Holiday Market! This year, it’s going to be extra sweet: We’ll be transforming the Greenpoint Loft (67 West St) into a Winter Candyland of local vendors. Come join us and all our favorite indie Brooklyn businesses to reel in 2017 on a sugary high note Sunday, December 10th (1-7pm). RSVP here!
# Desserts of Nepal and Lebanon @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Rachana and Jeanette from The League of Kitchens will expand your dessert horizons by introducing you to sweet treats from their home countries, Nepal and Lebanon, respectively, Buy tix ♫ Ace Clark @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7pm, $15, A show full of R&B and Soul to support the release of Dia Malai’s debut project Echo Street, Buy tix ♫ Limited Resources 12 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $6, Drone night at Limited Resources. Come vibrate to some sustained tones, More info
* Wildfire & Climate Change @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, Columbia University’s Park Williams will discuss what we know on recent devastating wildfires in the United States and around the world, and their possible connections to human-caused climate change, RSVP ♫ Vinnie Moore, Gus G, Andee Blacksugar @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave), 7pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Gary Numan @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 7pm, $30, Buy tix ☺ Branded Content 6 Month Anniversary Show! (Party City) @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, Jackson Fisher and Simone Norman have spent the last 6 months traversing corporate America to learn what it truly means to #rep #that #brand. All of that is behind them now, More info ♫ FOMO Holiday House Party @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl), 10pm, FREE, RSVP Continue reading →
# Wobble Before You Gobble @ Le Fond (105 Norman Ave) Thanksgiving Eve cocktail party! Cut loose a lil’ before heading out of town. $6 aperitif specials, including house recipe Kir Royale and warm mulled wine, More info ♫ Thanksgiving Fest Trivia Night @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 8pm, FREE, Live music the whole night, trivia is free to play, and we are giving out amazing prizes to the top teams, More info ♫ Modern English w/ The Veldt @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 8pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Tiki Disco: Thanksgiving Eve | Lloydski/ Andy Pry/ Eli Escobar @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Nicky Siano’s Native New Yorker – Thanksgiving Eve & Love Tempo @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Feel The Magic on the Dance floor while the Master of Disco Soul takes you on a Journey to the beginnings of NYC Nightlife Culture, Buy tix ♫ MORE LIFE: Drake Night @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 11pm, $10, Buy tix
* TENT Ministries’ Annual Thanksgiving @ Maria Hernandez Park (92 Irving Pl), 10am, FREE, Free hot food, delicious desserts, uplifting music, free sneakers, coats, frozen turkeys, and other giveaways, and most importantly, there will be prayer and fellowship, More info ♦ ‘Clue’ on a Loop with Brandy and Board Games! @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 4pm, FREE-ish, Happy Thanksgiving, monsieurs and mademoiselles. You’re cordially invited to a day full of mystery, board games, brandy, pumpkin pie, and MURDER (as the Thanksgiving tradition goes), More info ♫ A Night of Thanks @ Cape House (2 Knickerbocker Ave), 8pm, FREE, A night of friends, celebration, music and live art. Let’s turn a tragic holiday into a celebration of friendship and recognition of camaraderie, More info Continue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
TASTE Williamsburg Greenpoint 2017 is back in its 8th year for another block-party-style event in East River State Park (90 Kent Ave), featuring tastes from over 40 of the neighborhood’s best spots, live music, demonstrations and much, much more! Greenpointers get 40% off tickets!
WEDNESDAY 9/13 ♫ Wilder Maker // Big Search // Jesse Harris @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 7pm, $10, Wilder Maker’s songs keenly observe landscapes of desire and abandon, filled with colorful characters and street revelations, Buy tix ♦ MAG Exhibition Opening Reception @ C’mon Everybody (325 Franklin Ave), 7pm, FREE, Molly Goldfarb’s is filling C’mon Everybody’s renovated gallery space for a solo show full of brand new works, More info ♫ NE-HI, Honduras, Gymshorts @ Alphaville (140 Wilson Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix
THURSDAY 9/14 ^ Ben Blum presents Ranger Games with Matt Gallagher @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE, In his final hours of leave, Alex Blum, with two fellow soldiers and two strangers, drove to a local bank in Tacoma, and committed armed robbery, More info # Pizza Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $19, Pick your toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! We have gluten-free crusts, too!, More info ♫ The Meadows Official Afterparty ft. Big Wild @ Schimanski (54 N 11th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix * Pop-up Ironing @ Brooklyn Safehouse (120 Franklin St), 9pm, FREE, Jeremy Hook is setting up a ironing board and wants to help you fix your rumpled duds. Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 9/6 * Awaken + Activate with Rockstar Shaman @ The William Vale (111 N 12th St), 7pm, $20, Join us as Alyson Charles guides a meditation, card reading & a chakra healing so you can deepen your connection to your purpose here on Earth, Buy tix ♫ Sofar Sounds @ Secret Location, 8pm, $15, An intimate concert in a secret Greenpoint location & BYOB. (use code GREENPOINTERS-5B7D8), More info * Ismay Ousten & Avery Leigh’s Night Palace @ Magick City (37 Box St), 8:30pm, FREE, A night of shimmery full moon magic with dreamy kombucha cocktails & sweet, intimate vibes, More info ♦ Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 9pm, FREE, Concert footage, concept videos and a career retrospective make up a video portrait of pop superstar Michael Jackson, More info
THURSDAY 9/7 * North Brooklyn L Train Council Candidates & Com. Partners Forum @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 6:30pm, FREE, This is your chance to ask questions and get answers about how your local leaders plan to navigate the coming shutdown, More info ♫ Goldie Awards 1st Annual DJ & Beat Battle @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 7pm, $20, Hosted by Dave East, Presented by A-Trak. Judges: Diplo, Mannie Fresh, Craze, Destructo, Just Blaze, Mija, & The Whooligan, Buy tix # Rachel Baiman & Nathan Xander @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 8/16 ♦ SummerScreen: I Know What You Did Last Summer @ McCarren Park, 6pm, FREE, Let’s toast … to us, to our last summer of immature, adolescent decadence, and to the final SummerScreen of the season, More info ♫ Big Huge, Velveteen Rabbit, Barbed Wire, Navy Gangs @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix
THURSDAY 8/17 # Burmese Food Fest @ Rangoon NoodleLab (24 St. Nicholas Ave), 5pm, FREE, More info ♦ The Russians Are Coming: Red Dawn @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 9pm, $12,Watch the classic tale of how teenagers save the world from evil Soviet forces. Because we all need a little Patrick Swayze right about now, Buy tix ♫ DJ Bone, Analog Soul, Sofia Kourtesis, M Parent @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, DJ Bone is steeped in Detroit history and is amongst the most technically accomplished techno DJs in the world, Buy tix Continue reading →
* Fight the Feed @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $10, How do you really affect change? Does marching in the street actually reach the offices of power, or do you need to get a meeting in those offices before they’ll really listen. We break down the protest memes, and get to what really makes a difference, Buy tix ♫ Bad History Month, Dust from 1000 Yrs, Yazan @ Park Church Co-Op (129 Russell St) 8pm, An intimate show of solo performances, More info ♫ Deep Space Brooklyn @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $10, Known as an adventure into future dub, spacey vibes, and abstract grooves, Deep Space features dj’s, musicians, dancers and poets who represent a breathtaking range of styles celebrating dub’s impact on so many forms of art, Buy tixContinue reading →
It’s summer, y’all (temps almost broke 90 today so we can officially say that now), which means it’s time to get your butts out there and see some live music and DJs. North Brooklyn is awash with options this year, some of them free and some of them not so free, but all of them are awesome. We’ve got rooftop parties, music festival afterparties, soul and rap legends, indie bands, pizza and tacos galore. Also, booze. Check out our roundup of this season’s seriously massive music lineup.
GOVERNORS BALL AFTER DARK | Various venues around North Brooklyn & Manhattan Governors Ball is back again this year on June 2-4, and the epic music fest is also serving up some awesome night shows too, and most of them happen to be right here in North Brooklyn. Some shows are already sold out, so either jump on some Craigslist tickets or try to snag some for the shows with tix still left! Here’s the lineup of shows in our ‘hood:
Thursday June 1: CHARLES BRADLEY @ BROOKLYN BOWL (61 Wythe Ave) // 8pm // Sold Out
Friday June 2: RÜFÜS DU SOL (DJ SET) @ SCHIMANSKI (54 N 11th St) //10pm // Sold Out MUNA @ BROOKLYN BOWL (61 Wythe Ave) // 1130pm // $20 tickets ROOSEVELT @ BROOKLYN BAZAAR (150 Greenpoint Ave) // 11:59pm // $16 tickets WELLES @ KNITTING FACTORY (361 Metropolitan Ave) // 1130pm // $12 tickets MARK RONSON X KEVIN PARKER @ OUTPUT (74 Wythe Ave) // 10pm // $15-25 tickets
Saturday June 3: THE AVALANCHES @ BROOKLYN BOWL (61 Wythe Ave) // 1130pm // Sold Out PARQUET COURTS @ VILLAIN (307 Kent Ave) // 11pm // $20 tickets ROYAL BLOOD @ WARSAW (261 Driggs Ave) // 11:59pm // Sold Out YG, CHARLI XCX & ANIK KHAN @ SCHIMANSKI (54 N 11th St) // 10pm // $25-30 tickets THE ORWELLS @ KNITTING FACTORY (361 Metropolitan Ave) // 11:59PM // $15 tickets
Monday June 5: FRANZ FERDINAND @ WARSAW (261 Driggs Ave) // 8pm // Sold Out
If you want to erase all memories of 2016 via booze, hardcore dancing and from anywhere but your couch, here’s our list of where to party in North Brooklyn this New Years Eve. From prix fixe dinners to house music legends to open bars, to champagne toasts to confetti explosions and confessionals, we’ve got you covered. Some of these events are sold out already with waiting lists, but most of them aren’t… Yet. Assemble your crew!
Good Room | 98 Meserole Ave. NYE Love Bombs, with dj’s Soul Clap, No Regular Play & Love Tempo; champagne toast at midnight and an open bar from 12-1am, balloon drop, confetti cannons and a breakfast buffet! 9pm-6am. Tickets $65 available here, more info on Facebook.
St. Vitus | 1120 Manhattan Ave. Slowly sway to post-punk emo rockers Rainer Maria, with openers Snail Mail, 8pm. $25 tickets here.
Black Flamingo | 168 Borniquen Place A Good Flocking Time: DJs and dancing from 9pm-4am, Jacques Renault, Midnight Magic, Beto Cravioto, Higgins. Tickets $15-20 here, info here.
Brooklyn Winery | 213 N 8th Street Brooklyn Winery presents an Alice In Wonderland themed party titled World of Wonder. From 9pm-1:30am, ring in 2017 in the forest of whimsy! Don your most fantastical cocktail attire and raise a glass to the end of another great year with a four and a half hour open bar, lavish antipasti spreads, and passed hors d’oeuvres. The space will be transformed into a fantastical world where reality is altered and nothing is quite as it seems. Dance the night away in a mystical forest, find surprises in every room, and capture it all in a one-of-a-kind custom photo booth! Tickets $150, here.
Brooklyn Bazaar | 150 Greenpoint Avenue From 9pm-4am Brooklyn Bazaar is hosting The Greatest New Year’s Party Ever 2017, aka F#CK 2016! As quite possibly the worst year on record, let’s destroy it like a teenage house party! Titus Andronicus, High Waisted, & Toys in Trouble will be performing live, with DJs Michael T, Dirtyfinger, Cousin Cole and more to fill out the rest of the night. Complimentary Midnight Champagne Toast with their own Ballpit Drop! Bring your worst moment of 2016 on a piece of paper, shred it in the shredder and watch your worst moment become a confetti explosion at Midnight. See-saw your troubles away, scream out your 2016 angst in our screaming high striker and play Pin the Blame on the Politician! Lose yourself in our ball pit and come dance in 3 floors of possibility and installations so you can forget 2016 and start 2017 off right. Tickets $40-$80, info hereContinue reading →