# Cook the Book: Gjelina @ Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) 6:30pm, $95, A taste of southern Califiornia to the east coast. An evening of “grain-and-vegetable centric, globally inspired cuisine” inspired by Gjelina, Buy tix ♦ RAW Brooklyn Presents: CUSP @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $22-30, 50+ local creatives showcasing talent across mediums such as visual art, photography, accessory design, fashion, performance art, hair & makeup, film & music, Buy tix =) Fuxedo: The Spring Collection @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 7pm, FREE,In fashion, one day you’re in, the next day you’re out, and the day after that you’re watching improv in the back of a bar in Brooklyn. An on-trend evening of comedy, More info
# Furmint Wine Dinner @ Cherry Point (664 Manhattan Ave), 7pm, $80, New American meet Hungarian flavors with four courses, three Furmints, and three Hungarian winemakers, RSVP ♫ Lost Boro: Beats, Raps & Threads @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, FREE, One part pop-up shop, one part rap show, equal parts dope, More info ♫ Tortoise w/ Little Black Egg & Tara Jane ONeil @ The Hall at MP (470 Driggs Ave), 7pm, $25, (le) poisson rouge presents: Tortoise w/ Little Black Egg (Georgia Hubley of Yo La Tengo) and Tara Jane O’Neil, Buy tix
• Poetry Teachers Open Mic @ Milk and Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave) 7-10pm, FREE, come and sing, dance, act, be funny, be a writer, try out new work, play music, or just hang out with some good friends, featured poets: Thomas Fucaloro and Ryan Buynak • Bike Night @ Brooklyn Brewery (70 No. 11th St) 7:30-9:30pm, FREE, kick off fundraiser/rider registration for BRAKING AIDS Ride in support of Housing Works, live entertainment, prizes, pizza, $2 drafts. Register to ride and drink FREE! RSVP • Barely Legal: Live Comedy @ The Palace (206 Nassau Ave) 9-11pm, FREE, stand-up comedy show is hosted by Natalie Shure and Lauren Vino • Emotional Rescue: Rolling Stones Party @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 11pm-3am, expect very tight pants, ironic British babbling, rooster-like dancing, a heightened sense of sexiness, freedom, and bliss, RSVP
• East Bank Music Series @ Church of The Ascension (127 Kent St) 7:30-8:45pm, $10, Music by Dimestore Dance / Ezekiel Healy / Browngrass Current • Resolve @ Brooklyn Photo One Night Only (39 Ainslie St, #3) 6-9pm, Featuring collaborative work by Alexander Porter and James George • Total Control / Raspberry Bulbs / Crazy Spirit / Survival @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $10, RSVP
• Bock Party @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) 12pm-10pm, a celebration of spring, warm weather, and strong German beer. • March Against Monsanto @ Union Square (50 E. 17th St) 1pm, the Monsanto Protection Act is a bill that recently passed that states that the Secretary of Agriculture may grant temporary deregulation status so that genetically modified organism (GMO) farmers and growers may continue the cultivation of biotech crops even as legal challenges against the safety of those crops are underway, and prevents courts from interceding the review process, RSVP • Var / Pharmakon / Anthony Naples DJ set @ The Rink (67 West St) 9pm, $10
• An Evening With Tica Douglas @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 10pm, Intimate Live Acoustic Record Release
TUESDAY 5/28 • Affordable Housing Happy Hour @ NAG (110 Kent Ave.) 5-8pm, Beers + CUP’s Affordable Housing Tool Kit = NAG Action Nite, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick ♫ Music ♥ Pheremones likely ♦ Art Event ☺ Comedy Event # Foodie Event
•Outrage:Traffic Issues in North Brooklyn @Saint Francis of Paola Church (219 Conselyea St) 6:30-9pm, Come Learn about The Illegal Truck Enforcement Task Force, A presentation by New York State Department Transportation on the Kosciuszko Bridge Project and the impacts on North Brooklyn and NYC DOT will be present to address issues of traffic in Williamsburg and Greenpoint RSVP ☺Heavy Metal Laser Plane: Comedy Show @Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 7pm, FREE, Bryson Turner/Billy Prinsell/Tim Dillion/John Anderson RSVP ♫VANS House Parties w/ New Lurk City @House of Vans (25 Franklin) 7pm, FREE, Beer and Pizza also FREE More Info ♦Poetry Teachers NYC: Open Mic @Milk and Roses(1110 Manhattan Ave)Sign up 7:30pm, FREE, Sing, dance, music, rap, comedy, poetry, or just come and be yourself! More Info ♫Little Big League/Pocket Hercules/Kerbivore/The Brooklyn What/RadKey @Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8 RSVP ♫Double King/The Suzan/Cold Fronts @ Public Assembly (70 N6th Street) 8pm, $10, RSVP ♫Heaven’s Gate/Hurricanes of Love/Buck Gooter/Dyin’ Breed[email protected] Ho_se (28 Lawton St, Bushwick) 8:30pm, $5, RSVP
THURSDAY 2/28 •Yummy Eats End of February Party @The Diamond (43 Franklin At) 7pm, Taste all kinds of fantastic snacks for $6 per plate or $20 for four plates! RSVP *Artifact Official Grand Opening Party @Artifact (155 Freeman St) 8-10pm, FREE, Come celebrate Greenpoint’s newest shop with wine from Dandelion Wine, beer from Radeberger Pilsner, Gin from Greenhook Ginsmiths with music provided by D.J.A.D.D. RSVP ♫The Monte de Rosas Band/Indian/Belle Mare/Josh Quat @Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $6 RSVP ♫Selebrities/Rush Midnight/Bowmont[email protected] Gallery (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $1o RSVP ♫Field Mouse/Napoleon/Family Photos & AK @ La Piazetta (442 Graham Ave) 9:30pm, $5 RSVP ♥Prince Klassen/Dope Shoes/rotating TTL DJs + special guests[email protected] Nova Civic Club (1271 Myrtle Ave, Bushwick) 10pm-4am RSVP
FRIDAY 3/1 ♦Born Again² / FOUNTAIN SEND-OFF @Calico Brooklyn (67 West St, #206) 7-9pm, closing party for “BORN AGAIN” and simultaneously HI-FIVE Calico as they prepare to set sail for Fountain Art Fair! RSVP ♦Nature Is Ancient: Icelandic Landscapes @The Yard (33 Nassau Ave) Opening Reception 6-9pm, FREE, Photographer Meg Wachter- inspired by the music of Björk and subsequent visit to the musician’s homeland,￼”Nature is Ancient” documents the ever-changing and hauntingly beautiful volcanic landscapes of Iceland RSVP ♫PC Worship “Beat Punk” LP release/Pop. 1280/Burning Star Core/Diamond Guardian Diffusion/Ducktails DJS @Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave, Bushwick) 8pm, FREE (donation suggested) RSVP ♫Samothrace, Howl, Pilgrim, Bezoar @Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $12 RSVP ♫Crush Distance/Sonic China Doll/Indian Rebound/Lucas Bros[email protected] Art Gallery (93 N. 6th Street) 8pm, $7 RSVP ♫Freshkills/Violent Bullshit/Chron Turbine @Union Pool(484 Union Ave) 9pm, $8 More Info *Title Goes Here//Greenpointers Dance Party @The Warsaw (261 Driggs) 10pm-2am, FREE, Get your dance on with Greenpointers and Supercrush Studio DJ’s, FREE Potato Pancake Buffet (10-11pm) and $4 Gin & Tonics! RSVP
SATURDAY 3/2 *Brooklyn Torch Trade Store @Dobbin Project Space (50-52 Dobbin Street) 2-6pm, Local currency project that provides a new paper means of exchange in North Brooklyn that circulates to support the resident community in North Brooklyn More Info •Brew N’ Chew @The Diamond (43 Franklin St) 4-6pm, $10/13, See the Swillin’ Swines duke it out with the Green Grove Brewers, your vote will decide who wins! Entry fee gets you a taste of homebrew and snack pairing from each team and the proceeds will be donated to the Greenpoint Reform Church Food Pantry More Info ♫The Bomber Jacket/Cymbals Eat Guitars/Grooms/Pretty & Nice/Maquina Supervium @Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10 RSVP ♫Octo Octa/Maria Minerva/Pharoahs/Magic Touch @285 Kent 11pm, $10 RSVP
SUNDAY 3/3 Collect-I-Bowl Record Show @Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe)11am-5pm, FREE, Over 40 vendors and thousands of rare and collectable records into one room RSVP •Stephan Pastis and Timmy Failure @Word (126 Franklin) 4pm, FREE, Bestselling author and cartoonist Stephan Pastis, introduces his first kids book, Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made, with a multimedia presentation and signing for all ages! RSVP *Sunday Supper @The Diamond (43 Franklin) 7-9pm, $40, The third installment of Greenpointers Sunday Supper! Tix ♫Beach Fossils/Chris Cohen/Divorce Money/Lodro @285 Kent 8pm, $12 RSVP
MONDAY 3/4 •Boulevard Trivia Night @Boulevard Tavern (579 Meeker) 8-10pm, FREE, Test your knowledge and win prizes More Info
TUESDAY 3/5 •Things that I have to tell you right now @Cafe Royal (195 Nassau Ave) 7-9pm, FREE, A monthly gathering of creative writers, dreamers, and other generally sensitive souls to unite and share their works with each other. Come and read, sing, show, and tell us anything you want under 10 minutes, participation optional. ☺The Trap: Comedy/Variety Show @Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 8-10pm, FREE, With performers from Comedy Central, Conan, Fallon and more! Hosted by Ashley Brooke Roberts
* Greenpointers’ Pick ♫ Music ♥ Pheremones likely ♦ Art Event ☺ Comedy Event
Thank you everyone who participated in the Greenpointers’ poetry contest!
Our winner is Athena Pappas with her poem “The Shayz Lounge.” Athena will be a featured reader at Poetry Teachers NYC’s open mic on February 27th, 2013 at Milk and Roses (1110 Manhattan Ave). Signup for the Open Mic at 7:30, show starts at 8pm.
The Shayz Lounge by Athena Papas
I want one stained
barely legible against
grainy brown paper
love letter jotted down
on the back of recycled napkin,
pack of cowboy killer cigarettes,
discounted bottle of Chianti,
a blood moon stain on the end table.
One moment of the jukebox
making me feel
the pulse of fingertips
until the record ends.