* Superfun/d Series @ Kings County Brewers Collective (381 Troutman St), 6pm, FREE, Learn about the latest happenings on our local superfund waterway: Newtown Creek. Will include a brief presentation reviewing the current state of the Creek including larger clean-up efforts and grassroots projects, More info ♫ Social Sounds feat. Johnny Petrop, Trey Nostalgia, and more! @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7:30pm, FREE, More info * Trivia Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 8pm, FREE, There will be three rounds + a lightning round, but only one epic trophy. Win Beer! Win Rice Balls! Win Cookies! More info * Blue Blood Supermoon Eclipse Experience @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave), 8:15pm, $40, Skywatchers across much of the world will receive a post holiday gift: the total lunar eclipse of a full supermoon that is also a Blue Moon, Buy tix ♫ Megg Farrell & Friends @ Skinny Dennis (152 Metropolitan Ave), 9pm, FREE, More info
# Dinners of the Past: Beefsteak @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $65, In conjunction with chef Josh Stokes and food entrepreneur Franz Aliquo, we’re bringing back this historic, stylized New York City institution of gluttony with an evening of all-you-can-eat steak & all-you-can-drink beer, Buy tix ♦ Alizé Carrère presents Adaptation: Bangladesh @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, Alizé Carrère documents her case studies in the web series Adaptation, revealing human ingenuity and resourcefulness in the face of environmental adversity, RSVP ☺ Branded Content Presents: Russell Stover @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, Celebrate of life, love, and nougat, brought to you by Russel Stover Candies, More info ♫ SYNTHICIDE // 80s to the maxx edition @ Bossa Nova Civic Club (1271 Myrtle Ave), 10pm, FREE, Fog machines & laser rays, More infoContinue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/11 ♦ Annie Novak’s Illustrations on Birds @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Ave), 6pm, FREE, Author Annie Novak’s new work explores animal migration with history, humor, curiosity, and a vibrant visual imagination, prompting the reader to look at the skies above in a new light, More info * Sacred Song School Fundraiser for Puerto Rico @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, FREE, Class dedicated to raise funds for the purchasing & distribution of food & water. We are in direct contact with a group of people who are working to supply those in need, RSVP ♫ Moses Sumney w/ Xenia Rubinos @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix
THURSDAY 10/12 * Hurricane Maria Relief Drive @ The Living Gallery BK (1094 Broadway), 4pm, FREE, Hey There Beautiful Inc, Queens of Abundance and The Trap are collaborating to support relief efforts in Puerto Rico, More info ♦ Labyrinth Coloring Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 6:45pm, $22, Each ticket includes a copy of Jim Henson’s Labyrinth Adult Coloring Book and a set of colored pencils so you can color along to the film! Buy tix ♫ OxenFree (Record Release), Vassals, The Royal They @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ BEMF Presents: DJ Marky, Reid Speed, Kellam Matthews @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix Continue reading →
Greenpoint Beer & Ale has a bigger than big Oktoberfest for Sept. 23rd through Oct. 1st! Tapping 2 super rare gravity kegs from Franconia and featuring 4 guest drafts from Munich, Mahrs Saphire Weisse, Monchshof Festbier & Ayinger Oktoberfest. Mug holding contest at 5 PM each Saturday! Come dressed in an Oktoberfest costume and receive a complimentary beer. Oktoberfest food specials include Sausages with Red Cabbage and Schnitzel. (sponsored)
WEDNESDAY 9/20 * Chuffed.org Crowdfunding for Social Causes Workshop @ New Woman Space (188 Woodpoint Rd), 6pm, $65, Get an intro to Crowdfunding & learn the secrets of what it takes to run a successful campaign on Chuffed.org, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Virgo @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, The New Moon traveling through Virgo urges us to reactivate or restore something through practicality, sensibility, and stability, Buy tix ♫ Little Gorgeous (Bee-Bop) @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info
* Bowl Hashanah: Rosh Hashanah with Rabbi Dan Ain and The Sway Machinery’s Jeremiah Lockwood @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 10am, $90, Morning services, Torah reading, Shofar blowing, prayer, meditation,& vegetarian/dairy lunch from Blue Ribbon, Buy tix ^ Where the Animals Go: Tracking Wildlife with Technology in 50 Maps and Graphics @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, “Where the Animals Go” investigates and illustrates the intersection of data technology and animal migration, revealing the natural world as never before, RSVP * Green Witch: Herbs & Ritual for the Autumnal Equinox @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St),Practice rituals in grieving what/who we have lost, in an effort to compost with love and start fresh, 7:30pm, $20, RSVP ♫ Cold Beat, War Bubble, Liberation @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $12, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 8/23 ♫ Ed Askew Band, Andrew Cedermark, New Love Crowd @ North Brooklyn Farms (320 Kent Ave), 7pm, $5, More info ☺ Brooklyn Comedy Festival, We Bee Spelling @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $10, Comedy Spelling Bee Game Show Supporting Human Rights with Alex Greer, Will Miles, Tom Cowell & Casey James Salengo, Buy tix
THURSDAY 8/24 ♫ Point Break Comes Alive! @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 6pm, $10, Point Break in all it’s ultimate glory with a live surf rock soundtrack!, Insidious Rays, Buy tix ♫ Handpan Workshop with Nadishana @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7pm, $35, Learn new techniques, rhythms, and percussion elements with Siberian virtuoso Nadishana, Buy tix ♦ Neighborhood Food Drive (Q&A with Director Jerzy Rose) @ Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave), 7:30pm, $16, (trailer), Buy tix Continue reading →
♦ SummerScreen: Donnie Darko @ McCarren Park, 6pm, FREE, 16th anniversary celebration of Donnie Darko. Gates open at 6pm, grunge-infused rockers Sharkmuffin plays the TIDAL Rising Stage at 7:30pm, and the film starts at sundown, More info # Banned Countries Dinner Series: Sudan Edition @ Franklin Guesthouse (214 Franklin St), 6:30pm, $125, Celebrate Sudanese food and culture by enjoying a family-style feast inspired by Omer Eltigani, author of the forthcoming cookbook The Sudanese Kitchen. Multiple courses, unlimited house wine and vegetarian options are available, Buy tix ♫ WHAT NOW? Sessions: The Sifer, Sakinah Iman, Paco G Train Bandit @ Terra Firma (119 Ingraham St), 8pm, $5, Fusion of the Hip Hop cypher and the Jazz jam session. Emcees bring your bars. Singers bring your melodies. Musicians bring your instruments. Everyone bring your vibe and let’s rock out, RSVP * Microdosing Workshop: Sacred Plants to Enhance Mind-Body-Spirit @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave), 8:15pm, $20, Learn how you can feel better, increase energy, improve focus, inspire creativity, balance mood, relax, sleep well, and expand awareness with sacred plant microdosing, More info
# American Food and Immigration Policy @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $20, An evening of thought-provoking discussion, followed by an informal reception featuring light refreshments from Brooklyn Brewery and Sonia Perez, a street cart vendor and member of Street Vendor Project’s Leadership Council, More info ♦ Superhero Figure Drawing @ Brooklyn Art Library (28 Frost St), 7pm, $10, Practice your cape drawing skills, with everything from pen to graphite — but leave your kryptonite at home, Buy tix * 3D VHS Festival @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $10, In the garden, the Museum of Interesting Things takes us back to a future that the past never saw coming! See excerpts from movies–not just on VHS, but 3D VHS, More info ♦ Jonathas de Andrade Presents Bodanzky and Senna’s Iracema @ Light Industry (155 Freeman St), 7:30pm, $8, Inspired by neorealism as well as the films of John Cassavetes and Jean Rouch, the directors constructed Iracema by enacting a road-movie scenario inside everyday settings, combining artifice and documentary to yield a richly atmospheric parable whose lessons still maintain a grim relevance, More info ♫ DJ Questlove Presents: Bowl Train @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 11:30pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
* Fight the Feed @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $10, How do you really affect change? Does marching in the street actually reach the offices of power, or do you need to get a meeting in those offices before they’ll really listen. We break down the protest memes, and get to what really makes a difference, Buy tix ♫ Bad History Month, Dust from 1000 Yrs, Yazan @ Park Church Co-Op (129 Russell St) 8pm, An intimate show of solo performances, More info ♫ Deep Space Brooklyn @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $10, Known as an adventure into future dub, spacey vibes, and abstract grooves, Deep Space features dj’s, musicians, dancers and poets who represent a breathtaking range of styles celebrating dub’s impact on so many forms of art, Buy tixContinue reading →
*Green Roof Tour & Lecture on Newtown Creek Ecology @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Avenue) 6pm, FREE, Enjoy the Kingsland Wildflowers green roof and learn about the benefits of green roofs for humans and wildlife, RSVP ♦ Stanisław Fijałkowski “A Young Man Plans a Voyage” @ Green Point Projects (27 Gem St) 7pm, FREE, An inaugural exhibition that examines the work of ninety-five years old Polish artist Stanislaw Fijalkowski, one of the pioneers of post-war lyrical abstraction derived from constructivism and surrealism, More info # Remedi Food Dinner Club : Flower Moon @ Magick City (37 Box St) 8pm, $20-25, Full Moon Dinner honoring this month’s Flower Moon in Scorpio! Everything served is plant-based, ethically sourced, local/organic, foraged whenevr poss, and prepared with love & ecological accountability! Buy tix =) Drop the Mike @ Threes Brewery new Outpost (113 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, Stand up comedy hosted by Kendra Cunningham, More info
# Pizza Night @ Archestratus Books + Foods (160 Huron St) 7pm, $18, Pick up to ten of twenty available toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! We have gluten-free crusts, too! RSVP ♫ The New Mastersounds (Night 1 of 3) @Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $15, Buy tix * Full Moon in Scorpio Ceremony @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave) 8pm, $20, Spring Cleaning for the Soul: The Full Moon this May is in Scorpio, ladies. Come transform collectively. Collective energy is most powerful, More infoContinue reading →
FRIDAY 4/28 *♦ Greenpoint Gallery Night #10 @ All Over Greenpoint 6pm, FREE, The historic neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn, is filled with exceptional galleries, alternative exhibition spaces, and working artists. Greenpoint Gallery Night is a voluntarily organized event happening twice a year in an effort to highlight the art scene in this unique corner of Brooklyn. More info
TUESDAY 5/2 *♦ Greenpoint Open Studios Artist Sign-Up Party @ No. 7 North (931 Manhattan Ave.) 7-10pm, FREE, Registered GOS artists and artists who sign up on the spot will receive one FREE BEER! More info
WEDNESDAY 4/26 * Lunation New Moon In Taurus: Shakti Transmission @ Golden Drum (97 Green St) 7:30pm, $25, Reset through a clear head and open heart through Kundalini as taught by Yogi Bhajan. Ground yourselves with a sacred New Moon ritual to plant your intentions that are aligned with your higher self while letting go of stagnant energy that keeps us from vibrating higher, More info *A Clockwork Orange @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, FREE, Clockwork Orange screening in the Main Ballroom! Restaurant and bar open before, during and after the movie! In an England of the future, Alex (Malcolm McDowell) and his “Droogs” spend their nights getting high at the Korova Milkbar before embarking on “a little of the old ultraviolence,”, RSVP ♫ Anni Rossi / I Am The Polish Army / Echo Moth / Jane Church @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave) 8pm, $5-7, Buy tix THURSDAY 4/27 * BettVR With Age @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave) 7pm, FREE, A virtual reality film series created to benefit the senior community. Short documentary screening as well as five interactive virtual reality stations to experience some of the VR films that comprise Kahana’s innovative project, More info ^ Jamie Brenner presents The Forever Summer with Amy Poeppel @WORD Brooklyn (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the release of Jamie Brenner’s latest novel, THE FOREVER SUMMER. Jamie Brenner will be in conversation with Amy Poeppel, author of SMALL ADMISSIONS, More info ♦ Notes from A North Korean Tour Bus @ UnionDocs (322 Union Ave) 7:30pm, $10, Matt Hulse has been traveling to and from North Korea, working as a tour guide for Beijing-based Koryo Tours. He’s been capturing his experiences on camera and also recording the soundscapes of that isolated and little-understood country, Buy tix ♦ Post-Dance 3X3: Devices @ Panoply Performance Laboratory (104 Meserole St) 8pm, Pay-what-u-can, Three movement artists perform their own work, detly disabusing us of any remaining subject-object dichotomies while distanciating, operating and defining other (non)human devisions, distances, differences and devices, More info Continue reading →
Fact: the 45th President of the United States will be sworn in tomorrow, January 20th. Here are some events happening locally to dull the pain and help you cope.
Trump, Keep Out: A Planned Parenthood Benefit | Thurs. Jan. 19 | 7pm Broken Land | 105 Franklin St Celebrate the last day of Obama’s presidency with an Inauguration Eve party! All proceeds from the bar and raffle sales during the event will be donated to Planned Parenthood. FREE. RSVP Continue reading →