If you’ve noticed a treacherous traffic signal or wished for the addition of a particular crosswalk on the streets of Greenpoint or North Williamsburg, now’s your chance to speak up. In the ongoing North Williamsburg Transportation Study, the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) is surveying the portion of Brooklyn Community District #1 that stretches north of Broadway and Flushing Avenue between Newtown Creek and the East River to boost both safety and convenience for commuters. The initiative is a response to complaints and transportation hitches as the hot neighborhood grows increasingly crowded with architectural developments and thronged with both inhabitants and visitors.
• Lab grown burger in London didn’t taste so great, and took 2 years and $325,000 to make! (NY Times)
• Bedwick: “No matter how much any reasonable person howls, real estate hustlers are always trying to think of new names for Brooklyn neighborhoods.” (Brokelyn)
• “I’m literally paid to look at beautiful girls — how hard is that?” Chat with Pumps Barback (Bedford and Bowery)
• Shine off your ice skates – rink posibly coming to McCarren Park Pool (GWAPP)
• “Operation Snow Cone” Ice Cream truck sold drug pops! (NY Post)
• Historical DUKBO – “down under the Kosciuszko Bridge onramp” (Queens Brownstoner)
• Brokleyn interviews Booklyn’s Ariana Misfelt, Maya Taylor and Aimee Lusty about the 24 hour Zine Challenge (Video)
Name Nassau & Greenpoint Ave G Stops, Smallest Wiener, Inside the Lift, Bushwick Shooting: The Hook-Up (7/22)
• Cringeworthy: MTA is talking about selling subway station names to corporations, but the names would be “accurate and help orient customers as they navigate the MTA network,” like Macy’s 34th St – to shopping of course. What would they call the G Nassaue & Greenpoint Ave stops? Polonia Nassau? The Garden G?
• This happened: Smallest Dick Contest (via Brokelyn)
• “The Peranza is an all-for-one effort, in which the common goal of moving the Giglio subsumes all class distinctions.” Inside the Giglio Lift (Greenline)
• They don’t have it for the G (not surprising) but a website predicts temps on L train platform during the recent heat wave (Bushwick Daily)
• Flickr is cool again with photo generated maps. If I remembered my password I’d login and show you a #Greenpoint map… (Animal)
• 5 shot in Bushwick on Saturday (ABCLocal)
Audubon Retweet, Free CMJ Shows, Dupont Fire, Bike Fines, 10 Towers, Graham Ave Sleaze: The Hook-Up 10/13
North Brooklyn News
• DNA Info: Williamsburg Antique Store Owner Arrested for Alleged Sexual Assault: Greenpointers had a lot to say about “this guy” Joseph Loiacono (left) on our Facebook page.
• ABC Local: Vehicle hits woman, 2 children in East Williamsburg – Neighbors literally pulled victims from underneath the crash.
• Running red lights ain’t worth it, according to Gothamist Cyclist Slapped With $1,555 In Fines During A Single Traffic Stop
• Grub Street: Greenpoint’s No Name Bar Swaps Out Ramen for Thai Fishball Noodle Soup. Food service starts at 4pm; we cannot wait to try the new menu (above).
Greenpoint Real Estate Development
In Response to Our Story “Huge Greenpoint Development Underway?”:
• Greenpointers’ upcoming show at Delinquency was listed on Brokleyn’s Your Complete Guide to Free Shows at the CMJ 2012 Music Marathon!