A year ago, we were at the beginning of a five-day intolerable heat wave. Luckily, it seems we’ll only get a handful of 90°+ days this year which means more time outside drinking frozen cocktails! Boozy slushies are a bit of a trend right now and the neighborhood is full of them. It just so happens that they’re perfect for that cooling afternoon drink or to pretend you’re actually on a tropical vacation. Here are the spots happy to put a tiny umbrella in your drink. Continue reading
I don’t know about you, but my favorite part of spring is being able to finally emerge from the dark and the cold to sit outside in the sun, preferably sipping on a nice saison and surrounded by greenery. I don’t ask for much. Luckily, Greenpoint is chock-full of great places to eat and drink outdoors, either in magical green gardens or on rooftops with stellar views. Here are a few places worth the trip.
12 Franklin Street
Good for: Gorgeous semi-panoramic rooftop views and large groups.
This Australian-themed bar features an expansive rooftop with its own bar and wooden bench tables that channel something of a summer beach vibe. Gaze across the East River to watch the sunset over the city or to ponder the Empire State Building’s color of the day. Add a Beer & Shot into the mix for $10 during happy hour, grab an Aussie burger, and you’re set.
Fact: the 45th President of the United States will be sworn in tomorrow, January 20th. Here are some events happening locally to dull the pain and help you cope.
Trump, Keep Out: A Planned Parenthood Benefit | Thurs. Jan. 19 | 7pm
Broken Land | 105 Franklin St
Celebrate the last day of Obama’s presidency with an Inauguration Eve party! All proceeds from the bar and raffle sales during the event will be donated to Planned Parenthood. FREE. RSVP
Thanks Obama Dance Party, Brooklyn Soup Takedown, Britpop Night – What’s happening, Greenpoint? (1/18–1/24)
* Starting Your Intimacy Revolution with Christine Long @ New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd) 7pm, $20, Find intimacy in new ways by cultivating closeness and connection through your work, community and self, Buy tix
♦ Olio at Idio: On Civil Disobedience, Resisting the Machine @ IDIO Gallery (976 Gran St) 7pm, $12, When a government becomes a machine that churns out injustice, it is the right and the duty of the citizen to resist the actions of that machine, to throw a spanner in its works. Talk led by Professors Michael Haltenberger and Michael Prettyman, RSVP
* Fundraiser for Oakland Ghost Ship Fire Victims @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 6pm, $10-25, Film screenings of MLK JR. WAY and Remember You’re Special. All proceeds go to benefit victims of the Oakland Ghost Ship Fire, More info
* Trump, Keep Out: A Planned Parenthood Benefit @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the last day of Obama’s presidency with an Inauguration Eve party. ALL PROCEEDS from bar and raffle sales during the event will be donated to Planned Parenthood, RSVP
* Celebrate the End of the World @ Northern Territory (12 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Drink, dance & celebrate the last night of the Obama administration #comewhatmay. Here’s to 8 years of progress and growth- you’re gonna feel like shit on Friday anyways. #thankyouobama, More info
Crank up the heat on a cold night with some of these classics. There’s a reason people have turned to these drinks to warm-up for hundreds of winters. Step out from the cold and into one of these inviting bars for a drink that will make you want to curl up in a wool blanket or break our the bubbles to celebrate the end of 2016!
251 Bushwick Ave., East Williamsburg
Hot Toddy $11, $8 at Happy Hour M-S 5-8 p.m., all night Sun.
The “best dressed” hot toddy in Brooklyn. This holiday favorite is mixed to perfection featuring the flavors of the season. Allspice Dram, pimento bitters, lemon and honey accompany Lairds & Co. Five Star Whiskey. This cocktail is sure to warm your heart. Continue reading
Greenpoint (and pretty much all of NYC) will be experiencing record breaking temps of almost 70 degrees over the next two days. It’s March, people. Are you ready to strip off those coats? Here are some of our favorite outdoor spots in Greenpoint where you can soak up some of that good ol’ Vitamin E.
Lobster Joint – 1073 Manhattan Ave.
Open from noon every day, they’ve got a lovely New Englandy open air beer garden in the back of their seafood restaurant. Grub on a lobster roll and chill out with a beer.
More hotspots after the jump… Continue reading
If there’s one thing all Greenpointers have in common it’s that we’re reaaallly struggling with the heat right now. As I sit writing this in my sweatbox railroad apartment, I’m silently cursing the giant AC unit I dragged off the street with ‘Free…Works!!’ written across it. Yep, it works, but not well enough. I’m slowly melting, and so are all of my worldly possessions.
Fortunately there’s plenty of freshly-chilled local hideouts to escape to, some of which offer that ingenious invention: the frozen cocktail. We’ve rounded up a few our faves, and it just so happens that each of our picks has outdoor space…so it’s really up to you to choose between icy AC and scorchio sunshine!
Frozen Harrison – Enid’s
Enid’s Frozen Harrison combines tequila and grapefruit with a healthy slosh of cranberry to give us the definitive Greenpoint summer drink. It’s large and refreshing, and during happy hour costs only $5…the best deal of them all! (Happy hour is daily 4-7pm and all night on Mondays.) At other times the Harrison is $9.
Poseidon’s Children, Booty Worship, and Bushwick Open Studios – What’s Happening, Greenpoint? (6/03–6/09)
^ Word Presents Bourbon Empire @ Ramona Bar (113 Franklin St) 6:30pm, FREE, Author Reid Mitenbuler will speak about his book and sign copies during happy hour, More info
* Broken Land 2-Year Anniversary @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 9pm, FREE, Featuring drink specials and DJs Jackie Roman, Zachary Lipez, and Jonathan Toubin, RSVP
There are few pleasures in life greater than rounding off the working day with a well- earned beverage at your favorite bar. And when that beverage costs next to nothing, the pleasure is even greater, which is why happy hour is pretty much always the best time of day.
We’ve rounded up a list of practically every happy hour in Greenpoint for you to work through at your leisure. From $2.50 wine at Boulevard Tavern to ‘bottomless champagne’ at Le Gamin, we reckon we’ve got everyone covered!
Key to happiness:
☺ – Extra Happy Value
★ – Food Deals
♥ – Editor’s Picks
180 West Street (At Green St.)
– $5 drafts
– $8 glass of wine
– $9 cocktail (seasonal classics)
– $12 for 6 oysters
195 Franklin Street (at Green St.)
Weekdays & Sundays 5pm-7pm
– $5 prosecco/cortada margarita/draught beer
– $7 tequila shot and 1/2 pint of beer
– $11 Boquerone & tomato toast with a vermouth & club soda
– $12 Burger and 1/2 pint of beer
159 Greenpoint Avenue (between Leonard St. and Manhattan Ave.)
– $5 craft beer pints
– $8 quartinos of organic sangiovese, pinot grigio & prosecco
– Glass of organic sangiovese, pinot grigio or prosecco with olive bowl: $9
– Glass of organic sangiovese, pinot grigio or prosecco with cheese plate: $17
– Craft beer pint & “The Original” pizza fritta: $15
* Burned out Buildings, Take Berlin, and Kicking out Money-Changers @ Parables (334 South 5th St) 7pm, $15, Learn the stories and sounds of your neighborhood, through local storytellers, musicians, and interactive art, RSVP
* Everything’s Coming Up Profits @ Spectacle Theater (124 South 3rd St) 8pm, $5, An evening of corporate ephemera with Steve Young sharing delightfully catchy, weird, and excruciatingly rare gems, More info