During the past year, there have been whispers that a Greenpoint institution would be closing. When Park Luncheonette closed its doors, those of us who’d heard the rumors held our breath, hoping that it wouldn’t be true. But the future of Bar Matchless does not look good. As far as we know, the building is in the process of being sold with the bar’s lease being up at the beginning of the new year. It is possible that they will keep the Bar Matchless dream alive by relocating. We’ve reached out to Bar Matchless for a comment, but have yet to hear back. 12/13 Update: We’ve heard back from Bar Matchless and the rumors are true. The building has been sold.
Further down Manhattan Avenue, Fresh Stop (975 Manhattan Ave) is closing its doors this week, ending another option for fresh produce north of India Street. It’s an “everything must go” situation as the building is being razed.
# Wobble Before You Gobble @ Le Fond (105 Norman Ave) Thanksgiving Eve cocktail party! Cut loose a lil’ before heading out of town. $6 aperitif specials, including house recipe Kir Royale and warm mulled wine, More info ♫ Thanksgiving Fest Trivia Night @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 8pm, FREE, Live music the whole night, trivia is free to play, and we are giving out amazing prizes to the top teams, More info ♫ Modern English w/ The Veldt @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 8pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Tiki Disco: Thanksgiving Eve | Lloydski/ Andy Pry/ Eli Escobar @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Nicky Siano’s Native New Yorker – Thanksgiving Eve & Love Tempo @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Feel The Magic on the Dance floor while the Master of Disco Soul takes you on a Journey to the beginnings of NYC Nightlife Culture, Buy tix ♫ MORE LIFE: Drake Night @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 11pm, $10, Buy tix
* TENT Ministries’ Annual Thanksgiving @ Maria Hernandez Park (92 Irving Pl), 10am, FREE, Free hot food, delicious desserts, uplifting music, free sneakers, coats, frozen turkeys, and other giveaways, and most importantly, there will be prayer and fellowship, More info ♦ ‘Clue’ on a Loop with Brandy and Board Games! @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 4pm, FREE-ish, Happy Thanksgiving, monsieurs and mademoiselles. You’re cordially invited to a day full of mystery, board games, brandy, pumpkin pie, and MURDER (as the Thanksgiving tradition goes), More info ♫ A Night of Thanks @ Cape House (2 Knickerbocker Ave), 8pm, FREE, A night of friends, celebration, music and live art. Let’s turn a tragic holiday into a celebration of friendship and recognition of camaraderie, More info Continue reading →
* ¡Pa’lante Puerto Rico! Happy hour benefit @ Mcondo Los Tacos (502 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, All proceeds raised at the bar will go to benefit front-line efforts in Puerto Rico! Every $1 raised will be multiplied and matched by $8!, More info ^ Matthew Weiner presents “Heather, the Totality” @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 6:30pm, $32, From the creator of Mad Men, “Heather, the Totality” examines power, privilege, and family and will provide fascinating fodder for the discussion between Weiner and Bailey Prize-winning novelist A.M. Homes, Buy tix * Sacred Tantric Sound Healing @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 8pm, $40, Enjoy sacred sound mantras to clear and open chakras, be present in the moment through journey via senses and connect our hearts and spirits, RSVP ♫ Canticum Interruptus? @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $8, Canticum Interr_ptus? new breeds in music and media performance, More info
# Timballo Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $18-ish, An evening of Sicilian-style timballo, (a highly theatrical savory multi-layered pie). Beer, wine & Uncouth Vermouth for sale, RSVP ♦ CPR Presents: Fall Movement Festival 2017 @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave), 7:30pm, $10, The Fall Movement series includes works-in-progress, finished pieces, and premieres of creative and unique collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, and visual artists, Buy tix ♫ The Bloody Beetroots, Rituals of Mine, Hiyawatha @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $25, Buy tix ♫ Ekstatik: A New Jack Witch Ritual Dance Party @ Tilt BK (248 McKibbin St), 10pm, FREE, Featuring dark electronic, freestyle, 90s rave, and more. Dancing is witchcraft, More info Continue reading →
* Day of the Ancestors (Dead) Celebration w/ Maestro Manuel Rufino @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 6pm, FREE, Come and make PEACE with your ancestors, heal old relationships, make peace with the ones that left before us, reprogram your DNA. Forget, forgive, let go, More info ♫ Boris w/ Mutoid Man, Endon @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $22, Buy tix ☺ Bazaar Comedy ft. Josh Johnson, Janelle James, Mookie Thompson and more! @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $8, Hosted by Mookie Thompson and featuring nationally recognized acts with no drink minimum and no absurd ticket price. This is the real deal, More info ☺ Parks and Recreation Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 9pm, FREE, Watch for things like the Snakehole lounge, breakfast food, and portraits of Hillary Clinton. Listen for mentions of “Tammy,” “Duke Silver,” and “Mouserat.” Get a BINGO and you’ll win a free drink! More info
♫ Día de Los Muertos Happy Hour and Dance Party @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 6:30pm, $50, Join Mixteca Organization for a celebration of life and the Day of the Dead. Mexican food and drinks and music by DJ Geko Jones! Proceeds will benefit Mixteca Organization’s legal and emotional health services for recently-arrived immigrants, Buy tix ♫ AVERSED/Circuitry/Dead City Crown/Animist/Suaka @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 7pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ CF25: Kicking Giant, Pacific Ocean, Bridget St John, Honeybunch @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $15, Buy tix Continue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 10/11 ♦ Annie Novak’s Illustrations on Birds @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Ave), 6pm, FREE, Author Annie Novak’s new work explores animal migration with history, humor, curiosity, and a vibrant visual imagination, prompting the reader to look at the skies above in a new light, More info * Sacred Song School Fundraiser for Puerto Rico @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, FREE, Class dedicated to raise funds for the purchasing & distribution of food & water. We are in direct contact with a group of people who are working to supply those in need, RSVP ♫ Moses Sumney w/ Xenia Rubinos @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix
THURSDAY 10/12 * Hurricane Maria Relief Drive @ The Living Gallery BK (1094 Broadway), 4pm, FREE, Hey There Beautiful Inc, Queens of Abundance and The Trap are collaborating to support relief efforts in Puerto Rico, More info ♦ Labyrinth Coloring Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 6:45pm, $22, Each ticket includes a copy of Jim Henson’s Labyrinth Adult Coloring Book and a set of colored pencils so you can color along to the film! Buy tix ♫ OxenFree (Record Release), Vassals, The Royal They @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ BEMF Presents: DJ Marky, Reid Speed, Kellam Matthews @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 9/27 ♦ Crenius Presents: The Portal @ Kinfolk Store (94 Wythe Ave), 4pm, FREE, Art Exhibition • Live Music • Good Vibes, More info ♫ Nosaj Thing / Jacques Greene, Jim-E Stack @ Warsaw (261 Driggs Ave), 8pm, $22, Buy tix * Pole of Fortune @ Velvet Brooklyn (174 Broadway), 8:30pm, $5, Watch 10 dancers put their luck to the test by spinning our wheel of 12 musical genres and dancing it out completely freestyle, More info ♫ Kings of Karaoke – Heavy Metal Karaoke @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 10pm, FREE, More info
THURSDAY 9/28 * Taste of Iceland in NYC: Cocktail Class @ Nitehawk Cinema (136 Metropolitan Ave), 5:30pm, FREE, Join Brennivin cocktail champion Kári Sigurðsson and National Reyka Vodka Brand Ambassador Trevor Schneider for an Icelandic cocktail class, More info ♫ Emarosa w/ A Lot Like Birds, Jule Vera @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, $12, Buy tix ☺ Let’s Get Physical @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 7pm, FREE, Sweet, sweaty improv with a buncha fellow gym rats followed by some even sweatier sketch comedy and stand up, More info * Miss Subways Extravaganza 2017 @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $20, In a night of performances spanning the classy, the trashy, the weird, and the whimsical, contestants will demonstrate their love, frustration, and ultimate devotion to their subway line of choice, More info Continue reading →
Greenpoint Beer & Ale has a bigger than big Oktoberfest for Sept. 23rd through Oct. 1st! Tapping 2 super rare gravity kegs from Franconia and featuring 4 guest drafts from Munich, Mahrs Saphire Weisse, Monchshof Festbier & Ayinger Oktoberfest. Mug holding contest at 5 PM each Saturday! Come dressed in an Oktoberfest costume and receive a complimentary beer. Oktoberfest food specials include Sausages with Red Cabbage and Schnitzel. (sponsored)
WEDNESDAY 9/20 * Chuffed.org Crowdfunding for Social Causes Workshop @ New Woman Space (188 Woodpoint Rd), 6pm, $65, Get an intro to Crowdfunding & learn the secrets of what it takes to run a successful campaign on Chuffed.org, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Virgo @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, The New Moon traveling through Virgo urges us to reactivate or restore something through practicality, sensibility, and stability, Buy tix ♫ Little Gorgeous (Bee-Bop) @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info
* Bowl Hashanah: Rosh Hashanah with Rabbi Dan Ain and The Sway Machinery’s Jeremiah Lockwood @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 10am, $90, Morning services, Torah reading, Shofar blowing, prayer, meditation,& vegetarian/dairy lunch from Blue Ribbon, Buy tix ^ Where the Animals Go: Tracking Wildlife with Technology in 50 Maps and Graphics @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, “Where the Animals Go” investigates and illustrates the intersection of data technology and animal migration, revealing the natural world as never before, RSVP * Green Witch: Herbs & Ritual for the Autumnal Equinox @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St),Practice rituals in grieving what/who we have lost, in an effort to compost with love and start fresh, 7:30pm, $20, RSVP ♫ Cold Beat, War Bubble, Liberation @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $12, Buy tix Continue reading →
TASTE Williamsburg Greenpoint 2017 is back in its 8th year for another block-party-style event in East River State Park (90 Kent Ave), featuring tastes from over 40 of the neighborhood’s best spots, live music, demonstrations and much, much more! Greenpointers get 40% off tickets!
WEDNESDAY 9/13 ♫ Wilder Maker // Big Search // Jesse Harris @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 7pm, $10, Wilder Maker’s songs keenly observe landscapes of desire and abandon, filled with colorful characters and street revelations, Buy tix ♦ MAG Exhibition Opening Reception @ C’mon Everybody (325 Franklin Ave), 7pm, FREE, Molly Goldfarb’s is filling C’mon Everybody’s renovated gallery space for a solo show full of brand new works, More info ♫ NE-HI, Honduras, Gymshorts @ Alphaville (140 Wilson Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix
THURSDAY 9/14 ^ Ben Blum presents Ranger Games with Matt Gallagher @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE, In his final hours of leave, Alex Blum, with two fellow soldiers and two strangers, drove to a local bank in Tacoma, and committed armed robbery, More info # Pizza Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $19, Pick your toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! We have gluten-free crusts, too!, More info ♫ The Meadows Official Afterparty ft. Big Wild @ Schimanski (54 N 11th St), 8pm, $22, Buy tix * Pop-up Ironing @ Brooklyn Safehouse (120 Franklin St), 9pm, FREE, Jeremy Hook is setting up a ironing board and wants to help you fix your rumpled duds. Continue reading →
As tends to be the case too often these days, our great neighborhood is heading toward the loss of another well-loved establishment. A victim of the rising tides of unreasonable rent, The Habitat will be closing its doors this September after almost ten years at 988 Manhattan Avenue. This cozy bar in the northern part of Greenpoint is home to a fabulous beer list, great brunch specials, and an awesome late night menu.
While all of that will be missed, there is a hole that it is leaving that many fear cannot be filled. The Habitat has on their menu “The Best Wings in Brooklyn,” and we have all been lucky enough to have them right here within our reach. With their departure in just over a month’s time, where will the hungry wing fanatics go to get their saucy fix?
Well, while the true classic might never really be topped, we rounded up seven other contenders that will do their best to warm your heart like The Best Wings in Brooklyn once did. Continue reading →