Woman Randomly Assaulted at Pulaski Bridge by Man With Wooden Cane in Greenpoint

The Pulaski Bridge staircase at McGuinness Boulevard in Greenpoint (Google Maps)

A Greenpoint woman was allegedly attacked by a stranger resulting in her receiving 16 staples to her head after she walked down the Pulaski Bridge staircase onto McGuinness Boulevard at Box Street just over two weeks ago.

The Greenpoint-based artist who wishes to remain anonymous says that she exited the staircase after returning from Long Island City at approximately 9:50 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5th, when the suspect appeared to walk past her and up the stairs to the Pulaski Bridge.

The attack allegedly occurred across the street from the Box House Hotel (Google Maps)

The suspect, described as a middle-aged man approximately 5′ 10″ tall and wearing a dark baggy hooded sweatshirt, struck the woman on her head from behind with a wooden walking cane multiple times across the street from the Box House Hotel (77 Box St.).

“I had headphones in and it was cold that night so I had my winter hood up, and I was listening to music walking home, and out of nowhere I got hit from behind on my head with the cane,” she said.

“I remember falling to the ground and I looked behind and saw him, and the second time I blacked out,” she said.

The woman awoke in a bloody haze minutes later and ran home where she and her roommates dialed 911, and an ambulance transported her to the hospital where she received 16 staples to stop the bleeding from her head, the victim said.

“I’ve been living here for five years and I’ve never felt unsafe and I’ve walked down those stairs at the Pulaski Bridge so many times,” she said.

The NYPD’s 94th Precinct is currently investigating the attack and reviewing surveillance footage for leads in identifying the suspect.

1. CQ says:

This is always one of my fears on this creepy staircase. That, and the fear of a pigeon crapping on me.

2. conquering sidewalks says:

Definitely try to avoid walking across Pulaski after 9 pm.

3. same same but different says:

10 days ago a man with a similar description, but no cane followed me down a couple of stairs on the staircase, mumbling something to me and when I didn’t respond he put his hands on my back. Fortunately, when I told him please don’t touch me in a rather loud voice he backed up. I turned around and went back up the stairs since it was better lit and there were people on the bridge. A couple of people were stopped and I suspect they were watching attentively because they sensed this was not a good situation. I am feeling lucky but a bit frightened since I walk those stairs at night all of the time.

4. same same but different says:

re-reading this – it happened on the same exact night. March 5th. Not sure if I should get in touch with anyone because I saw this man’s face.

• Just Try Helping says:

Yes, contact the 94th precinct. What do you have to lose?

• Katie k says:

You should!

• LS says:

Yes, I think you should definitely get in touch with the 94th Precinct. It never hurts to have more information.

• BKeyes says:

Yes- yes, you should get in contact with the 94th Precinct – ‭(718) 383-3879‬.

I was involved with a neighborhood “coincident” that at first I didn’t think much of. Turns out- my info was a direct lead in an on going investigation. If it turns out to be something- you help everyone.

5. Gina says:

How awful! But please, do not walk with headphones on at night. You are an immediate target.

6. Meesa says:

And don’t wear headphones or earbuds at times like 9:50 pm when you need to be especially vigilant! It’s still NYC. You have to stay street smart.

7. Karen says:

Given we have barely no L, E or G pretty much every evening now; buses running every 20min (when they show up), nowhere to wait for a bus protected from the weather – can’t there be added security for those of us in north Brooklyn using the 7 train as an alternative?