Woman Randomly Assaulted at Pulaski Bridge by Man With Wooden Cane in Greenpoint

The Pulaski Bridge staircase at McGuinness Boulevard in Greenpoint (Google Maps)

A Greenpoint woman was allegedly attacked by a stranger resulting in her receiving 16 staples to her head after she walked down the Pulaski Bridge staircase onto McGuinness Boulevard at Box Street just over two weeks ago.

The Greenpoint-based artist who wishes to remain anonymous says that she exited the staircase after returning from Long Island City at approximately 9:50 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5th, when the suspect appeared to walk past her and up the stairs to the Pulaski Bridge.

The attack allegedly occurred across the street from the Box House Hotel (Google Maps)

The suspect, described as a middle-aged man approximately 5′ 10″ tall and wearing a dark baggy hooded sweatshirt, struck the woman on her head from behind with a wooden walking cane multiple times across the street from the Box House Hotel (77 Box St.).

“I had headphones in and it was cold that night so I had my winter hood up, and I was listening to music walking home, and out of nowhere I got hit from behind on my head with the cane,” she said.

“I remember falling to the ground and I looked behind and saw him, and the second time I blacked out,” she said.

The woman awoke in a bloody haze minutes later and ran home where she and her roommates dialed 911, and an ambulance transported her to the hospital where she received 16 staples to stop the bleeding from her head, the victim said.

“I’ve been living here for five years and I’ve never felt unsafe and I’ve walked down those stairs at the Pulaski Bridge so many times,” she said.

The NYPD’s 94th Precinct is currently investigating the attack and reviewing surveillance footage for leads in identifying the suspect.

1. CQ says:

This is always one of my fears on this creepy staircase. That, and the fear of a pigeon crapping on me.

• realtalk says:

There is a homeless shelter on Clay Street. I get notices all the time about sex criminals living at the shelter’s address. Not surprised this would happen at the Box Street stairwell, sadly. There are a lot of ex-cons living right there.

2. conquering sidewalks says:

Definitely try to avoid walking across Pulaski after 9 pm.

• Karen says:

We barely have alternatives, these days!

• Maryann says:

So very late at night and not knowing anything of your surroundings would headphones is very unsafe. I still don’t understand why women don’t carry mace in their hand when they are alone at night

3. same same but different says:

10 days ago a man with a similar description, but no cane followed me down a couple of stairs on the staircase, mumbling something to me and when I didn’t respond he put his hands on my back. Fortunately, when I told him please don’t touch me in a rather loud voice he backed up. I turned around and went back up the stairs since it was better lit and there were people on the bridge. A couple of people were stopped and I suspect they were watching attentively because they sensed this was not a good situation. I am feeling lucky but a bit frightened since I walk those stairs at night all of the time.

• Novictim says:

Contact the 94th PCT!

• Maryann says:

If you carry mace or pepper spray and of course those hours of night by yourself should always be right in your hand for anyone walking by you can see if they’re still stupid enough to bother you after they see it in your hand then you just spray it and you’re safe

4. same same but different says:

re-reading this – it happened on the same exact night. March 5th. Not sure if I should get in touch with anyone because I saw this man’s face.

• Just Try Helping says:

Yes, contact the 94th precinct. What do you have to lose?

• Katie k says:

You should!

• LS says:

Yes, I think you should definitely get in touch with the 94th Precinct. It never hurts to have more information.

• Melissa says:

This is HAPPENING BECAUSE OF THE MAN SHELTER THEY PUT BEHIND THE PULASKI BRIDGE!!!!!! NOW THERE ARE VERY WEIRD AND DANGEROUS MEN WHO ARE FROM THAT SHELTER AND THEY HANG OUT BY THE BRIDGE!

• BKeyes says:

Yes- yes, you should get in contact with the 94th Precinct – ‭(718) 383-3879‬.

I was involved with a neighborhood “coincident” that at first I didn’t think much of. Turns out- my info was a direct lead in an on going investigation. If it turns out to be something- you help everyone.

• glenn ferrante says:

Please get in touch with with the precinct it would be wonderful we can catch this man who assaulted my daughter

• Maryann says:

Of course you should go so they can make a composite drawing and people can be even better aware of this lunatic… I live on McGinnis and I’ve been seeing the same guy walking around obviously looking for trouble looking in cars always wearing a hood looks light skinned and blond-haired

5. Gina says:

How awful! But please, do not walk with headphones on at night. You are an immediate target.

6. Meesa says:

And don’t wear headphones or earbuds at times like 9:50 pm when you need to be especially vigilant! It’s still NYC. You have to stay street smart.

7. Karen says:

Given we have barely no L, E or G pretty much every evening now; buses running every 20min (when they show up), nowhere to wait for a bus protected from the weather – can’t there be added security for those of us in north Brooklyn using the 7 train as an alternative?

8. Linda says:

Please contact the 94th precinct as there is an ongoing investigation on this case. It could really help prevent this from happening to someone else! Thanks!

9. Gpt-er says:

Thank our wonderful mayor. Maybe he’ll add 5 more halfway houses like the one a block away from this incident. Greenpoint had been a safe neighborhood for decades until he took her. Now you need to watch your back.

10. Jennifer R Sanchez says:

94th precinct first stop should be BRC shleter! Just sayinnnnn

11. whatnext says:

this staircase has always been a cause for concern. first off, you pretty much have to hold your breath every time you walk the middle length because its covered in urine (at best), the streetlight was not working for a long time, it’s one or two short blocks from a 200 bed homeless shelter, and its at the end of the possibly the most desolate night time block in Greenpoint (Ash, btwn McGuinness and Manhattan).