Glugg? Gloog? Glerg? “Ö” is a difficult letter for me to pronounce, so when it comes to asking for this sweetly-spiced, Scandanavian mulled wine, I sometimes simplify my request to “I’ll have some of what’s simmering in that crockpot.” While spending the winter in Stockholm a few years ago, I regularly indulged in 3 pm glögg-fikas (glögg-themed coffee breaks), 5 pm jul-glöggs (glögg-themed Christmas parties?), after-work mugs-o’-glögg (i.e. happy hour)…and so on. It seemed that my Swedish friends were exceptionally good at coming up with reasons to drink glögg— reasons bound in traditions which were justified by statements like “Because. That’s just what we do.” Hard to argue with that when you can’t even pronounce an “ö” . And in the interest of keeping with tradition, you could always count on there being a plate of crispy, crunchy pepparkakor (gingerbread cookies) at the table to nibble on as you sipped your beverage. Let’s just say is was a gluttony of glögg. Continue reading
Yes, it’s a day of thanks and eating like there is no tomorrow. Let’s not forget that Thanksgiving is also a day of indulgent wonderful glorious napping. This is the window cat at Academy Records. He can teach us a thing or two about napping, especially the hand over eye move. Sweet turkey dreams.
We are booked for Sunday, December 8, 2013 for our Annual Greenpointers Holiday Market from 1-7pm at The Greenpoint Loft (67 West St, 5th Fl)
Note: our venue has changed, but it is not far (same building) and it is bigger and better with 360 degree views of Brooklyn and the NYC Skyline and the space itself is flooded with light. Because we had to seek a new venue, the space rental price has gone up significantly. In turn our table prices have also increased. That being said, we have done our research and our rates are competitive with other markets. As always it will be the BEST local shopping market around town!
Included is a FREE Featured Vendor Post on Greenpointers.com (worth $125) for all vendors who are accepted and submit information about their business in a timely manner.
Please fill out the form on the next page: Continue reading
Here is an excerpt from an interesting article in Voices of NY about an Irishman who admires the Polish community in Greenpoint:
“…living among Poles reminds McDonagh of Ireland.
Greenpoint, similar to pre-boom inner-city Dublin, is littered with old factories, warehouse buildings and loft-spaces primed to be re-envisioned by architects and city-planners … In 2011, the Polish in Ireland superseded the British as the largest non-national community in the state. They are now part of the genetic landscape back home.
Mulchfest takes place Sat. & Sun. January 12-13th from 10am-2pm, in McCarren Park (Driggs Ave & Lorimer St) where they will chip your tree and give you a free bag of mulch!
Or you can drop if off from Wed. 1/19 – Sun. 1/13 at McGolrick Park (Driggs Ave & Monitor St) or McCarren Park (Driggs Ave & Lorimer St)
Even easier, just abandon your tree curbside for sanitation to pick-up anytime until Sat. 1/12 to be chipped and mulched.
Watch our short video below for a great way to get your tree out the
door window without making a huge mess!
Why mulch? According to the city, “all of the trees will be chipped into mulch that will be used as ground cover to nourish plantings across the City.”
Remember: remove tree stands, tinsel, lights, and ornaments from trees before dropping them off or placing them out for collection. DO NOT PLACE TREES IN PLASTIC BAGS.
Prohibition Yeah Right, Lingerie Party, Popping Pop-Ups, Affordable Art, Holiday Market Mania: What’s Happening Greenpoint? 12/5-12/9
There is so much art and pop-ups to do this weekend! For a full list of Brooklyn Holiday Market, click here.
• Repeal Anniversary Party @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 4pm, celebrate the anniversary of The end of Prohibition with $4 beers and $8 cocktails.
• Big Terrific Comedy Sandy Benefit @ Cameo Gallery (93 N. 6th St.) 8pm, $10, Max Silvestri / Gabe Liedman / Hannibal Buress / John Mulaney / Bob Powers / Brent Sullivan, RSVP
* Oral History & Public Health: The Newtown Creek Community Health and Harms Narrative @ Columbia Law School (701 Case Lounge, 7th Fl) 6-8pm, oral historian Suzanne Snider discusses the use of community-based oral history to politicize victims of environmental injustice and to establish a collaborative public health report and map, based on the testimony of long-term residents in Greenpoint and East Williamsburg and Maspeth., More info
* Private Vintage/Lingerie Sale @ (303 Kingsland Ave #3R) 6-10pm, after work private sale featuring White Dove Vintage apparel and accessories, NaïS Lingerie and wine, RSVP
• KRRB Home for the Holidays Housewarming Party @ Area 17 (99 Richardson St, 2nd Fl) 7-9pm, KRRB is building a cozy apartment in their HQ and everything is for sale. Find jewelry, furniture, home decor, of both vintage and handmade, plus cider and eggnog, RSVP♥ Congeneric @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave) Opening Reception, 7-10pm, Artwork by TFUK (Francis Christie), Proceeds donated to Rockaway Renegades for Sandy Relief
♦ Wood Sculptures by Merijn Hos @ Beginnings (110 Meserole Ave) 7-10pm, Enter a lively forest of shapes and colors, enjoy a feast of immersive sculpture and three-dimensional charm, More info
♫Sarah Neufeld, Lone Wolf, Colin Stetson, Holly Miranda @ Zebulon (258 Wythe Ave) 9pm, Free
♦ Postcards to North Brooklyn @ Arts@Renaissance (2 Kingsland Ave) a group art show to benefit St. Nicks Alliance’s, Over 100 artists have donated their vision of North Brooklyn through 4 × 6” postcards created especially for the event, More info
♦ Holiday Show @ Clay Space 1205 (1205 Manhattan Ave. Ste 2-4-1), 5-9pm, Ceramic art show, RSVP
♦ Calicornucopia @ Calico (67 West St #206) 7-10pm, an evening of wintry festivity close to 100 pieces of artwork by artists from Brooklyn and beyond, all priced at $300 or less, RSVP
♦ Booklyn Bookshop Pop-up Exhibition @ Booklyn (37 Greenpoint Ave, 4th Fl) 7-10pm, celebrating a weekend long pop-up to celebrate the holiday season and the launch of their new online store.
♦ Year Two: Postcard Exhibition, BDay & Raffle Fundraiser @ Fowler (67 West St, #216) 7-10pm, Artists from all over have sent postcard-sized works that are $80 and under, Globular Cluster performs, local raffle, RSVP
• HO HO HO & Mistletoe: Holiday Party with Self-Portrait Project @ Old Hollywood (99 Franklin St) 8-11pm, Andy Lin’s Self Portrait Project will have an Old Hollywood makeover so come dressed to impress and get your holiday photos made, RSVP
♫Gary War / Purple Pilgrims / PC Worship / Alan Watts @ Death By Audio (49 So. 2nd St) 8pm, $7
• Greenpointers Holiday Market @ From The Source (69 West St) noon-6pm, do all your local gift shopping, over 40 designers, makers and artists, DIY gift wrap, photo booth and refreshments, RSVP
• ManufactureNY X Love Us Holiday Pop-Up @ The End (13 Greenpoint Ave) noon-6pm, everything is 100% Made in the USA by local designers, RSVP
• NYC Beard & Moustache Competition @ Warsaw (261 Drigg Ave) 6:30pm, $15, Compete for best in 13 categories, like “styled mustache,” and “women’s most realistic.” Bands, belly dancers, raffle, drink specials and pierogies. Proceeds donated to local NYC MS Society chapter, Buy Tix
• Photos with Santa to benefit Badass Brooklyn Animal Rescue @ My Two Dogs Inc. (434 Manhattan Ave) 10:30am-3:30pm, $6/picture donation, raffles and prizes! Santa is back- bring your dog, your kids, the whole family and have your picture taken with Santa for a good cause, photos will be emailed.
♦ Holiday Art Auction @ (240 Broadway #303) 4-8pm, artists auction their work, silently, bids start as low as $30 bucks, all profit goes directly to the artist, Brooklyn Brewery beer!
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ SANDY BENEFIT
♦ Art Event
There are so many wonderful local artisans, designers and creators – all under one roof! Check out the roaster below and click on a vendor to find out more!
· Free Greenpointers Tote for the first 20 shoppers!
· Holiday Photobooth (manned by Rocco, Jen’s crazy Sicilian dad!)
· DIY gift wrapping station
· Bar with festive holiday drinks!
See ya on Saturday – keep it local Greenpoint!
Greenpointers is excited to announce our 2nd Annual Holiday Market on December 8, 2012 from noon-6pm at From The Source (69 West St).
We are passionate about local shopping especially during the holidays and excited to bring together over 30 Brooklyn vendors with unique handmade items so you can keep it local this holiday!
Below is a sneak peak of some of the awesome vendors! And stay tuned because Krrb.com will be putting together a full online preview of all the vendors!
Little Scappy Aprons
Long Play Coasters
♫ Sounds of Jamaica @ Secret Project Robot (389 Melrose St) 3-9pm, $4, all vinyl musical selections by Queen Majesty, Grace of Spades and Sweet V, RSVP
♫ SummerJam @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 4:20pm, $10 Afu Ra/Shea Stadium All Stars/Dope Body/Roomrunner/ Fuck Ton/Alan Watts/Ami Dang/Eleven Swords,
♫ Gunfight/Family Photos/Free Advice/Spirit Family Reunion Playing All Credence Clearwater Revival Set @ Alaska (35 Ingraham St) $5, FREE
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel Giglio Feast Begins – Thru July 16, 2012 (275 N 8th St)
♦ Cut-Up @ Storefront Bushwick (16 Wilson Ave) 6-9pm, “Cut Up” features 11 artists who shred, chop, clip, paste, and reconfigure a variety of materials to make collages, sculptures, and paintings, RSVP
♦ Modus Vivendi @ The Boiler (191 North 14th Street) 6-9pm, Nina Katchadourian, David Kramer, Jude Tallichet More info
• Raise the Roof! Farm In The Sky @ Brooklyn Fireproof (119 Ingraham St) 7pm, DIY Rooftop Farming Workshop, Drink Specials, Food, Live Music, RSVP
♫ Northern Spy Festival w/ Colin L. Orchestra/Bird Names/Guardian Alien/K Salvatore @ Death By Audio (49 S 2nd St) $7, 8pm, All Ages, Country
• Intensati in the Park @ McCarren Park, 10am, a new workout method that combines “high-energy aerobics, martial arts, yoga and strength conditioning,” along with “spoken affirmations.” Email Evangelias411 (AT) hotmail.com
♫ Lemuria/The Wild/Kudrow @ Europa (98 Meserole Ave) 6pm, $8, All ages, Pop-Punk
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event