Cruel Summer: 80s + 90s Dance Party @ The Bell House (149 7th Street), Friday 8pm
Get Into The Groove at an All Night Long dance party set to the soundtracks of the 80s and 90s with 80s anthems performed by kick-ass 10-piece cover band The Engagements, 90s hits spun by Party Like It’s 1999’s DJ Steve Reynolds, music video sing-alongs by SecretFormula, and 80s + 90s music videos from Music Video Time Machine. Just $5 in advance with promo code “Bananarama” or $10 at the door, Buy tix [Sponsored]
♫ Rodes Rollins, No Swoon @ Elsewhere Rooftop (599 Johnson Ave.), 5pm, FREE, RSVP
* Evening Cha Dao Tea Ceremony @ Anima Mundi Apothecary (35 Noble St.), 6pm, $25, buy tix ♦ Dr. Strangelove @Bushwick Inlet Park (50 Kent Ave.) 8pm, FREE, pop up movie in the park includes free popcorn! More Info ♫ Balún Record Release Party w/ Mons Vi & Tigue @ Baby’s Alright (146 Broadway), 8pm, $10-12, Buy Tix
♫ Risky Business Presents: Special Guest: Tom & Collins/Risky Crew @The Roof (74 Wythe Ave.) 5pm, FREE, More Info ^ Aliza Kelly’s The Mixology of Astrology Book Launch @ Space Ninety 8 (98 N 6th St.) 6:30pm, FREE, astrology and cosmic cocktails, RSVP # Beyond Bagels: Jewish Food and Jewish Eating @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $25-30, Buy Tix ♫ Starina @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Avenue), 8pm, FREE, More Info
♫ Acid Mama @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10om, FREE, More Info
♫ Off The Record w/ Mari.te & Taylor Shockley @ Elsewhere Rooftop (599 Johnson Ave.), 5pm, FREE w/ RSVP, RSVP
* Park Church Co-op Happy Hour, Holy Conversation @ Goldie’s (195 Nassau Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, join The Park Church Co-op for a drink and conversation, first round’s on them, More Info ♫ AMAI / PussyVision / Dominic Coles @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave.), 8pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Funk You @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
# Proudly Inauthentic: Filipino Diaspora Cooking with Dale Talde @MOFAD (62 Bayard St.) 6pm, $30, Chef Dale Talde talks about the ins and outs of Filipino American cooking through the lenses of immigration, assimilation, and labor. Taste one of his recipes. Buy Tix * Incense Making 101 @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.) 7pm, $15, Buy Tix ^ WE Talk: Travels with Elephants / Bicycling Across India @ Kween Kargo Bike Shop (79A West St.), 7pm, FREE, Mary Ann Thomas stops by as part of her cross-country road trip/storytelling tour! She is a travel nurse, bike tourist, and writer. She will speak about her experiences on the road as a brown, queer woman, More Info ♫ Dauwd with Sophia Saze @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Avenue), 10pm, FREE before midnight w/ RSVP $10-15 after, RSVP
* National Hot Dog Day @ Clinton Hall (247 Metropolitan Ave.), 11am, $7, celebrate all day with Kimchi Hot Dogs, More Info
♫ POPC Rooftop Party & Fundraiser @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Avenue), 6pm, $10, DJs til late! POPC is an arts nonprofit that aims to amplify the voices of underrepresented people and causes through arts and performance, More Info ☺ No Cool Kids @ Starr Bar (214 Starr St.), 8pm, FREE, comedy about akward youth, RSVP
♦ Titanic @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, FREE, spend the evening with Jack and Rose, RSVP ♫ Noah PC Presents A Very Bad Room Special @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, FREE, more info
♦ RU Exhibition: Scrims & Blurs @El Museo de Los Sures (120 S. 1st. St.) 6pm, FREE, a navigable pathway of paintings, drawings, sculptures, collages, photographs and partially site-specific installations, More info ♦ Disassembly : Brooklyn. Opening Celebration. @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 6:30pm, FREE, a participatory art installation that explores our obsession with technology and the untold story of the consumer electronics lifecycle, RSVP * Beauty Rituals Panel @ Anima Mundi (35 Noble St.), 6:30pm, $30, join a conversation on the meaning of “Beauty,” and explore rituals and self care. Start with a special blended Beauty Elixir tea, delve into a panel discussion, and conclude with a DIY Customizable Vegan Chap stick Class, Buy Tix ☺ Laugh Riots Comedy Showcase @ GAMBA Forest (17 Division Pl.), 7pm, $5-7, Buy Tix ♫ Fitness & Wild Moccasins, Shiffley @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 8pm, $15, Buy Tix * Stargazing on the Transmitter Pier @ Transmitter Park (2 Greenpoint Avenue.), 8:30pm, FREE, Members of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York will provide telescopes to view celestial objects in the night sky on the Transmitter Park pier, More Info
Greenpoint Open Studios (GOS) returns with more than 400 local artists, who will open up their studios to the public to showcase their works. Free and open to everyone! Visitors will have the opportunity to engage directly with artists in their own spaces, including painters, sculptors, video and installation artists, photographers, printmakers, ceramicists, designers, architects and more. This year GOS is offering several guided tours, workshops and additional fun art events all over the neighborhood. Full schedule of events (including a Launch Party at Java Studios Friday night, Wrap Party at Northern Territory Sunday night) and tour registrations can be found here. A map of all the artists’ studios can be found here.
* Extreme Cities: On Water Contamination and Urban Adaptation @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, The future of cities and their role in mitigating climate change. RSVP ^ Evergreen Review @ Bizarre Bar (12 Jefferson St.), 7pm, FREE, readings, prizes and more, More Info * War Witch: The Art of the Curse @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.), 7pm, $20, jinxes, hexes, curses and challenging the ethics of witchcraft, Buy Tix ♫ Menjuje, Rose Cologne, Purracuda @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Avenue.), 8:00pm, $7, More Info
☺Physically Bold Comedy Show @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St.), 7pm, FREE, More Info Buy Tix ♫ TEST/Bandit/Organ Dealer/Chepang/Bea$ters @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix ♫ Starina and I Am The Polish Army @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ 3 Year Anniversary: Friends b2b Family ~up and down~@ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl.), 10pm, FREE, Black Flamingo’s celebrating its 3 year anniversary, RSVP Continue reading →
Ramen, once associated with the easy-to-cook dorm room staple Cup Noodles is now synonymous with hip Japanese food culture and can be found in cities across the globe. The ramen-only restaurant is now a viable business, and ramen can even launch empires (Momofuku, anyone?). If you haven’t tried ramen in a restaurant yet, the variety, not to mention the size, will blow away that old styrofoam cup.
So where’s the ramen in Greenpoint? If you look far and wide, you’ll see ramen is on the menu and more ramen-focused shops are a-coming. Find out all the places you can sit or stand and slurp that soothing soup after the jump. Continue reading →
For just $1 get a ride to nearby subway stations to/from Greenpoint with Via, an on-demand ridesharing app!! Download the app here and set your pick up or drop-off location by moving the pin on the map to the locations for any of the following train stations:
^ Tables of Contents Reading Series: Hunt! Gerrard! Caldwell! @Egg (109 North 3rd St), 7pm, $5, Each reading will be paired with snacks inspired by its text, plus you’ll be in for an author-curated playlist and a rangy Q&A/discussion on writing, craft, aversion, and creativity to wrap up the night. Beer and wine will be available for purchase, and WORD will be present slinging text, More info ☺ Ladies Who Ranch @ Vital Joint (109 Meserole St), 8pm, $5-10, Group of women does jokes for laughs at comedy show to change the national conversation. The show is followed by the Ladies Who Ranch Open Mic, an experimental comedy mic that especially encourages multimedia performances, More info ♫# Live Flamenco in St Charles Cellar @St. Mazie Bar (345 Grand St), 8pm, FREE, A night of authentic Flamenco in our beautiful speakeasy. Full dinner menu available as well as a 3 course Pre fixe menu, cocktails, absinthe and more… Ole!, More info ♫ Carte Blanche @Radegast Hall (113 N 3rd St), 9pm, FREE,French, Latin and American tunes while you sample the incredible selection of authentic german beers on tap and maybe have a giant german pretzel or bratwurst from the grill!! Space to dance!, More info
* Kombrewcha’s International Women’s Day Celebration @ The Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave), 6:00pm, $3, Boss Ladies doing big things. We’ll be hosting a panel on Women Who Do. Buy tix * NYC DRAFT Meetup @ PencilWorks (61 Greenpoint Ave), 6:30pm, FREE, Fast-paced hour of ideas, entrepreneurs and bikes, capturing the exciting things happening in the bike industry, RSVP ♫ ♦ Art on the Airwaves @ Union Docs (322 Union Avenue), 7:30 pm, $10, A showcase of radio documentary selected by James T. Green, cofounder of Postloudness, a collective of independent audio shows by people of color, women, and queer-identified hosts that aims to create a community of unique voices in audio. Buy tix ♫ Anna McClellan (Record Release), Navy Gangs @ ALPHAVILLE (140 Wilson Avenue), 10pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Mughal Legion 3 Ft. Fanaa @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Part 3 of a monthly-ish series of musical rites to be performed at Legion Bar, curated by Mughal Muesli. More info Continue reading →
* F-Valentine’s Day! @ Bushwick Country Club (618 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, Free BBQ! Free raffles! Come drink with us on “singles awareness day,” More info ♫ Queers <3 Covers – Valentine’s Day Punk Cover Show @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave), 7:30pm, $7 – $10, Come celebrate the love that will never leave you, music, with a night of cover bands. All proceeds donated to Direct Relief for Puerto Rico, More info ♫ Valentines Village of Love Show & Dance for Planned Parenthood! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 7pm, $25, More info ♫ Deep Space Love Night | DJ Spinna b2b François K. @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Deep Space celebrates Valentine’s Day with a special night celebrating love, by any definition, with DJ Spinna back-to-back with Francois K. all night, Buy tix
^ John Yau & Barry Schwabsky @ Spoonbill Studio (99 Montrose Ave), 7pm, FREE, John presents “The Wild Children of William Blake” and Barry presents “Heretics of Language,” More info ♫ Show with Van Goose, Violets are Wet, Petal Crush @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 8pm, $10, More info ♫ ShowYourNice X ONLY WAVE ENT Present Antics & Fiends @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8:30pm, $7, More info ☺ Call Your Dad: Bitcoin, Cash and Wallstreet Baby @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Money Money Money Money. Bit Coin Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Neoliberal. Cash cash captialism, big buildings fast cars money and cars. 80s, 08, 2015-2018. Satire? No-tire, More infoContinue reading →
Flip Cupid the bird and celebrate singledom at the skint’s Third Annual “It’s Friday, I’m (Not) in Love” Anti-Valentine’s Party on Friday, February 9th at littlefield (635 Sackett St).
Hug yourself and sway as the aptly-named DJ Gordon Gloom (Feeling Gloomy, YDH2S) spins songs of heartache and desire from the 80s to today. Purge your emotional baggage with our cleansing anti-love ritual. Use our photo booth to show the world (and your exes) how much better you’re doing on your own. Lubricate yourself with themed drink specials.
Dress in black. All black. Only black. Creativity will be rewarded. $7 in advance, $10 at the door. Buy tix[sponsored]
^ Author Talk: Thomas Werner “The Fashion Image” @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave), 6:30pm, FREE, Acclaimed curator, former owner of Thomas Werner Gallery, Photography Program Director at Parsons School of Design, and Editor-at-Large of Paris-based IRK magazine, Werner shares his insight into the fashion design process, More info ♫ The Warhawks // The Nuclears // Not Amused // Edna @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7:30pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Dervisi @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Bittersweet melodies of passion and hashish from the old-time Greek Rembetika underworld, More info ☺ Limited Resources 14 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $6, Featuring Guillermo Pizarro (Philly), Richard Kamerman, Sandy Ewen, & Chris LiButti, More info
# Scandinavian Spirits @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $30, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Iceland share a spirited history of drinking traditions—most notably around aquavit. Learn about the world of Scandinavian spirits and the traditions that have grown up around them, Buy tix ♫ Girlpool @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 8pm, $18, Buy tix # Same Same But Different @ Magick City (37 Box St), 7pm, $40, We are collaborating on a Cambo-Chino mashup of scents, flavors, and traditions to celebrate two distinct cultures that share the same passion for family, fun, and good food. (And pickled things.), Buy tix ♫ Whitney Fierce x Elle Dee @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, FREE/$10, More infoContinue reading →
♫ Christmas Hymn Sing @ St. John’s Luthern Church (155 Milton St), 7pm, FREE, Everyone is invited to come sing our favorite Christmas hymns. All levels of ability are welcome, More info ♫ A Night of Poems and Songs @ Wayward Social (35 Ingraham St), 7:30pm, FREE, 40-minute sets of musical performance, followed by a 15-minutes set of poetry, and a short intermission before we begin again, More info ☺ RoFl8 Comedy Night @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info ♫ Hard Pass, Freezing Cold, Faith/Void, Chubbybunny @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8pm, $8, More info ♫ House of Vogue @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave), 11pm, $10, MikeQ and his Qween Beat collective always bring the heat. Categories: Naughty (Runway), Nice (Performance), and a Surprise Category, Buy tix
* Winter Solstice Silent Yoga @ McCarren Play Center (776 Lorimer St), 7pm, FREE, This wonderful class will begin with an open meditation then move into a long vinyasa. Class will use “Sound Off” wireless glowing headphones, RSVP * Winter Solstice Restorative Yoga with Live Sitar @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, $20, A restorative yoga practice during the New Moon and Vata phase of the lunar cycle is best for balancing an overworked mind, hormones, emotions and energy, RSVP ♫ Teenagers in Love: An All-Vinyl Night of Doowop and Early Soul @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 9pm, FREE, Grab your sweetheart to keep you warm and head over for a special 45RPM-only set of doo-wop tunes and early soul, rock, and pop music, spun by your friend, Christian Storm, More info ♫ Clocking In | Billy Kenny @ The Panther Room (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix ♫ Low Key ft. Machine Girl, Neybuu, Hunni’d Jaws + Low Key DJz @ El Cortez (17 Ingraham St), 11pm, FREE, More info Continue reading →
# Wobble Before You Gobble @ Le Fond (105 Norman Ave) Thanksgiving Eve cocktail party! Cut loose a lil’ before heading out of town. $6 aperitif specials, including house recipe Kir Royale and warm mulled wine, More info ♫ Thanksgiving Fest Trivia Night @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 8pm, FREE, Live music the whole night, trivia is free to play, and we are giving out amazing prizes to the top teams, More info ♫ Modern English w/ The Veldt @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 8pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Tiki Disco: Thanksgiving Eve | Lloydski/ Andy Pry/ Eli Escobar @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Nicky Siano’s Native New Yorker – Thanksgiving Eve & Love Tempo @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Feel The Magic on the Dance floor while the Master of Disco Soul takes you on a Journey to the beginnings of NYC Nightlife Culture, Buy tix ♫ MORE LIFE: Drake Night @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 11pm, $10, Buy tix
* TENT Ministries’ Annual Thanksgiving @ Maria Hernandez Park (92 Irving Pl), 10am, FREE, Free hot food, delicious desserts, uplifting music, free sneakers, coats, frozen turkeys, and other giveaways, and most importantly, there will be prayer and fellowship, More info ♦ ‘Clue’ on a Loop with Brandy and Board Games! @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 4pm, FREE-ish, Happy Thanksgiving, monsieurs and mademoiselles. You’re cordially invited to a day full of mystery, board games, brandy, pumpkin pie, and MURDER (as the Thanksgiving tradition goes), More info ♫ A Night of Thanks @ Cape House (2 Knickerbocker Ave), 8pm, FREE, A night of friends, celebration, music and live art. Let’s turn a tragic holiday into a celebration of friendship and recognition of camaraderie, More info Continue reading →