* F-Valentine’s Day! @ Bushwick Country Club (618 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, Free BBQ! Free raffles! Come drink with us on “singles awareness day,” More info ♫ Queers <3 Covers – Valentine’s Day Punk Cover Show @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave), 7:30pm, $7 – $10, Come celebrate the love that will never leave you, music, with a night of cover bands. All proceeds donated to Direct Relief for Puerto Rico, More info ♫ Valentines Village of Love Show & Dance for Planned Parenthood! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 7pm, $25, More info ♫ Deep Space Love Night | DJ Spinna b2b François K. @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Deep Space celebrates Valentine’s Day with a special night celebrating love, by any definition, with DJ Spinna back-to-back with Francois K. all night, Buy tix
^ John Yau & Barry Schwabsky @ Spoonbill Studio (99 Montrose Ave), 7pm, FREE, John presents “The Wild Children of William Blake” and Barry presents “Heretics of Language,” More info ♫ Show with Van Goose, Violets are Wet, Petal Crush @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 8pm, $10, More info ♫ ShowYourNice X ONLY WAVE ENT Present Antics & Fiends @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8:30pm, $7, More info ☺ Call Your Dad: Bitcoin, Cash and Wallstreet Baby @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Money Money Money Money. Bit Coin Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Neoliberal. Cash cash captialism, big buildings fast cars money and cars. 80s, 08, 2015-2018. Satire? No-tire, More infoContinue reading →
Flip Cupid the bird and celebrate singledom at the skint’s Third Annual “It’s Friday, I’m (Not) in Love” Anti-Valentine’s Party on Friday, February 9th at littlefield (635 Sackett St).
Hug yourself and sway as the aptly-named DJ Gordon Gloom (Feeling Gloomy, YDH2S) spins songs of heartache and desire from the 80s to today. Purge your emotional baggage with our cleansing anti-love ritual. Use our photo booth to show the world (and your exes) how much better you’re doing on your own. Lubricate yourself with themed drink specials.
Dress in black. All black. Only black. Creativity will be rewarded. $7 in advance, $10 at the door. Buy tix[sponsored]
^ Author Talk: Thomas Werner “The Fashion Image” @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave), 6:30pm, FREE, Acclaimed curator, former owner of Thomas Werner Gallery, Photography Program Director at Parsons School of Design, and Editor-at-Large of Paris-based IRK magazine, Werner shares his insight into the fashion design process, More info ♫ The Warhawks // The Nuclears // Not Amused // Edna @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7:30pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Dervisi @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Bittersweet melodies of passion and hashish from the old-time Greek Rembetika underworld, More info ☺ Limited Resources 14 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $6, Featuring Guillermo Pizarro (Philly), Richard Kamerman, Sandy Ewen, & Chris LiButti, More info
# Scandinavian Spirits @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $30, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Iceland share a spirited history of drinking traditions—most notably around aquavit. Learn about the world of Scandinavian spirits and the traditions that have grown up around them, Buy tix ♫ Girlpool @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St), 8pm, $18, Buy tix # Same Same But Different @ Magick City (37 Box St), 7pm, $40, We are collaborating on a Cambo-Chino mashup of scents, flavors, and traditions to celebrate two distinct cultures that share the same passion for family, fun, and good food. (And pickled things.), Buy tix ♫ Whitney Fierce x Elle Dee @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, FREE/$10, More infoContinue reading →
♫ Christmas Hymn Sing @ St. John’s Luthern Church (155 Milton St), 7pm, FREE, Everyone is invited to come sing our favorite Christmas hymns. All levels of ability are welcome, More info ♫ A Night of Poems and Songs @ Wayward Social (35 Ingraham St), 7:30pm, FREE, 40-minute sets of musical performance, followed by a 15-minutes set of poetry, and a short intermission before we begin again, More info ☺ RoFl8 Comedy Night @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info ♫ Hard Pass, Freezing Cold, Faith/Void, Chubbybunny @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8pm, $8, More info ♫ House of Vogue @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave), 11pm, $10, MikeQ and his Qween Beat collective always bring the heat. Categories: Naughty (Runway), Nice (Performance), and a Surprise Category, Buy tix
* Winter Solstice Silent Yoga @ McCarren Play Center (776 Lorimer St), 7pm, FREE, This wonderful class will begin with an open meditation then move into a long vinyasa. Class will use “Sound Off” wireless glowing headphones, RSVP * Winter Solstice Restorative Yoga with Live Sitar @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, $20, A restorative yoga practice during the New Moon and Vata phase of the lunar cycle is best for balancing an overworked mind, hormones, emotions and energy, RSVP ♫ Teenagers in Love: An All-Vinyl Night of Doowop and Early Soul @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 9pm, FREE, Grab your sweetheart to keep you warm and head over for a special 45RPM-only set of doo-wop tunes and early soul, rock, and pop music, spun by your friend, Christian Storm, More info ♫ Clocking In | Billy Kenny @ The Panther Room (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix ♫ Low Key ft. Machine Girl, Neybuu, Hunni’d Jaws + Low Key DJz @ El Cortez (17 Ingraham St), 11pm, FREE, More info Continue reading →
# Wobble Before You Gobble @ Le Fond (105 Norman Ave) Thanksgiving Eve cocktail party! Cut loose a lil’ before heading out of town. $6 aperitif specials, including house recipe Kir Royale and warm mulled wine, More info ♫ Thanksgiving Fest Trivia Night @ The Well (272 Meserole St), 8pm, FREE, Live music the whole night, trivia is free to play, and we are giving out amazing prizes to the top teams, More info ♫ Modern English w/ The Veldt @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St), 8pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Tiki Disco: Thanksgiving Eve | Lloydski/ Andy Pry/ Eli Escobar @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Nicky Siano’s Native New Yorker – Thanksgiving Eve & Love Tempo @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $15, Feel The Magic on the Dance floor while the Master of Disco Soul takes you on a Journey to the beginnings of NYC Nightlife Culture, Buy tix ♫ MORE LIFE: Drake Night @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 11pm, $10, Buy tix
* TENT Ministries’ Annual Thanksgiving @ Maria Hernandez Park (92 Irving Pl), 10am, FREE, Free hot food, delicious desserts, uplifting music, free sneakers, coats, frozen turkeys, and other giveaways, and most importantly, there will be prayer and fellowship, More info ♦ ‘Clue’ on a Loop with Brandy and Board Games! @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave), 4pm, FREE-ish, Happy Thanksgiving, monsieurs and mademoiselles. You’re cordially invited to a day full of mystery, board games, brandy, pumpkin pie, and MURDER (as the Thanksgiving tradition goes), More info ♫ A Night of Thanks @ Cape House (2 Knickerbocker Ave), 8pm, FREE, A night of friends, celebration, music and live art. Let’s turn a tragic holiday into a celebration of friendship and recognition of camaraderie, More info Continue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
Greenpoint Beer & Ale has a bigger than big Oktoberfest for Sept. 23rd through Oct. 1st! Tapping 2 super rare gravity kegs from Franconia and featuring 4 guest drafts from Munich, Mahrs Saphire Weisse, Monchshof Festbier & Ayinger Oktoberfest. Mug holding contest at 5 PM each Saturday! Come dressed in an Oktoberfest costume and receive a complimentary beer. Oktoberfest food specials include Sausages with Red Cabbage and Schnitzel. (sponsored)
WEDNESDAY 9/20 * Chuffed.org Crowdfunding for Social Causes Workshop @ New Woman Space (188 Woodpoint Rd), 6pm, $65, Get an intro to Crowdfunding & learn the secrets of what it takes to run a successful campaign on Chuffed.org, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Virgo @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, The New Moon traveling through Virgo urges us to reactivate or restore something through practicality, sensibility, and stability, Buy tix ♫ Little Gorgeous (Bee-Bop) @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info
* Bowl Hashanah: Rosh Hashanah with Rabbi Dan Ain and The Sway Machinery’s Jeremiah Lockwood @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 10am, $90, Morning services, Torah reading, Shofar blowing, prayer, meditation,& vegetarian/dairy lunch from Blue Ribbon, Buy tix ^ Where the Animals Go: Tracking Wildlife with Technology in 50 Maps and Graphics @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, “Where the Animals Go” investigates and illustrates the intersection of data technology and animal migration, revealing the natural world as never before, RSVP * Green Witch: Herbs & Ritual for the Autumnal Equinox @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St),Practice rituals in grieving what/who we have lost, in an effort to compost with love and start fresh, 7:30pm, $20, RSVP ♫ Cold Beat, War Bubble, Liberation @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $12, Buy tix Continue reading →
WEDNESDAY 8/30 ♫ Action Bronson Live + Signing @ Rough Trade NYC (64 N 9th St), 6:30pm, Album Pre-order, Action Bronson plays a Rough Trade in-store with signing after in support of his new album Blue Chips 7000, More info ♫ Lime Rickey International / Sana Nagano @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info
THURSDAY 8/31 # Exclusive Beer Launch: Rye Score! @ Barcade (388 Union Ave), 4pm, FREE, Celebrate the release of our Victory Brewing collaboration, Rye Score!, a German style Hefeweizen brewed with rye malt, More info ♫ Cory Wade, Sateen @ Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $15, Cory Wade from America’s Next Top Model releases the first single off of his debut pop driven with a soul influence album, Buy tix # A Persian-Inspired Evening with Soli Zardosht @ Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St), 7pm, $125, Soli’s Persian-inspired menu will showcase modern flavors from the Middle East and beyond, Buy tix Continue reading →
It’s hard getting to the beginning of anything, but with Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave) in Greenpoint, it might help to keep in mind a street sign in Kansas City: Troost Ave. “I just liked the way it looked,” the owner, John Ortiz says, one evening during a sit down at Goldie’s, on what we both agree is the “other side” of Greenpoint. Troost opened its doors in 2011. It started as a café, beer and wine bar. But it’s grown since then to include a full bar and live music. But John is specific. It is “not a music venue. It’s a bar that has music.” It having music occupies a lot of the conversation.
“It’s interesting,” he says, “to see artists respond when you put limitations on them.” The limitations are familiar to anyone who attends shows or is a musician in New York. They come down to two things: noise and space. “It’s almost always worked out. One or two cases, maybe.” One aspect that keeps things going is a good relationship with the neighbors. “They all have my number. They’re great. Sometimes I get a text saying, ‘hey, last night was a little loud,’ but for the most part, the relationship is really good.” Another is just figuring out who could and should play. Who does the approaching? “It’s pretty much word of mouth, musicians putting me in touch with other musicians,” he says. Continue reading →
*Green Roof Tour & Lecture on Newtown Creek Ecology @ Kingsland Wildflowers (520 Kingsland Avenue) 6pm, FREE, Enjoy the Kingsland Wildflowers green roof and learn about the benefits of green roofs for humans and wildlife, RSVP ♦ Stanisław Fijałkowski “A Young Man Plans a Voyage” @ Green Point Projects (27 Gem St) 7pm, FREE, An inaugural exhibition that examines the work of ninety-five years old Polish artist Stanislaw Fijalkowski, one of the pioneers of post-war lyrical abstraction derived from constructivism and surrealism, More info # Remedi Food Dinner Club : Flower Moon @ Magick City (37 Box St) 8pm, $20-25, Full Moon Dinner honoring this month’s Flower Moon in Scorpio! Everything served is plant-based, ethically sourced, local/organic, foraged whenevr poss, and prepared with love & ecological accountability! Buy tix =) Drop the Mike @ Threes Brewery new Outpost (113 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, Stand up comedy hosted by Kendra Cunningham, More info
# Pizza Night @ Archestratus Books + Foods (160 Huron St) 7pm, $18, Pick up to ten of twenty available toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! We have gluten-free crusts, too! RSVP ♫ The New Mastersounds (Night 1 of 3) @Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $15, Buy tix * Full Moon in Scorpio Ceremony @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave) 8pm, $20, Spring Cleaning for the Soul: The Full Moon this May is in Scorpio, ladies. Come transform collectively. Collective energy is most powerful, More infoContinue reading →
This month, Mercury retrograde ends (finally!) and we get a Scorpio full moon, which means we are alive and energized–especially with our emotions. This month is all about change and listening to your body, so you know, be prepared. Change, even positive, can be hard to deal with.