links ©JAMES CORNER FIELD OPERATIONS
• It’s as disgusting as it sounds…
rat mites (NY Times)
• Do you think it’s total BS that
North Brooklyn processes a huge amount of the city’s trash? New legislation might change that (NY Environmental Report)
• If you have a spare room, why not
get rich with AirBnB like your fellow North Brooklynites? (DNAinfo)
• It may not protect us from crowded G trains, but
Greenpoint Landing is bringing a park that promises to protect Greenpoint from storm surge with oyster beds and public access to the river edge (Daily News) Artwork by Tamara Garvey
Apparently nail art is high art these days. (
Blouin Art Info)
Bridges And Powerlines, have a new song called “ Greenpoint”
CSAs for Art. The business model works great for squash and peaches, but sculptures? (
The L Magazine)
Greenpoint girls are voluntarily getting hypnotized. (
Bedford & Bowery)
Developers are creating “
Poor Doors” for the affordable housing segments of the abominable waterfront properties planned in our neighborhood.
Joe Lentol is proposing
stiffer sentencing for home invaders.
And finally, people are having really nice weddings inside abandoned-looking Greenpoint
warehouses. Artwork by Tamara Garvey
• If you have $3.75 million – you can buy
this Greenpoint Condo on West St (Brownstoner)
• Kicking us while we’re down, the Brooklyn Magazine reported on a poll that ranked Greenpoint “
just below East New York for perceptions of class and safety” based on Google Street View images – then took it back to say how fabulous we are.
• Missed the Mayoral Debate? “Watch Christine Quinn, Bill de Blasio, Bill Thompson, John Liu and Anthony Weiner (but not Sal Albanese) tell each other how wrong they are about everything” (
• Tour of Newtown Creek with Mitch Waxman, “The EPA estimates it one of the dirtiest waterways in the country.” (
Times News Weekly)
For the Love of Greenpoint Food (Eat Boutique)
• Weekly dancing in the dark party –
No Lights No Lycra – in the Daily News
• On The Elm, new restauarant in King and Grove Hotel, “the Elm, with its emphasis on complex, precisely composed dishes, seems more like the geeky smart kid cocky in the knowledge that his S.A.T. scores precede him. (
New Yorker) Artwork by Tamara Garvey
Do you have love in your heart and room in your home to adopt a – CHICKEN? (Epoch Times)
Lab grown burger in London didn’t taste so great, and took 2 years and $325,000 to make! (NY Times)
Bedwick: “No matter how much any reasonable person howls, real estate hustlers are always trying to think of new names for Brooklyn neighborhoods.” (Brokelyn)
• “I’m literally paid to look at beautiful girls — how
hard is that?” Chat with Pumps Barback (Bedford and Bowery)
• Shine off your ice skates –
rink posibly coming to McCarren Park Pool (GWAPP)
“Operation Snow Cone” Ice Cream truck sold drug pops! (NY Post)
• Historical DUKBO – “
down under the Kosciuszko Bridge onramp” (Queens Brownstoner)
Brokleyn interviews Booklyn’s Ariana Misfelt, Maya Taylor and Aimee Lusty about the 24 hour Zine Challenge (Video) Artwork by Tamara Garvey
• Hurray! IS318 “
The Brooklyn Castle” Chess Team reached their goal of raising $67,785! That doesn’t mean you can’t still make a donation!
• Did you know Greenpoint has a park called Sgt. William Dougherty Park? It’s right by the BQE on Meeker and Vandervoort Ave. Don’t get too attached, it will be closed for four years while the Kosciusko Bridge gets a major facelift (
• Watch out Levin, Pierson is talking nice to pedestrians and bikers. “Stephen Pierson, who is running against incumbent Stephen Levin (D-Greenpoint-Williamsburg) in the Sept. 10 Democratic Primary for the seat in the 33rd Council District, has released a nine-point transportation plan he said will improve public safety” (
• If you can stand to venture out of Greenpoint, here are
18 Free Things to Do This Week in Brooklyn (Brokelyn)
• Would you swim in
a pool that uses water diverted from the Newtown Creek? The future (theoretically) is the Exorcise Pool… (DNAinfo)
• “Residents of the Greenpoint Hotel are fed up with their landlord and want him fined and arrested. Tenants rallied Wednesday outside the Brooklyn Housing Court to demand a safer living environment.” (
Greenpoint Gazette) Category: News, The Hook-Up Tags: blogs, Brooklyn Castle, exorcise pool, IS318, jen g, links, news, Newtown Creek, parks, politics, stephen levin, stephen pierson Summer Sunset at Bushwick Inlet
• Yes way!
Bill Murray was at Briskettown! (Free Williamsburg)
• All you need to know about
Low Cost Healthcare For Freelancers & Artists (Bushwick Daily)
• Rezoning is paving the way for retail on
Governors Island (Curbed NY)
• Brooklyn Based pays a visit to Greenpoint’s
The Perfect Nothing Catalog
• It isn’t just graphs and maps,
understanding urban existence requires observation of social behavior (GOOD)
• Great advice on
throwing an awesome DIY Networking Party (Brooklyn Based)
Brooklyn Commmunity Talk Show Broadcasting From McCarren Park: Bittersweet (Greenpoint Gazette)
• If this isn’t DieHipster fodder, I don’t know what is!
Camp in rooftop tents in Williamsburg (Brooklyn Paper) Category: News, The Hook-Up Tags: blogs, Brooklyn, Greenpoint, links, news, north brooklyn, the hook-up, weblinks, week in review, willliamsburg Machito at [email protected]
• Cringeworthy: MTA is talking about
selling subway station names to corporations, but the names would be “accurate and help orient customers as they navigate the MTA network,” like Macy’s 34th St – to shopping of course. What would they call the G Nassaue & Greenpoint Ave stops? Polonia Nassau? The Garden G?
• This happened:
Smallest Dick Contest (via Brokelyn)
• “The Peranza is an all-for-one effort, in which the common goal of moving the Giglio subsumes all class distinctions.”
Inside the Giglio Lift (Greenline)
• They don’t have it for the G (not surprising) but a website
predicts temps on L train platform during the recent heat wave (Bushwick Daily)
• Flickr is cool again with
photo generated maps. If I remembered my password I’d login and show you a #Greenpoint map… (Animal)
5 shot in Bushwick on Saturday (ABCLocal) Category: News, The Hook-Up Tags: blogs, brooklyn blogs, brooklyn news, Bushwick, Greenpoint, greenpoint news, links, local, website, Williamsburg • It’s Rental Season, 5 Things to Look Out For In Your Lease (Brokelyn)
• Riding through a fire hydrant on your bike in the heat is fun, right?
10 Things You Should Know About Open Fire Hydrants (Bushwick Daily)
• New Greenpoint Restaurant
Luksus Reviewed By Grub Street
• Got A Greenpoint Restaurant?
Inspection Reform That Might Not Suck (Greenpoint Gazette)
• New Restaurant:
The Elm Coming To King & Grove (Free Williamsburg via Du Jour)
No G Train? No Problem (Brokelyn)
Flag Burner is a Greenpointer (Gothamist)
• Not Surprising,
Teens Arrested At McCarren Park Pool (Brooklyn Paper) Map Lauren Carol Smith on Bedford & Bowery
• In what
Bedford & Bowery call “Berry Hill” North Brooklynites clad in polos and khakis are giving the area a Manhattan feel.
• Locavores, foragers and jammers take heed, there is
a map of all urban plants that are edible! ( Via Animal)
• Nationally, it’s
getting better to get gay married, now we need to get the rest of the 37 homophone states on board. (NY Times)
Alligator parts found in Williamsburg (FreeWilliamsburg)
• Bushwick Daily reports on
an art show at Pumps – our local titty bar.
• Watch out Citibike users…
more tickets for cyclists in Brooklyn (Gothamist)
• As they bid farewell,
Silent Drape Runners releases a digital mix tape (Brooklyn Based)
Brooklyn Bike Patrol will be back and needs volunteers! (Brokelyn) From The Wooden House Project
• On Greenpoint’s art scene, Calico Brooklyn’s Scott Chasse comments: “Greenpoint’s art scene is a sleeping giant,” in an article about the gallery in
Art File Magazine.
• BUG OUT!
Become a Brooklyn Urban Gardener (get it?) at Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.
Cafe Grumpy opening in Time’s Square? Yes. (Brokelyn)
BK Flea shut down last week, “because the edge is a poorly constructed piece of garbage.” (Free Williamsburg)
• We are in the siding capital of the world, but
if you so have a Brownstone, find out if it’s a wood frame.
Another cafe is coming to Greenpoint in the fall, and you can also buy a Nordic sweater there. (Village Voice)