SATURDAY 4/15, 930pm! Flirt Reynolds takes over the back room spinning 70s disco/funk, 80s new wave/pop, 90s hip hop and 2000s indie dance music, all on vinyl. Dance till you’re dead! Free champagne for those dressed in throwback attire, until it runs out.@ Humboldt & Jackson (434 Humboldt Street), FREE!
* Pole Play Wednesday @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave) 9pm, FREE, Safe space for pole dancers in the NYC community to come out and show their friends and fellow aerialists what they’ve been working on, RSVP ♫ Transit.FM presents Local Service 006 @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave) 10pm, FREE,Transit.FM returns to take over the Bad Room. Breaks, jungle, and more from some of NYC’s best drum and bass selectors, More info ♫ Hot Chip (DJ Set)/ Mike Simonetti @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $30,Renowned indie/electronica band Hot Chip bring their DJ skills alongside one of Brooklyn’s finest selectors Mike Simonetti, Buy tixContinue reading →
We’re so close to Spring (or at least have had our fair share of trickster spring weather), and people are starting to come out of hibernation and onto the streets, amped up to see live music. This month brings us some fantastic options every single night. Here are our top music picks for every day we have left in March! Get your tickets now, before this stuff sells out.
Tuesday, March 7th Buke & Gase Improv Residency
Don’t miss out on this experimental indie rock series from Brooklyn duo Buke & Gase. This particular show will feature Yuka Honda of Cibo Matto as their special guest! Union Pool, 484 Union Ave. | 8pm, $10-12 ticketsContinue reading →
*North Brooklyn Safe Streets Meet Up! @ Greenpoint Beer & Ale (7 North 15th St) 7pm, FREE, Discuss how we can work together to make our neighborhood streets safer for everyone, More info ^ Stories My Friends Tell Me @ Archestratus (160 Huron St) 7pm, FREE, Hosted series where friends have five to ten minutes each to tell an important story from their lives. By sharing our personal stories we encourage each other to write and be productive, RSVP ♫ BAE // intentions @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, FREE, The INTENTIONS edition: with tools, techniques, visuals, spaces, and SOUNDS for arousing your best, lightest self in the midst of it all, RSVP
♦ United In Anger Screening @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave) 7pm, $10, Screening of Jim Hubbard’s “United in Anger: A History of ACT UP.” Short performance by drag queen, writer, and activist Miz Cracker plus a discussion with Miz Cracker and the filmmaker, Buy tix ^ January Depression-Fighting Group Reading @ WORD (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebration of new books and fantastic memoir/essay/literary nonfiction writers featuring Jason Diamond, Chloe Caldwell, Morgan Jerkins, Danielle Henderson and Kat Kinsman, RSVP * New Moon Sound Portal @ The Hollows (151 Bedford Ave) 7:30pm, by Donation, New Moon is a symbolic portal for new beginnings and it’s a perfect time to set intentions for things you’d like to create, develop, cultivate, and make manifest, RSVPContinue reading →
* Starting Your Intimacy Revolution with Christine Long @ New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd) 7pm, $20, Find intimacy in new ways by cultivating closeness and connection through your work, community and self, Buy tix ♦ Olio at Idio: On Civil Disobedience, Resisting the Machine @ IDIO Gallery (976 Gran St) 7pm, $12, When a government becomes a machine that churns out injustice, it is the right and the duty of the citizen to resist the actions of that machine, to throw a spanner in its works. Talk led by Professors Michael Haltenberger and Michael Prettyman, RSVP
* Fundraiser for Oakland Ghost Ship Fire Victims @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 6pm, $10-25, Film screenings of MLK JR. WAY and Remember You’re Special. All proceeds go to benefit victims of the Oakland Ghost Ship Fire, More info * Trump, Keep Out: A Planned Parenthood Benefit @ Broken Land (105 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Celebrate the last day of Obama’s presidency with an Inauguration Eve party. ALL PROCEEDS from bar and raffle sales during the event will be donated to Planned Parenthood, RSVP * Celebrate the End of the World @ Northern Territory (12 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Drink, dance & celebrate the last night of the Obama administration #comewhatmay. Here’s to 8 years of progress and growth- you’re gonna feel like shit on Friday anyways. #thankyouobama, More info Continue reading →
♦ New Solo Female Work @ New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd) 7pm, $15, Featuring female solo performance, poetry, singer-songwriters, stand up, puppetry or maybe something we haven’t seen before, Buy tix * Open Pole Night @House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave) 9pm, FREE, Fancy yourself a pole qween? Come ride our long, hard, steel all night. Come out and show friends and fellow aerialists what you’ve been working on, More infoContinue reading →
FUCK 2016! As quite possibly the worst year on record, let’s destroy it like a teenage house party! Come experience the ball pit drop at midnight! Complimentary Midnight Champagne Toast with our own Ballpit Drop! Bring your worst moment of 2016 on a piece of paper, shred it in our shredder and watch your worst moment become a confetti explosion at Midnight. @Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), Doors open at 9PM. $40 Advance Tickets/ $50 at the door, Buy tix[sponsored]
Drink in the New Year with Greenpoint Beer and Ale (7 North 15th St)! From 10 PM to 1 AM we will be serving as much beer as you can drink for $35! There will be dancing plus a toast at midnight for all! Watch the ball drop live on our big screen!
$35 Open beer bar option online only. $45 at the door. If you do not want open bar there is a $10 cover charge at the door, Buy tix [Sponsored]
* Chanukah at the Gutter @ Gutter Bar (200 North 14th St) 8pm, FREE, The Gutter Bar Lights Up! Bowl with Latkes and make sure the donuts don’t end up in the gutter. Menorah Lighting and drinks. For young professionals in your 20’s & 30’s (ID required). Fun & Food is on us, Bourbon & Bowl is on you, RSVP ♫ DEATH MATCH 2 @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave) 9pm, FREE, There will be music! There will be a NO RING wrestling match! There will be TOYS! There will be blood! There will be UNSTOPPABLE DEATH MACHINES! There will be the highly anticipated DEBUT of TIGHT FRIGHT(Former members of Big Bitch)!, RSVP Continue reading →
If you want to erase all memories of 2016 via booze, hardcore dancing and from anywhere but your couch, here’s our list of where to party in North Brooklyn this New Years Eve. From prix fixe dinners to house music legends to open bars, to champagne toasts to confetti explosions and confessionals, we’ve got you covered. Some of these events are sold out already with waiting lists, but most of them aren’t… Yet. Assemble your crew!
Good Room | 98 Meserole Ave. NYE Love Bombs, with dj’s Soul Clap, No Regular Play & Love Tempo; champagne toast at midnight and an open bar from 12-1am, balloon drop, confetti cannons and a breakfast buffet! 9pm-6am.
Tickets $65 available here, more info on Facebook.
St. Vitus | 1120 Manhattan Ave. Slowly sway to post-punk emo rockers Rainer Maria, with openers Snail Mail, 8pm.
$25 tickets here.
Black Flamingo | 168 Borniquen Place A Good Flocking Time: DJs and dancing from 9pm-4am, Jacques Renault, Midnight Magic, Beto Cravioto, Higgins.
Tickets $15-20 here, info here.
Brooklyn Winery | 213 N 8th Street Brooklyn Winery presents an Alice In Wonderland themed party titled World of Wonder. From 9pm-1:30am, ring in 2017 in the forest of whimsy! Don your most fantastical cocktail attire and raise a glass to the end of another great year with a four and a half hour open bar, lavish antipasti spreads, and passed hors d’oeuvres. The space will be transformed into a fantastical world where reality is altered and nothing is quite as it seems. Dance the night away in a mystical forest, find surprises in every room, and capture it all in a one-of-a-kind custom photo booth!
Tickets $150, here.
Brooklyn Bazaar | 150 Greenpoint Avenue From 9pm-4am Brooklyn Bazaar is hosting The Greatest New Year’s Party Ever 2017, aka F#CK 2016! As quite possibly the worst year on record, let’s destroy it like a teenage house party! Titus Andronicus, High Waisted, & Toys in Trouble will be performing live, with DJs Michael T, Dirtyfinger, Cousin Cole and more to fill out the rest of the night. Complimentary Midnight Champagne Toast with their own Ballpit Drop! Bring your worst moment of 2016 on a piece of paper, shred it in the shredder and watch your worst moment become a confetti explosion at Midnight. See-saw your troubles away, scream out your 2016 angst in our screaming high striker and play Pin the Blame on the Politician! Lose yourself in our ball pit and come dance in 3 floors of possibility and installations so you can forget 2016 and start 2017 off right.
Tickets $40-$80, info hereContinue reading →
WEDNESDAY 11/23 * BAE // the gratitude edition @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave) 6pm, $5-10, A celebration of the organic movement of Brooklyn’s underground Art & Music scene. 10% of proceeds go to Planned Parenthood of NYC and Sacred Stone Camp, More Info ♦ Metanoesis: Opening at The Hollows Artspace @ The Hollows (151 Bedford Ave) 7pm, FREE, “Metanoesis” exhibits systems of materials that are emblematic of their artists’ inferences after their experiences of noetic moments, RSVP ♫ GIVE Thanks w/ TOTH, JunXion, Afrokinetic @ Good Room (98 Messerole Ave) 9pm, $10-$15, A night of song, dance and giving thanks. 20% go towards Give a Beat, a unique channel for activism and philanthropy, Buy Tix
FRIDAY 11/25 * Black Friday Family Bowl @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave Ave) 11am, No Cover, Bring the whole family and get your bowl on. Food by Blue Ribbon will also be available, as well as local brews & more! More info # The Leftovers: Friday After Thanksgiving Potluck @ Experiment Comedy Gallery (272 Grand St) 4:30pm, FREE, Bring your leftovers to share! We’re having a potluck, and we can’t wait to side with you as you recount your argument with your Drunk Uncle Ted!, RSVP * Brooklyn Swings presents: Cookie Night! @ Brooklyn Swings Williamsburg (231 Ainslie St) 7pm, $5-10, Bring a cookie, learn a short solo routine, dance!, More info ♫ A Dingo Stole My Baby’s @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 8pm, $10, A night of fine Australian music in NYC, More info ♫ Sci+Tec Showcase @ Output (74 Wythe Ave) 10pm, $45, Dubfire from open to close plus Johnny Trika, Julia Govor, Lancaster, Raul Racio in the Panther Room, More info
* Small Business Saturday Soiree @ Dusty Rose (251 Greenpoint Ave) 12pm, FREE, Independent makers bring you a ton of gifts that will make giving feel good this holiday season. Spiced cider (with “adult” options), More info
♫ WILD FEST Brooklyn @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $25, A Benefit for the Mcallister Family Memorial Fund with Iron chic, Laura Stevenson, Worriers, Nude Beach, Shellshag, Outskirts + more special guests, More info ♫ THX FAM Givin’: Benefit Show to Fight Sexual Assault @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9PM, $8, Dance off those Thanksgiving gains with tasty beats and sweet grooves. 100% of proceeds donated to Rainn.org to help victims of sexual assault and violence, More info ♫DISCOTECHNIQUE: The White Party @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave), 10PM, $0-25, Elegance. Opulence. Clean lines. Bright looks. An iconic white party to tribute an iconic era of music – Disco, Buy tix
* Women & Trans Bike Repair Workshop@ Time’s Up! Brooklyn (99 South 6th) 1:30pm, FREE, Learn the basics of bicycle repair from female mechanics designed by women and for women. No previous experience with bicycle repair required, More info * Lunation A New Moon in Sagittarius Kundalini Shakti Transmission @ Golden Drum (97 Green St) 5pm $25, During this Lunation we will use Kundalini Shakti, a New Moon ritual and the power of the truth seeking Sagittarius to manifest and walk our truth in an larger than life Sagittarius way, More info
MONDAY 11/28 ♫ Uncle Meg Album Release Party @ Don Pedro (90 Manhattan Ave) 6:30pm, $8, Post-Thanksgiving album release party with Paco The G Train Bandit, Uncle Meg with performance by Jon DEBT, and more, RSVP * Match Cuts Presents: Chantal Akerman’s One Day Pina Asked… @ Spectacle Theatre (124 South 3rd St) 7:30pm, $5, An encounter between two of the most remarkable women artists of the 20th century, a look at the work of choreographer Pina Bausch and her Wuppertal, Germany-based dance company, More info ♫ Benefit for Planned Parenthood @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St) 8pm, $10, With Dreamcrusher, Razzle Dazzle, LAW$UITS, Rodenticide, and Guido (Mem. Deli Girls), RSVP
TUESDAY 11/29 # Flavors of Cambodian Cooking @ Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) 6:30pm, $95, Light, fresh, and vibrant, Cambodian food tends to be less well known than that of its Thai and Vietnamese neighbors. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to explore, taste, and learn to love this special Southeast Asian cuisine! More info ♦ No 26: Requiem For A Dream (Recut, Remixed, Rescored) @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave) 7pm, $12-$100, A live audio visual take on Requiem for a Dream. The film will be re-cut, re-scored and re-imagined using live musicians, dancers, an audio visual artist and 3D video projection mapping, More Info ♦ Rally+Rise: Party for Planned Parenthood (Recut, Remixed, Rescored) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, $0-$50, Learn more about how you can get involved with Rally + Rise’s lobbying efforts to pass laws in New York that will protect our rights—no matter what happens in Washington. DJs and 2-for-1 drinks all night, all proceeds go to Planned Parenthood, More Info
* Greenpointers Pick
^ Literary Event
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
♥ Pheremones Likely
For all you Halloweeners out there, here are our top picks for some fine spine chillin’ in North Brooklyn. Whether you’re in the mood to dance the night away with DJs, see rad costumed cover bands, freak out at scary movies, compete in a costume contest, take a zombie terrarium class or participate in a basement seance, our neighborhood has truly an abundance of choice this year.
⟫⌇⧘⧚⧛⧙⌇⟫ WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26 ⟪⌇⧘⧚⧛⧙⌇⟪
GIF-O-Ween at Brooklyn Bazaar Sponsored by GIPHY and presented by Animation Block Party, GIFOWEEN is a Halloween-themed animation loop contest!
This party will feature the official launch of GIPHY PRESENTS: GIF DANCE PARTY, a fully immersive dance environment that allows you to finally become dance partners with all your favorite online characters at once! Brooklyn Bazaar | 150 Greenpoint Ave.
8pm-12am, FREE, Costumes highly encouraged RSVP on Facebook
We last caught up with champion shirt-presser Iron Man at his Pete’s Candy Store residency back in July. Now the pro-ironer is pressing on with a new event next week, attempting “synchronized ironing” during a screening of the movie Carrie. (We think A Wrinkle In Time would have been more appropriate.) Bring any clothes you want ironed, prom clothes preferred, but any will be accepted for pressing.