If you’re not familiar, the Brooklyn Art Library is home to The Sketchbook Project, an internationally crowd-sourced collection of 35,000 original artist sketchbooks created around the globe.
With over one million sketchbook spreads housed within their library walls at 28 Frost Street, BAL is a platform for visitors to connect with artists they may never have come across otherwise. And so much more!
* Demystifying Government: Executive Shenanigans @ Cloud City (85 North 1st St) 7:30pm, FREE, How does the government work? For all of us who may have forgotten a thing or two from civics class. The first three programs will cover our three branches, starting all the way at the top, More info ♫ Dervisi Greek Gangsta Blues @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave) 9pm, FREE, Fragrant songs and dances from a long-lost underworld- Punk Rembetika, More info
♦ The Apprentices Group show @ The Hollows (151 Bedford Ave), 6pm, FREE, Group exhibition “The Apprentices” for which artist are reworking art historical pieces with the condition that the originals’ artists are alive, More info * Castrate the Patriarchy! @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 7pm, FREE, March is Women’s History month! What better way to celebrate than a variety show in support of Planned Parenthood?More info ^ American Life Through Muslim Eyes @ City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $10, Sabeeha Rehman reads from her award-winning book, Threading My Prayer Rug. This collection of Sabeeha’s memoirs presents humorous and poignant moments from her life as a Muslim who immigrated from Pakistan to the US, Buy tix
♦ Williamsburg Holiday Party @ Brooklyn Art Library (28 Frost St) 7pm, FREE, Meet other locals and get free stuff from local businesses, More Info * Toasted Wedding Event @ Dobbin St (64 Dobbin St) 6pm, $12, Curated mix of 40+ independent wedding vendors, alternative and modern wedding ideas, handcrafted and eco-friendly goods and a party-like mood. Music, food, goodie bags, raffles, photo booth pix, Buy tix ☺ Trump University Alumni Ball @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 10pm, $5, Since leaving from our tremendous, really fantastic alma mater Trump U, we’ve come to realize how important it is to give back. Raising funds for Planned Parenthood and the International Refugee Assistance Project. Comedy show Catch A Writhing Star returns, RSVPContinue reading →
Watch the Election Results come in on the big screen @Sottocasa Pizzeria Williamsburg (232 North 12th St) Tuesday, 11/8, 7PM Celebrate or commiserate with 2-for-1 drinks specials, like the “That Nasty Woman” or “The Deplorable”, as states are won and lost. Win a round or Nutella pizza by competing in short rounds of presidential. [Sponsored]
WEDNESDAY 11/02 * Zodiac Club: Wiiiitch @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 6:30pm, FREE, An observation of liminal time with film screenings, tarot readings, and potion service, More info ♫ Toots & the Maytals @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $28.50, One of the great voices of Jamaica, with opener Selectress Iriela, More info
☺ Laughter in the Darkness @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway) 8pm, $12, With Mother of Three, Dave Hill, Seaton Smith, Seth Herzog, and Lauren Mayberry, More info
* 8th Annual Collaborations in Dance Festival@ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St) 8pm, $16, A celebration of movement-based performance developed along with artists working in other media, More info
WEDNESDAY 6/22 * Himapan: Lotus Leaf Painting @ Brooklyn Art Library (28 Frost St) 3pm, $95, Flex your creative muscle and paint a lotus masterpiece; get 30% off with code PAINT, More info ♫ James Brown vs. Prince @ The Hall at MP (470 Driggs Ave) 8pm, $18, Featuring members of the Trey Anastasio Band, Lettuce, Turkuaz, Kung Fu, Rubblebucket, Jazz Is PHSH, and more, Buy tix
THURSDAY 6/23 * Craft Party @ Brooklyn Craft Co (61 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, $55, Make five different DIY projects, from macrame to mini-bookbinding to glass etching, More info ♫ The Wild Honey Pie Presents @ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 8pm, $15, With Soak and Overcoats, Buy tix * Puppet Playlist #21: Dolly Parton @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St) 8:30pm, $13, A group of puppeteers and musicians create original works of puppetry and music based on a musical theme, Buy tix
WEDNESDAY 5/11 ♫ Sacred Song Study @ The Ark (107 Green St) 7pm, FREE, An intentional gathering promoting the development and deeper learning of traditional sacred songs from around the world, More info ^ Scott Ian in Conversation @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, $20, Word presents Scott Ian discussing his memoir I’m the Man: The Story of That Guy from Anthrax with Keith Buckley, vocalist of Every Time I Die and debut author of the novel Scale, More info
THURSDAY 5/12 ^ Book Launch: Spontaneous Urban Plants @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, FREE, Spontaneous Urban Plants investigates the role of weeds in the urban ecosystem by profiling a cross section of weeds, More info ☺ Detention @ Annoyance Theater (367 Bedford Ave) 8pm, $5, Watch the Annoyance NY’s improv instructors screw up everything they teach, More info * We Know Edie LaMinx Had a Gun @ Standard Toykraft (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $15, A play exploring the sensationalism surrounding the life and death of a fabulous drag queen, Buy tix
With the beautiful spring weather we’re having, chances are you and your friends will be hanging at McCarren Park at some point this weekend. Why not check out the participating artists at this weekend’s Greenpoint Open Studios.
This “Art Near the Park” Route is less than 1 mile and includes five studio visits, enjoy!
The Brooklyn Art Library at 28 Frost Street is home to The Sketchbook Project collection in its physical form, which means they house 35,000 sketchbooks created by artists from all over the world. Each book is catalogued and tagged and visitors are invited to view and explore all of the books on site or online.Continue reading →
* Artists, Writers, Dreamers, and Thinkers @ Brooklyn Art Library (103A North 3rd St) 7pm, FREE, James Gulliver Hancock, the artist behind All The Buildings in New York, shares his latest book, RSVP * Poker Philanthropy Fundraiser @ TBA Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30pm, FREE / $100 buy-in, Play Texas Hold-Em to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project, More info
* 7th Annual Druid Underground Film Festival @ Spectacle Theater (124 South 3rd St) 8pm, $5, DUFF screening are infused with themes of surrealism and obsession to create a truly unique theatre experience, RSVP
THURSDAY 5/29 ♦ Ginger Rivera Opening Reception @ Yashar Gallery (276 Greenpoint Ave) 7pm, FREE, Atmospheres and other recent works, RSVP
☺ The “Free Pizza” Pizza Show @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, A comedy show tribute to the greatest food on earth, featuring five short plays about pizza, More info
* Choreography @ Knockdown Center (52-19 Flushing Ave) 8pm, $15, Michou Szabo premieres a new evening length dance work created for the vaulted panoramic structure of the Knockdown Center, Buy tix Continue reading →