Back in 2001, Brendt Barbur got struck by a city bus in NYC while riding his bicycle. Seventeen years later his brainchild, The Bicycle Film Fest, sets up in nearly 100 cities around the globe and celebrates our favorite two-wheeled mode of transport in film, art and music. And, parts of this year’s phenomenal six day fest will be held in North Brooklyn! Read on for more details about what’s going on in our ‘hood during the event (including the free and open to the public opening night BBQ). Check out the BFF site for a full schedule of events.
For the 7th year, TASTE Williamsburg Greenpoint returns this Sunday, September 18th to showcase mouthwatering dishes and drinks from the best of North Brooklyn’s local restaurants and bars. From 1-5PM in the East River State Park (90 Kent Ave), guests will get to get a taste of a variety of delicious flavors from over 50 neighborhood hangouts like Maison Premiere, Lilia, Lighthouse BK, The Meatball Shop, Cafe Mogador, Pies ‘n’ Thighs and many more! Newcomers Cheeseboat and Hail Mary of Greenpoint.
Will there be cocktails? Absolutely. Beer? Plenty of it, thanks to Brooklyn Brewery. Music? Get that booty shaking to Blonde Redhead’s DJ set and a special performance by Grammy award-winning Tim Kubbart.
If you want to learn a lot about the bands playing the CMJ Music Marathon tonight, you are in luck. You see, the acronym “CMJ” stands for “College Media Journal,” so music journalists consider this festival their natural home, and the Web is replete with their descriptions of the bands.
But tonight is a school night, and maybe you don’t need more homework. So for tonight’s shows we’ve figured out a simpler way to entice you out to the clubs. We accomplish that through a combination of diktat and convenience.
First, diktat. Some of our Greenpointers music writers list their favorite bands playing tonight. Then for your convenience, I organize their choices in set time order.
We also provide a SoundCloud playlist for your song previewing pleasure. Continue reading
Lost Lectures Two NY with Kazu Makino of Blonde Redhead, Josephine Decker, Tao Lin, Jon Ronson, Diana Al-Hadid, and more!
A secret venue in Brooklyn will be taken over for an immersive night of never-before-seen talks and performances. The evening includes:
- Blonde Redhead‘s Kazu Makino will be surprising the crowd with never before seen material (it’s even a secret to us)
- one of the world’s leading gonzo journalists Jon Ronson, who is best known for his investigation into public shaming, will be unveiling his new project
- indie filmmaker Josephine Decker will be doing a top secret performance
- NYC busker-turned-activist Andrew Kalleen will be bringing a troupe of street musicians for a show-stopping performance
- internationally renowned visual artist Diana Al-Hadid will discuss her work and its visual influences
- poet, novelist, and artist Tao Lin, who has just published a new book, Selected Tweets, with poet Mira Gonzalez, will surely generate discussion, and
- urban explorer Steve Duncan will share the secrets of the city’s underground.