Over the past decade, the population of North Brooklynites working in creative industries — which includes film production, art, music, advertising, fashion, museums, and architecture — has skyrocketed, according to a new report from Comptroller Scott Stringer’s office. Continue reading
Free Cities, Skate Night, Pussy Power, Hip Hop Karaoke, Easter Craft Fair, Russian Circles: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (3/27-4/2)
• Newtown Creek CAG Meeting @ LaGuardia Community College (31-10 Thomson Ave, E Building, Room E500) 6-8pm, a conversation with the EPA and NYCDEP about Superfund and Newtown Creek
♦ Free Cities Party NYC-Flint @ Metropolitan Exchange (33 Flatbush Ave) 8-10pm, silent auction, crepes, virtual tours, booze from Michigan, RSVP
* Daiquiris & Dub @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 9pm, DJ Kahncept spinning heady dub and reggae, $7 Denizen Rum cocktails
♫ Gondola / Helioscope / Jeremy Mark Freer / Satellite Radion @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Avenue) 7pm, $6
♥ Is Feminism Sexy? @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Jennifer Armstrong discusses what feminism means to young women today, RSVP
* Skate Night Rockaway Benefit @ Villain (50 N 3rd St) 9pm, FREE, live music, dj’s, mini ramps, art auction, raffle and prizes, food and drinks, RSVP
♥ Pussy Power Aerial & Variety Show @ House of Yes (342 Maujer St, Bushwick) 8pm, $15, estrogen-fueled super-circus celebrating the Va-J-J herself, RSVP
♫ Dichroics / Circle of Buzzards / Dead Stars @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10
♫ Reggae Bash @ RBar (451 Meeker Ave) 9:30pm, FREE, 3 Kings Sound, RSVP
♫ Archipelago / Belle Mare / Ora Cogan @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm
♫ the Howling Hex / Blanche Blanche Blanche / Harpoon Forever @ Secret Project Robot (389 Meserole St, Bushwick) 8pm, $10, RSVP
♫ The Beets / Wild Yaks / Air Waves / Darlings / Beach Arabs @ Living Bread Deli (2 Knickerbocker Ave) 8pm, $10
♫ Bear Ceuse / Lightouts @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, $8
* Hip Hop Karaoke @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 9pm, $5 w/flyer
* Easter Egg Hunt @ McGolrick/Winthrop Park, 11am, $5, Pack a picnic lunch and celebrate the start of spring!
• Compost Harvest & Housecleaning @ North Brooklyn Compost Project (McCarren Park, N12th St and Driggs) 1-4pm, harvest compost, take some home, help fancy up the site
♥ Meat All About It @ TBD (214 Franklin St) 2pm, “lets make Misteaks together … bringing back the STEAK! and other yummy outdoor food, DJs Greg Smith & the Broken English at 6pm
♫ Ed Schrader’s Music Beat / Jamaican Queens / Free Blood / Zula @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm, $8
SUNDAY 3/31 – Happy Easter!
♦ Easter Craft Fair @ Fashion Rock (372 Tompkins Ave, Bed-Stuy) 4-10pm, More info
♫ Unstoppable Death Machines / Fake Hooker / Respect / Laughters / Mtns. @ Silent Barn (603 Bushwick Ave) 8pm
♫ Russian Circles @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm
• North Brooklyn Boat Club Public Meeting @ Rod & Gun Club (59 Kent Ave) 8pm, Featuring: Paddles, boat building, boathouses, urban camping, gardens, ecology, and dolphins!
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
CMJ Shows, Calico Opening, Pumpkin Carving, Apple Pie Competition, Mac-Off: What’s Happening? (10/17-10/24)
CMJ is in full swing and recommended shows are highlighted in plum.
♥ Pumpkin Carving Party @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 6pm, cheap cocktails and beer
• Oktoberfest Open Bar @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) 8-9pm, Over 100 beers!
♫ Gunfight! / Backwords / Quiet Loudly / Indian Rebound / Sharkmuffin @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 8pm, RSVP
♫ Dead Leaf Echo / Andre Obin / Some Ember / Rarechild / Treasure Teeth @ Tandem (236 Troutman St) 8pm, $5, RSVP
♫ Chains of Love / Heliotropes / Papercranes / Aact Rrasier / The Analog Girl / Young Girls @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, $10
♫ Ava Luna / Fergus & Geronimo / Royal Canoe / Murals / Starlight Girls / Sinkane / Chains of Love / Spanish Prisoners @ Ran Tea House (269 Kent Ave) 3pm, RSVP
♫ Body Language / Opossom / Devin / Donora / Echo-Friendly / Night Panther @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, FREE
♫ Valleys / Beach Day / Bleeding Rainbow / Eternal Summers / Zambri / Moon King / Roommates @ Cameo Gallery (93 No. 6th St) Noon, Free, Beer Specials, RSVP
♦ Exhibit B @ Calico (67 West St, #206) 7-9pm, the second of two inaugural group art shows, More info
♦ Bring Your Own Beamer @ The Autumn Bowl (67 West St) 8pm, NBNY invites anyone to bring a projector and playback device (laptop, media player, DVD player) and project on any and all surfaces, creating a collaborative tapestry of overlapping moving imagery. Electricity provided. $5 before 10pm, $10 after 10pm, Free with Beamer
♫ Unstoppable Death Machines / ZZZ’s / Ben Robey / Netherlands @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, $5
♫ Terekke / Anthony Naples / Aquarian / Nooka Jones / Evan Michael / Judge Wise / T’Angelo @ 70 No. 6th St Loft, 10pm, $5
• Fall Festival @ East River State Park (No. 8th & Kent St) 10am-3pm, Pumpkins, music, food and family activities.
• Mulchtoberfest @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (Paige & Provost) noon-4pm, Join Newtown Creek Alliance to tuck the Nature Walk in for the winter by mulching and feeding all of the planting beds.
♫ The Suzan / ZZZ’s / Trabajo / 1200 Trees / Unkle Yva Punkfaggot @ Free Candy (905 Atlantic Ave, Bed-Stuy) Noon, Free
♫ Greenpointers / Super Crush Studios / Carabella Presents CMJ Showcase @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 3pm, $7, Spanish Prisoners / Neighbors / Ra Ra Rasputin / Young Heel / Il Abanico, RSVP
* 3rd Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest @ Crest Hardware (558 Metropolitan Ave) 7-11pm, Free, $5 to compete, pumpkins must be carved upon arrival, More info
♦ The New Brutalists @ Parallel Art Space (17-17 Troutman Street #220, Ridgewood) 6-9pm, an exhibition featuring artwork by Samuel T. Adams, Guy Nelson, Leah Raintree, and Frank Zadlo, More info
♫ Sinkane / Slowdance / We Can’t Enjoy Ourselves / Weeknight @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 8pm, $8
♫ Blonde Summer / The Outside / Dune Rats / Suburban Living / Cool Serbia @ Trash Bar (256 Grand St) 8pm, $8
* Gunk Under Greenpoint Bike Ride @ Nag Office (110 Kent Ave) 2-5:30pm, tour industrial North Brooklyn and learn about “black mayonnaise” and other nastiness that lurks beneath the surface, discuss the future of this rapidly developing neighborhood.
♥ Apple Pie Contest @ Enid’s (560 Manhattan Ave) 5pm, More info
♥ 3rd Annual Mac-Off @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 5pm, Free to compete, $15 at door, $10 in advance
♫ Unstoppable Death Machines / Juggernaut / Cinema Cinema / Bambara / Hounds Basket / The Benjees / Osekre & The Lucky Bastards / The Brooklyn What / Ravenous / Inky Jack / Going Green @ Rock Bottom (175 Stockholm) 5pm, $5
* Yummy Eats Presidential Debate Dinner @ TBD (222 Franklin St) 8pm, Korean Menu, RSVP
♦ Watercolor on Prepared Paper Workshop @ [email protected] (2 Kingsland Ave) 6:30-9:30pm, experiment with watercolor while being able to get the white of the paper back by simply wiping it away, all levels.
• Open House @ Awakening NY (607 Manhattan Ave) 2-8pm, Explore Free movement classes, personal consultations and massages while eating complimentary, mouth-watering, healthy and organic snacks.
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
We’ve received feedback from users subscribed to the RSS feed. They are sad because the feed emails posts the following day, so when they receive “What’s Happening?” on Thursdays they’ve missed the awesomeness from the previous night. Now “What’s Happening?” will list Wed- Wed happenings. Hope it helps!
There is so much art happening in Greenpoint – it’s insane!
♦ Flora e Fauna: Exhibition of Botanical Drawings by KT Smail @ Nights & Weekends (1 Bedford Ave) 6-9pm
♦ James Bellizia Opening Reception @ Dandelion Wine (153 Franklin St) 7-9pm
♦ Do It Awake @ The Heliopolis Project (154 Huron St.) 7-10pm, More info
• Gabrielle Bell and Julia Wertz, in conversation with Jami Attenberg @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, Comics artist and Greenpoint local Gabrielle Bell will launch her new graphic novel The Voyeurs with artist Julia Wertz followed by a conversation with novelist Jami Attenberg.
• Fashion Night Out Greenpoint
♦ Red Left Blue Right @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Double Triple is presenting a show of art and design for red/blue 3-D glasses, cocktails, snacks, music, 3-D photo booth, More info
♫ Bust Magazine Issue Release Party @ Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, Free music from Mannequin Pussy, Leda & DJ set from Permanent Wave
♫ Dinowalrus / Xray Eyeballs / Life Size Maps / Grand Resort / Psychobuildings @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $4
♦ This Is How My Brain Works @ Radiator Gallery (10-61 Jackson Ave, LIC) 6-8pm, 16 artists who practice collage ranging from works on paper to video, sculpture, books, photography
♦ 744 Hr Photo & Tanning @ Rawson Projects (223 Franklin St) 6-8pm, Choit will continue her practice of utilizing a modified UV-light-emitting tanning bed as a photographic tool, further exploring her interest in the effect of photochemical processes on found objects.
♦ Odd Job @ Fowler Arts (67 West St, #216) 7-10pm, An exhibition of new work by artists Ted Carey, Jacob Goudreault, and Simon Slater. Painting in the 21st century is an odd job. With no rules or boundaries, how does one beat a path to new possibilities?
♦ Malado Baldwin Opening Reception @ The One Well (165 Greenpoint Ave) 7-10pm, a retrospective
♫ Ava Luna / Ed Schrader’s Music Beat / Lost Boy? / Indian Rebound @ Living Bread Deli (2 Knickerbocker Ave) 8pm, $10
♦ Newtown Creek Armada Opening Ceremony @ Newtown Creek Nature Walk (50 Paidge Ave at Provist St) 1-4pm, Visitors to The Armada will pilot a fleet of artist-made, miniature, remote-controlled boats along the surface of the Newtown Creek while documenting the hidden world of its waters using waterproof cameras and microphones, More info
• Samantha Pleet X Wolverine Pop Up Shop @ In God We Trust (70 Greenpoint Ave) 6-10pm, Special SP x Wolverine shoe pre-order, Bonny boots on sale, goodie bags, Brooklyn Gin, Brooklyn Brewery brews, and Samantha’s Pie Faces.
♫ Noon / Foster Care / Pink Reason @ Lulu’s (113 Franklin St) 4-8pm, Free
♫ Octant / Backwords / Starlight Girls / Zula / Ping Pong @ Party XPO (929 Broadway, Bed-Stuy) 9pm, $6
Taste Williamsburg Greenpoint @ CitiStorage (5 N 11th St @ Kent Ave) 1-5pm, an outdoor celebration of North Brooklyn’s local flavor to benefit the building of the Northside Town Hall, featuring sample tastes from over 50 of the neighborhood’s best restaurants, bars, breweries, and wineries, along with live music and more, Buy Tix
• Some like It Cold – Soup Competition @ Huckleberry Bar (588 Grand St) 5-8pm, It’s free to compete! It’s $10 to judge and eat! Mezcal Cocktails, more info
♫ The Shivers @ Manhattan Inn (632 Manhattan Ave) 10pm, Free
• Nora Ephron’s Heartburn – BK Kitchen Book Club @ The Brooklyn Kitchen (100 Frost St) $10, discuss Nora Ephron’s novel HEARTBURN and enjoy a no-pressure potluck inspired by the book (drinks provided), More info
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
It ain’t a boxing match people, it’s a debate between Lincoln Restler, who is our local State Committeeman and his challenger Chris Olechowski. And Chris is trying very hard to avoid getting into it with Lincoln because he will probably walk away with his tail between his legs, but I’m not taking sides here. In order to get Chris to agree to a debate, take one minute away from Facebook and SIGN THIS PETITION!
The goal is 100 signatures. We can do better than that!
Lots of people don’t care about politics but if you are going to care about any election, it should be the ones in your own backyard, like this one!