* Transportation Committee Mtg — Community Board 1 @ Swinging 60’S Senior Citizens Center (211 Ainslie St) 630pm, FREE, monthly public transportation committee meeting, Calyer triangle intersection safety proposal and Maspeth Ave improvements to be discussed, More Info * Black and Pink Mail Processing @ Sunview Lunchnet (221 Nassau Ave), 6pm, FREE, meet to read and respond to letters; snacks provided, More Info ♫ Dervisi @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, FREE, More Info ♦ Spider-Man: From Amazing to Spectacular @ WORD (126 Franklin St), 7pm, $5+, an animated discussion about everyone’s favorite web-slinger, Buy Tix
* North Brooklyn Development Meeting – Revisiting the Rezoning of 2005 @ Polish and Slavic Center (177 Kent St), 7pm, FREE, Join local politicians and the Dept. of City Planning to discuss where new affordable and market-rate housing is being built, jobs, and open green space, More Info * Brooklyn Bus Network Redesign Open House @ Williamsburgh Library (240 Division Ave), 6pm, FREE, an open house session hosted by the MTA to gain community input on the bus network redesign, More Info * Change Our Air-Community Forum (Foro Comunitario) @ El Puente (211 S 4th St), 5pm, FREE, artists, youth activists, help advocate for the right to clean air and green open spaces through art and activism, More Info
☺ Hey! It’s a Comedy Show @ Villain (307 Kent Ave), 8pm, 730pm, $5 door, a stand-up comedy show featuring Aparna Nancherla this week, More Info
The Other Art Fair returns to Brooklyn where it runs biannually in the spring and fall in Greenpoint’s Brooklyn Expo Center (72 Noble Street). The Fair returns for its next spectacular edition from Thursday, November 7 through Sunday, November 10.
Presented by Saatchi Art, in partnership with Bombay Sapphire, The Other Art Fair showcases work by 130 talented independent artists with artworks starting from $150, each hand picked by a selection committee of art world experts. Art lovers can visit the fair with the confidence that they are buying from the very best and most promising emerging artists in a unique and immersive experience. Time Out calls it “a festival for discovering mind blowing work by emerging artists.”
* We Got You: Meeting Your Guardians and Guide @ Devi Collective (191 Nassau Ave), 8pm, $40, experiential group healing circle that uses gentle breath work and movement to open into an expanded state of awareness—to sense and feel the presence of your guides in your field, Buy Tix ♫ Dervisi@ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Bittersweet melodies of passion and hashish from
the old-time Greek Rembetika underworld, More info ♫ MatchaFam Summer Monthly Disco 001 @ POnyboy (632 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE,the fam gathers in the name of matcha, and the eternal disco energy it inspires within us, More info ♫ Come Get Sum: Dance Party & Cipher All Style Battle @ Silver Factory BK (270 South 5th St), 10pm, $15/20, a dance battle and party all in one with the best of hip hop, dancehall, afrobeats, breaks, deep & tech house. 10 slots sign up list to battle for cash prize, More Info
Starting Thursday, May 2nd raise a glass to Greenpoint!Take 25% off at local restaurants, bars and wine stores from May 2-12 with code TOAST25 when you pay with Cinch, a neighborhood exploration app. Discover a new cuisine, try out a new wine pairing, enjoy a local craft brew, and do it all within walking distance. [sponsored]
Emmy Award winning artistMike Perry will be the official Guest Artist forThe OtherArtFair’s return to the Brooklyn Expo Center (72 Noble Street) November 8–11. This Brooklyn-based artist, animator, creative director, brand consultant, poet, and designer — as well as the mastermind behind the animated titles of Comedy Central’s hit television show, Broad City — will present a limited-edition print sold exclusively at the fair with proceeds benefitting Free Arts NYC, the fair’s official charity partner.
The street art doesn’t lie: The Other Art Fair is returning to Brooklyn, popping up May 3–6 at the Brooklyn Expo Center (72 Noble Street) in Greenpoint. This is the third edition of this Other Art Fair, New York’s leading market for a new generation of art buyers that runs biannually in the spring and fall. 130 artists will be featured this spring, and nearly 60% of them are women.
Presented by Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair showcases talented independent and emerging artists, each hand picked by a committee of art world experts. (Unsurprisingly, the event series has a pretty hot Instagram.) Art lovers can visit the fair with confidence that they are buying from the very best and most promising emerging artists in a unique and immersive experience that Time Out has called, “a festival for discovering mind-blowing work by emerging artists.”
In addition to showcasing the best of new painting, photography, sculpture, and light installations by 130 emerging and unrepresented local and international artists (complete roster here, with the artists’ work priced from $250-$5,000), the fair will be abuzz with provocative programming like local guest DJs to keep things at full throttle; mystery tattoos inked by artist Scott Campbell (whose clients include Robert Downey, Jr. Penelope Cruz, and Sting); portrait sketching by Amber Vittoria; a tutorial on how to invest in art under $1000 with tours led by the Saatchi Art curatorial team; and sustenance from Maman Cafe and the Van Leeuwen Mobile ice cream truck parked out front.
Of course, many local artists will be participating and exhibiting. Be sure to catch these Brooklyn-based artists at The Other Art Fair!
Andrea Packard (b. 1984), a fine artist who specializes in portraits and figurative oil paintings from life, was born and raised in Excelsior, Minnesota. She received a BA in Studio Art and Psychology from Connecticut College and additional instruction from The Art Students League of New York, Chelsea Classical Studio and Academia Taure (Barcelona, Spain). She has lived and worked in Chicago and Barcelona and currently resides in Brooklyn, NY.
The Other Art Fair returns for its second US edition to Greenpoint’s own Brooklyn Expo Center (72 Noble St) this week on November 9-12. Presented by Saatchi Art, the fair showcases work by 120 talented emerging artists from Brooklyn and beyond, each hand picked by a committee of art world experts.
Art lovers can visit the fair with confidence that they are buying from the very best and most promising emerging artists in a unique and immersive experience. With artwork prices starting at just $75 there is something for everyone! Alongside the exhibiting artists, visitors can discover exciting an unusual features including live hand poked tattoos by Brooklyn’s Bluestone Babe, The Guardian virtual reality, an engaging talks program by Saatchi Art and a hidden secret bar…
Greenpoint Open Studios (#GOS2017) isn’t the whole art happening in town this weekend. The Other Art Fair, aptly titled, is taking over the Brooklyn Expo Center June 1-4, 2017. Presented by Saatchi Art, this traveling art fair features the very best emerging and undiscovered artists handpicked by a committee of art industry experts.
Greenpointers are invited to the VIP Preview TONIGHT (Thursday, June 1st, 5-9:30pm) and also can attend for FREE from Friday (6/2) to Sunday (6/4)!
*Open Space Alliance Party 4 Parks! @ 35 Kent Ave, 7pm, $200+, Join forces with OSA and the neighborhood’s Super Friends Groups to fight for nature, beauty, health, fun, environmental justice and economic development, Buy tix * DIRTY TALK: Getting What You Want Out of Sex @New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd) 7pm, A hybrid of a panel and creative workshop in collaboration with some amazing women who have various backgrounds and expertise on sex and dating, Buy tix ♫ TAKE It OFF: Amateur Burlesque @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave) 9pm, FREE, Come see the hilarious brilliance of total newbies and first timers taking off their clothes and showing off their moves just for you, RSVP =) 2 Dumbs May @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave) 9pm, FREE, Come see the hilarious brilliance of total newbies and first timers taking off their clothes and showing off their moves just for you, RSVP
♦ The Other Art Fair @ Brooklyn Expo (72 Noble St), 5pm, $13.50+, The Other Art Fair is a leading artist fair presented by Saatchi Art, exhibiting the work of the very best in emerging art to art lovers from all experiences, Buy tix
* Maibock(y) Launch Party! @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave), 6pm, FREE, Dance while DJ Bocky spins some tunes and drink pints of ‘Dance Around the Two Pole Maibock’, a hearty lager using with rye malts and Saphir hops to give it the bright synth-like sparkle, More info # Pioneer Eats Taco Nite @ The Diamond (43 Franklin St), 7pm, Feast your eyes and your tummys Thursday nights this month as we trot the globe from our bar stools, Buy tix
♫ 2 Years of Black Flamingo w/ Tom Noble x DJ Spinna @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl), 10pm, FREE, Two years of community building, show a move on the floor + vibes real right, RSVPContinue reading →
* CB1 Land Use Committee Meeting @ Swinging 60’S Senior Citizens Center (211 Ainslie St), 6:30 pm, FREE, Two Trees will present their plan for the buildings and park at Metropolitan Avenue on the East River to the CB1 Land Use committee, More Info *♫ The Method: Artist Development Workshop @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St) 630pm, FREE, bring your assets (music, video, social media) and walk you through ways you can take your career to the next level, followed by a Q&A, More Info ♫ Wale @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St) 8pm, $30, Buy Tix ^ At The Ink Well Reading Series @ WORD Brooklyn (126 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE – $20, More Info
# Re-Setting the Table: The Future of Chinese Food and Drink in America @ MOFAD Lab (62 Bayard St) 7pm, $25, explore the traditional role of food and alcohol in Chinese culture, and how social and historical circumstances have shaped the way diners encountered it, Buy Tix ☺ Everyone’s A Critic @ Cantina Royal (58 N 3rd St), 730pm, $10, an improv show based on Yelp reviews, Buy Tix ♦ Stereopanorama Returns! @ The City Reliquary (370 Metropolitan Ave), 7pm, $15, immerse yourself in the 1950s through incredible Midcentury 3-D photographs — taken mostly by amateurs with the Stereo Realist Camera system, Buy Tix ♫ Agnes Obel @ National Sawdust (80 N 6th St,) 730pm, $25, Buy TixContinue reading →