First, let’s talk about the “good” – Open Air Saline Hot Tub, Sunlighten Infrared Sauna, thousand square foot garden with a grill, cozy Infrared heated lounge. This kind of respite from the grind is normally a luxury in this fast paced city but for just $50, you can enjoy these amenities right here in the neighborhood. Goodness, located on 114 Greenpoint Ave, is a recent shift from a yoga studio touted as Brooklyn’s oldest, to a bathhouse that “best serves Greenpoint’s needs.”
Indeed, there are no other bathhouses in this part of Brooklyn whereas there are plenty of great yoga classes to choose from, unlike in 2009 when Goodyoga first began. Not only were there far less yoga options, spaces like the “the weird, wondrous ware/guesthouse on Calyer,” where it got its scrappy DIY start, were much more accessible. After growing into a successful multi-location brand, owner Flannery Foster decided to focus her energy on one community here in Greenpoint, where she celebrated 12 years of being in business in 2021.
Although the post-pandemic comeback of Goodyoga was a triumphant return over adversity, Flannery discovered that the landscape changed. “Classpass had destroyed the Independent Yoga Studio model already, but with everyone working from ANYWHERE, there simply weren’t consistent members living in the neighborhood to support us. Not to Mention TEACHERS! Most of the educated, experienced teachers had left town. No one could tell me what the 8 limbs of Yoga were.”
Then after the challenges of Delta and Omicron followed by the summertime exodus of members and staff (“More travel, more houses upstate.”) Flannery surveyed neighbors about how she can offer something different while staying “committed to community as a wellness practice” and that’s how the concept of Goodness was born.
Goodness is a reflection of an evolution in personal and cultural circumstances – More New Yorkers are embracing what the NYT refers to as the LA-ification of the city, prioritizing “self-improvement, self-care, and self-love” while Flannery is now flying solo as the owner and only staff member.
Simplifying the operations was necessary but came with a new set of challenges. When Flannery got sick with the flu followed by COVID, Goodness needed to close for almost 2 months. Compounded by the effects of a dissolved business partnership (and marriage) Goodness needs our help to continue operating.
The good news is that with a rate that starts at $50, you can enjoy the amenities for an affordable rate while supporting a local woman-owned business.
Soak, Sweat and Chill
- $50 10AM-10PM Daily
Monthly unlimited access including all Gooodyoga offerings, 20% of Goodcare services, and Special Events ($299 per month)
Limited Time Discount
Prepay for 6 months in advance for just $1,194, or $199 per month!
If 150 purchases are made by January 31st, one lucky new member will WIN A ROUNDTRIP FLIGHT FOR 2 ON DELTA to anywhere in the continental US prior to February 28th, 2023.
Amenities and Services
- Saline Hot Tub for 6 is open air year round in the thousand square foot garden
- Sunlighten Infrared Sauna for 5, with cushioned seats, Chromotherapy, Acoustic Resonance Therapy and Streaming Video on an Android screen
- They’ve replaced 120 showers with 4 Gallons of water with our Oshiburi Cabinet. Help yourself to Full Size Hot Steamed Towels to wipe off before and after your Goodspa
- Outdoor shower for ColdTherapy
- Private Goodcare therapies like massages in the sun drenched second story balcony suite available at an additional cost
- Inside the cozy Infrared heated lounge, hang out nights and weekends where there are regular film screenings and live musical performances. Co-work, self-practice yoga, meditate during weekdays. Bring friends or make new ones.
- Games are littered about the space to create opportunities for play.
- The Goodspa experience is inherently social, but you can reserve the amenities for solo experiences in 30 minute increments, as well.
- Stay as long as you like. BYO Bathing Suit, but towels, Water (Sparkling or Flat), Coffee, Tea and Rose Petal Infusion are all included.
- Order take out, or BYO Snacks, Beer, Wine. Also 420 friendly.