It’s beginning to look and feel a lot like winter, Greenpointers! Holiday lights were being strung along Greenpoint’s main avenues today just as the wintery air brought a reminder of the season ahead.
It’s also an easy night to keep indoors, but if you venture out there’s a bunch of art to view. Head to the Greenpoint Gallery for another one of their salon-style art shows starting at 7 p.m., or check out The Other Art Fair at the Brooklyn Expo Center.
On Saturday night, the Greenpoint artist collective Lost Retainer is hosting an art exhibition in the soon-to-be demolishes 171 Calyer St.
For more weekend fun, check out what’s happening, and in the meantime catch up on this week’s headlines:
- A fire took more than two hours to contain early Friday at a Greenpoint industrial building near Newtown Creek. (Greenpointers)
- Starting this weekend the alcohol-free bar Getaway (158 Green St.) will become a coffee shop during morning and daytime hours. (Greenpointers)
- The vegan cafe Brooklyn Whiskers will move to a new Greenpoint location on Box Street in 2020. (Greenpointers)
- Meet the director of the Williamsburg gallery space HACO which just celebrated its 2nd anniversary. (Greenpointers)
- Pieroƶek (592 Manhattan Ave.), a new pierogi shop opened Wednesday on Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint. (Greenpointers)
- Permits were filed for a new six-story mixed-use building at 145 Frost St. (NY YIMBY).
- A former NYU professor was charged with a hate crime for smashing a statue at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Williamsburg. (NBC4)
- A minimalistic Portland-based restaurant with 1 menu item is coming to Williamsburg. (Bklyner)
- A new bathhouse opened in Williamsburg complete with a thermal pool. (Vogue)
- A 25-year-old man was shot in front of the Williamsburg Houses. (News 12 Brooklyn)
- Check out the light-up dance floor at the new Williamsburg bar JJ’s Hideaway. (NY Times)