North Brooklyn Boat Club’s First Friday BBQ & Paddling Tonight!
This is the second-to-last first Friday event of the summer at North Brooklyn Boat Club (437 McGuinness Blvd.)! We always have a good time at their events, with a little canoeing and kayaking in Newtown Creek, and afterward there’s a BBQ and fire pit hangout. NBBC is unique to Greenpoint, and not everyone seems to know about it. If you’re in town for Labor Day, you should check ’em out tonight Friday September 2 at 6:30pm.
From their site: “NBBC members! Come hang out at the boatyard after work on the first Friday of every month. We’ll light the fire and watch the world and the water go by! Bring something to drink and food to grill if you want. Let’s kick it boatyard-style!”
This event is for members, and the membership fee is only $40 for the year. The North Brooklyn Boat Club (NBBC) is a nonprofit volunteer-run community organization. Their mission is to promote human-powered boating on and the environmental restoration of the waterways around Greenpoint, Williamsburg, and the rest of North Brooklyn. NBBC strongly depends on member support through annual dues and volunteer participation.
- Paddle with trained NBBC trip leaders
- Learning paddling, navigation and safety skills to assist trip leaders and help get more people involved and on the water
- Become an Official NBBC Paddler process which permits use of club vessels and equipment outside of organized paddles
- Access to their cabin at ACA Camp Lake Sebago on a beautiful lake in Harriman State Park.
- Attending the annual NBBC meeting
- Involvement and investment in NBBC’s work to advocate and facilitate water access, human-powered boating, and environmental restoration of the waterways of North Brooklyn