A Lazy Greenpointer’s Guide to an Easy Thanksgiving at Five Local Spots
Thanksgiving has always been a good excuse to pile on some good ole classic American dishes and stuff myself silly until I can’t move. But I’ve always done all the cooking and this year, I just don’t feel like getting my hands dirty with the Turkey baster. So what does a lazy Greenpointer do on one of the best holidays of the year? Spend it at any of these five local spots, walking distance away.
1) Dirck the Norseman (7 North 15th): Open bar, kids get to eat free, and a portion of each ticket goes towards a good cause. Pretty sweet deal for $50. With its expansive space, fireplace, and yummy food, Dirck never fails to host a good time. It is also the home of delicious craft beer brewed locally by Greenpoint Beer & Ale. The deets: Thanksgiving meal, open bar from 5-9PM, kids under 12 get to eat for free. $10 of each ticket will be generously donated to the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen. RSVP and buy tickets here!
2) Esme (999 Manhattan Ave): Cozy vibe with a touch of upscale without an upscale price tag at $40. Meal starts with a play on their Gem Lettuce Salad dressed up with seasonal veggies. Dinner includes Roasted Turkey Breast, Confit Legs and Thigh Torchon with Buttermilk Biscuit Stuffing, Potato Puree, and Turkey Gravy. Cranberry Sauce, Fennel and Orange Salad, Green Beans Amondine, and Glazed Sweet Potatoes served family style. Pumpkin Pie with Cardamom Whipped Cream for dessert. Seatings at 3PM, 4PM, and 5PM. Email [email protected] or call 718-383-0999 to reserve. More info here.
3) Cassette (113 Franklin St): Recently opened French-Catalonian restaurant is putting a short pause on their regular menu to serve three Thanksgiving American style courses. Starts with Apero and Market Green Salad followed by Heritage Turkey and Roasted Acorn Squash. Housemade Chocolate Mousse and Pumpkin Pie. $45 per person, $20 for children under 13. Seatings at 3:00PM, 5:30PM, and 8PM. Call 347-682-4111 to reserve. (If you’re lucky, you’ll get the little nook with the stained glass window! More info here.
4) Glasserie (95 Commercial St): Serving a tasty assortment of Thanksgiving dishes with a Mediterranean twist. Starts with Autumn Mezze and Poppy Seed Challah followed by Grilled Turkey Breast, Pomegranate Glaze, Crisped Turkey Thigh Toulade, and Bean & Mushroom Pottage. Includes stuffed vegetables, jeweled basmati rice & cranberries. Date & Halva Babka plus Ricotta Pastries, Pistachio & Rose to satisfy your sweet tooth.$65, seating starts at 4PM and ends at 9:30PM. Call 718-389-0640 or email [email protected] to reserve.
5) The Water Table (West St at India St): A little on the pricier side at $95 but you get to be on a boat! Cruise around the East River in a heated vessel while enjoying a hearty New England Thanksgiving dinner. Includes Greenmarket Pretzels and Maple Mustard plus Roasted Sweet and Salty Nuts for snacks. Salad, Organic Turkey & stuffing, Garlic mashed potatoes, Turnips with lemon, Maple glazed squash, Ginger cranberry relish followed by Pumpkin and Apple pie for dessert. 4-7PM. Purchase tickets here.
This lazy Greenpointer is thankful for all these fine food establishments that are open on a sleepy day like Thanksgiving. And for those of us who won’t be slaving away in the kitchen, we can kick it off early! Grand Ferry Tavern is having a Thanksgiving Eve party with half priced oysters & raw bar, 1/2 priced wine bottles, and $20 Grand Ferry burger pre-fixe.