Greenpointers Fall Market Greenpoint Loft (67 West St), Sunday (10/25) 1-7pm, FREE More info
We’re so excited to bring the beautiful Greenpoint Loft alive with our Foliage & Foragers–themed market! It will be a day filled with FREE activities, refreshments, epic local shopping, live music, and, most importantly, the wonderful people of Greenpoint. There will be spicy buttered rum, craft beer, face painting, henna tattoos, tarot cards, 50+ vendors, and more!! RSVP
WEDNESDAY 10/21 * Great Scott! Back to the Future 2@ The Chain Theater (21-28 45th Rd) 7pm, $15, Celebrate Back to the Future‘s 30th anniversary and the year Marty travels to the future with the Usual Rejects, Buy tix ♫ Warper Party@ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave) 8pm, FREE, Two rooms of omnidigital art and music, plus visuals, interactive art, and workshops, RSVP
* The Quirk Thing @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 6pm, FREE, Join Living Quirky NYC to be curious, open-minded, to connect, and to delight in the multi-faceted spectrum of who we are, More info
* Don’t Lose Your Head: The Science Behind Preventing the Zombie Apocalypse @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30pm, $20, Network with other young professionals interested in the environment, wildlife conservation, and public health at this fun and informative event presented by the EcoHealth Alliance Young Professionals Council, Buy tix
WEDNESDAY 9/30 * Voices of Brooklyn: Fathers Beyond Blood @ St. Paul’s Theater (334 South 5th St) 6:30pm, FREE, Hear stories about the men that helped to shape artist and performer Alberto Cortes’ experience while he was growing up in Williamsburg, RSVP ^ Melville House Book Club@ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 6:30pm, FREE, Discuss The Next Next Level, a book about Juiceboxxx, rap, art, fandom and friendship, RSVP
THURSDAY 10/01 # Cheese & Pickle Tasting @ Eastern District (1053 Manhattan Ave) 6pm, FREE, Tastings from Sheila Flanagan of Nettle Meadow Farm and Elena Balletta of Brooklyn Brine, More info * The Pharmacy Project’s Pearl @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer St) 8pm, $16, This performance explores how a name builds strength in character, and the associations it maintains as time goes on, Buy tix
WEDNESDAY 4/29 * Voices of Brooklyn: Between Wolves & Sheep @ Parables (334 Sough 5th St) 7pm, $15 suggested, Soulful vocals and body shakin’ grooves paired with stories of learning what protection truly meant in the of Williamsburg in the 80s and 90s, RSVP ♫ The Hunger (1st Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10, Hungry March Band begins their monthly Matchless residency, this month with Stumblebum Brass Band and Reggay Lords, RSVP * The Strange Journey Through Every Bodega in New York @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd St) 8pm, $15, Obscura Society presents one woman’s odyssey documenting an overlooked but deeply idiosyncratic NYC icon before it disappears, More info
Electric Wildflowers Bloom at the Greenpointers Spring Market @ Greenpoint Loft (67 West St, 5th Fl) 4/26Sunday, 1-7PM, Local shopping and delicious food, plus FREE fun activites: Nail Art, Massages, Face-Painting, and a Photobooth, Music curated by ALT CITIZEN. Refreshments: Strawberry Gincourtesy of Brooklyn Gin, specialty craft beer by Greenpoint Beer & Ale, coffee by Cafe Grumpy. Complimentary chips by Kettle Brands and membership discounts by Enterprise CarShareRSVP
WEDNESDAY 4/22 # Wine & Cheese Tasting @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 5:30pm, $18, A pairing of four Eastern District cheese and four Adelina’s wines, More info ^ Or, the Whale @ Word (126 Franklin St) 6:30pm, FREE, Threadbare Theatre Workshop presents a staged reading of its new adaptation of Moby-Dick, RSVP * Buying into Brooklyn @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30pm, $10, Brooklyn Based presents a crash course on everything you need to know about buying a home in this incredibly competitive market, Buy tix
WEDNESDAY 2/18 # Eastern District Wine & Cheese Tasting @ Adelina’s (159 Greenpoint Ave) 5pm, $18, Pairings of four cheeses and four wines, More info
* Beading on the Loom of Time @ Sacred Arts Research Center (107 Green St) 7pm, $65, Learn the basics of loom beading, a versatile and old technique found all over the world, and create a beadwork piece, More info ♫ The Greenpoint Get-Down @ No 7 North (931 Manhattan Ave) 9pm, FREE, DJ Patrick A. Reed spins classic hip-hop, heavy soul, deep funk, ska, and rocksteady, More info
So, the holidays are a little more than a week away. And you haven’t got zip. Zilch. Here’s some of my favorite gift ideas that are all from local shops. Now, go on and get some sweet gifts. Y’know, so you still look thoughtful and all.
WEDNESDAY 11/12 * NAG’s Community Mapping Series: Air Pollution @ MS 50 Auditorium (183 South 3rd St) 6:30pm, FREE, Learn about local air-pollution-reduction campaigns in the neighborhood (BQE decking, trucking, garbage equity), More info ♫ Education Through Music Benefit@ Rough Trade (64 North 9th St) 7pm, $65, With Jennah Bell / The Dust Rays / J. Period, More info * Color Series: Blue But Not Dead @ Wendy’s Subway (722 Metropolitan Ave) 8pm, FREE, The second installment of the “Color in Film” series, featuring Malá Mořská Víla, the Czech Little Mermaid, and Marguerite Duras’ short film “Les Mains Négatives,” RSVP Continue reading →
Halloween Bash NEW VENUE! @ A.K.A. Bar (759 Grand St) Friday, October 31st , 10pm, $10–$20, Buy tix For two nights, party with no rules. No club dress code. No small, packed space. Just GOOD vibes (and even better music). Costume contest, music from DJ X5Rob and DJ Danny, plus half price on selected draft beers from 9–10pm. Get your tickets now!
WEDNESDAY 10/29 * Bon Voyage Party @ Sunview Luncheonette (221 Nassau Ave) 7pm, FREE, An evening to honor Colette Lumiére and experience a mise-en-sceéne inspired by her incomparable installations, More info
* Obscura Society Presents New York City Bodysnatchers @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd) 8pm, $20, Author Bess Lovejoy discusses the city’s early medical industry, cadavers, and a controversial past, Buy tix ♫ Ho_sacalypse @ The Ho_se (28 Lawton St) 8pm, FREE, With O’ Great North / Kneeling Bus / BRAT PIT / Florida / lots more, RSVP
WEDNESDAY 7/23 * SummerScreen @ McCarren Park (North 12th & Bedford Ave) 6pm, FREE, John Waters’ cult classic Cry-Baby, with music before the film from Man Forever and White Suns, More info * International Film Fest @ Socrates Sculpture Park (32-01 Vernon Blvd) 7pm, FREE, Screening of Umberto D., a neorealist masterpiece from De Sica, More info
* Poker Philanthropy @ TBD Brooklyn (224 Franklin St) 7:30, FREE, Twenty-seat Texas Hold ‘Em tournament to benefit the Wounded Warriors Project, More info
Need some father’s day gift inspiration? There’s plenty of cool stuff to give right here in your own backyard! Here’s a short list of ideas (which is admittedly in no way comprehensive, as there are so many more awesome small businesses here in north Brooklyn, so feel free to add to the list of ideas in the comments section).
1. Tacos, La Norteña / Vamos Al Tequila 2. Fine craft beers, Brouwerij Lane 3. Engraved biz card case, In God We Trust 4. Nice new comb, Chopin Chemists 5. Vintage VHS, The Thing 6. Slice of pizza, Vinnie’s / Franklin Pizza 7. Fine colognes, Old Hollywood 8. Coveralls, Pop’s Popular Clothing 9. Succulants (a.k.a. plants that require minimal care), Homecoming (formerly known as Spina) 10. Donut, Peter Pan 11. Delicious cheeses and Keta candy, Eastern District 12. Sweet shades, Alter 13. A funny old tshirt, People of 2Morrow 14. Fancy and rare spirits, Duke’s Liquor Box 15. Beach tote, M. Carter 16. Pour over coffee maker, Budin 17. A nice rosé, Dandelion Wine 18. Polish chocolates, Slodycze Wedel 19. A whole, fresh fish, Pura Vida Stand at McCarren Park Greenmarket 20. Stool for sitting and pondering, Bklyn Curated 21. Basketball, BQ Sports 22. Cool kicks, Wolves Within 23. Vintage vinyl, Permanent Records / Academy Records / Co-op 87 / Records Grouch 24. Portable bike pump and other biking accessories, Silk Road Cycles / B’s Bikes / Greenpoint Bikes 25. Bobbers and other fishing accessories, Dream Fishing Tackle 26. Polish sausages, smoked meats, and pickles, Nassau Meat Market / Mazur Meak Market (and so many more!) 27. A good book, like this one about the Pogues, Word.