Prepare to fall in love!The Greenpointers Vintage Rose Valentine’s Market is happening THIS Sunday, February 10 from 1-7pm at The Greenpoint Loft (67 West Street), and there’s going to be plenty of fun things to do including getting TWO FREE drinks courtesy of Cinch! Be transported to a simpler time (before swiping right) with 60+ vendors, live music, locally made refreshments, and FREE activities for (literally) everyone including henna tattoos, nail art, poetry, flower crown making, dream catcher workshops, 3D avatar creation, and more~ Whether you need a gift to sweep that special someone off their feet or just want to get your DIY on, mark this on your calendar and don’t miss it! Free to enter! RSVP HERE!
# Zaitoun: A Conversation with Yasmin Khan and Kerry Diamond @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $35, Olives, peace and Palestinian cooking. Book signing and small bites to follow, Buy Tix ♫ Limited Resources 26 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 9pm, $10 donation, Monthly experimental series, More Info ☺ “Hey” Comedy Show @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ DatKat ◡ Lostcat ◡ Lilei ◡ xxx1990 @ Jupiter Disco (1237 Flushing Ave.), 10pm, FREE, More Info
♦ Line & Label x Moon Void Tarot Card Readings! @ Line and Label (568 Manhattan Ave.), 4pm, FREE, More Info ♦ RISO PRINTING WORKSHOP @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 6:30pm, $85, make custom prints using A/D/O’s in-house Risograph printer. Buy Tix # Dinner with Sohui Kim of Korean Home Cooking @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $50, Brooklyn restaurateur Sohui Kim of The Good Fork and Insa is cooking up a large Korean famliy style meal from her new cookbook KOREAN HOME COOKING: Classic and Modern Recipes, Buy Tix ♦ Triskelion Arts Presents: Mei Yamanaka @ Triskelion (106 Calyer St.), 8pm, $18, an evening of dance, Buy TixContinue reading →
♫ Sonoro x Pragmatik w/ Daylomar[Unleash London] @ 101Brooklyn (134 Metropolitan Ave.), 6pm, FREE, 2-for-1 drinks 6-7pm, music all night, More Info * The Five Elements Within: Connecting With Your Body’s Road Map @ Anima Mundi (31 Noble St.), 7pm, $35-140, a 5-element workshop series, Buy Tix ♫ Daddy Issues, Leggy, Desert Sharks @ Baby’s Alright (146 Broadway.), 8pm, $12-14, Buy Tix ♦ We’re Going to Eat You (1980) by Tsui Hark @ Spectacle Theater (124 S. 3rd), 10pm, $5, Hong Kong New Wave fantasy, Buy Tix
* Public Visoning for Bushwick Inlet Park Design @ Bushwick Inlet Park Building (86 Kent Ave.), 6pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Laraaji, Rachika S @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 7pm, $15-18, Buy Tix ^♫ NationalSawdust+: Paul Muldoon’s “Against the Grain” @ National Sawdust (80 North 6th), 7:30pm, $29-34, Literary music series, Buy Tix ♫ FYRN – bowed guitar quartet @ Arete Venue and Gallery (67 West St #103.), 8:30pm, $15, More InfoContinue reading →
Saturday 12/15 – Sunday 12/16: The A/D/O Supermarket @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 12pm-7pm, FREE, A/D/O’s holiday market returns! The two-day market will feature a unique curation of gifts from publishers, designers and artists exploring where art meets design and utility. Artists and designers will be on site selling apparel, design objects, home goods, books and jewelry. Both nights, A/D/O will host special events and exhibit works by Elena Parasco and Anthony Jamari Thomas. Refreshments provided from 4:00 – 7:00pm each day, more info [Sponsored]
#^ Taste Makers: A Conversation with Paul Freedman and Mayukh Sen @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $30, book discussion + tasting, Buy Tix # Where’s Our Beer: End-Of-Year Happy Hour @ Greenpoint Beer and Ale (7 North 15th St.), 6:30pm, FREE, socialize, celebrate and look to the year ahead, RSVP ^ Seth Meyers and Amber Ruffin book signing @ Quimby’s (536 Metropolitan Ave.), 8:30pm, FREE, Note: to meet Seth and Amber you must buy a copy of the book. More Info ♫ 1s, 2s, and 3s: Round Robin Improvisations @ Arete Venue + Gallery (67 West St. #103), 9:30pm, $15, acoustic improv pieces, more info
* Offshore Holiday Party and Fundraiser @ Sunview Lunchnet (221 Berry St.), 6pm, $20 donation includes 2 free drinks, supports artists’ residency program, More Info ♫ Radio Free Brooklyn’s Holiday Party @ Braven Brew Company (52 Harrison Pl.) 7pm, FREE, $10 suggested donation, 2 free beers with RSVP, RSVP ♫ Manono Nights @ Magick City (37 Box St.), 8pm, $5, Buy Tix ♫ Phosphorescent Live in Brooklyn w/ Liz Cooper & The Stampede @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 9pm, $27.50, Buy TixContinue reading →
♦ Meadowlands, Tales & Rocks @ Plexus Projects (198 Greenpoint Ave. #1), 6pm, FREE, The exhibited works trace imaginary landscapes at the crossroads of personal stories, scientific theories, and tales of the Meadowlands, the transformed NJ swamps west of Manhattan, More Info * The Art of Transmission with Maestro Manuel Rufino @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St.), 7pm, donation $10-20, sacred songs and shamanic knowledge, Buy Tix ♦ Ken Brown’s Selected Short Films @ Quimby’s Bookstore (536 Metropolitan Avenue), 8pm, FREE, This collection of shorts will focus on NYC with films going back to the early 90s, More Info. ♫ Devon Welsh, Foxes In Fiction @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 8pm, $12, Buy Tix * TRIVIA NIGHT!!!!!!! @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, join our News Editor for Trivia Night!!!! Win food, win beer, claim the title of Greenpoint Trivia Champ!!! More Info
# SALO Series: No Forks Given Tour @ Space Ninety 8 (98 North 6th St.), 7pm, $67, Featuring a Global Filipino Dinner with a Seasonal Summer Menu by SALO SERIES chef Yana Gilbuena, Buy Tix ♫ Insight | Janeret/ Maksim in The Panther Room @ The Panther Room (74 Wythe Ave.), 10pm, FREE, Buy Tix * Summer Nights: Herbs for Cooling and Clearing @ Anima Mundi (35 Noble St.), 7pm, $40, Buy Tix ♫ Dirty Thursday: New Wave Night @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
♫ Wha U Think Eye Rap 4? @ GAMBA Forest (17 Division Pl), 8pm, FREE, Join the most cutting edge emcees at the forefront of the NYC indie hip-hop scene and for a lively discussion where they get to express their POV about craft, culture and where hip-hop actually lives today, More info ☺ Wee Winged Wonders @ Vital Joint (109 Meserole St), 8pm, $5, An Evening of Comedy About Bees and Butterflies and That’s It. Hosted by Joe Rumrill and Andrew Tisher, More info ♫ Kali Masi, Language, My Kind of Fire, Make August Count @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 8pm, $8, Buy tix
♫ Rainer Maria, The Van Pelt, Gold Dime @ Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 7pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Orrin, That Boy Miles, Warren Wolfe, SHUG @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $8, *also* free beer from The Bronx Brewery, Buy tix ♫ Lola Kirke, Breanna Barbara, Hannah Read, Melodie Stancato @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Cuddle Magic, Tigue, Tōth @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Quantic residency with DJ Taye @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $10, Quantic’s Good Room residency will be a homestead for playing his own unique sound of tropical-soul and electronic polyrhythm as well as championing future sounds & past obscurities, Buy tixContinue reading →
* Superfun/d Series @ Kings County Brewers Collective (381 Troutman St), 6pm, FREE, Learn about the latest happenings on our local superfund waterway: Newtown Creek. Will include a brief presentation reviewing the current state of the Creek including larger clean-up efforts and grassroots projects, More info ♫ Social Sounds feat. Johnny Petrop, Trey Nostalgia, and more! @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7:30pm, FREE, More info * Trivia Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 8pm, FREE, There will be three rounds + a lightning round, but only one epic trophy. Win Beer! Win Rice Balls! Win Cookies! More info * Blue Blood Supermoon Eclipse Experience @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave), 8:15pm, $40, Skywatchers across much of the world will receive a post holiday gift: the total lunar eclipse of a full supermoon that is also a Blue Moon, Buy tix ♫ Megg Farrell & Friends @ Skinny Dennis (152 Metropolitan Ave), 9pm, FREE, More info
# Dinners of the Past: Beefsteak @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $65, In conjunction with chef Josh Stokes and food entrepreneur Franz Aliquo, we’re bringing back this historic, stylized New York City institution of gluttony with an evening of all-you-can-eat steak & all-you-can-drink beer, Buy tix ♦ Alizé Carrère presents Adaptation: Bangladesh @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, Alizé Carrère documents her case studies in the web series Adaptation, revealing human ingenuity and resourcefulness in the face of environmental adversity, RSVP ☺ Branded Content Presents: Russell Stover @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, Celebrate of life, love, and nougat, brought to you by Russel Stover Candies, More info ♫ SYNTHICIDE // 80s to the maxx edition @ Bossa Nova Civic Club (1271 Myrtle Ave), 10pm, FREE, Fog machines & laser rays, More infoContinue reading →
Start the new year off right by giving you a 20% discount on drinking unlimited craft brew and celebrating the best the borough has to offer at the Best of Brooklyn Food and Beer Festival at Industry City this Saturday, January 27th!
Tickets normally start at just $39.00 per session for unlimited beer tastings, but readers who enter discount code “GREENPOINTERS” on the ticket selection page will save 20% on admission. [sponsored]
♫ Happy Hour w/ Shapank (Birthday Set) @ Terra Firma (119 Ingraham St), 6pm, FREE, More info * Dyeing with Nature @ Better Than Jam’s (20 Grattan St), 6:30pm, $65, Learn to properly prep your fabrics, use natural materials to get lasting colors, and how to use modifiers to change shades or fix your work, Buy tix ♫ Belle Game, Rodes Rollins, Noy Markel @ Zone One at Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 8pm, $12, Buy tix ♫ Radio Wonderland, D-Andra, Elle Pierre, Dark Alley Echoes RTFM @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, FREE, More info
# Burns Night @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $30, Enjoy bagpipes, haggis (vegetarian included) and other Scottish delicacies, a guided Scottish whisky tasting courtesy of Johnnie Walker, and Robert Burns poetry recitations, Buy tix * Spirit Book Club: Braiding Sweetgrass @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $10, Focus: The awakening of a wider ecological consciousness requires the acknowledgement and celebration of our reciprocal relationship with the world, RSVP ♫ The Sharp Shadows / Kangaroo / Glass Tactics / New Restaurants @ Gutter Bar (200 N 14th St), 8pm, $7, More info ♫ Roxiny, On High, Weak Signal @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, FREE, More infoContinue reading →
♫ Momentum/Rite of Wed: Bodywork / Hunter Vita / Nathan Kersaint @ TBA Brooklyn (395 Wythe Ave), 6pm, FREE, More info * Kokrobitey Institute Talk @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave), 7pm, FREE, Elise McMahon and Sekou Neblett discuss their work together in Ghana surrounding how art and design play a role in the midst of a global discourse around sustainable development, RSVP * Kundalini Flow with Dani Katz @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $20, Exercise your body, mind, and spirit, open your channels, and live in a state of flow, RSVP ♫ Limited Resources 13 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 9pm, $6, Our one year anniversary show! Featuring the soothing sounds of Chris Pitsiokos (Sax Destroyer), Tim Dahl (Bass Wrangler), and Kevin Shea (Drum Machine), More info
^ “The Woman in the Window” Book Launch @ Space Ninety 8 (98 N 6th St), 6:30pm, FREE, “The Woman in the Window” is a twisty, Hitchcockian psychological thriller about an agoraphobic woman who believes she witnessed a crime in a neighboring house, More info ☺ Branded Content Presents: PETCO @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, We’ll be wearing Louis Vuitton Leashes, serving complimentary milk bones, and presenting comedy, More info ♫ Frendzone! // Dorisburg (live) / Octo Octa / Kellam Matthews @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ The Juan MacLean & Friends January Residency @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ An All Star Tribute to ACDC at Brooklyn Bowl @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $12, Buy tixContinue reading →
Join EcoHealth Alliance’s Young Professionals Council at the Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) on Thursday, Oct. 19th starting at 7:30pm for a deep dive into how diseases are spread and a demonstration of the latest in technology used to stop diseases in their tracks.
Brooklyn Oktoberfest comes to The Greenpoint Terminal Warehouse (67 West St) this weekend (10/20-10/22) with an authentic Munich festival tent, complete with Bavarian blue & white decorations, live music, German dancers, ceremonial keg tapping, sausages, roast port, pretzels, and rare limited edition German beer! Greenpointers get $10 off tix! Buy yours here with discount code “Greenpoint”.
* Trauma & Tension Release for Inner Peace @ Narayana Yoga Project (191 Nassau Ave), 6:30pm, $45, This workshop will teach you a fascinating approach to trauma, our bodies and our emotions. You will receive take-home tools and practical information from Yoga Therapy and other forms of trauma releasing work, Buy tix # Istanbul and Beyond with Robyn Eckhardt @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $25, Istanbul & Beyond documents regional cuisines and life in the villages, cities, farms, and high pastures of the lesser-known provinces throughout Turkey, Buy tix * Lunation Kundalini Shakti Transmission New Moon In Libra @ Golden Drum (97 Green St), 7:30pm, $25, This New Moon is the perfect energy as the double air energy creates more space for our creativity to flow into the Earth Realm, Buy tix ♫ Chorizo Slim and The Boogie Blues Band @ TROOST (1011 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, FREE, Chorizo Slim returns to team up with Stan Zenkoff, Charles Bennet, and Daniel Goldshtein to play their own style of 40’s/50’s Rhythm & Blues and Boogie Woogie, More info
* Energizing and Focusing Morning Qi Gong @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 8am, $10, This morning class will focus on Qi massage and movement practices aimed at waking up your body and balancing your mind. No experience necessary, More info * New Moon Sound Bath with Reiki Healing @ Magick City (37 Box St), 6:30pm, $44, During this Sound Bath Meditation we will help you to harmonize your dreams with your mind, body and spirit by taking you deeper into your own intuitive guidance, Buy tix ♦ Karrabing Film Collective’s Night Time Go + Inaat/se/ @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, We are lucky to have the Karrabing Collective in town for a night of documentary that blends the nuanced, overt, and specific ways the colonialized have and continue to resist, Buy tix ♫ Aerial Ruin, Blacksage, Nighttime @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave), 8pm, $10, Aerial Ruin, based in Portland, Oregon is the primarily acoustic solo project of Erik Moggridge whose “richly evocative dark folk style makes for a head-in-hand listening experience, Buy tix ♫ Zula (EP Release), Combo Chimbita, Erica Eso, Frank Hurricaine @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $10, Buy tix Continue reading →
Local photographer and director Jackie Roman has been documenting the changing culture and cityscape of our East River waterfront for more than a decade. This Friday evening (7-10pm) at Quimby’s Bookstore (536 Metropolitan Ave), she will be showing large 16×20 and 11×17 prints from her ongoing project, which depicts street scenes and cityscapes of the rapidly developing Greenpoint waterfront.
She describes her images, saying: “A vista of Manhattan’s skyline taken from the roof of a factory building on Clay St. in 2010 is framed by trees, years before construction would begin on the “Greenpoint Landing,” a dramatic mega-complex of ten residential towers. A photo taken from the India St. ferry landing shows the single-story Huxley Envelope Factory—it contrasts with an abstract of the same site taken during the construction of a 40-story mixed-use condo building. These pictures, and others on display, are supplemental to the book Old Domino which documents the closings of DIY music and cultural spaces around the neighborhood’s historic Domino Sugar Refinery.”