♫ MUNYA, Hideout, Pueblo @ Zone One Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave.), 7pm, $10-12, Buy Tix * A Wild West Murder Mystery Experience @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $25, an 1870 whodunnit, Buy Tix ♫ Mother of Mars, Phyllis & Aristotle, Chuck Bettis @ Magick City (37 Box St.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix ♫ Ilegal Wednesday: 2 Katies DJ Night @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave), 9pm, FREE, More Info
♦ Wave. Particle. Duplex. by Studio SWINE Public Opening @ A/D/O (29 Norman.), 6pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Japanese Breakfast @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.) 7pm, $23, Buy Tix ♦ Art Hole’s First Birthday Party! @ Art Hole at Rubulad (Bushwick), 7:30pm, $15-20, Figure Drawing, Buy Tix ♫ Wonderwheel Recordings 15 in NYC w/ El Búho, Nickodemus & more @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, $10-15, Buy TixContinue reading →
Saturday 12/15 – Sunday 12/16: The A/D/O Supermarket @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 12pm-7pm, FREE, A/D/O’s holiday market returns! The two-day market will feature a unique curation of gifts from publishers, designers and artists exploring where art meets design and utility. Artists and designers will be on site selling apparel, design objects, home goods, books and jewelry. Both nights, A/D/O will host special events and exhibit works by Elena Parasco and Anthony Jamari Thomas. Refreshments provided from 4:00 – 7:00pm each day, more info [Sponsored]
#^ Taste Makers: A Conversation with Paul Freedman and Mayukh Sen @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $30, book discussion + tasting, Buy Tix # Where’s Our Beer: End-Of-Year Happy Hour @ Greenpoint Beer and Ale (7 North 15th St.), 6:30pm, FREE, socialize, celebrate and look to the year ahead, RSVP ^ Seth Meyers and Amber Ruffin book signing @ Quimby’s (536 Metropolitan Ave.), 8:30pm, FREE, Note: to meet Seth and Amber you must buy a copy of the book. More Info ♫ 1s, 2s, and 3s: Round Robin Improvisations @ Arete Venue + Gallery (67 West St. #103), 9:30pm, $15, acoustic improv pieces, more info
* Offshore Holiday Party and Fundraiser @ Sunview Lunchnet (221 Berry St.), 6pm, $20 donation includes 2 free drinks, supports artists’ residency program, More Info ♫ Radio Free Brooklyn’s Holiday Party @ Braven Brew Company (52 Harrison Pl.) 7pm, FREE, $10 suggested donation, 2 free beers with RSVP, RSVP ♫ Manono Nights @ Magick City (37 Box St.), 8pm, $5, Buy Tix ♫ Phosphorescent Live in Brooklyn w/ Liz Cooper & The Stampede @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 9pm, $27.50, Buy TixContinue reading →
NEXT SUNDAY (December 2nd, 1-7PM)! Forecast calls for a snow flurry of fun inside the beautiful Greenpoint Loft (67 West Street) at our Polar Vortex Holiday Market with 60+ of the most talented makers and purveyors of handcrafted goods and gifts for all of your Holiday Gifting needs! FREE fun activities include Massages, Henna, Nail Art, and interactive hologram experience with Looking Glass Factory! Plus there will be live music and delicious Mulled Wine! More info and RSVP here!
*#NYC Together Thanksgiving @ Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave.), 11am, FREE, a potluck Thanksgiving for kids and cops. You can sign up to bring a dish! Sign up ♫ Stray From The Path, Silent Planet, Kublai Khan, Greyhaven @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 7pm, $18, Buy Tix ♫ Thank You For Everything! @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ Tiki Disco Thanksgiving Eve @ Output (74 Wythe Ave.), 10pm, $20, Buy Tix
# Community Thanksgiving @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 11am, FREE, join the community and also drop off new or gently used coats, more info # 6th Annual Orphans Thanksgiving @ Greenpoint Beer and Ale (7 N. 15th St.) 5pm, $65, meal + unlimited beer/wine, bring deserts to share, $10 from every ticket donated to the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen, Buy Tix ♥ Cuffed Up: A Singles Party – Thanksgiving Edition @ Turkey Nest Tavern (94 Bedford Ave.), 7pm, FREE, RSVP ♫ Bumsgiving!!!! – Cult 23 @ Bizzare Bar (12 Jefferson St.), 8pm, suggested donation $10+, alien goddess theme, RSVPContinue reading →
Brooklyn’s A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) is currently showcasing the Solar Panel Art Series, which features 12 original works by New York-based artists on repurposed solar panels, with proceeds benefitting the Little Sun Foundation’s “solar schools” program in Rwanda.
Solar panels used as mediums in the Brooklyn show were provided by DUMBO-based solar manufacturer Pvillion; the panels are no longer functional as energy harvesters.
Abou Aboughazala, project manager of the art series, describes the project as “an international social art initiative seeking to promote art as a tool for change and use it to foster a more sustainable and conscious global community.”
The solar panel art is currently on display at A/D/O until Nov. 20, with a chance that the show will be extended for an additional week. The bidding is open online until Nov. 27 via auction house Paddle8.
The art series was originally started by The Beam, a Berlin-based tri-annual publication covering green tech, and their neighbors happened to be working on sustainability issues, sparking the project. “The Little Sun Foundation’s offices are actually down the street from our offices in Berlin,’ Aboughazala said.
“The idea of the Solar Panel Art Series came as a way for us to use it as a tool for positive change while generating impact, which is why we partnered with Little Sun Foundation. With the proximity of their offices to ours and us liking the work they do, we approached them and they jumped on board,” he said.
Tech Open Air hosted the first solar exhibition in 2017 in Berlin, and the Greenpoint opening marks the first solar panel show in the U.S. for the organization.
“We had some artists I curated that we had previously been in touch with. Those were Edward Granger and Felipe Pantone. And then the remaining artists were selected and approached by a local curator in New York, Georgia Frances King,” Aboughazala said. Greenpoint-based artist Paul Richard, curated by COALITION, also participated in the project, creating two of his signature drip paintings.
“We are going to be in L.A. for our next U.S. edition to take it to the other side of the U.S.,” Aboughazala said, with a target date set for mid-2019.
^ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn | 75th Anniversary Party @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St.), 5pm, FREE, Special guests Amy Lyons, artist of the HarperCollins 75th Anniversary edition cover, and the family of Betty Smith–along with contemporary authors–help celebrate a book that, according to The New Yorker, “deserves to be thought of as one of the greatest American novels,” RSVP * An Ecological History of the Bushwick Inlet and its Environment @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 7pm, FREE, With the continued development of Williamsburg and Greenpoint along the East River shore, it’s hard to imagine that Brooklyn was once a thriving wetland, with winding streams carrying freshwater running right below our feet, More Info ♦ Machine//Body @ Arete Gallery (67 West St. #103), 8pm, $10-15, sound and movement, space and architecture, More Info ♫ How To Dress Well, Baltra @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, $20, Buy Tix
* Los Sures Thanksgiving Dinner @ First Spanish Presbyterian Church (157 S. 3rd St.), 6pm, FREE, communal dinner and turkey raffle, more info ♦ Advent Kickoff | Potluck Supper + Opening Reception @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 6pm, FREE, art exhibit and potluck, More Info ♫ The Travelin’ McCourys @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Mercury Program and Square Peg Round Hole @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $12-15, Buy TixContinue reading →
* URBAN-X Panel Discussion: Exploring The Future of Affordable Housing @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE, RSVP * 94 Precinct Community Council Meeting @ St. John’s Lutheran Church (155 Milton St.), 7pm, FREE,More Info ♫ Afroperuano Group (Live Recording Video) Free Pisco Tasting @ Scholes St. Studio (375 Lorimer St.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ C Z A R I N A, Bunny X, Turbo Goth, Valentine @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix
♫ Goldie Awards 2nd Annual DJ & Beat Battle @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 6pm, $25, Buy Tix ♦ Art Opening: Brett Satterlund & Friends @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) 6pm, FREE, Photography Exhibit, More Info ^ An Evening with Michael Lally & Lonely Christopher @ Brooklyn’s House of Kava (238 Central Ave.), 7pm, FREE, an evening of poetry and chatting, more info ♫ BRIC After Dark: Gala After Party @ Brooklyn Navy Yard (63 Flushing Ave.), 9pm, $75+, Buy TixContinue reading →
Saturday, September 23rd, 2-6PM @Greenpoint Beer & Ale (7 North 15th St) Come enjoy unlimited blue claw crab for 90 minutes served with potatoes and corn, topped with KnicKnacksbk special seasoning. And what goes better with crabs than beer – which is available a la carte (extra cost). Find a session that fits you and join us so you can eat all you can! Tickets will sell out fast, don’t be the one to miss out again! Buy tix [Sponsored]
* Yom Kippur @The Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave), 10am, FREE, Join the Chabad of North Brooklyn for Yom Kippur services with Hebrew-English prayer books and insights in the the many Holiday prayers throughout. Yom Tov! More Info * Yoga for Witches @Catland (987 Flushing Ave), 6:30pm, $15, Tarot-inspired yoga class designed to heal and hone your magical intuition and manifestation. Bring your own mat, Buy tix ♦ Sundance Kidd at Two Boots @ Two Boots Williamsburg (558 Driggs Ave), 7pm, FREE, Local photographer Sundance Kidd showcases work from close to 1000 shots he took between going to shows, private work, and also working for LEAP NYC. Pay as you wish pricing for prints. 100% of art sales will be donated to a non-profit that focuses on music education for youth. FREE beer from 8-8:30PM, RSVP ♦ Napoleon Dynamite Screening @ Bushwick Inlet Popup Outdoor Cinema (50 Kent Ave), 8pm, FREE,Join Friends of Bushwick Inlet Park for an outdoor movie screening of classic indy deadpan comedy NAPOLEON DYNAMITE in view of the majestic Gotham City skyline! More Info
Brooklyn Comedy Festival Closing Weekend begins on Thursday, September 20th and runs through Sunday, September 23rd. @Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave) with multiple stages featuring podcasts, film, stand-up, panels, and more! Buy tix and learn more.
♫ Caché | Afro House Sunset @The Roof (74 Wythe Ave), 5pm, No Cover, Close this summer strong with some Afro House, More Info # DIY Vegan Cheese with Contraband Ferments @ Anima Mundi Apothecary (31 Noble St) 7pm, $40, Learn to make your own dairy free and probiotic rich nut-based cheeses. Basic principles behind making cheese using a variety of nuts and seeds plus basic skills in fermentation, the history behind fermentation, and a variety of ways to make soft and hard rind cheeses, Buy tix ^ Pete’s Reading Fall Season Opener @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St), 7:30pm, FREE, Four remarkable readers, and a special benefit for RAICES, The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services. Come hear them read, then linger to chat, drink, and pick up their books, More info ♦ Still/Here @ UnionDocs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, NYC premiere of Christopher Harris’ film, still/here . Harris paints a portrait of civic neglect and apathy in his hometown of St Louis’s northside neighborhoods that are inhabited by almost exclusively working class and working poor black and African American populations, Buy tixContinue reading →
♦ The Pantsuit Party: The September Issue @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 6pm, FREE, donations encouraged, THML theater company hosts a night of networking, cocktails, guest presentations and a chance to show your stuff during the open mic portion More Info ^ Big Words, Etc: A Reading & Fundraiser for Raices @ 61 Local (61 Bergen St.), 6pm, $5 suggested, More Info ♦ Design & Research Seminar: On Peers, Superpowers and Cyborgs. @ A/D/O (29 Norman Avenue), 6:30pm, $10, Featuring Neil Harbisson, a Cyborg Artist who listens to colors through an antenna implanted in his skull, Buy Tix * Trivia Night 1 Year Anniversary!!!! @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, Join our News Editor for Trivia! Tonight’s game marks a year of Trivia at Archestratus! Win food, drinks, cookies, or a full meal and bragging rights! More Info
♦ Art Opening: Simon Linnert @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave.) 7pm, FREE, Photography. More Info ♫ Best Worst Talent Show! @ The House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Avenue) 7pm, FREE, More Info ♦ Art Hole Presents: Femme du Soir @ Rubulad (Location w/ RSVP), 7:30pm, $10, Enjoy some drinks and get your doodle on with a live figure model, more infoContinue reading →
♦ SummerScreen: This Is Spinal Tap @ McCarren Park (North 12th and Bedford), doors at 6, film at sundown, FREE, More Info ♫ PUNK BLACK NY Festival Edition @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 6pm, $11-15, Buy Tix ^ King Lear | Shakespeare in the Popup Park @ Bushwick Inlet Park (50 Kent Avenue) 7:30pm, FREE, More Info ♫ WOMEN of NY Edition: w/ Free The Mind, Leslie Graves &More @ Wonders of Nature (131 Grand St.), 8pm, FREE, more info
* Peruvian Psychedelia (Dance Class) @Mayday Space (176 St. Nicholas Ave.) 7pm, $7-10, More Info ♦ Stranger Than Paradise with a Shot of Jack @ Videology (308 Bedford Avenue) 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♦ You Look Good (Ugly) Opening Party @ Lucas Lucas (57 Conselyea Street), 7pm, FREE, Visual scenarios of love, lust, sex, envy and social anxieties followed by cocktails and a jam session, More Info ♦ A Multisensory Performance Presented by 4th Wall @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 10:30pm, $30, Buy Tix Continue reading →
♦ 100s Under 100 #show-n-tell IRL R5 @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 7pm, donation, cross-disciplinary show-n-tell series with proceeds going to People of Creativity, RSVP * Total Lunar Eclipse Sound Bath @ Magick City (37 Box St.), 7pm, $21-33,Breath. Movement. Sound. Meditation. Buy Tix * CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER – All’s Well That Ends Well | Shakespeare in the Popup Park @ Bushwick Inlet Park (50 Kent Ave.), 7:30pm, FREE, the Bard’s in Brooklyn, RSVP * TRIVIA NIGHT @ Archestratus Books and Foods (160 Huron St.), 8pm, FREE, It’s TRIVIA NIGHT!!!!!! Join our news editor for Greenpoint’s best monthly trivia game. Play to win food, booze and sweets! Compete for the title of ULTIMATE TRIVIA CHAMP!!!!! It’s so much fun!! RSVP
♦ Electric Diner @Diner (85 Broadway.) 6pm, FREE, Fabric Installation by Amanda Browder with food and drink outdoors, More info ^ Green Series: Andrew Blackwell on Reclaiming Polluted Spaces. @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St.) 6:30pm, FREE, travel writing about environmental disaster areas, RSVP ♫ So Called People, The LoveHowl, Glass Lungs, Inrod @ Tender Trap (66 Greenpoint Ave.), 7:30pm, $8, More Info