Edouard Massih, the owner of local Lebanese market Edy’s Grocer (136 Meserole Ave.), recently announced that he is working on his first cookbook, titled KEEP IT ZESTY, which will hit shelves in 2024.
While fans wait for the cookbook, Massih has shared his recipe for a “summery” treat he calls Rosey Fig and Ricotta Cake. See his recipe below.
Find last week’s Community Cookbook recipe here.
Edy’s Rosey Fig and Ricotta Cake
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1.5 cups of semolina flour
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of ricotta
- 1/2 cup of fig jam
- 1 tablespoon of rosewater
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of dried figs, chopped
- 5-6 fresh figs, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Brown sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Line a 9” cake pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the semolina flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, ricotta, and rosewater until smooth. Fold into dry ingredients until fully combined and batter is formed.
- In a small pan over low heat, melt the butter until soft. Mix in the fig jam and dried figs until fully combined.
- Fold melted butter, dried fig, and fig jam mixture into the cake batter and mix.
- Scrape cake batter into the oiled cake pan and place thinly sliced figs on the top of the cake. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and brown sugar to taste.
- Bake cake for 35-45 minutes at 350° until golden brown.
- Let cool at least 20 minutes. ENJOY!