The Greenpoint Savings Bank Annex has been rebranded as “The Helm” (1080 Lorimer St.) and is undergoing redevelopment, as 29 one-to-three bedroom “luxury residences” hit the market this fall, ranging in price from “$1 million to over $2.5 million,” according to a promo from NewDevNYC.
According to the sales preview description that lists MNS as the agent, The Helm “will receive a one-story rooftop addition and a small horizontal expansion to accommodate the residences.”
On the lower levels, there will be duplex townhouse-style units and the second and third floors will have nine units.
Directly across the street, a proposed development at 171 Calyer St. , which is also within the Greenpoint Historic District, will bring a large-scale apartment building and ground-floor retail.
The 171 Calyer St. development will face the Landmarks Preservation Commission which also signed off on the bank annex conversion in May 2016.
The conversion plan for the bank annex was designed by Robert Bianco of PKSB Architects and according to the firm’s website: “The design includes a complete façade replacement which utilizes simple materials recalling the historic building’s decorative features while maintaining the simplicity of the 1950’s addition.”
Private terraces are planned for the fourth-floor addition of the Helm with four units.
Amenities at the new development are listed as including “indoor and outdoor recreation space,” a separate exercise room, and storage space.
Slate had purchased the building in 2015 along with the bank annex for $15.2 million and retained the annex for the redevelopment.
The Greenpoint Savings Bank institution was founded in 1868, and opened for business in 1869 on Franklin Street. It occupied several different locations through the late 19th century, and finally settled into the 1906 Neo Classical structure on Manhattan Avenue and Noble Street where it can be found today. The dome is shingled in fish scale pattern, much as the Pantheon would have appeared today, had the bronze not been stolen in medieval times.
The building was designed by acclaimed architects Helmle & Huberty, proteges of famous NY architects McKim, Mead, and White. It is currently home to a Capitol One.