On a global scale, this year’s Earth Day marks a significant point in climate-change combat as world leaders including President Obama and Chinese president Xi Jinping, gather at the United Nations headquarters in New York City to sign the Paris Climate Agreement, attempting to keep global temperatures rising above 2 degrees celsius compared to pre-industrial levels. Thanks, guys!
And while historic world-wide initiatives are being considered, here are some ways we can get in on the action in our own neighborhood.
- TODAY from 4pm-6PM you can join the NYC Eco-Schools and Greenpoint Eco-Schools in the Brooklyn Sustainability Coordinator Gathering, specifically celebrating the sustainability initiatives with Greenpoint’s teachers, students, parents and schools. This is a FREE gathering open to formal and non-formal educators across NYC and members of the Greenpoint community.
2. Grab your crew, your posse, your family, or just your lonesome and head to Transmitter Park for Greenpoint’s INSTAMEET, co-hosted by Greenpointers and Edoardo Monti on FRIDAY April 22nd at 6:30PM. This is part of the WorldWide Instameet’s #LifeOnEarth celebration.
3. If hashtags aren’t really your thing, trot over to Newton Creek for an Earth Day Nature Walk, and learn about the the city’s wastewater treatment in one of the most infamously polluted industrial waterways in the US, all the while enjoying the inspired sculptures of artist George Trakas. Meet at the big picnic tables on the Whale Creek side at 6:30pm this FRIDAY.
4. Learn how you can help green Greenpoint through GCEF’s 30+ environmental projects on Saturday, April 30th from 10am-noon at The Warsaw on Driggs Avenue. They’re looking for neighbors just like you to make things happen.
5. Keep up the Earth Day momentum NEXT MONTH, on a Guided Tree Walk in McGolrick Park. Along the way you’ll learn the variety of tree species in the green haven, and discover the Greening Greenpoint movement and initiatives behind the McGolrick Park Neighborhood Alliance.
We’re looking forward to celebrating with you this week! See you in the green!