The Pratt Institute Programs for Sustainable Planning and Development (PSPD) department is collecting donations today to be brought down to the Rockaways.
Several students have been out in the Rockaways the past few days and have been absolutely appalled at the conditions. PSPD has been in touch with Jeanne at Rockaway Waterfront Alliance and she said food and water is desperately needed.
Please read the following message from student Rebecca Crimmins:
On Saturday a truckload of goods will be headed out to the Rockaways (to the Firehouse at 59 St) and we need your help to fill it up! Please bring goods to Higgins Hall 406 before Friday night, there is a donation table on the studio side.
Greenpointers, if you want to contribute you can drop off items by me until about 3pm and I’ll bring them over – 59 Kent St #3G (buzzer 307)
Specific Requests in Rockaway and Far Rockaway (starred ones are most urgent):
* Canned food, non perishables
* bottled water
* Propane grill or camping style oven
* Plates, cups, forks, bowls, spoons, etc (disposable)
* blankets, jackets, gloves, hats, anything to keep folks warm
* cleaning supplies – buckets, squeegies, mops, bleach
* masks, gloves for cleaning
* garbage bags
big paper, tape, markers
pens, paper, notepads