Our Flower Power-themed Greenpointers Spring Market is THIS SUNDAY (April 7th, 1-7PM) inside one of Brooklyn’s historic spaces, the beautiful Greenpoint Loft (67 West St)! Shop from 60+ highly curated local crafters and artisans while enjoying live music, views of the NYC skyline, FREE fun activities like roof deck yoga, dreamcatcher workshops, butterfly making station, immersive fairy glen, photo booth decked out with a floral art installation, 3D avatar creation, poetry, & more! Celebrate the season with peace, love, and supporting local indie business.
* Bushwick Adult Dancing @ Earth Arts (936 Madison St.), 7pm, $10-$20, This class is focused on a creative and supportive system for women, fem and female identifying communities from all walks of life and body types. The mission is to create physical, emotional, spiritual strength and healing through dance. Buy Tix * Doctor’s Orders Presented By The Shift Workshop @ The William Vale (111 N. 12th St.), 7pm, FREE, What happens when a biologist, physician, neuroscientist and sex researcher join together to answer questions you may have never felt comfortable asking your own doctor? More info ♫ Limited Resources 28 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer), 9pm, $10 donation, More Info ♫ Homecoming Spring Affair with DJ Greg Poole @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info
* Transportation Committee Mtg — Community Board 1 @ Swinging 60s Senior Center (211 Ainslie St.), 6:30pm, FREE, More Info ♦ LIGHT YEAR 48: Digital Fairy Tales, Vengeance is Mine @ Pearl Street Triangle, 7pm, FREE, video art projected onto the Manhattan Bridge, More Info ♫ Canned Heat: A Jamiroquai Party @ Schimanski (54 N. 11th St.), 8pm, FREE w/ RSVP til 9pm, $10 after, RSVP ♫ The Buck Stops at Pete’s @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St.), 11pm, $5 suggested, More InfoContinue reading →
☺ The Nerds on The Wall. @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 7pm, FREE, Stand Up Comedy, RSVP ♫ Hereyouare Launch Party: Social Experiment 1 @ Good Room (98 Meserole St.), 7pm, $6-10, drink, dance, get a tattoo, do some Karaoke, Buy Tix ♫ Tank/ Sabine Holler/ Steph Chrysalis/ Breakaway @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, FREE, RSVP ♫ Funk You: 2 Year Anniversary @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
# Ovenly Studio ONE54: Intro to Cake Decorating @ Ovenly Studio One54 (154 Franklin St.), 6:45pm, $105, learn how to decorate Ovenly’s Brooklyn Blackout Cake, Buy Tix ♦ Neotenic Design – Closing Night Conversation & Panel Discussion @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 7pm, FREE, RSVP ^ Meet Josh Frank, author of Giraffes on Horseback Salad @ WORD (126 Franklin St.), 7:30pm, $5, A graphic novel about the true story of Salvador Dali, the Marx Brothers, and the Strangest Movie Never Made! Buy Tix ♫ Alien Trilogy / 1980Special Twin / Mez Swimmers / 2uarm / Alex C @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $7, More InfoContinue reading →
Prepare to fall in love!The Greenpointers Vintage Rose Valentine’s Market is happening THIS Sunday, February 10 from 1-7pm at The Greenpoint Loft (67 West Street), and there’s going to be plenty of fun things to do including getting TWO FREE drinks courtesy of Cinch! Be transported to a simpler time (before swiping right) with 60+ vendors, live music, locally made refreshments, and FREE activities for (literally) everyone including henna tattoos, nail art, poetry, flower crown making, dream catcher workshops, 3D avatar creation, and more~ Whether you need a gift to sweep that special someone off their feet or just want to get your DIY on, mark this on your calendar and don’t miss it! Free to enter! RSVP HERE!
# Zaitoun: A Conversation with Yasmin Khan and Kerry Diamond @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St.), 6:30pm, $35, Olives, peace and Palestinian cooking. Book signing and small bites to follow, Buy Tix ♫ Limited Resources 26 @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 9pm, $10 donation, Monthly experimental series, More Info ☺ “Hey” Comedy Show @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 9pm, FREE, More Info ♫ DatKat ◡ Lostcat ◡ Lilei ◡ xxx1990 @ Jupiter Disco (1237 Flushing Ave.), 10pm, FREE, More Info
♦ Line & Label x Moon Void Tarot Card Readings! @ Line and Label (568 Manhattan Ave.), 4pm, FREE, More Info ♦ RISO PRINTING WORKSHOP @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 6:30pm, $85, make custom prints using A/D/O’s in-house Risograph printer. Buy Tix # Dinner with Sohui Kim of Korean Home Cooking @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $50, Brooklyn restaurateur Sohui Kim of The Good Fork and Insa is cooking up a large Korean famliy style meal from her new cookbook KOREAN HOME COOKING: Classic and Modern Recipes, Buy Tix ♦ Triskelion Arts Presents: Mei Yamanaka @ Triskelion (106 Calyer St.), 8pm, $18, an evening of dance, Buy TixContinue reading →
♫ Sonoro x Pragmatik w/ Daylomar[Unleash London] @ 101Brooklyn (134 Metropolitan Ave.), 6pm, FREE, 2-for-1 drinks 6-7pm, music all night, More Info * The Five Elements Within: Connecting With Your Body’s Road Map @ Anima Mundi (31 Noble St.), 7pm, $35-140, a 5-element workshop series, Buy Tix ♫ Daddy Issues, Leggy, Desert Sharks @ Baby’s Alright (146 Broadway.), 8pm, $12-14, Buy Tix ♦ We’re Going to Eat You (1980) by Tsui Hark @ Spectacle Theater (124 S. 3rd), 10pm, $5, Hong Kong New Wave fantasy, Buy Tix
* Public Visoning for Bushwick Inlet Park Design @ Bushwick Inlet Park Building (86 Kent Ave.), 6pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Laraaji, Rachika S @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 7pm, $15-18, Buy Tix ^♫ NationalSawdust+: Paul Muldoon’s “Against the Grain” @ National Sawdust (80 North 6th), 7:30pm, $29-34, Literary music series, Buy Tix ♫ FYRN – bowed guitar quartet @ Arete Venue and Gallery (67 West St #103.), 8:30pm, $15, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Def.GRLS Merisi (Mpls MN) Substitute Vat Of Acid @ Diviera Drive (131 Berry St.), 9pm, $7, More Info ♫ Open Decks – Session 45 @ Tilt BK (248 McKibbin St.), 9pm, FREE, open genre, open format, More Info ♦ The House That Jack Built @ Syndicated (40 Bogart St.), 9:45pm, $7, New horror comedy starring Matt Dillon, now through Sunday, Buy Tix ♫ Escapism @ Jupiter Disco (1237 Flushing Ave), 10pm, FREE, More Info
* Incense, Burnables, & Ritual Smoke Blends @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.), 7pm, $15, an in-depth look at incense & smoke blends in witchcraft, Buy Tix ♫ Tiny Moon / New Restaurants / Pocket Protector/ An English Place @ Gutter Bar (200 North 15 St.) 8pm, $7, Buy Tix ♫ Doyle (of the Misfits) @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 9pm, $17.50-$66, Buy Tix ♫ Paisano & Friends w/ Willie Graff @ TBA Brooklyn (395 Wythe Ave.), 10pm, FREE, More InfoContinue reading →
What do we do when bad news seems incessant and escape feels impossible? Turn to art.
Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer Street) is pleased to present BodyStories’ “reeling -> healing,” an exploration of feelings of frustration and helplessness that can occur as a result of the constant barrage of negative news and hatred that reaches our country. This two-part work discusses how audiences deal with these emotions to find solace while taking action. Original music by Kevin Keller adds to a sense of urgency and the need for community, working in tandem with the choreography to immerse the audience in a fully formed world. Performers and audience connect via The Emotional Architecture of a Bridge, an original concept drawn and created by Teresa Fellion, that is uncovered in the piece via set elements and audience interaction with text. Furthering thoughts of togetherness, which has been an overarching theme in all past BodyStories pieces, “reeling -> healing” exposes the more vulnerable sides of ourselves through dance.
The show plays November 29 – December 1, 2018 at 8pm at Triskelion Arts’ Muriel Schulman Theater (enter at Calyer and Banker Streets). Tickets are $18 in advance or $22 at the door; purchase here!
^ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn | 75th Anniversary Party @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St.), 5pm, FREE, Special guests Amy Lyons, artist of the HarperCollins 75th Anniversary edition cover, and the family of Betty Smith–along with contemporary authors–help celebrate a book that, according to The New Yorker, “deserves to be thought of as one of the greatest American novels,” RSVP * An Ecological History of the Bushwick Inlet and its Environment @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 7pm, FREE, With the continued development of Williamsburg and Greenpoint along the East River shore, it’s hard to imagine that Brooklyn was once a thriving wetland, with winding streams carrying freshwater running right below our feet, More Info ♦ Machine//Body @ Arete Gallery (67 West St. #103), 8pm, $10-15, sound and movement, space and architecture, More Info ♫ How To Dress Well, Baltra @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 9pm, $20, Buy Tix
* Los Sures Thanksgiving Dinner @ First Spanish Presbyterian Church (157 S. 3rd St.), 6pm, FREE, communal dinner and turkey raffle, more info ♦ Advent Kickoff | Potluck Supper + Opening Reception @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 6pm, FREE, art exhibit and potluck, More Info ♫ The Travelin’ McCourys @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Mercury Program and Square Peg Round Hole @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $12-15, Buy TixContinue reading →
Lots to check out at Triskelion this fall! Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer Street) presents Split Bill #29 October 11-14 at 7:30 PM. The Split Bill program aims to serve emerging and mid-career artists looking for a stepping-stone between the showcase format and evening-length self-production. Unlike many showcases, this series encourages the development of premiere, long-form pieces between 20 and 40 minutes. Split Bill presents all kinds of movement-based work with each night offering two different companies.
For a taste of a dance and performance powerhouse producing strong, cutting experimental work, stop by Triskelion to support local art of all stripes. Tickets are $18 via this link, or $22 at the door.
Performance Schedule Thursday, October 11: Zehnder Dance / VALLETO Friday, October 12: Emily Climer / Zehnder Dance Saturday, October 13: VALLETO / Joan Bradford Sunday, October 14: Joan Bradford / Emily Climer
Dance, auctions, and film! It’s an eclectic mix of goings-on this week, Greenpointers. Enjoy your weekly roundup below.
Not an Ending at All Triskelion Arts | 106 Calyer Street May 10–12 | 8 PM More info, $18 in advance or $22 at the door
Not an Ending at All is an evening-length work, exploring the homes we build for the spirits that haunt us. Inspired by the Buddhist teachings on Hungry Ghosts and a deleted scene from Fred Astaire’s “Second Chorus,” the two performers — Sarah Capua and Audrey Lane Ellis — navigate an intimate world carefully guarded by a chorus of personal apparitions in this dance performance. Continue reading →
♦ New Paintings by Self-Indulgence @ South 4th Bar (90 South 4th St), 6pm, FREE, All new paintings by Self-Indulgence featuring the writing styles of lengendary graffiti artist OUI, More info # Sex on Stage: Creative Activism Dinner @ New Women Space (188 Woodpoint Rd), 7pm, by Donation, Community potluck discussion with feminist activists who are using the performing arts to educate the public about sexuality, Buy tix * Royal Headache @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St), 7pm, FREE, Hell yeah good times and rad new memories with Sheer Mag, Downtown Boys, RSVP
♫ Spain-Brooklyn Music Series @ Nowadays (56-06 Cooper Ave), 6pm, $15, A celebration of the best independent music from Spain and Brooklyn with El Guincho, Extraperlo, Noia and Turnbull Green (DJ set), Buy tix # Pizza Night @ Archestratus (160 Huron St), 7pm, $2, Pick up to ten of twenty available toppings to create the personal pizza of your dreams! $18 per pie day-of ($2 to RSVP). We have gluten-free crusts, too! RSVP * Resist: Learning from the Young Lords at [email protected]@UnionDocs (322 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $10, Approaching questions of how the Young Lords fight for economic, racial and social justice has changed in the present day. Discuss how the community based in the Southside of Williamsburg views and continues their work today, Buy tix ^ Lips, Teeth, Tongue: An Evening of Food Sex Lit @ The William Vale Hotel (111 North 12th St), 8pm, by Donation, Salacious evening of readings to tickle your tongue, your brain and your funny bone. From New York’s seductive burlesque performers to its hungry food editors, our readers are experts in the sensory pleasures of taste, More info ♫ Panorama x Working Women @ Black Flamingo (168 Borinquen Pl), 10pm, FREE, With Gene Tellem b2b Lis Dalton and Barbie Bertisch. Chance to win a pair of 3-Day VIP passes to Panorama with RSVP plus a pair of passes will be given out at the show, RSVP Continue reading →