I will definitely be dropping by Word bookstore today for this marathon reading and picking up a copy of this book.
To “celebrate” the release of FREELOADING: How our insatiable hunger for free content starves creativity (OR Books), Greenpoint author Chris Ruen’s Terrible Idea will play out in the basement space of WORD (126 Franklin St) today 10/20 from 10am to 9pm.
Drop in and out (and in) as Ruen reads his new book from beginning to end, along with a smattering of very special guest readers.
Plus, Small Black Door gallery will be projecting curated artworks by emerging local artists that include: Andrea Bergart, Jon Bocksel, Matthew Fisher, Matthew Mahler, Jonathan Terranova, and Aaron Williams.
At 7pm, there will be free cheese from Eastern District, wine from Dandelion Wine and beer from Brooklyn Brewery with the raspy, delirious author announcing “The End” at around 8pm.
After the show it’s the afterparty at Lulu’s Bar (113 Franklin St) one block away immediately following the reading. Chris Ruen will be spinning records along with friends. DJ sets start at 9:30pm.
126 Franklin St
Happy July! Hopefully this heatwave will subside for a nice weekend. Check out the calendar for even more events. Submit an event.
• Brooklyn Public Library Kidsmobile @ McCarren Park, 10-11:30am, FREE
♥ Summerscreen: Raising Arizona @ McCarren Park (N 12th & Bedford Ave), 6pm, FREE
• The Fug Girls Present Messy @ Word (126 Franklin St.) 7-8pm, founders of the must-read blog Go Fug Yourself, present their second YA novel, Messy, More info
♫ TEEN / Electric Video Release Party @ La Sala (58 No. 3rd St) 9pm, RSVP
♫ Telepathe / Feathers / Eraas / FAITH DJ set @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $10, Buy Tix
• Cooper Park Harmony Day Picnic with the 90th Precinct @ Cooper Park, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
• OSA Community Tree Stewardship Day with The Human Impacts Institute @ Rodney Park (S. 3rd Street & Rodney) 5:30-7pm, help protect street trees from the heat of the summer, tools supplied and no gardening experience necessary.
♫ Pretty Good Friends with Eugene Mirman / OK GO! @ Williamsburg Park (50 Kent Avenue) 5:30pm, FREE
♦ Slideluck Potshow @ Brooklyn Brewery (79 N 11th St) $15, 6:30-10:30pm, a slideshow of various Northside artists, bring your favorite bar food, beer will be unlimited, space will be, Buy Tix
• Jungle Nights: Natural Perfume Making Workshop @ Jungle (61 Kent Avenue) 7-8pm, $120, Using natural ingredients found in the garden, you will learn the basics of natural perfume design with a perfume designer and create with your own scent to take home, Cocktails, RSVP time4everythingnyc (AT) gmail.com
* Space, Time, and a Universe in Many Dimensions @ 3rd Ward (195 Morgan Ave) 7:30pm, $20, Janna Levin, scientist and novelist, speaks to us about how there may be hidden dimensions existing in the vast unknown that is the universe, More info
♫ Children’s concert @ American Playground, 11am, Free
♫ Woody Guthrie Centennial Benefit @ Teddy’s (96 Berry St) 8pm, To benefit North Brooklyn’s O.U.T.R.A.G.E. (Organizations United for Trash Reduction and Garbage Equity)
♫ The Frighteners / The Forthrights / The Hard Times @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St) 8pm
* Weekend Walk Block Party @ Grand between Union & Manhattan, noon-6pm, a car free oasis, RVSP
♥ 7th Annual Great Hot Dog CookOff @ 630 Flushing Ave, 1:30pm, 30 competitors engage in a live grilling battle where the attendees vote to determine who will be this year’s Top Dog, all proceeds donated to Food Bank For New York City, Buy Tix
• 5th Annual Pig Roast @ 3rd Ward (195 Morgan Ave) 4pm, Free, a summery celebration of gut-splitting proportions, More info
♦ Surprise! Party & Zine Release @ Booklyn (37 Greenpoint Ave 4fl) 7-10pm, a recurring, roving performance project, created in 2009 by artists Aaron Wojack and Calder Zwicky, More info
♫ Quiet Loudly /EULA/ Miniboone/ & Backwords @ Big Snow (89 Varet St) 8pm, RSVP
♫ Dum Dum Girls, Widowspeak, Fingers On The Pulse @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St) 8pm, FREE, RSVP
♫ Soul Clap and Dance Off w/ Jonathan Toubin @ Glasslands Gallery (289 Kent Ave) 11:45pm, $5
♫ Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 6pm, $5
♫ Fixed / Chromatics / JDH & Dave P / Paul Raffaele @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N. 6th St) 8pm, $18, Buy Tix
♫ Milk Music / Nude Beach / Zulus @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $10
♥ Masters of Social Gastronomy: Ice Cream @ Public Assembly (70 North 6th St) 7-9:30pm, Free, RSVP
* Drink for Better Transit @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave) 7-8:30pm,Riders Alliance • RidersNY.org is a membership organization of subway and bus riders dedicated to winning better transit in New York, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
Category: What's Happening?
Tags: art, art opening, art show, benefits, Brooklyn, Bushwick, children, classes, community event, Concerts, events, exhibit, Free, fundraisers, Greenpoint, happening, Kids, lecture, live music, Music, park, party, recreation, release party, talk, venue, weekend, Williamsburg, workshop
Our friend and local shop owner of The One Well, Kerry Jones is hosting and preparing dinner for a new Brooklyn supper club this Tuesday, June 19, 2012 at Ran Tea House (269 Kent Ave). The menu promises to be “decadent yet nutritious” with “high vibrational, living dishes that nourish the body and elevate the mood.” Sexy. Buy tickets here. BYOB.
Category: Eat & Drink
Tags: dinner, Eat & Drink, event, Food, happening, health, healthy, jen g, local, organic, Supper Club, sustainable, underground dining, vegan, vegetarian, wellness
Tell the genie three wishes and she will mix you a custom perfume of power!
Saturday & Sunday, May 19-20th, 2012
*While supplies last.
Kill Devil Hill
170 Franklin St
Sponsored Post Courtesy of Kill Devil Hill.
Volunteering is a great way to help out in the community, learn new skills and meet new people. This Saturday May 19, 2012 from 10am-2pm at the McCarren Park Greenmarket, check out the North Brooklyn Volunteer Fair!
From soup kitchens to parks groups, connect with community organization and learn how you can volunteer in Williamsburg and Greenpoint.
Help spread the word and RSVP on Facebook.
Sponsors: Open Space Alliance for North Brooklyn, Greenpointers, Lincoln Restler, Brooklyn Community Foundation, Burned Green, GrowNYC
What did Greenpointers do? Aside from promoting the you know what out of it, we made the poster! You likey?