♫ Busty and the Bass @ Rough Trade (64 N 9th St.), 7pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ The Midnight @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 8pm, $26, Buy tix ♫ Lost Girls (Jenny Hval & Håvard Volden – North American Debut) @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 8pm, $20, Buy Tix ♫ Exek / Richard Papiercuts / Orion / DJ Zack Lipez @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 11pm, $12, Buy Tix
* 2018 NAG Gala @ BIBA Brooklyn (110 Kent Ave.) 7pm, $125+, the evening will recognize NAG’s history, activism and advocacy, and share the future of their work in Greenpoint and Williamsburg, Buy Tix ♫ Material Support & Namatay Sa Ingay record release/benefit show @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 7pm, $10, more info ♫ AcousticaElectronica with ToUch Performance Art @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 7pm, $29-49, Buy Tix ♫ Quantic with Underground System (live) plus The Funky Seshwa @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 10pm, $15-20, Buy Tix
♦ Williamsburg Special Gallery Evening @ Williamsburg, 6pm, FREE, Williamsburg second Fridays are back. Six galleries will stay open late, expect art, music abd events, More Info ♫ The Roller Wave: Roller Disco @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 6pm, $10 Buy Tix ♫ Luna Fox: Phases 4@ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 8pm, $6-8, Buy Tix ♫ Dance With The Dead, Daniel Deluxe, Valentine @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Ave.), 9pm, $20, Buy Tix
# CLASS: No Doubt Sauerkraut for Oktoberfest @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 10am, $50, Each student will learn three different ways to make kraut and create their own jar to take home to enjoy later. Plus, in the spirit of Oktoberfest, share a meal of local polish kielbasa smothered in ferments, mustard, and drink seasonal beer (yes, for breakfast-ish.) Buy Tix * Plant Daffodils in Transmitter Park Fall 2018 @ Transmitter Park (Greenpoint Ave.), 10am, FREE, Tools & refreshments will be provided, More Info ♦ Shorts Block: FEMALE CINEMATOGRAPHER | #Bushwick2018 @ LightSpace Studios (130 Thames St.), 2:35pm, $13, Buy Tix ♫ Synthesis by Undermind @ Bogart House (230 Bogart St.), 10pm, FREE, Join Undermind for its launch party: Synthesis by Undermind. The night will be divided into three chapters, each with custom vibes and visuals, More Info
* Get to the Point 5K Run @ St. Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Academy (12 Newel St.), 10:30am, $20-45, children’s races at 10:30, 5k at 1, pre and post-race party! Buy Tix ♦ The Addams Family with Wednesday’s Lemonade @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave.), 5pm, $22,Buy Tix ♫ CALLS, Coastlands, Akari, Corpse Meditation @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave.), 6:30pm, $8, Buy Tix ♫ Love & Respect V: A Funky Soul Rebellion @ The Good Room (98 Meserole Ave.), 7pm, $5 before 8pm, $10 after, More Info
♫ Terror Harms Way Backtrack Year Of The Knife Candy and Ekulu @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave.), 6pm, $14-16, Buy Tix # Case Vecchie Riunione with Fabrizia Lanza, David Tanis and Maira Kalman @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $25, join the empress of Sicily’s most famous cooking school, Fabrizia Lanza of Case Vecchie di Regaleali, for a rare “Riunione” with her former students and brilliant friends David Tanis and Maira Kalman, Buy Tix ♫ Speakeasy Streets + The Nevermind Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave.), 7pm, $8, Buy tix ♫ Told Slant + Lily Konigsberg + Felicia Douglass + Franz Charcoal @ The Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.), 7pm, $12-15, Buy Tix
♫ The Milk Carton Kids @ Brooklyn Steel (319 Frost St.), 7pm, $30-125, Buy Tix ♦ Reconstructing the 1938 International Amateur Movie Show @ Light Industry (155 Freeman St.), 7pm, $8, presenting 6 films originally shown in 1938, More Info ♫ ASTOR (UK/Aus), Lary 7, Spencer Herbst, Skydiver @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave.), 8pm, $10, Buy Tix
* Greenpointers Pick ♫ Music ^ Literary Event ♦ Art & Film ☺ Comedy Event # Foodie Event ♥ Pheremones Likely
Power pop band Tiny Stills is taking their sophomore album Laughing Into the Void on the road! The band comes to Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave) on August 29. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased here.
Tiny Stills is a power pop band from Los Angeles influenced by Courtney Barnett, That Dog, and 90s/00s rock. Their first album, Falling is like Flying, was released in 2014 and was a direct response to the isolation and anxiety that comes from life changing events after front-person and founding member Kailynn West was held up at gunpoint. It’s upbeat and pop-y melodies were born from a desire to make something that felt and sounded nothing like the she felt at the time — happy. Since then, West has been the nucleus of the project with a rotating cast of band members, but most recent lineup includes Harry Foster (bass), Zach Comtois (guitar), and Tony Thaxton (drums).
Tiny Stills released their sophomore album, Laughing Into the Void, on June 1. The record premiered in full on Music Connection. Full of brutal honesty, crunchy guitars, and catchy melodies, Laughing into the Void is here to help you remember that even the worst days have a silver lining: at least you’re not alone.
♫ Adult Purim Bash @ The Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave), 6:30pm, $18, Megillah reading – Open bar – Hors d’oeuvres – Photo booth – Live music, Buy tix ♦ Film Screening Benefit: She’s Gotta Have It @ Dobbin St (64 Dobbin St), 7pm, $20, Dobbin St will be transformed into a luxury movie lounge with popcorn, chips, candy, ice cream sandwiches, cake pops, & chocolate mousse; cash bar & giveaways, Buy tix * Trivia Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 8pm, FREE, Expect categories to be various, beer innumerable, arancine aplenty, RSVP ♦ Waiting for Guffman @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, FREE, Screening takes place in our Main Ballroom! Seating is first come first served, More info ☺ New Greta Has Friends @ Vital Joint (109 Meserole St), 9pm, $5, We’re inviting an ALL STAR lineup of standups to inspire our improv set! More info
♫ John Nolan (of Taking Back Sunday, Straylight Run) @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 7:30pm, $15, Buy tix ♫ Diet Cig, Great Grandpa, The Spook School @ Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 8pm, $17, Buy tix ♫ The Undercover Dream Lovers, Future Generations, Wilder Maker @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Minimal Disco w/ Connie & Mira Fahrenheit @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, FREE, New York DJs Connie Yin and Mira Fahrenheit come together once a month to get weird and play top-quality tunes, from Minimal to Disco… anything goes! More info Continue reading →
♫ Wha U Think Eye Rap 4? @ GAMBA Forest (17 Division Pl), 8pm, FREE, Join the most cutting edge emcees at the forefront of the NYC indie hip-hop scene and for a lively discussion where they get to express their POV about craft, culture and where hip-hop actually lives today, More info ☺ Wee Winged Wonders @ Vital Joint (109 Meserole St), 8pm, $5, An Evening of Comedy About Bees and Butterflies and That’s It. Hosted by Joe Rumrill and Andrew Tisher, More info ♫ Kali Masi, Language, My Kind of Fire, Make August Count @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 8pm, $8, Buy tix
♫ Rainer Maria, The Van Pelt, Gold Dime @ Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 7pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ Orrin, That Boy Miles, Warren Wolfe, SHUG @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $8, *also* free beer from The Bronx Brewery, Buy tix ♫ Lola Kirke, Breanna Barbara, Hannah Read, Melodie Stancato @ Brooklyn Bazaar (150 Greenpoint Ave), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Cuddle Magic, Tigue, Tōth @ Baby’s All Right (146 Broadway), 8pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Quantic residency with DJ Taye @ Good Room (98 Meserole Ave), 10pm, $10, Quantic’s Good Room residency will be a homestead for playing his own unique sound of tropical-soul and electronic polyrhythm as well as championing future sounds & past obscurities, Buy tixContinue reading →
* F-Valentine’s Day! @ Bushwick Country Club (618 Grand St), 6pm, FREE, Free BBQ! Free raffles! Come drink with us on “singles awareness day,” More info ♫ Queers <3 Covers – Valentine’s Day Punk Cover Show @ Gold Sounds (44 Wilson Ave), 7:30pm, $7 – $10, Come celebrate the love that will never leave you, music, with a night of cover bands. All proceeds donated to Direct Relief for Puerto Rico, More info ♫ Valentines Village of Love Show & Dance for Planned Parenthood! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (66 N 6th St), 7pm, $25, More info ♫ Deep Space Love Night | DJ Spinna b2b François K. @ Output (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Deep Space celebrates Valentine’s Day with a special night celebrating love, by any definition, with DJ Spinna back-to-back with Francois K. all night, Buy tix
^ John Yau & Barry Schwabsky @ Spoonbill Studio (99 Montrose Ave), 7pm, FREE, John presents “The Wild Children of William Blake” and Barry presents “Heretics of Language,” More info ♫ Show with Van Goose, Violets are Wet, Petal Crush @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 8pm, $10, More info ♫ ShowYourNice X ONLY WAVE ENT Present Antics & Fiends @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8:30pm, $7, More info ☺ Call Your Dad: Bitcoin, Cash and Wallstreet Baby @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Money Money Money Money. Bit Coin Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos Neoliberal. Cash cash captialism, big buildings fast cars money and cars. 80s, 08, 2015-2018. Satire? No-tire, More infoContinue reading →
* Superfun/d Series @ Kings County Brewers Collective (381 Troutman St), 6pm, FREE, Learn about the latest happenings on our local superfund waterway: Newtown Creek. Will include a brief presentation reviewing the current state of the Creek including larger clean-up efforts and grassroots projects, More info ♫ Social Sounds feat. Johnny Petrop, Trey Nostalgia, and more! @ Sunnyvale (1031 Grand St), 7:30pm, FREE, More info * Trivia Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 8pm, FREE, There will be three rounds + a lightning round, but only one epic trophy. Win Beer! Win Rice Balls! Win Cookies! More info * Blue Blood Supermoon Eclipse Experience @ Narayana Integrative Center (191 Nassau Ave), 8:15pm, $40, Skywatchers across much of the world will receive a post holiday gift: the total lunar eclipse of a full supermoon that is also a Blue Moon, Buy tix ♫ Megg Farrell & Friends @ Skinny Dennis (152 Metropolitan Ave), 9pm, FREE, More info
# Dinners of the Past: Beefsteak @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $65, In conjunction with chef Josh Stokes and food entrepreneur Franz Aliquo, we’re bringing back this historic, stylized New York City institution of gluttony with an evening of all-you-can-eat steak & all-you-can-drink beer, Buy tix ♦ Alizé Carrère presents Adaptation: Bangladesh @ Leonard Library (81 Devoe St), 6:30pm, FREE, Alizé Carrère documents her case studies in the web series Adaptation, revealing human ingenuity and resourcefulness in the face of environmental adversity, RSVP ☺ Branded Content Presents: Russell Stover @ Pine Box Rock Shop (12 Grattan St), 8pm, FREE, Celebrate of life, love, and nougat, brought to you by Russel Stover Candies, More info ♫ SYNTHICIDE // 80s to the maxx edition @ Bossa Nova Civic Club (1271 Myrtle Ave), 10pm, FREE, Fog machines & laser rays, More infoContinue reading →
Start the new year off right by giving you a 20% discount on drinking unlimited craft brew and celebrating the best the borough has to offer at the Best of Brooklyn Food and Beer Festival at Industry City this Saturday, January 27th!
Tickets normally start at just $39.00 per session for unlimited beer tastings, but readers who enter discount code “GREENPOINTERS” on the ticket selection page will save 20% on admission. [sponsored]
♫ Happy Hour w/ Shapank (Birthday Set) @ Terra Firma (119 Ingraham St), 6pm, FREE, More info * Dyeing with Nature @ Better Than Jam’s (20 Grattan St), 6:30pm, $65, Learn to properly prep your fabrics, use natural materials to get lasting colors, and how to use modifiers to change shades or fix your work, Buy tix ♫ Belle Game, Rodes Rollins, Noy Markel @ Zone One at Elsewhere (599 Johnson Ave), 8pm, $12, Buy tix ♫ Radio Wonderland, D-Andra, Elle Pierre, Dark Alley Echoes RTFM @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, FREE, More info
# Burns Night @ MOFAD (62 Bayard St), 6:30pm, $30, Enjoy bagpipes, haggis (vegetarian included) and other Scottish delicacies, a guided Scottish whisky tasting courtesy of Johnnie Walker, and Robert Burns poetry recitations, Buy tix * Spirit Book Club: Braiding Sweetgrass @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $10, Focus: The awakening of a wider ecological consciousness requires the acknowledgement and celebration of our reciprocal relationship with the world, RSVP ♫ The Sharp Shadows / Kangaroo / Glass Tactics / New Restaurants @ Gutter Bar (200 N 14th St), 8pm, $7, More info ♫ Roxiny, On High, Weak Signal @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave), 8pm, FREE, More infoContinue reading →
♫ Christmas Hymn Sing @ St. John’s Luthern Church (155 Milton St), 7pm, FREE, Everyone is invited to come sing our favorite Christmas hymns. All levels of ability are welcome, More info ♫ A Night of Poems and Songs @ Wayward Social (35 Ingraham St), 7:30pm, FREE, 40-minute sets of musical performance, followed by a 15-minutes set of poetry, and a short intermission before we begin again, More info ☺ RoFl8 Comedy Night @ Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave), 8pm, FREE, More info ♫ Hard Pass, Freezing Cold, Faith/Void, Chubbybunny @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St), 8pm, $8, More info ♫ House of Vogue @ House of YES (2 Wyckoff Ave), 11pm, $10, MikeQ and his Qween Beat collective always bring the heat. Categories: Naughty (Runway), Nice (Performance), and a Surprise Category, Buy tix
* Winter Solstice Silent Yoga @ McCarren Play Center (776 Lorimer St), 7pm, FREE, This wonderful class will begin with an open meditation then move into a long vinyasa. Class will use “Sound Off” wireless glowing headphones, RSVP * Winter Solstice Restorative Yoga with Live Sitar @ Sacred Arts Research Foundation (107 Green St), 7pm, $20, A restorative yoga practice during the New Moon and Vata phase of the lunar cycle is best for balancing an overworked mind, hormones, emotions and energy, RSVP ♫ Teenagers in Love: An All-Vinyl Night of Doowop and Early Soul @ Troost (1011 Manhattan Ave), 9pm, FREE, Grab your sweetheart to keep you warm and head over for a special 45RPM-only set of doo-wop tunes and early soul, rock, and pop music, spun by your friend, Christian Storm, More info ♫ Clocking In | Billy Kenny @ The Panther Room (74 Wythe Ave), 10pm, $15, Buy tix ♫ Low Key ft. Machine Girl, Neybuu, Hunni’d Jaws + Low Key DJz @ El Cortez (17 Ingraham St), 11pm, FREE, More info Continue reading →
* Witchcraft 101: Saintcraft @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave), 7:30pm, $20, Explore the age-old use of Catholic Saints and iconology within folk magic traditions throughout the world, Buy tix ♫ The Hold Steady @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $40, Buy tix ♫ Susie Ibarra (Album Release) w/ DreamTime Ensemble @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $15, The pieces for this album were inspired by the idea of perception and sensory experiences. Perception allows the ability to take in sensory information, make it into something meaningful and to interact with our environment, Buy tix
♦ Brickman Brothers Art Galla @ Terra Firma (119 Ingraham St), 6pm, FREE, The Brickman Brothers have decided to join forces to bring to you a night of our art. Accompanying the art will be amazing music spun on vinyl by Rich Chwastiak, More info # Vegan Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $20 or less, An evening of Sicilian, family-style food inspired by Nonna, RSVP * How To Love Yourself: Raw & Real w/ Kaela May @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $22, Discuss how we can actively release and shed the inner conflict & battle while shifting into ease & acceptance, RSVP ♫ Babylawns, Travis Alexander, Dodgeball, hammydown @ Gutter Bar (200 N 14th St), 9pm, FREE, More info ☺ Ya’ll Ready for This @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 9:30pm, FREE, C’mon and slam!, More info Continue reading →
That’s how Brooklyn-based R.B.I. describes their sound, and it’s pretty on the mark. They have a new full-length album on the way, and are playing Gold Sounds in Bushwick on Friday, September 2nd with Divining Rod, Swampboots, and Rockaway.
The premiere of their first video off the album is below, as well as a Q&A with Mason Hedgecoth, their lead singer and guitarist. Continue reading →