Northside Festival Showcase at Bar Matchless (6/8) Presented by Greenpointers, Supercrush, and Paper Garden Records!
Here’s a preview of our line up:
Here’s a preview of our line up:
This Saturday, June 4th (1-5PM) Go Green! Brooklyn Festival is taking over McCarren Park with a FREE celebration of the North Brooklyn Community and local environmental programs. Park-goers can engage with and learn about sustainability initiatives while sampling local food, participating in live-action art projects, music performances, and more!
Fun Activities will include: Continue reading
From SummerScreen to SummerStarz to Nitehawk Outdoors and more, there has been no shortage of free movies in North Brooklyn this summer. The selections tend towards straight forward entertainment, often in celebration of youth culture reminiscent of the recent past. They’re the kinds of movies that work ok as a backdrop while you sit in the park with friends and converse in not-so-quiet whispers in between sips of your wine or beer. It’s budget friendly and fun. And it doesn’t really matter what movie is playing.
Not the case in “Night of Noir.” It is not only indoors in a proper screening room, but the overall event is very much centered around the movie. Each selection is part of a curated series of classics from a much earlier era and inspires thoughts like “There were heroin addict dens then?” as opposed to “What is Alicia Silverstone up to now?”
For those of us who are not so well versed on movie making history, “Night of Noir” can easily be misinterpreted. You might have imagined a Wednesday night scene drinking tasty cocktails amongst a sophisticated well-dressed crowd watching some flick in black and white. Continue reading
Ever pass by a group of zen looking people in warrior pose or savasana in a grassy part of McCarren Park on a sunny day?
Hosh Yoga is a nonprofit that began to provide donation based open level classes to the public and is coming to the sun-drenched outdoor rooftop space at the Greenpoint Loft during our Summer Market to host two classes.
Each class is 75 minutes and is donation based. Open level – Experience with yoga is suggested but anyone is welcome!
We will have a limited number of mats so BYOM (Bring Your Own Mat) is ideal.
Take a step closer to health and wellness while surrounded by a gorgeous urban landscape!
* Handmade Treasures Pop Up @ Daddy’s (435 Graham Ave) Saturday 3/8 at 1pm, Free, shop knits, jewelry, ceramics, and scarves, plus get a custom Tim Harrington (of Les Savy Fav) illustration of your spirit animal, there will also be custom pet portraits and custom knit patches (bring your fav digital image to be converted into a knit), with wares from Glitterlimes (real fruit and candy jewelry!) / Muffy brandt (hand-printed leggings, tops, and bags) / Andrew Almone (a.k.a the KNIT MASTER) / Juniortown Knits (hand-dyed yarn) / Jule Van Such (digital prints on silk scarves) / Jena Derman (Executive Sous Chef at Momofuku Milk Bar who creates amazing pastry-like ceramics) / Wowch, with DJ Knife Fight spinning 45s, RSVP
♦ Illustration Workshop @ The Living Gallery (1094 Broadway, Bushwick) 4-6pm, Free, Learn the core basics of buildling shapes, images and characters, this week the theme is the classic Greek tale, RSVP
* Steampunk Tea Party @ Word (126 Franklin St) 7pm, $15 suggested donation, Join author Gail Carriger for a reading, discussion and book signing from her Protectorate literature series, prizes awarded to best steampunk costume, RSVP
♦ Artists’ Reception and Ash Wednesday Worship @ Lutheran Church of the Messiah (129 Russell St) 7-10pm, Free, Explore this local collection of artwork modeled on the Stations of the Cross, RSVP
* Seasonal Home Store Pop-Up @ Home of the Brave (67 West St, #416) 6pm, Free, Have a drink while previewing the home store of independent designers, curated by Wolves Within, RSVP
♦ 60, The Collective Part 2 Art Show @ The Walk Way, Rebar (147 Front St, Dumbo) 7pm, Curators Frankie Velez and Craig Anthony Miller gather 60 artists to create 12” x 12” works, DJ’d by AnaMated, More Info
♥ Super Saturday @ D.B.A (113 N 7th St) 10pm-4am, Spend Columbus Day (10/12) in true New Orleans style, with DJ Bengey spinning eclectic pop, funk, soul, and classic dance tunes, drink specials all night ($4 pints, $5 16oz cans, & $6 shot + beer combos), RSVP
• A Quarter Century Covering Afghanistan @ Brooklyn Brewery ( 79 N 11th St) 7:30-10:30, $25, Photographer Robert Nickelsberg shares personal tales from 25 years documenting the conflict in Afghanistan, in conversation with New Yorker war reporter Jon Lee Anderson, More Info
♫ Touche Amore / United Nations / The Saddest Landscape @ 285 Kent, 8pm, $12, BUY TIX
♫ Deltron 3030 / Del tha Funkee Homosapien / Dan the Automator / Kid Koala @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, $25, BUY TIX
* The Brooklyn Waterfront: Past and Present @ Brooklyn Brainery (190 Underhill Ave, Prospect Heights) 8:30-10pm, $10, Learn about the history, development, and rebirthof the waterfront from Greenpoint to Sunset Park, especially relevant given current zoning debates, More Info