* Voices of Brooklyn: Between Wolves & Sheep @ Parables (334 Sough 5th St) 7pm, $15 suggested, Soulful vocals and body shakin’ grooves paired with stories of learning what protection truly meant in the of Williamsburg in the 80s and 90s, RSVP
♫ The Hunger (1st Course) @ Bar Matchless (557 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10, Hungry March Band begins their monthly Matchless residency, this month with Stumblebum Brass Band and Reggay Lords, RSVP
* The Strange Journey Through Every Bodega in New York @ Acme Studio (63 North 3rd St) 8pm, $15, Obscura Society presents one woman’s odyssey documenting an overlooked but deeply idiosyncratic NYC icon before it disappears, More info
cinco de mayo
Bad Credit No Credit, Beloved BDay, Derby Day, Cinco De Mayo, Spring Calvacade, Fading Ads, The National: What’s Happening Greenpoint? (5/1-5/8)
♦ I Stay Under Glass @ Picture Farm (338 Wythe Ave) 6-9pm, Photography by Grant Cornett, RSVP
♫ Bad Credit No Credit / Hard Bodies / Bueno / Rohypnotise @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $7, RSVP
* The Audacity of Hops Book Launch Party @ The Brooklyn Brewery (79 North 11th St) 7:30-10:30pm, FREE, Tom Acitelli speaks about the history of Brooklyn Brewery, copies of his book will be on sale. Reservation required, email audacityofhopsbook(at)gmail.c
♫ Starlight Girls / The Suzan / Dangerous Ponies / Slutever @ Death by Audio (49 S. 2nd St)8pm, $7 RSVP
♥ Beloved Birthday Party @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 5pm-Late, Drink specials/Fernet-Branca Bicycle raffle/DJ group Kids With Snakes and a makeout corner! More Info
♦ Resurrection @ The Active Space (566 Johnson Ave, Bushwick) Opening Reception 6-10pm, FREE, Artists Katie Bell, Suzanna Goldenberg, Rachel Hayes, JR Larson, Matt Miller, Bridget Mullen, Rosee Tibbles, RSVP
♥ le BUMP: The Revenge @ Over The Eight (594 Union Ave) 10:30pm-Close, FREE, Get sweaty at the newest bar in town with DJs Mister Disco & Brian Blackout, RSVP
• Spring Handmade Cavalcade @ The Space (50 N.3rd St) 10am-5pm, FREE, Featuring
over 35 local artisans, designers and crafters, More Info
• A Four Roses Kentucky Derby @ Noorman’s Kil (609 Grand St) 2pm, FREE, Listen to the race over the radio, Four Roses Mint Juleps, best dressed contest, RSVP
• Kentucky Derby Party @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave) 3-7pm, FREE, 3pm, $6 mint juleps and Derby pie, More Info
• Kentucky Derby Day @Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer Street) 3pm, Ladies millinery competition, Bluegrass blue-plate special, More Info
• Kentucky Der-B-Q @ Mark Bar (1025 Manhattan Ave) 4pm, Kentucky BBQ
$6 Mint Juleps, RSVP
♦ Nurturing Nature Art Exhibit @ The ceeflat (988 Manhattan Ave) 4-10pm, Nature-Inspired pieces by Carla E. Reyes and Ian Montgomery, musical performances from The Devyl Nellys / Mission On Mars / Ghandi, RSVP
♦ Significant Matters @ Projekt722 (722 Metropolitan Ave, 2nd Fl) Opening Reception 6-9pm, FREE, artwork by Nobutaka Aozaki, Miwa Koizumi, Kenichi Nakajima, Andrew Zarou, More Info
♫ Phebe Starr / Clementine & The Galaxy / Bob and Martha @ Paper Box (17 Meadow St, Bushwick) 6-9pm, $12, RSVP
♫ East Bank Music Series @ The Episcopal Church of the Ascension (127 Kent Ave St) 8pm, $10 suggested, Performers from Manhattan School of Music’s put on an evening of contemporary classical music, More Info
* Fading Ads of Greenpoint Walking Tour @ All Over Greenpoint, 11:30am, FREE, Join Preservation Greenpoint and photographer Frank Jump on a walking tour of the fading ads of Greenpoint, RSVP for meeting location, More Info
♦ A Lot of Sorrow featuring The National @ MoMA PS1 (22-25 Jackson Ave, LIC) Noon-6pm, $15 , Artist Ragnar Kjartansson sought out The National, to perform their song, Sorrow, repeatedly in a six-hour live loop for this performance, More Info
• Cinco De Mayo @ One Stop Beer Shop (134 Kingsland Ave) Noon-2am, FREE, Complimentary Teacate & Dos Equis, prizes, RSVP
• Cinco De Mayo Brunch @ Sindicato De Cocineros (57A Nassau Ave) 12-4pm, $1 fish taco, $5 tecate & shot, $6 margaritas, first come first serve
• Cinco De Mayo @ Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave) Noon-11pm, Three Amigos playing on the big screen all day plus drink specials, More Info
♦ Works Cited, reprised @ Cleopatra’s (110 Meserole St) 3pm, curated by Olivian Chan, a set of reflections, deflections and thoughtful quotations linked through a shared involvement in a series of displays and programs at the Los Angeles Public Library, RSVP
# Greenpointers “Cinco De Mayo” Sunday Supper #5 @ Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) 7pm-9pm, $4o, special “Cinco De Mayo” Greenmarket inspired menu created by Chef Heather Cahill of Farm to Fridge, More Info
☺Run from the Police Comedy @ Muchmore’s (2 Havenmeyer St) 8:30-11pm, FREE
♫ Body Language / Pegasus Warning /#1 Kid @ Glasslands (289 Kent Ave) 8:30pm, $12, RSVP
* Greenpoint Landing Public Meeting @ McCarren Park Recreational Center (776 Lorimer St) 6:30pm, learn about Greenpoint Landing, 77 Commercial St, Newtown Barge and Box Street Parks
*S.A.S.S. Presents: Historical Figures who Said “Fuck it.” @ Public Assembly (70 N.6th St) 7pm, FREE, lecture covers military leaders who gave up when the going got rough / abandoned construction projects / ladies who decided they just had enough, RSVP
☺The Trap-Variety Show @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St) 8pm, FREE, Dan St. Germain / Jamie Lee / Will Hines / Natalie Shure / Hand Job Academy, RSVP
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones likely
♦ Art Event
☺ Comedy Event
# Foodie Event
The Cinco de Mayo Launch Party at Greenpoint Heights last night was a blast! Here is a sneak peek at some of the photo booth shots. I foolishly thought I could automate this process but that is not the case. More to come…
999 Manhattan Ave.
Sponsored post courtesy of Papacitos.
Remember to check our calendar for more events. Submit your events there, too!
* Lincoln Restler Campaign Launch Party @ Brooklyn Winery (213 North 8th St) kick off Lincoln Restler’s Reelection Campaign as State Committeeman and District Leader for the 50th Assembly District, More info
♫ Funky Warsaw @ Warsaw (261 Driggs St.) 10pm, DJ Bobby J plays all vinyl, sassy-ass 60’s soul, funky funk, power-pop pop-pop, post apocalyptic punk, and pre-historic hip-hop
• Grand Opening: Beloved (674 Manhattan Ave) More info
• Crooked Man/ Hazel Rah/ Theologian/ Lost Coves @ Saint Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave) 8pm, $10, BUY TIX
FRIDAY THRU SUNDAY (5/3-5/6)
• NY Food Book Fair @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave) $15+, The first ever New York Food Book Fair is a celebration of cookbooks, memoirs, magazines, science, food systems, agriculture, urban design and food art and culture, More info
* Penny Social @ Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (275 No. 8th St) 6pm, Hosted by: Kelly Pakowski. This event is for Adults only. Tickets are $8.00 in advance, and $9.00 at the door. Coffee and cake available with admission, plus a door prize ticket. Lots of great prizes including a Walt Disney World Vacation for a family of 5 as a grand prize, More info
• St. Stanislaus Kostka Drama Club Presents Grease @ St. Stanislaus Kostka School (12 Newel Street)
♦ A Mouth that Might Sing @ Pierogi (177 North 9th St) 7-9pm, Opening reception for artist Ryan Mrozowski, More info
♦ Represent @ The Habitat (988 Manhattan Ave) 7pm, a solo exhibition of drawings and video by Nick Hartman
♫ The Death Set/ Wild Yaks/ Total Warr/ Rompers/DJ Dityfinger @ Shea Stadium (20 Meadow St, Bushwick) 8pm, $8, all ages, presented by Bike in the Kitchen
♫ Bare Mutants/ Outer Minds/ DJ Vashti @ Union Pool (484 Union Ave) 9pm, RSVP
• 5th Annual Go Green! Greenpoint Earth Day Festival @ McCarren Park, 11am-5pm, eco-friendly artists, crafters, educators, and community groups, as well as educational displays, Greencycle swap, art exhibits, contests for kids, and enviro-friendly handmade wares, more info
• Cinco De Mayo @ Papacito’s Backyard (999 Manhattan Ave) 11am-4am, mariachi, surf rock, cheap beer, tequila, margaritas, all day, all night, more info
• Greenpointers Cinco De Mayo Launch Party @ Greenpoint Heights (278 Nassau Ave) 9pm, Celebrate the launch of this website, meet the contributors, eat tacos, drink margaritas, Greenpoint photo booth, prizes, music by Cowboy Mark! RSVP
• Discover Williamsburg Walking @ Greenpoint Renaissance Center (2 Kingsland Ave) $20, Explore the former Greenpoint Hospital Site, Old Bushwick Green, St. Nicholas Church, Jennings Hall, Huber and Hittleman’s Brewery, and other historic landmarks. Led by Historian John Dereszewski, BUY TIX
♫ NY Night Train Happening: Welcome Back Jonathan Toubin Dance Party @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave) 8pm, JONATHAN TOUBIN, derailed for five months after an accident in Portland is feeling better and on his way home to Brookyln to return to what he does – throwing down the wildest 45rpm dance vinyl you’ve never heard, RSVP
* OCD Lecture: The Biggest Apple @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St.) 7:30-9pm, FREE, panel discussion by journalist Amy on population trends, urban planning, and the conceptual limits of density here in the Big Apple.
♫ Total Warr/ Hello Phones/ Rimar/ RobertCop @ Glasslands Gallery (289 Kent Ave.) 8:30pm, $10, BUY TIX
♦ WAGMAG Brooklyn Art Guide Benefit @ The Boiler (191 No. 14th St.) 7-9pm, a great event for art lovers in the area, with approximately 100 pieces of artwork generously donated by local galleries and artists for the raffles, BUY TIX
* Greenpointers’ Pick
♥ Pheremones Likely
♦ Art Event
At our Cinco De Mayo celebration this Saturday, not only will you enjoy awesome music, delicious tacos & margaritas and have a chance to win great prizes from: Five Leaves, Nights & Weekends, Paulie Gee, McCarren Bark, Freckle, Kill Devil Hill, Anella, Vintage Modern & Cato’s Army Navy, you will also get to pose in front of an infamous Greenpoint attraction, the digester eggs also know as the “shit tits”!
I think they call this the opportunity of a lifetime!
* SAVE THE DATE – CINCO DE MAYO WEBSITE LAUNCH PARTY – May 5, 2012 * •Time/Location: TBD (not the bar.)
Thanks to Command C, the new website is gorgeous, easy to navigate and functional!
• Free, User-friendly Calendar – upload your own events!
• Free, Neighborhood Directory – submit a listing!
• Dedicated spot for local charities
• Dedicated spot for local pet rescue
What you can do:
• Submit a listing to the directory
• Add events to the calendar
• Send me info on your charity (include name, logo & website)
• Keep me updated on Pet Lost & Found & Adoptions
• DONATE TO THE NEW WEBSITE FUND!!!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I want to thank everyone who has participated in our events and the local businesses who have sponsored Greenpointers. Thanks to the many contributors who create great content that makes the website awesome!
Since I took over Greenpointers.com, each penny I have generated through events, raffles, classes and advertising has gone to the new website fund!
Meet me halfway. If you love Greenpointers.com and value the service we provide to the local community, then please make a donation to the new website fund! Any amount greatly helps! $1, $5, $10 – $100 – we accept donations in any amount.
(I considered doing a Kickstarter fundraising campaign, but I’d rather focus on creating fun events and good content than making mugs and t-shirts. I hope the content and community service we provide is enough of a “perk” for you to donate.)
The fundraising drive ends with a Cinco De Mayo Party on May 5, 2012! Details to come… (two words: MAJOR DANCE-PARTY!!!)
Any donation over $10 will automatically be entered into our raffle! (You don’t have to be there to win.) Local businesses, please consider donating to the raffle!
I want to thank everyone for making Greenpoint awesome! It is really a pleasure and honor to work on this website.
More info: email me greenpointers (at) gmail.com