Information from The Brooklyn Kitchen Website:
• The Brooklyn Kitchen is No Longer accepting donations and no longer needs volunteers.
(If you are a collection or DROPOFF POINT/COLLECTION CENTER The Brooklyn Kitchen may be able to promote your location to volunteers and cars/drivers. Please e-mail hurricanehelp (at) thebrooklynkitchen.com with your location and phone number and we will add you to this site, and try to hook you up with volunteers, cars and trucks.)
*** CLOTHING DONATIONS ARE NOT NEEDED ANYWHERE ***
• MOST NEEDED ITEMS:
– cardboard boxes, tape, batteries, flashlights, baby formula and diapers, cleanup supplies, sanitary supplies/toiletries, garbage bags, blankets, canned/stable food and water.
• Call first to make sure your destination is still accepting donations.
• LOCATIONS ACCEPTING DONATIONS AS OF SUNDAY 11/4: (CALL AHEAD)
- Church of the Ascension, 122 Java St., Greenpoint, 917-885-3096
- American Legion, 519 Leonard St., Now-11pm Sat., 11a-7p Sun, (718) 383-9822
- Greenhouse Holistic yoga studio at 783 Driggs (@ S. 4th) 718-384-9454
- Malin Landaeus, 155 N6th St., 10:30am-9pm, 646.361.0261
- ESP TV, 141 S. 5th St., 646-684-5494
- LIC Market, 21-52 44th Drive Long island city, NY 11101, (718) 361-0013
- MOST Brooklyn Industries Stores, collecting this weekend, 512-461-1591
- Pilgrim Surf Supply 68 N 3rd St.Brooklyn, NY 11211, (718) 218-7456
• VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Rockaway Help (boots-on-the-ground via Assemblyman Mike Miller, et al)
- Redhook/Rockaway Rescue Facebook Page
- Redhook/Rockaway Recovery Facebook Page
- OCCUPY SANDY and OCCUPY SANDY FACEBOOK
- NYC Public Advocate Bill DiBlasio’s list of opportunities
- State Senator Liz Kreuger’s Update for 11/3-11/4
- Red Hook Recovers
- Lower East Side Recovers
- Staten Island Recovers
• CAR/GAS DONATIONS:
- Call any of the numbers from the “SUPPLIES TO DONATE” list above. Any/all of them may need cars to transport their collected donations.
- Assemblyman Michael Miller’s office needs cars and trucks (with fuel!) to shuttle supplies from their office on out to several distribution points in the Rockaways. You can contact them directly at 718-805-0950.
- We cannot stress enough that you ought to have plenty of gas in the tank before considering contributing your car. Even the local trips.
- For anyone thinking of driving directly to the Rockaways: Please remember that it’s a mess out there. There is debris in the road; stuff everywhere. Most cell service is out. If you get a flat tire, etc., you’re on your own. Everyone wants to help and your hearts are in the right place. Make sure your mind is in the right place too. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Love you guys! Hope that wasn’t too harsh!
• HAVE A CAR WITH SUPPLIES & DON’T KNOW WHERE TO DELIVER?
- If you have a full load of supplies and don’t know where to take them, here are some options. Be sure to CALL FIRST to make sure you have what they need.
Friday, November 2 through Sunday, November 4, 10am-8pm: Drop off materials at 83-91 Woodhaven Boulevard, Woodhaven, NY 11421. For questions about the donation drive, please call Assemblyman Mike Miller’s office at 718-805-0950. Miller’s office is distributing goods specifically to several locations in the Rockaways.
Friday, November 2 through Sunday, November 4, 10am-8pm: Drop off at 80-00 Cooper Avenue (the former Borders Bookstore site). For questions about the donation drive, please call Council Member Elizabeth Crowley’s office at 718-366-3900. (via Bill DiBlasio)
The Red Cross is operating a donation point at Resort World Casino (Aqueduct Racetrack), accepting many types of donations. Click through for directions, needs list, hours and contact information. Goods donated to the Red Cross may be used locally in Howard Beach and the Rockaways, or may be sorted and sent to other areas of need in the region. (via NYPD Community Affairs <– link)
Same message as before: For anyone thinking of driving directly to the Rockaways: Please remember that it’s a mess out there. There is debris in the road; stuff everywhere. Most cell service is out. If you get a flat tire, etc., you’re on your own. Everyone wants to help and your hearts are in the right place. Make sure your mind is in the right place too.