The Garden Spot, Week 14
Summer literally just began and already it’s a scorcher! My balcony garden has seen it’s fair share of extreme weather in the past 14 weeks, but I still wanted to make sure that I was doing everything I could to preserve my multitude of squashes and newly sprouting cilantro.
Here are some of the best tips I found:
- Water early in the morning or in the evening to avoid evaporation.
- Increase the shade or even move some of your more sensitive plants indoors if you can.
- Weed often so the plants save their energy and use water in the most productive way.
- Give your plants some space – I am planning on doing some serious re-potting over the weekend with fresh, moist soil to burst some life back into my crowded tomatoes.
- Some plants wont survive the heat, so decide if you want to replace your most wilted greens, or move on and plan better next year.
What are you doing to protect your garden from the heat? Leave some tips in the comments!