☺ The Nerds on The Wall. @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer St.), 7pm, FREE, Stand Up Comedy, RSVP ♫ Hereyouare Launch Party: Social Experiment 1 @ Good Room (98 Meserole St.), 7pm, $6-10, drink, dance, get a tattoo, do some Karaoke, Buy Tix ♫ Tank/ Sabine Holler/ Steph Chrysalis/ Breakaway @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, FREE, RSVP ♫ Funk You: 2 Year Anniversary @ House of Yes (2 Wyckoff Ave.), 10pm, FREE, RSVP
# Ovenly Studio ONE54: Intro to Cake Decorating @ Ovenly Studio One54 (154 Franklin St.), 6:45pm, $105, learn how to decorate Ovenly’s Brooklyn Blackout Cake, Buy Tix ♦ Neotenic Design – Closing Night Conversation & Panel Discussion @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.) 7pm, FREE, RSVP ^ Meet Josh Frank, author of Giraffes on Horseback Salad @ WORD (126 Franklin St.), 7:30pm, $5, A graphic novel about the true story of Salvador Dali, the Marx Brothers, and the Strangest Movie Never Made! Buy Tix ♫ Alien Trilogy / 1980Special Twin / Mez Swimmers / 2uarm / Alex C @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 8pm, $7, More InfoContinue reading →
♦ Wave, Particle, Duplex by Studio SWINE. @ A/D/O (29 Norman Ave.), 10am, FREE, More Info * Pinball with Park Church Co-op @ Sunshine Laundromat (860 Manhattan Ave.), 6pm, FREE, pinball and happy hour, Buy Tix ♦ Secrets of Green-Wood /// Sexless Cocaine Saturday @ The Brick (579 Metropolitan Ave.), 8pm, $20, a shadow play with puppets, Buy Tix ♫ Kangaroo~eCOCOBOYS~Henry Something~Jovial Cacophony @ Muchmore’s (2 Havemeyer), 9pm, $7, Buy Tix
♦ Drawing Brooklyn Presents: Figure Drawing and Pizza! @ 1oo Bogart (100 Bogart St.), 6:30pm, $15, Buy Tix # I AM A FILIPINO: Dinner with Nicole Ponseca and Miguel Trinidad @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.) 7pm, $50, Buy Tix ♦ Ceremonial Tattoo Artist Lecture with Huitzomitl @ Sacred Arts Research Center (107 Green St. #G55), 7pm, FREE, For the first time in New York, Huitzomitl, a Mexica Ceremonial artist, is going to share his research and practice of traditional tattoo, More Info ☺ Franny and Not Zooey Present A Comedy Show About Comedy @ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer St.), 7pm, FREE, More InfoContinue reading →
♫ Sonoro x Pragmatik w/ Daylomar[Unleash London] @ 101Brooklyn (134 Metropolitan Ave.), 6pm, FREE, 2-for-1 drinks 6-7pm, music all night, More Info * The Five Elements Within: Connecting With Your Body’s Road Map @ Anima Mundi (31 Noble St.), 7pm, $35-140, a 5-element workshop series, Buy Tix ♫ Daddy Issues, Leggy, Desert Sharks @ Baby’s Alright (146 Broadway.), 8pm, $12-14, Buy Tix ♦ We’re Going to Eat You (1980) by Tsui Hark @ Spectacle Theater (124 S. 3rd), 10pm, $5, Hong Kong New Wave fantasy, Buy Tix
* Public Visoning for Bushwick Inlet Park Design @ Bushwick Inlet Park Building (86 Kent Ave.), 6pm, FREE, More Info ♫ Laraaji, Rachika S @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St.) 7pm, $15-18, Buy Tix ^♫ NationalSawdust+: Paul Muldoon’s “Against the Grain” @ National Sawdust (80 North 6th), 7:30pm, $29-34, Literary music series, Buy Tix ♫ FYRN – bowed guitar quartet @ Arete Venue and Gallery (67 West St #103.), 8:30pm, $15, More InfoContinue reading →
The non-profit UnionDocs brings together a diverse community of activist artists, experimental media-makers, dedicated journalists, big thinkers, and local partners on a search for urgent expressions of the human experience, practical perspectives on the world today, and compelling visions for the future. The Williamsburg stronghold, located at 322 Union Avenue, has a number of educational (and affordable!) upcoming events.
Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased online or at the door. Many of the events will be followed by discussions with the artists or subjects involved, and tend to last until 10:30PM. See below to get a sense of what intriguing events are happening this winter!
Thursday, Jan 24 at 7:30 pm THERE IS A GAZE THRUST UPON ME Presentation by Joiri Minaya with conversation to follow with Mathilde Walker-Billaud What You Get Is What You See is back for 2019 featuring artist and performer Joiri Minaya. In this installment of the series, Minaya will present her research on tropical pattern design and its roots in exploration, exploitation and labor, and how this history continues through rampant capitalist tourism in the tropics.
Sunday, Jan 27 at 7:30 pm ORGANIZED ACTIVITIES With Nellie Kluz & LJ Frezza We’re thrilled to welcome filmmaker Nellie Kluz all the way from the Windy City to present ORGANIZED ACTIVITIES, a program comprised almost entirely of NYC Premieres of her short documentary works. Vadim Rizov praised her documentary style in Filmmaker Magazine with the observation that ” Kluz’s inquisitive eye captures glimpses of often kitschy or strange events without abandoning well-meaning curiosity.”
Friday, Feb 1 at 7:30 pm CHARACTER LIMIT With Sable Elyse Smith, Brett Story, and Travis Wilkerson & Dr. Alexandra Juhasz This evening focuses in on an article from World Records Volume 2 Ways of Organizing. We’ll gather artists Sable Elyse Smith, Brett Story, and Travis Wilkerson to screen and discuss excerpts from their recent work to examine how and why their practices subvert the formal and political logics of character-driven storytelling.
♦ Katya Grokhovsky: Bad Acts @ Wythe Hotel (80 Wythe Ave.), 6:30pm, FREE w/ RSVP, video, live performance and Q+A part of the Wythe Hotel Artist Residency Series, more info * VOCÊ episode 4: real talk, realpolitik @ Bar Uni (674 Manhattan Ave.), 7pm, FREE, poetry, music, meditation, comedy and politics, More Info ♫ Bot Garden, The Big Net, Hard Pass, **Secret Set** at SPR @ Secret Project Robot (1186 Broadway), 7:30pm, $8, rock, Indie and punk, More Info * Late Nights On Air / mayday heyday parfait / Landing Sites @ Center for Performance Research (361 Manhattan Ave), 7:30pm, $10-12, Buy Tix
* Intro to Dream Interpretation @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave.), 7pm, $15, Buy Tix ^♫ Houston Rap Tapes: Lance Scott Walker and Jacques Morel @ McNally Jackson Williamsburg (76 North 4 St.) 7pm, FREE, an oral history of Bayou City Hip Hop, More Info ♦ The Image You Missed @ Union Docs (322 Union Ave.), 7:30pm, $10, Personal history interspersed with the history of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, Buy Tix ♦ Opening Reception: Self-Indulgence VS Subtexture @ Sage Brooklyn (299-301 Graham Ave.), 8pm, FREE, More InfoContinue reading →
# Pasta Fresca Plate @ Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $20, RSVP ☺Funhouse Comedy@ Pete’s Candy Store (709 Lorimer), 8pm, FREE, More info ♫ On Rotation Wednesdays @ Rose Gold (96 Morgan Ave), 10pm, FREE,Wednesdays in May crews from record shops around the city bring their collections and curate the sounds of the evening. More Info
♦ Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with a Brandy Alexander @ Videology (308 Bedford Ave.), 6:45pm, $24, Buy Tix ♦ The Art Party @ House of Vans (25 Franklin St.), 7pm, $50, Buy Tix ♦ Screening of Saving Jamaica Bay @Kings County Brewers Collective (381 Troutman St), 7pm, FREE, A documentary screening hosted by Kingsland Wildflowers, More Info ♦ Art Opening: Not Enough Blood @ Brouwerij Lane (78 Greenpoint Ave), 7pm, FREE, Original Art by Andy Fletcher, More Info ☺ LOLOLpalooza @ Threes (113 Franklin St.), 8pm, $5, Music Comedy acts will range from folk punk to freestyle hiphop to piano torch songs, More Info ♦ Not an Ending at All @ Triskelion Arts (106 Calyer), 8pm, $18, An evening-length work which explores the homes we build for the spirits that haunt us, Buy TixContinue reading →
^Letters in the Dirt @The Brick (579 Metropolitan Avenue), 7pm, $20, This play places its audience face-to-face with the insightful Aiyana Jones— a seven-year-old girl fatally shot by police in 2010 during a botched raid in Detroit, now a symbol within the Movement for Black Lives. Buy Tix ♫ Full Frontal Female Fronted @Our Wicked Lady (153 Morgan Ave) 8pm, $5, Buy Tix ♫ Grand St. Stompers: 20s Jazz @Radegast (113 N 3rd St.), 9pm, FREE, Grab some German food & drink and join the quintet for dancing, listening, and hanging, More Info ☺ Freshly Baked: Cookies and Comedy @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Avenue), 9pm, FREE, rotating lineup, surprise special guests and homemade baked goods, More Info
* Economic Development Committee Mtg — Community Board 1 @ CB1 District Office (435 Graham Avenue), 6:30pm, FREE, More Info * Cacao Ceremony & Reiki Experience @Anima Mundi Herbals (35 Noble Street), 7pm, $40, Are you ready to cultivate a deep loving sensation within your heart? Are you ready to deepen your loving relationship with yourself and others? Buy Tix # Pasta Fresca Plate! @Archestratus (160 Huron St.), 7pm, $20,Archestratus is very excited to kick off a new weekly dinner gathering! A relaxed evening of fresh, homemade pasta from a pasta-making Chef + Friend of Archie’s, RSVP ♫ Abraham Brody & Trys Keturiose: Ancestors @National Sawdust (80 N 6th St.), 7pm, $20, Buy tix ♫ PULP FICTION LIVE performed by The Last Nites @ The Knitting Factory (361 Metropolitan Avenue), 8pm, $12-15, Buy TixContinue reading →
# Global Tea Hut monthly gathering @ Puerh Brooklyn Tea Shop (174 Grand Street), 6pm, $5 suggested, Join our tea community for a relaxed gathering over tea. Open to all., More info ♦ The Simpsons Bingo @ Videology (308 Bedford Avenue), 6:45pm, FREE, It’s time for The Simpsons bingo! What better way to celebrate the longest running TV comedy of all time than with a good old ding-dong-diddily game of BINGO? Every Wednesday night we’ll be watching The Simpsons and playing BINGO. Watch for things like Duff beer, celebrity cameos, and the Itchy and Scratchy show. Listen for quotes like “D’oh!” “Eat my shorts!” and “Excellent…” Get a BINGO and you’ll win a free drink (or doughnut that makes you go “Mmmm”)! More info ♫ Crowbar Artificial Brain Extinction A.D Kings Destroy Sunro @Brooklyn Bazzar (150 Greenpoint Avenue), 8pm, $14, Buy Tix ♫ Easy @Union Pool (848 Union Avenue), 8pm, $10-12, More info
* Juggling Taxes for Freelancers @ The Muse (350 Moffat St.), 5:00pm, FREE, Are you self-employed? Do you receive 1099s? Do you file a Schedule C? Then this class is for you – Brooklyn Coop wants to help you SAVE on your taxes! RSVP *# Edible Landscaping with Hortus Conclusus @ Lonard Library (81 Devoe St.), 6:30pm, FREE, With spring just around the corner, this edition of the Green Series features members from Hortus Conclusus, a Level II Arboretum, who teach us how to landscape our backyard garden using a rich diversity of edible fruiting plants from around the world, including the under-appreciated wild fruit from New York State’s native forest. RSVP ♫ Moon Tooth/Without Waves/Disparager/Juan Bond @ St. Vitus (1120 Manhattan Ave.), 7:00 pm, $10, Buy tix ♦ What is the Model City? @ UnionDocs (322 Union Avenue), 7:30pm, $10, Join architect and historian Susanne Schindler as she explains the origins, trajectory and legacies of the Great Society program launched in 1966, Buy tix ♫ Playing with Shadows: Drink and Draw @ Naive (299 South 4th Street), 8:30pm, $15, Joing us for a glass of wine, our relaxed, social vibe and two sessions with a semi-clothed model are all included in the price of the ticket. There won’t be an instructor, but a professional artist will be on hand to answer any questions you might have. You should bring your own supplies, but we will have pencils, printer paper and crayons on hand if you forget, More info Continue reading →
For just $1 get a ride to nearby subway stations to/from Greenpoint with Via, an on-demand ridesharing app!! Download the app here and set your pick up or drop-off location by moving the pin on the map to the locations for any of the following train stations:
^ Tables of Contents Reading Series: Hunt! Gerrard! Caldwell! @Egg (109 North 3rd St), 7pm, $5, Each reading will be paired with snacks inspired by its text, plus you’ll be in for an author-curated playlist and a rangy Q&A/discussion on writing, craft, aversion, and creativity to wrap up the night. Beer and wine will be available for purchase, and WORD will be present slinging text, More info ☺ Ladies Who Ranch @ Vital Joint (109 Meserole St), 8pm, $5-10, Group of women does jokes for laughs at comedy show to change the national conversation. The show is followed by the Ladies Who Ranch Open Mic, an experimental comedy mic that especially encourages multimedia performances, More info ♫# Live Flamenco in St Charles Cellar @St. Mazie Bar (345 Grand St), 8pm, FREE, A night of authentic Flamenco in our beautiful speakeasy. Full dinner menu available as well as a 3 course Pre fixe menu, cocktails, absinthe and more… Ole!, More info ♫ Carte Blanche @Radegast Hall (113 N 3rd St), 9pm, FREE,French, Latin and American tunes while you sample the incredible selection of authentic german beers on tap and maybe have a giant german pretzel or bratwurst from the grill!! Space to dance!, More info
* Kombrewcha’s International Women’s Day Celebration @ The Williamsburg Hotel (96 Wythe Ave), 6:00pm, $3, Boss Ladies doing big things. We’ll be hosting a panel on Women Who Do. Buy tix * NYC DRAFT Meetup @ PencilWorks (61 Greenpoint Ave), 6:30pm, FREE, Fast-paced hour of ideas, entrepreneurs and bikes, capturing the exciting things happening in the bike industry, RSVP ♫ ♦ Art on the Airwaves @ Union Docs (322 Union Avenue), 7:30 pm, $10, A showcase of radio documentary selected by James T. Green, cofounder of Postloudness, a collective of independent audio shows by people of color, women, and queer-identified hosts that aims to create a community of unique voices in audio. Buy tix ♫ Anna McClellan (Record Release), Navy Gangs @ ALPHAVILLE (140 Wilson Avenue), 10pm, $10, Buy tix ♫ Mughal Legion 3 Ft. Fanaa @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 10pm, FREE, Part 3 of a monthly-ish series of musical rites to be performed at Legion Bar, curated by Mughal Muesli. More info Continue reading →
* Witchcraft 101: Saintcraft @ Catland (987 Flushing Ave), 7:30pm, $20, Explore the age-old use of Catholic Saints and iconology within folk magic traditions throughout the world, Buy tix ♫ The Hold Steady @ Brooklyn Bowl (61 Wythe Ave), 8pm, $40, Buy tix ♫ Susie Ibarra (Album Release) w/ DreamTime Ensemble @ Park Church Co-op (129 Russell St), 8pm, $15, The pieces for this album were inspired by the idea of perception and sensory experiences. Perception allows the ability to take in sensory information, make it into something meaningful and to interact with our environment, Buy tix
♦ Brickman Brothers Art Galla @ Terra Firma (119 Ingraham St), 6pm, FREE, The Brickman Brothers have decided to join forces to bring to you a night of our art. Accompanying the art will be amazing music spun on vinyl by Rich Chwastiak, More info # Vegan Night @ Archestratus Books + Food (160 Huron St), 7pm, $20 or less, An evening of Sicilian, family-style food inspired by Nonna, RSVP * How To Love Yourself: Raw & Real w/ Kaela May @ Root Mamma (236 Richardson St), 7:30pm, $22, Discuss how we can actively release and shed the inner conflict & battle while shifting into ease & acceptance, RSVP ♫ Babylawns, Travis Alexander, Dodgeball, hammydown @ Gutter Bar (200 N 14th St), 9pm, FREE, More info ☺ Ya’ll Ready for This @ Legion Bar (790 Metropolitan Ave), 9:30pm, FREE, C’mon and slam!, More info Continue reading →