Flying Squirrel (87 Oak Street) got its start more then a decade ago by filling a void. Its owner, Kate Schmitz, was schlepping in and out of Manhattan with things for her friend’s 1-year-old twins. At the same time, they were concerned about what would happen when the kids grew out of all that little kid stuff. They worried that those “two huge plastic ExerSaucers on the curb were going to take up a lot of space in a landfill.” And thus—the idea for Flying Squirrel was born, complete with cool logo design by illustrator Carl Dunn. Now that in Brooklyn you rarely need to go to Manhattan for anything, Flying Squirrel offers an expertly curated selection of new and used children’s clothing, toys and books for families that have made their home in the neighborhood. Continue reading
- Man Stabbed to Death on J Train in Williamsburg
- Gimme! Coffee Permanently Closes Williamsburg Shop
- Children’s Sing Along Connects Socially Distant Greenpoint Neighbors
- Dog Parks Are Now Closed in Greenpoint and Throughout NYC
- Greenpoint This Week: Williamsburg Rent Waived, ‘Essential’ Construction Map Revealed, Beloved Shop Owners Pass Away, and More!